Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

-More nasty stuff like Javelins can do the job, but it remains to be seen if they can work their magic during standup firefights between comparable forces. Like heavier SACLOS ATGMs, they require a constant sight on target during travel time and can direct a lot of attention to the person firing them, as well as everyone standing around that person.

I thought the big advantage of Javelin/NLAW is that they are fire and forget and don't need constant sight on target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Concerned Citizen posted:

i recall reading prior to this war that the russians believed mud was only a problem for western tanks, because their tanks were lighter and better able to traverse it. maybe kind of true, but it still seems to be quite a problem.

It blows my mind that they never accounted for this. Like, they had to have done training maneuvers in this terrain sometime in the oh...past 30 years?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I thought the Iskander was a hypersonic semi-ballistic missile? I mean technically if conditions were absolutely perfect I could see a gun intercept, but ... i dunno, seems kinda unlikely.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Griefor posted:

Are those all different antitank weapons? Do they serve similar purposes or not? I know Ukraine got a ton of different stuff from different countries but I would think giving a squad the same stuff would make more sense so that if you lose Panzerfaust A you can still fire Panzerfaust ammo from Panzerfaust B. But maybe I'm missing something?

Yeah if you have them in sufficient quantities. Right now theyre just handing out whatever they are getting from the west immediately to units on the field.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I've said this before but I feel like the CIA and DOD are going to have a field day with this captured equipment. Pristine Russian vehicles just left on the sides of roads? It's like an analyst's dream.

I know they probably know the schematics and stuff but I feel like that's different than seeing and evaluating it in person.

I think the only one we dont have is a TOR. everything else, we already have examples of all this stuff. The tanks we've seen except for the armata, which hasn't been seen yet.

Pantsir was captured in Libya already

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Do the Russians even have working Armatas?

It wasn't even supposed to enter production until this year

And I imagine we would have seen them by now.

Define "working".

There are a few prototypes running around, but doubtful they would be risked in Ukraine.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't rule it out. Before the First Gulf War, we were all taught that a Bradley's 25mm autocannon couldn't harm tanks. Of course, some Bradleys got into firefights with tanks but without enough time to deploy their TOW missile launcher, and found out that yes, 25mm depleted uranium will turn a T-72 into swiss cheese, even from the front. It turns out these weapon effects were known, but were kept highly classified. So the war planners generally knew it, but the vehicle crews did not.

25mm DU rounds will pen a T-72 frontally? Is this over repeated hits or weak spots?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

From the sides, not the front.

Right, but the quote referenced distinctly said "...and found out that yes, 25mm depleted uranium will turn a T-72 into swiss cheese, even from the front. "

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure giving troops Chinese MREs is helpful. Steve1989 said that the only times he got sick from eating MREs were from chinese MREs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96m5lB8nzA

And this is someone who's eaten Civil war hardtack, and Boer war beef broth.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think there is any country who doesn't have ridiculous-rear end sounding weapons.

China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Weapons_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

Its like an accountant's wet dream.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
On the tanks thing, It doesn't really matter if Russia has thousands more tanks in storage. Even if they pull them out, those are likely old models, with no modernization, so likely no ERA, regular optics, and no thermals.

Ukraine still has tanks. Old T72s are going to have a problem going up against modernized variants, let alone the massive amounts of AT/ATGMs out there. Your poor Russian tanker in his old T72 likely cant see poo poo as he slowly trundles into firing range of a Javelin team, and then gets blown the gently caress up.

Theres that old saying, having a tank is better than not having a tank in a fight.

Which would be true except the other side has a hilarious number of anti tank weaponry.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

the white hand posted:

7.62x54R will go through things no intermediate cartridge will. Having said that, that guy looks like he either got assigned a lovely weapon or brought one from home/his lovely collection.

Regardless of miniscule differences in penetration, I would much rather have an AK variant than a mosin. Therein lies the problem for these militiamen.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

jmnmu posted:

https://twitter.com/EerikNKross/sta...6d71cc12a21%2F0

Pretty shocking seeing high ranking Russians dying left right and centre in a modern war. Would've figured they would be way behind the lines orchestrating things.

LOL at the Russians losing a general at the same airport that had been attacked like 4 or 5 times already.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Those mines are probably 30 years old. You try dropping them from 2 meters. Ill stand waaaaay over here.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

Most Russian aircraft have some sort of radar detector device in them I think. It tells you if you’re getting hit with radar pulses and will even show you if you’re being locked onto.

I wonder if NATO Patriot batteries or awacs along the borders confuse the gently caress out of Russian planes because they’re never sure if it’s a Ukrainian AD system that spotted them or if it’s NATO just loving with them.

It’s not an act of war if you just lock on your guidance but don’t fire.

Its like 300 miles from the Polish border to Kyiv. I highly doubt Patriot is locking things that far away.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

People always talk about how bad of an idea that Ukraine gave up the nukes they inherited after the Cold War ended but that it was wildly impractical to keep them for various reasons. But had they kept the bombers they might be making a real difference in this war.

How would strategic bombers help Ukraine ? Ukrainian planes and helos are having to fly at treetop level to avoid radar. Strategic bombers might be more of a liability than be of use in this kind of war. Those things would just be asking to get S-400'd.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Someone asked the fellows in Chad who invented the technical if they thought these weapons would be much good against a modern army. "Of course not," said one Toyota-welder, "but we weren't fighting a modern army, were we?"

I think there was an instance during the Iraq invasion where the Fedayeen Saddam tried using technicals and stuff to attack a US position during a sandstorm and got loving wrecked.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats an "Unmanned coastal defense vessel" given as part of the aid package?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
There is absolutely no way theyre going to finish the Ukrayina. Its a 40 year old rusted out hulk.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Honestly one of the lessons from this should be that the West needs to pay the MIC a little bit of R&D money to throw together some 'wartime production model' versions of current designs. Stripped right down of all the fancy optional extras, 'what is the cheapest, easiest to mass-produce thing you can come up with that will do the job'.

You can't just spin up entirely new factories or long suttered production lines, but you can flip existing lines onto 'you need to make 10 tanks a day ready for export, they don't have to be good they just have to be enough'.

e: something something 'the exchange rate':

https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1516464028729679872

What if you never shut down the tank lines even in peacetime, and just keep cranking out tanks and putting them into storage?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can you even identify remains if a tank's ammo cooks off ?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Did the US actually provide the UA with ML270 MLRS? That seems to be a pretty significant game changer.

That thing is known as a "Grid Square Removal System"

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

is there anything comparable to the PZH 2000 in US arsenal in terms of modernity? The M777 seemed like a hand-me-down but still better than what Russians had

at least until you get into MLRS or PGMs

No. We had something in development which would have been comparable/better, the XM2001 Crusader, but that got canned. PzH 2000 might arguably be the best self-propelled artillery system in the world right now.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Budzilla posted:

Too add what others have said. There was a discussion years ago here of a video of some Brit troops using a Javelin in Afghanistan to take out an entrenched position. Someone wondered why they would use such as an expensive piece of kit to do so, but if you chose an alternative like air support that would be much more expensive. Also if you try to send your own guys they are at risk of getting killed - leaving aside the human loss of life - training, transporting, supplying and deploying a replacement soldier is hell of expensive and it makes a Javelin missile an affordable alternative. An AT weapon can be used for multiple purposes including being the ultimate skeleton key.

Isn't that why we have Carl Gustafs? A cheap way to give someone way over there a nice present of high explosives or thermobarics?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder what the math is on whatever measure of effectiveness they used vs the cost of using tungsten over steel in that role.

Ability to penetrate an AFV versus not?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I would think so, but man what mobile explosives could do that?

Truck bomb? Oklahoma City was a box truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

I doubt the Iranians minded all that much.

Did they even have anything in the 90s that could detect and shoot down tomahawks?