Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How many times did Russia say they were withdrawing from Syria and yet kept bombing it daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ronya posted:

Big if true?

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1493875669809442816

Exercises are scheduled to end in four days right?

Belarus to Russian troops: "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Grammarchist posted:

A bizarre number of CHUDS are overtly adopting the narrative that Ukraine was drifting toward the EU and being corrupted or forced to adopt more friendly LGBT attitudes. Ergo, Putin needs to liberate the country to restore Christian rights. It's not particularly new, but it's still weird to see offline.

Chuds and the Russian government have basically the same stance on everything.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, the EU does tend to push back on a lot of anti-LGBT stuff (this is happening with Poland and Hungary iirc). So for once, CHUDs not wrong, but also: on the side of the oppressors. So still wrong.

This speaks more to the west/east divide in the EU. Eastern EU countries tend to be more homophobic, mysognystic, and authoritarian. So naturally they align more with Russia and American conservatives.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wow so Zelensky went to Munich after all. That probably wasn't a good idea.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rodiel posted:

turky was strait up fighting the us airforce in syria

Did this really happen? I'm not saying you're lying I'm just curious about it. Do you know any source for this? I know multiple air forces have been flying over Syria for years now so it wouldn't surprise me if something accidental happened but I've never heard of the Turkish airforce intentionally firing upon US planes.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder if the wests strategy to prevent an invasion is to constantly have high level talks with the Russians even if they don't think any breakthrough will happen. Like from what I understand Antony Blinkon is supposed to meet Lavrov in Europe later in the week. My guess is that Russia won't greenlight any invasion while talks like that are ongoing. So inevitably when those talks fail, someone like Macron or whoever can just engage with Putin again yet another round of last minute talks and keep this cycle going as long as possible.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I haven't heard many Putin speeches in my life. Is this speech a normal level of crazy for him or is it unusually crazy?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Kenya's UNSC speech is actually really good

I was just thinking the same thing. Calling out Russia for being stuck in it's imperial past and if anyone would know a thing or 2 about being the victim of imperialism it's Kenya (and all of Africa in general).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Let's be honest. Was the Federal Council ever anything other a rubber stamp for Putin? We aren't talking about a government with checks and balances here.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

I think nuclear Ukraine may be partly a troll about Iraqi WMDs

I think that's exactly it. I don't think Russia legitimately thinks that Ukraine presents a nuclear threat but they do like to point out Western hypocrisy.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

That was 20 years and 4 presidents ago

No it was only 20 years ago and 1 president ago (in Russia) :smuggo:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Betty Wight posted:

I really hope the west decides to skip the rest of the bullshit and just start putting troops in Ukraine. Russia doesn’t have the troops or resources to fight a protracted multi front war and Putin won’t use nukes as long as Russia itself isn’t invaded.

The whole situation is dumb.

Do you want WW3 because that's how you get WW3.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ted hitler hunter posted:

Do you know if there is anything similar for the other side?

Um move to Russia, obtain citizenship and pay taxes to help fund their imperial war machine?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Betty Wight posted:

You can’t do nothing with fascist dictators! How many times do we have to learn this lesson as a species? When a fascist dictator decides to start grabbing poo poo, it’s time to do something about it. Putin is a thug that needs to be dealt with. Don’t invade Russia but make Ukraine a hard stopping point. Make him grind his army to dust in the Donbas.

If you are more afraid of a nuclear exchange than your opponent than they will have leverage over you. Putin must be matched force with force.

You really need to lay off the call of duty.

Should the west be flooding Ukraine with weapons to defend themselves? I think so. Should the west send actual military units to fight the Russians in Ukraine? Hell no unless you want to possibly see American cities wiped out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Something I'm kind of worried about is if Russia starts moving west in Ukraine and has air superiority over the country then they might start targeting weapons shipments from the west. If a Russian mig shoots down an American or EU transport plane full of weapons that's going to be a really big escalation.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Will any Russian citizens actually see this?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I don't go anywhere near Facebook or Instagram. Are people posting pictures of themselves overlaid with a Ukrainian flag yet? Like they did with the French flag after the Paris terror attacks.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Marco Rubio announced the invasion to the people of the United States not our president. God Save the Queen.

Rubio is a piece of poo poo but he's probably just repeating the Intel he's hearing from Senate briefings. The president no doubt had the most up to date intel.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The CNN reporter in Kiev said the Ukrainian Interior Minister confirmed the invasion has begun and there have been missile strikes in Kiev.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

coelomate posted:

Marco Rubio is live tweeting this, probably the most accurate and breaking info on an overall strategic level: https://twitter.com/marcorubio

Yes. I know more than half of that sentence was absurd.

Honestly why would anyone believe what Rubio is saying? Just because he's in the Senate doesn't mean he's not just talking out his rear end to try to make Biden look bad.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
You'd think goons in this thread would know better than to post random rear end Twitter "reports" from dubious rear end sources

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
CNN is showing video of armored units (either Russian or Belarusian) just driving right through the northern border into Ukraine from Belarus.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

So who the hell is this guy and why should we believe what he is saying.

Come on people.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Are you with the Russian MOD denying it?

I'm not denying anything. I just think people should post better sources than "random guy saying "Ukraine" shot down some planes". Like the original tweet didn't say anything about a Ukrainian official giving that information.

Like even if he is a good source it's not like people know who the hell he is so at least tell us who he is or it's functionally worthless.

But anyway it's good news. Shoot down all those fascist fucks.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

https://twitter.com/SAQI8732/status/1496730226679709698

Can't really tell if this is a bullshit fake video or not to be honest. Allegedly Kyiv....

(CW: no violence in video - just planes passing overhead. Still scary poo poo though)

This has to be total bullshit. Like I'm no military expert but why would Russia fly all their latest and great poo poo like SU75s? And TU160s at such a low altitude and so slow that they could literally be hit by Stinger missiles? This is probably video taken from some air show in Russia and some shithead put a fake air raid siren over it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kirios posted:

This thread feels like it is going way too slow with how quickly things are progressing.

It's because slow mode is on

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Despera posted:

Not sure what "terms" the Ukraine could have come to with Putin. Hes been harping on all week how the Ukraine isn't a country. Become Belarussia 2.0 is probably the best the Ukraine could have gotten.

It's Ukraine. Not "The Ukraine". That's what it was called in Soviet times when it was just another Soviet republic.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

This really sounds like something they should do in retaliation for a Russian cyber attack on the US. If we do it first well... I hope everyone likes living without electricity for god knows how long.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, that's what I thought. This man got on that plane 100% knowing he'd not be coming back, and that Flanker looked to be taking the advantageous position at the end of the clip.

https://mobile.twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496835721109422081
And minutes later saw this footage, and saluted. Most likely that was it. VDV took the airport.

BUT THEN

<snip>
That's a Fulcrum! Russians aren't fielding Fulcrums!

Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, I'm saying that Fulcrum pilot scratched the Su-30SM in a dogfight, landed, rearmed, and returned to start dropping rockets on the VDV at altitude zero because if he flies any higher for more than a moment he gets aced by SAMs.

I dare you to give me a radar track that says different, because the Ukrainians simply do NOT have a lot of MiG-29s left or we'd be seeing a lot of them, and from what we've seen this guy is doing the same sort of extremely low altitude poo poo from the other video.

Do we know who owned those destroyed tanks?

And goddamn that Mig rocket attack video is horrifying :(

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 24, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So all those reports from yesterday about Russians landing in Odessa, did any of that turn out to be true?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What was the point of the Russians capturing Chernobyl anyway?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

1 mSv is the limit for your average Joe Public per year. The hot spots there are about .655 mSv per hour.

It's not a ton. A CAT scan is like 20 mSv. Wikipedia says the maximum dose estimated for Fukushima refugees was 68 mSv. But it is nothing to sneeze at.

So not great. Not terrible.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If everything that I have been reading about the Ukrainian airforce over the last 24 hours is true then I have to say that for an airforce that probably no longer exists they did one hell of a job with what they had.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

Maybe Poland?

:tinfoil: Conspiracy time:tinfoil:

Maybe they are Polish Mig29s with Ukrainian roundels and flown by Polish pilots?

Please don't take me seriously.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1497029144898682890
More and more volunteers across Europe will enter Ukraine to give Putin a bloody nose.

So there's obviously a British guy there but it sounds like he's talking to an American. I wonder what his story is.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Why are Turkish drones bombing Russian tanks? Someone posted a tweet some pages back. I guess the question is more along the lines of (if true) why is Turkey directly intervening when the rest of the world won’t?

2. As per the tweet above with the British volunteer. Uhh, what exactly is the legality of a non-citizen of a country to pick up a rifle and start shooting/helping the country they’re in?

1: Turkish made drone. Not controlled by the Turks. And that particular video was probably not in Ukraine.

2: At this point Ukraine will probably take whatever help they can get. I can't speak for other countries but I believe for Americans it's very legal to engage in war tourism.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Man this is nuts. It's crazy how fast the world changes.

Like if you told me 20 years ago that in 2022 the biggest geopolitical crisis would be in Eastern Europe I'd think you're crazy. Hell if you told me that even 10 years ago I wouldn't believe it. The US was so knee-deep in the the middle east and the war on terror for so long it just seemed like that part of the world would be global flashpoint forever. So many times I have watched news broadcasts from Baghdad with bombs blowing things up I never in a million years thought I'd see that same kind of imagery in downtown Kiev.

Even after the Russian invasion of Crimea and Donbas in 2014 I really never thought they'd go any further than that. But here we are.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
CNN is saying that the Ukrainian minister said the big explosion in the sky was a Russian missile they shot down.

I didn't even know Ukrainian AA had that ability.

Charliegrs fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Anybody know what this is? As has been posted, it came off the downed object. Unfortunately some damage on the apartment building it fell on. Hopefully no injuries on the ground, but definitely people displaced from their homes.

Brown Moses could probably identify that in 5 minutes