Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

about 80%? russia's at fault here, but this could have been easily avoidable if bush admin didn't say the thing despite knowing full well ukraine is never getting in because not every nato ally wants them in. putin would have zero reason to do anything in ukraine if ukraine wasn't a nato candidate

Weird though that the support for joining NATO was still below staying away from it in 2014 when Russia invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

western state apparatuses and media are hyping this supposed invasion that's kicking off in 2 weeks, and how we should totally help ukraine (for 8 years straight now i might add), and just generally spreading stupid fear, almost like they're planning some kind of false flag themselves

And yet there's only one side that can actually commit to an invasion or back off from it, so why are you blaming Ukraine or NATO for 'sabre rattling'

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Red and Black posted:

The Maidan coup lead to a pro-EU/US government as evidenced by them almost immediately taking on a huge IMF loan with structural adjustments. It really isn't that hard to connect the dots to potential NATO membership and handing over the naval base. This is the calculation Russia made and acted on.

Didn't the government of Ukraine offer to extend the least of their (you know Ukrainian, ie. not Russian) naval base, before Russia made the offer moot by just invading and taking it over, of course.

EDIT: It was leased until 2042, so :shrug: I guess, that makes it all right to invade.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 14, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Red and Black posted:

I mean, Russia is well within its rights to move its troops around inside of Russia. Also I don't think the claimed 100,000 troops is quite "half" of the Russian army

And also apparently it's within their rights to take a stroll across the border as well?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TipTow posted:

Can you cite an example of this happening prior to the Baltics' ascension?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_military_presence_in_Transnistria

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Red and Black posted:

Can someone give me a run down on what evidence there is that Russia even invaded the Donbass?

https://www.bellingcat.com/category/resources/case-studies/?fwp_tags=russia%2Cukraine

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Sure there are hypothetical situations where arming Ukraine would in my opinion be the right thing to do. But reality is nowhere near any of those situations.

So do you believe that there's anything that can/should be done to stave off a war of aggression here, or is teleporting safely to the other end of the world the only way for Ukraine to go forward?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Trump posted:

Didn't one of the doom and gloom tweets predict this? Or was this vote publically known?

It was known for a couple of days that there'd be a vote this week (don't remember if it was supposed to be today specifically).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Orthe US president, who famously even gets their turds collected from a portable toilet by a secret service agent out of the same fear.

I thought that was so no information about potential diseases leak into other countries' hands?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

I know nothing about European politics but... why would they care?

It'd mean that they'd actually have to care. Also similar arguments that were posted in the thread - it's far away, why should they care, potentially less money doing business with Russia, 'deescalation', etc.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Apparently Rostov's leadership had no idea this was happening, so there are no evacuation centers set up to accommodate these people when they reach Russia.

It's not like caring about wellbeing of people was ever a priority on Putin's mind or he would stop stuff like artillery shelling of civilian centers or shooting down planes.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rodiel posted:

Is Crimea in question? I dont think that anything anyone can do will make Crimea, Ukrainian. Short of invasion and recolonization by them.

I believe he means Russia securing a land bridge to Crimea - to ease the supply of water/electricity/etc (the former was pretty bad so far).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe one day Russia will learn that them invading neighboring countries doesn't lead to the population being #1 fans of the new regime, and that it will tend to work against them, not with them. Oh well, maybe this time it'll work out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I went in yesterday and there was a television screen

I haven't been following domestic rwm coverage of this and I'm not sure I want to.

I'm actually surprised his single remaining brain cell made him double take and switch from 'the Ukraine' to 'Ukraine'.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

szary posted:

No thanks, how about we gift Podkarpackie to Ukraine instead

This seems like a cruel and unusual punishment for being invaded, I'm sure it's covered by the Geneva Convention.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Where's that picture where certain segments of Koreans claim that the Joseon empire spanned to Britain?

I'm assuming you don't mean the Finno-Korean Hyperwar maps?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Wafflepoet posted:

You need to respect the fact that this is literally Putin’s justification for invading Ukraine. It doesn’t matter if that is a valid justification to you or anyone else. There are so many people refusing to accept this - worse, people who point this out are accused of being Russian apologists!

His justification is that Ukraine isn't a real country, it was made up by Lenin, is run by Nazis and that it wants to aim nuclear missiles at Moscow.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Do we know what's happening with the Russian and Ukrainian navies? Was the Kuznetsov part of the 'drills' and it's fulfilling its role as a mobilea
smokescreen over the Black Sea or was it still dry docked at the time?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

'We want to give the peoples of Ukraine a chance to self-determination without outside interference'.

There isn't a :fuckoff: big enough in the world.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497225449755263009?s=20&t=fSYuhaK9ezR-7xbnPCUNKQ

These terms are obviously not palatable to Ukraine, but it suggests what their initial concessions would be if Ukraine surrendered early.

Weapons? What weapons? There are humanitarian supplies.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

The LNR/DNR part is just a dick move, but the rest seems like "reasonable" here's your chance to surrender before you we conquer you demands, if it actually doesn't lead to occupation forces in the rest of the country. Like the only point of NATO and military supplies is to prevent being conquered, so if the choice is to foreswear that or get conquered, it's probably better to foreswear it. And Crimea was never going anywhere anyway. I'm not making a normative judgment on what Ukraine should do at this point, but it wouldn't be irrational to accept. Except for the whole getting torn apart by angry crowds if you do I guess.

The big problem is that Putin tears up treaties before the ink dries on them, so taking them on face value is kind of naive.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MikeC posted:

Easy for you to bargain with their lives on the line and not your own. If I was Zelensky, I'd take it because whatever promises were made, whatever you were told how Russia would behave or how united the EU is or isn't, it wad obviously a bad bill of goods.

If he can get the Russians to stop forward progress and return to their lines of departure minus the new territory that the 2 breakaway Republics are going to get then that's a slam dunk for me. You keep full control of the Dniepnr and you keep Odessa which is your main hub to the Black Sea. You remain nominally independent and as long as you stay fairly demilitarized, it is likely good enough for Putin.

If however he insists on full occupation while this process occurs, then I guess you gotta ask how much your people are willing to bleed.

Maybe this time Russia will honor this piece of paper and leave Ukraine alone, after invading Crimea, breaking both Minsk agreements however many times in the past 8 years and declaring war to bring down the homonazi government.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Jewish led Homonazi drug riddled government! :eng101:

It's hard to keep track tbh. But hey maybe the homonazis will at least finally be decommunized.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Apologies for the silly question, but wtf is a 'tankie'? I gather that it doesn't refer to tank crew, and the context make it sound like some kind of US slang for people falling pretty far to the right of the spectrum, but that's as far as I can infer.

Roughly it came from apologizing away Soviet Union rolling in tanks to provide 'brotherly help' to regimes under danger (I guess Hungary and Czechoslovakia mostly).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

i would probably surrender and take the deal, again presuming the russsians are serious.

It's pretty hard to take them seriously after being called a nation made up by Lenin not a week ago.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: Forums functionality reminder - if you find someone insufferable, and don't want to seem them post, please use "ignore" function.

I wish to report a bug - it doesn't seem to be working, it says you're a moderator? :confused: :v:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are threads in other subforums that discuss this, you're welcome.

It was very much tongue in cheek, sorry if it came off otherwise, I know the thread can get a bit hectic.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

aba posted:

I was quite surprised to learn that Czech administrator of .cz domain had blocked 8 known disinformational/hoax news servers in Czech language (Kremlin paid as our intelligence agency was saying for years) today and that had never happened before if I remember it correctly. Which could be an issue because freedom of press, etc. so is something like that happening in other countries? And I'm still not sure I like that they did it. I mean I partially do but ...

Polish Radio/TV Board blocked Russia Today from transmitting on free channels in the country (first good thing it did since takeover by PiS), various private companies also blocked some of Russian channels.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/YourAnonTV/status/1497273131567828992/
These links are fine, right?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

I still had it loaded, and gently caress I should have screenshotted it. Oh well, downloaded the file tho.

Yea, I have the download link in history and it's still up (also got the file). It's some accounts and passwords from Russia's MOD (some passwords feel like they were made up by a 12 year old - 'asasin2014') .

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Point was that Jens Stoltenberg talking about a cyber attack possibly invoking art.5 doesn't have to mean massing tanks around Kaliningrad, it just means that the allies will work together to respond. Probably it would mean increasing their cyber warfare capabilities but other options aren't explicitly barred. And that seems wise, warfare has changed a lot from the 1950's.

Also a point he made was that NATO never defined the level cyber attacks need to meet before art.5 is invoked to not encourage them at a rate just below it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

But the Russian ministries told us that Putin and Lavrov have no money outside of Russia, how could this be?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I read up a bit on ban airplane exports part of EU sanctions and its a pretty big deal. 39 % of Russian civil airliners are Airbus. Sanction makes them unusable due to either canelled lease contracts or lack of spare parts which are also banned. If the US doesn't suck and supports this they will lose ANOTHER 36 % which are Boeing. In a month they will have almost no civil aviation.

That's OK for Russia actually - by that time they'll need to downsize the civilian airfleet due to all the countries denying access to their airspaces. :v:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

International brigades when?

I'll start up the wiki.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

the popes toes posted:

I recall my mother, long ago, speaking of DP's and when I asked her what that meant she said, "Poles." It's like someone malicious just tweaked history just a little bit but just enough for it to be unspeakably familiar.

What does DP mean in this context, I'm turning it around in my head and coming up with nothing.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

It's bewildering how quickly Russia and anything Russian is turning into 'don't touch the poop' territory.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

minema posted:

Why is this more significant than when the UK did it days ago? Because it's closer to Russia?

The whole continent is basically cutting itself of from Russian airlines.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's something particularly hilarious about ukranian police effectively pulling over main battle tanks

It appears you're missing your registration plate, I'll need to take a look at your insurance papers.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

go play outside Skyler posted:

Well then that sounds good! 50 bucks to a Ukrainian relief charity if I'm wrong. Please DM me in case I forget

I think nobody really cares about toxxes and if you have the spare money you can set aside for dumb poo poo/potential charity, then just send it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tuna-Fish posted:

Someone needs to put together a bar chart comparing the GDP of Russia + Belarus next to the GDP of all the nations currently supplying Ukraine.

This seemed like an interesting idea and I went ahead with it:

In the blue corner - Russia + Belarus
In the red corner - NATO countries in the top 50 by GDP (I couldn't bother to scan more), without US. USA doubles that.

EDIT: I actually hosed up slightly, I was scanning only for European countries and missed Canada, add another blue sized bar to the red team.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 27, 2022