Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It might be one of those helmet obfuscators, like on IDF helmets.
It's goggles inside a protective cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Barrel Cactaur posted:

That is definitely Arma 3, but with some really decent mods. The dead giveaway is the smoke ring at impact and the prefab build tower in the background.

E: Other things that stand out, the body has no internal momentum, I'm sure you can see in enough of the real combat footage that they usually twist to the side and then turn over when destroyed. ARMA helicopters tend to just tilt forward. Real helicopters tend to go down bathing themselves with flames, Arma ones get a black soot texture plastered on the sides but otherwise look clean.

Also the stock Arma 3 buildings within the town. The video quality masks some of the more obvious tells, but every single sufficiently lit building and the cargo crate tower silhouette in the background is easily identifiable as Arma assets for anyone who has played the game at all.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

MadJackal posted:

Realistically, what's the best strategy here?

Pick up a mines and throw them in the river? Don't get blown up and delicately transfer them 50 meters away from the road?
Blow them up from a distance if you can. If you don't have the gear to do that safely, you have 3 options:

1: Carefully drive through without disturbing the mines like in the video. This isn't guaranteed to work even if you manage not to touch the mines or even if someone else has driven the exact path before you. Depending on the fuze used, the mine may detonate based on magnetic field changes instead of direct pressure, and could also have a timed delay or a vehicle countdown that allows a certain amount of vehicles to pass. You can probably assume these don't have any specific programming like that so if you saw someone else safely drive through before you, it's fairly likely that you could get through fine if you imitate them.

2: Try to clear a path by moving as few of them as possible. This is dangerous because they may have anti-handling devices to detonate the mine if it is lifted or disturbed. Use the longest possible stick you can to push them aside, stay very low, and pray if you're into that.

3: Find a different route. Especially since the mines could (should, if the people responsible were coordinated instead of just doing whatever they feel like) have people guarding them and waiting to ambush people while they are in the middle of a minefield.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Kind of doubting the reliability of that, since the "sign" is in English (and apparently only English).
It also extremely has not looked that green within the arctic circle this year yet. It's an old picture.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Anybody have a direct quote for this?

“[Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto] added that NATO member countries have offered to help Finland with ensuring security during an application process and said they estimate it would take from four months to one year to approve the application.”

That seems pretty big.

From here:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finland-clarify-next-steps-possible-nato-entry-within-weeks-foreign-minister-2022-04-07/
This is from yesterday: https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000008725438.html

Partial, loose translation by me:

quote:

Foreign minister Pekka Haavisto (Greens) says that, during the NATO foreign ministers meeting, multiple NATO-countries have asked about what type of security assistance Finland would need during a NATO application process.
He adds that he's thankful for the offers but that we haven't decided on whether we'll apply yet and that the application process does not automatically include any security guarantees.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

jaete posted:

:finland: Postin' about Finland :finland:

NATO just had this big military exercise in northern Norway, Cold Response 2022, apparently a big biannual winter exercise thing. 30,000 soldiers from "nearly 30" countries including Finland and Sweden. Finnish tabloid (in Finnish) claims the Finnish soldiers, vast majority of whom (470 out of 680) were conscripts, did real well.

I was glancing at some other articles and was a bit surprised just how many military exercises Finland regularly participates in, most of them with NATO countries. There's another one coming up called PASSEX (article in Finnish) which is a NATO, and I guess Finnish, anti-mine naval exercise which is happening all this week, with Dutch, Estonian and Latvian ships in addition to Finnish ones.

And, there's also Arrow 22 which is 3400 land forces personnel from Finland and also UK, USA, Estonia and Latvia, first two weeks of May (this article also in Finnish).

This stuff is like nonstop. Well, it probably has been for a while and all this is routine, and I'm just noticing it now since I'm actually paying attention, with the whole Ukraine thing and possible Finnish NATO application and so on.
Yeah we've been taking part in some NATO exercises for a while. Cold Response at least, I was personally there in 2009 or 2010 already.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Some clarification may be in order: the standing recommendation for having iodine tablets available has been there for a while. They are now adjusting the recommendation, not telling people to suddenly get some. The biggest difference between the old and the new is that they are no longer recommending the tablets for over 40-year-olds and are looking into getting iodium tablets suitable for children younger than 3, for whom suitable tablets are not currently available in pharmacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Since Ukraine has conscription these four weeks might also be a refresher to remind them of what they did during their mandatory service which is often 6-12 months I think.

The guy's diary makes no mention of previous service though so it might just be these four weeks and then to the front.
It specifically says he's never cleaned a firearm before, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's probably not just refreshing previous knowledge.