Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

No, because key NATO members would still refuse to ratify Ukraine joining NATO. Again, this is very much a conspiracy theory, not founded in actual events. There has never been anything suggesting a conditional change in government was going to make Ukraine a NATO member.
I mean he's calling it a "right-wing coup of 2014" and was an extremely bad faith poster in the previous EE thread before so I'm not sure you're getting a useful answer.

It's not particularly great that this new thread is basically repeating the EE thread a few weeks ago, just so tankies can drop their "Ukraine is full of nazis anyway", "West did it because USA bad" and "polls said Crimea wanted to be Russia so Ukraine deserved to get invaded" hot takes again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Russian military directly invaded and stopped the Ukrainian advance that was significantly pushing back the Russian-backed mobsters in the summer of 2014. There's nothing home grown about the "separatists" in Donbas.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Actually, Russia is NOT within its right to randomly move large invasion forces on the borders of other European states according to the Vienna Document which Russia also signed.

But hey, surprise. Russian propagandists will endlessly harp on supposed promises and warranties nobody actually gave them about forever staying out of their sphere of influence back in the 80s, but abiding by actual treaties and written agreements they signed? Totally optional, they're just a ploy of Western nazis anyway.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The US is sending troops and fighter jets to Poland, and though their present mission has been publicly declared to involve staying put in Poland regardless of future events, it is odd to me that this is seen as peacekeeping while Russian movements within their own borders are provocation. And I do not disagree that Russian movements are provocation. However, if I'm skeptical of US movements as a US citizen, one might think the Russians would be particularly skeptical.
Why is that odd? How likely is it that these US jets will be used in (hidden? what?) attacks on Russia, the one country with enough nuclear weapons to rival the United States? How many times have the US used forces stationed in Europe to attack Russia? How is that even comparable :wtc:

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Russia has been agressive in its neighbourhood since the Soviet Union dissolved. This time when Russia was totally peaceful until the West bribed a few too many former satellite countries, it's a complete propaganda myth.

Georgian Civil War (1991)
Abkhazia (1991)
Transnistria (1992)
North Ossetia (1992)
Chechnya (1994, 1999)
Dagestan (1999)
Georgia (2008)
Ukraine (2014)

Totally peaceful guys, the fact we're constantly messing with our neighbours and minorities is completely the fault of the West who cheated us with the evils of shock therapy capitalism in the 90s.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm not concerned about them attacking Russia, I'm concerned about them entering Ukraine, either preventatively or in response to Russia entering Ukraine, which is something one might do with forces stationed in Poland.

Hopefully! This is certainly what has been repeated by the administration even within the past hour. I would like to be able to believe it!
They said they're not going to do that. But also your timeline is completely off. The Russian invasion force buildup has been going on for weeks and months, the actual invasion in Donbas and the annexation of Crimea almost 8 years. You don't get to pull the "but that seems kind of threatening!!!" card if you've been doing your own invading, annexing and threatening for so long.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They pulled similar stunts in Crimea. Yeah, totally pulling back our "peacekeepers", what are you even worrying about hysterical westerners :smuggo: *leave unmarked special forces behind, organizes fake referendum and annex everything*

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Follow their interpretation of Minsk*

But yeah if they formally annex the territory like that, they take away another tool that allowed Germany and France to lie to themselves about how Russia is totally worth talking to as an equal in peace negotiations with third parties and not at all party to the war.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

It's pretty obvious in context that if control of the border is supposed to be transferred back to Ukraine after the election, someone else will be controlling it in the meantime. And the precondition to border control is elections.

OSCE should in theory be able to highlight any breaches of their standards when elections are actually planned. Russia would presumably call back all Russian 'consultants' and regular units by that point.

Again, I think it's fair for Ukraine not to be happy with Minsk II, but it's fairly unambiguous in how things are supposed to go, and Russia's interpretation is not different from France's or Germany's interpretation.
I'm sorry but no. The only reason it even got signed by Ukraine and Russia is because of the ambiguity that let both sides interpret some critical elements to their advantage, this isn't as clear-cut as you're making it out to be. The fact that Russia is in no way interested in an actual third-party controlling the border and organizing a referendum without a pre-determined, pro-Russia outcome should make that obvious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The west is impoverishing Ukraine by getting Russia to repeatedly invade, murder a few thousand Ukrainians, shoot down airliners and steal territory and equipment. American warmongering at work!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In a first step this changes nothing because Russia already controlled, defended and paid for these territories. The entire Minsk process was aimed at this - keep control, keep Ukraine out, stage a referendum in which nothing but the "republics" deciding to join Russia would have been acceptable/possible.

He basically enforces what his goal was with Minsk II except without pretending to be a neutral third party and without the thin veil of a referendum over self-determination. Maybe this time France and Germany will notice, but probably not.

The question is where he goes from there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

Please, please loving do it. Do it you pussies. As if any of us give a flying gently caress about billionaire/corporate money stored in Russia, shouldn't even be there anyways.

And it will pave the way for the same thing to happen to Russian capital in many countries around the world.

I like this. It seems desperate. I'm guessing it's an empty threat but I actually hope they go through with this. Go ahead and try and out-sanction the west
Like all the things they didn't think this through very much, so I really hope they'll do it. Yes, make it even less likely western companies/money will ever want to return. But also, I thought sanctions don't work and are useless and lol West we don't even have money you can freeze???

At the same time it's a good reminder for the idiots in charge of said western companies who probably thought "let's get this Russian market, big money, no risks!"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Restore Peace in Donbass? Nowhere else?
Well their special operation to protect russians is focused on Donbass didn't you know. There's nothing else going on in the rest of Ukraine, especially nothing violent and warlike that would require peace.
:thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

Wtf is an OMON
Just a few posts up you can see them get ready to beat up and arrest protestors in Moscow.

They're the riot police thugs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

the popes toes posted:

Palace Square, St Petersburg, preventing a Tiananmen. The Russians do listen to history!

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1500578228179775495?cxt=HHwWjsC5hdf8j9MpAAAA
Ah yes a perfectly normal thing to do over a limited special operation in Donbass.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They consider the entirety of Ukraine theirs now so that's only a useful distinction when Russia isn't already invading the country.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How are there still people claiming Finlandization would be the one trick that will get everyone out of this mess. One party to this agreement has shown they will break every agreement and treaty they signed the moment they think it's convenient, has stated they don't actually accept the independence and statehood of Ukraine, and has indicated "no bloc" means "don't join the Western bloc" because Russia is not interested in neutral Ukraine, it has to be Ukraine as an annexed Russian province or a puppet state.

None of the demands have changed. It's still "we will stop mass murdering civilians if you unconditionally surrender and join the Third Russian Reich out of your own free will", just the wording changes slightly every time they release this statement.

But yeah, let's give Putin the benefit of the doubt, maybe it will save lives this time :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why didn't they? Why now when they seem to be in a worse position?
The premature victory article that was making the rounds was talking about how Putin had to facilitate the Anschluss of Ukraine before its national identity and independence would overtake all ties to Russia. I assume in 2014 that wasn't a concern yet, because there were still somewhat significant pro-Russian minorities in large parts of the country, even though they weren't enough to create more separatist terror-states like in Donbass.

I also think at that point Russia was still somewhat interested in keeping up the charade as a civilized nation, and creating frozen conflicts probably seemed to be sufficient to stop Ukraine's independent development in its tracks, except it did not and accelerated the country's westbound course.

Also, re: comparisons to Iran: Besides Russia having been a part of the global economy in a way other pariah states like Iran or North Korea have never been, there's also the question of who will arm and support Russia. Iran uses globally-connected Russia (and China) to circumvent sanctions in order to trade oil, buy military hardware etc. Russia can't go to Russia though, and alternatives like India and China are unreliable (India will at some point have to decide if it needs western support against China more than preferential access to Russia's sanctioned military hardware, and China needs continued economic success so they won't fully burn all bridges to the West for now). So if Russia's "defense" industry can't easily upgrade and replace the precious war toys for the domestic market (let alone exports), there's no connected big boy they can use to supply them with that stuff instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
France has been doing its own military (mis-) adventures, eg. in Africa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Armed_Forces#Recent_operations

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

The whole problem when talking about peace deals is that Russia isn't happy unless Ukraine accepts subjugation and incorporation in the Russian sphere of influence. Even if Ukraine cedes Donbass, Crimea and accepts not joining NATO - Russia will still insist on demilitarization, no EU membership and Russian influence on Ukrainian internal affairs. It isn't possible for Ukraine to have a meaningful peace deal where the conditions include ceasing to be a sovereign nation - that's just a surrender wrapped up as a peace deal.

Russia has to accept Ukraine leaving the Russian sphere of influence and joining the EU bloc. Considering that Putin seemingly doesn't even grasp the existence of the EU bloc - and equating 'western' with 'US-controlled' - that is impossible to reach an agreement on. It involves the Russian regime revising their world view to see Europe as more than a smorgasbord of kleptocratic opportunity and vassals to fight over with the old enemies from across the Atlantic. That is not going to happen.

I sadly don't see any peace agreement being reached until either or both sides have lost the ability to continue the war.
Yeah. The main problem is that treaties and agreements with Russia are 100% worthless unless you can enforce them through a third party (or yourself, in which case there would be no need to give Russia anything). Like Donbass in Minsk II, complete subjugation/surrender is the only end state for Ukraine in any sort of deal that lets Russia claim some/most of Putin's original objectives. They will just wait for the first opportunity to come back and check off everything else on the list. Without a serious change in Russian leadership, and continued pressure to make sure Russia can't go on any military adventures in the next 20-30 years, negotiations are pointless while the "make Ukraine a Russian province" goal exists.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
NATO countries, including the US, were still tiptoeing around Russia's feelings and largely did not provide the things that could have helped Ukraine even more (more modern anti-tank weapons and AA systems) until the invasion was underway. Until that point eg. Germany was sending some helmets and (parts of) a field hospital. Also, supplying stuff in January was when it was obvious Putin was setting up the invasion for real.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

Putin was not the only one who was surprised that the people of Ukraine believe that much in their country and are willing to fight and die for it. And it's even more amazing when considering the insane corruption and that most of the wealth is in the hands of a small group of oligarchs.

A few weeks ago there was a poll in my small Euro country, about who would stick around and fight if we were invaded. The result was something like 21%, which is on the lower end of most EU countries, which usually range in the 20-30% range. Would the people of other countries, like Germany, fight as hard as the Ukrainians so that the elites can keep their money and people like Scholz, Lambrecht or Baerbock can keep their jobs? I think not.

I believe a lot of people did not see this kind of resistance coming, unless they were really deep into geopolitics and had kept an eye on intelligence reports from the region.
I won't blame random Europeans to think so, but anyone with Ukrainian acquaintances and contacts (ie. intelligence services, foreign ministers etc.) could/should have known there was a large trend for this since 2014. Maybe not fully "participate in armed defense of my country", but at least "not handing over pur country without resistance".

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 27, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Russia almost immediately started to wage wars and invade smaller neighbours after 1991, poor little Russia that just had to turn into a mass-murdering, fascist dictatorship because it wasn't properly coddled by ~The West~ in the 90s is a complete fabrication by idiots and propaganda.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

[...] The part where a woman's mother in Russia just mindlessly repeats Putin's lies was especially tough.
This is so bonkers. My mom calls her friends who remain in Ukraine daily and one of them told her how she got called by an aunt (who lives in Russia), who was crying on the phone how terrible it is that Ukraine resists denazification and risks so many innoecent lives there. They're straight brainwashed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
A bunch of experts ("experts"?) are saying that replacing the oil would be fairly easy and useful, both because it's a large part of Russian income and also because it would be much less painful to replace because, yeah, transport options and the fact it's a much smaller percentage of European energy imports. So it hurts the Russian economy a lot, the European one a little, and they can still work on phasing out gas imports gradually. Doing it on a global scale gets more difficult because there's still China.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really not that different from the people who only get their news from Fox and right-wing Facebook pages. The longer you get a steady stream of that garbage, the faster it rots your brain. In Russia you don't have the ability to get alternative sources of news either.
I mean yeah, I'm not actually surprised. What bothers me more is morons who do this while living in Europe where they DO have the ability to check different news.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The bonus feature of the helmets was that they were announced one month before the invasion, but didn't arrive until a day or two after Russia already invaded.

Maybe Germany thought a puppet regime installed within 24 hours of a Russian Blitzkrieg didn't need new helmets.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

You’re almost there. Russia maintains veto rights on their foreign policy, particularly when it comes to engagement with the West, not because Russia itself is threatened by this, but instead because Putin’s plan to reabsorb all territory once part of the Soviet Union—and maybe even the Russian Empire—by force.

That’s what is threatened by Ukrainian or Baltic State NATO membership.
That's the thing people who go "but the West didn't properly help Russia after 1991, instead we humiliated them with ~capitalism~" or "we should have disbanded NATO/invited Russia to NATO" don't seem to understand.

Russian leaders have never stopped being imperialists with a distinct "zero sum" world view where everything that happens either helps them or their opponents, never both. They were temporarily embarassed when Warsaw Pact-style subjugation turned out to be unsustainable, so for a while they continued with genocides on a smaller scale (Chechnya), were limited to minor invasions (Transnistria, Ossetia), and openly opposed the supposed rules based world order by supporting Serbian genocides in the 90s. There never was a Russian leadership that was really open to the country being part of an international order based on the rule of law and cooperation of (mostly) equal nations. No, Russia considers itself a great power that has the natural permission to rule over minor nations (sure those in Europe are more powerful, economically, but our nukes are feared and anyway they're all puppets of the US anyway, we just have to change that!), it won't accept rules set by anyone else.

The idea of "1991 Russia as a normal country that just got over imperialism a few decades later than the rest of Europe" is pure fiction. People who write papers on the evils of shock therapy must have some form of economic recovery program in mind that would have included strict controls and wealth redistribution, making sure apparatchicks, oligarchs and investors wouldn't have a chance to rob the country blind. But there was simply no point after 1991 where Russia's leadership would have accepted such a more socially acceptable economic recovery program because it would have been controlled/forced on them by the "enemy". And their acceptable alternative to NATO was not "Russia as an equal in NATO", it was "Russia with the power to ignore the concerns of minor nations of Europe in NATO, or a new organization where Russia was in charge".

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
E: yeah ^^

The problem with these "give diplomacy a chance!" calls is that they completely ignore that one side is not at all interested in that and has never been. Basically

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The prewar russian demands started at "Ukraine must be demilitarized and denazified" and "NATO must be rolled back to Germany" and "Ukraine must be neutral" and in case someone thinks those were starting points for negotiation they also helpfully added that none of the demands were negotiable.
It also ignores that Russia actually spells out what they want out of their war (repeatedly!), it's eliminating the Ukrainian nation and society and resetting them to be (inferior) Russians. It's not about NATO or neutrality, but some people keep going back to that like it's the one trick that will end all suffering. No: Putin's criminal regime closed all the offramps before starting the war. Opening new ones would require one-sided concessions from Ukraine, ie. letting Russia get away with an illegal war of aggression, (attempted?) genocide and endless warcrimes. Because otherwise we might have World War 3 :kingsley:

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 17, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's no room for "Austrian neutrality" for Ukraine, especially not since February 20 (Russia explicitly says they're not a country/people, they're just misguided little Russians who need to be reprogrammed and brought back into the empire). Neutrality is a propaganda argument for useful idiots and, oh...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Warbadger posted:

Worth pointing out that Sweden's and to some degree Finland's "neutrality" for the past 30 years involved very tight military cooperation with NATO, a military geared specifically toward defense against Russian invasion, and a deep economic relationship with Western Europe. Also EU membership, with its own security agreements... with most of NATO.

I have a feeling that contributed to the lack of little green men setting up totally independent Russian fiefdoms. Anyways the original 2014 invasion came on the heels of the Ukrainian bid to join the EU, which as previously noted both Sweden and Finland have been a part of for quite some time now. Ukraine was not going to be allowed the degree of autonomy Sweden and Finland have. In support of that idea, Russia was offering Ukraine CSTO membership so just loving LOL that they wanted Ukraine to remain neutral.
It wasn't even about joining the EU, it was only an association agreement and realistically Ukraine wouldn't have been considered ready for the actual EU for decades. But even that was considered an unacceptable rapprochement.

the white hand posted:

I don't think anyone was ever saying Ukraine was going to be guaranteed anything, only that they might have avoided their country being directly, violently annihilated in a conflict between greater powers.
There's no conflict between greater powers. It's Russia saying "actually Ukraine is Russia". Before that, the claim was that Russia had the natural rights to meddle in Ukraine as it pleased because spheres of influence, so anyone else did not. That was the model of "neutrality" Russia meant.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Germany being the target of nuclear hell was a function of it being the actual border between NATO and the Warsaw Pact and therefore the natural first battlefields in a hot Cold War. But that was over in 1991, being scared about daddy Vova's nukes over sending some tanks to Ukraine in 2022 is ridiculous.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

There is a big air component. Russia has run thousands of air strike sorties during the course of the war. At one point in March they ran 300 sorties in a single 24-hour period.
Launching stand-off weapons from well within Russian airspace because they're so scared of losing their planes is not really what people mean though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They massively reduced the attacks where they actually fly planes into the country to terrorbomb some stuff after the first weeks, I didn't say they don't do it at all (otherwise Ukraine wouldn't get to shoot down the planes they claim) :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Thanks for the info everyone. :tipshat: Yeah I suppose using planes against planes is possible... feels a bit weird to me though since I would guess mobile ground-based systems would be cheaper to operate and maintain. Or maybe not I dunno.

Continuing to ponder Finland's situation, I've just noticed that apparently Finland actually does have these mobile long-range radars in use, they're just not listed in the Wikipedia article about FDF equipment. So that makes a bit more sense now. I suppose the idea is to use separate mobile long-range radars, mobile missile launchers (also with their own, shorter-range radars), fighter jets and all kinds of things in combination. That paradigm seems reasonable I guess, maybe Patriot would be a bit overkill since perhaps Finland doesn't necessarily need its more advanced features such as shooting down small missiles and whatnot.
If you just want to defend against planes/missiles/drones attacking your critical infrastructure, shorter range missiles and guns do the trick and Western nations always had those. A Patriot system is definitely overkill which was emphasized in Saudi Arabia where they're firing $1m missiles to defend against cheap drones. Even Israel's Iron Dome is supposed to be somewhat expensive if it's in constant use IIRC. Guns are still useful at these ranges - someone else previously posted the truck mounted CWIS the US used in Afghanistan, and systems like the Oerlikon twin 35mm cannon are constantly being upgraded (Rheinmetall's latest version of Skyguard uses a version of that cannon, but with modern ammo and you can link it with modern radar and fire control systems).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah they've been serious about ending the special operation since day one.

If Ukraine stands down and accepts the Anschluss with demilitarization and denazification of the Ukrainian nation, and the West stops the inhumane sanctions and the dangerous weapon trafficking at once.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

It's basically a Russian C-117 right? If so absolutely.

It will *probably* have escorts though, although the VDV seem to have a thing for glorious flaming wreckage deaths
C-17*, and a fighter escort won't really stop ground-based AA shooting at the big, slow target. You can also just shell the destination airport with artillery.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dick Ripple posted:

Some of you are missing the forest for the trees here. Unfortunately none of will find out a lot of the what and whys of this conflict until years or decades later. But my point on being concerned about what this all will lead to is valid. Russia is headed for a defeat on the battlefield which will no doubt cause them humiliation, which they deserve. But when in their entire history have let something like that go? The Mongols? I wish I could see a scenario were Ukraine retakes the Donbass/Crimea and Russia some how sees the error of their ways and reforms into some western friendly government...
I doubt that very much.

There is information Ukraine keeps under wraps, sure, but that's not unexpected or extraordinary (and yeah that list of "why don't they let me spy on them" is laughable). However, you somehow link it to the 2003 Iraq war because???

"It's not black and white" is a useless statement - the motivations are very black and white, the outcome obviously isn't because pushing back Putin's murderous hordes takes time and will come with a significant loss of life and material either way. That doesn't change the calculus: There's no way to come to an agreement with the war criming regime which doesn't care about a single agreement or treaty it signed, and no one can go in and clean up the way Allies did after WW2, nor is there any sign of a Russian leadership without the imperialism and revanchism. Which is precisely why Russia has to be pushed back/out in the mid to long term, and it has to be crippled (economically and by breaking a significant part of their army) to make repeat invasions like this unlikely. That's humiliating to their expansionist rage, I'm sure, but "face-saving" options would just validate and reward the regime's behaviour in the past 30 years and set the stage for the next invasion.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

alex314 posted:

Russia sits on untold riches in oil, gas, minerals and other stuff. As long as there's someone to buy them (or whatever gets made with those) Russia will rebound.
The world is different than in 1918 or 1945 though. Russia can recover but the question is in what form. You can (re)build infrastructure and restore some of the war machine by building mid- and low-tech weapons and munitions out of your own resources of which there are plenty, sure. But building an independent, competitive high-tech industry from scratch for eg. modern ammunitions, sensors and computers or even just advanced motors and turbines is out of the question. Part of the know-how for the current Russian arsenal, like helicopter turbines, is already located in the country they just invaded and turned into an enemy for years to come so they can't even fall back on that. They can try to buy the manufacturing machines in Europe or the chips from foundries in the West (including Taiwan/Japan/Korea) through endless chains of dummy companies, like North Korea or Iran in the past, but unlike those there's no bully happy to stick it to the West to help you nearly as much (for those countries, it was Russia and China), and it's a time consuming and expensive process to do at scale.

Basically this post:

ranbo das posted:

Post WWI/civil war the Soviet Union had to beg the West for food as starvation had gotten so bad people were resorting to cannibalism, and they most likely would have collapsed without outside assistance.

WWII the USSR heavily benefited from lend- lease materials which was not just tanks and planes but building materials, heavy industrial equipment, fuel and food.

As to whether Russia has really recovered from the fall of the USSR, well uh, they don't seem to be doing so hot.
Also WW2 allowed them to loot half of Germany and whatever eastern countries they annexed into their ~sphere of influence~. They can't just steal an ASML factory and rebuild it at home this time.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 19, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We talked to some family friends in Rubstovsk again and my lil buddy I posted about before, dead in the first weeks of the war-

Got more details and he was actually just "not in contact" for the past few months. Like, everyone knew pretty quick what happened because russian soldiers are on their phones 247, but no official missing or dead status from the state. Some ukrainians are the ones who identified him, contacted them, and confirmed he was killed and where at. They then contacted the government and got his body. Or a coffin and a pension at least? Ukraine had his dog tags. Not sure if lmao or :smith:
This sucks so much, I'm sorry :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can't roll my eyes hard enough at concessions to "the West".

Kavros posted:

in the same situation i would be aggravatingly pessimistic about it to the international community, because optimistic lead-ins like "yeah we got this poo poo in the bag, we hosed em up only a matter of time lads" leads to other countries feeling like there's no longer a sense of urgency to supply Ukraine

but if you continue to press the sense of constantly having to stave off downturn or russian resurgence, the steady supply of very useful murder tools continues its regular rate of supply

a bit hard to push and have the messaging be compatible entirely with the current condition of Ukraine recently fully defeating russia in the Kharkiv battles and forcing a full withdrawal there, creating an officially complete collapse of russia's northern front, but Ukraine has not been known for their messaging failures yet
Agreed. The earlier unconfirmed tweet about Scholz the Moron illustrates this pretty well: Some countries, especially certain larger European ones, may well think this is done/has gone far enough, why bother doing more than the bare minimum and risk exposing themselves to criticism by certain parts of their electorate and Russia's useful idiots. Like they might have initially thought sending a few man portable anti-tank weapons would be enough to push either side towards ~~negotiations~~ and freeze the war so they could go back to doing business as usual with the Ruscists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Keeping the war from spiraling out of control is a valid concern to some extent, on the other hand Ukraine has to be able and allowed to hit ruscist supply lines and bases in border regions if "Russia must not win" is taken seriously, or they will alway have a somewhat easy time to just regroup and resupply from within its borders (or borders they consider their own). Not like being able to send cruise missiles to Moscow, but the war will not be over faster if stuff like bases in Rostov or Belgorod or their precious Kerch bridge are considered off limits by Western supporters.