Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

mobby_6kl posted:

I think this would match some of the previous statements which were all weird like ~Ukraine now has more usable aircraft than before thanks to a mysterious donor~

Like jesus christ just hand over the migs already.

See that tyre sitting over there? That is all that is left of one of our planes. If only someone would provide the missing parts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Der Kyhe posted:

Not an artillery guy, served on a different branch, so I cannot give an exact answer but the contact to ground-crushed fuse isn't that difficult to make either.

My father was in the artillery. I'll never forget what he used to always say.
'Pardon?' You'll have to speak up a bit'.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Unkempt posted:

Apparently this is the form for the visa process:

Be annoying if you got to step 63 and your phone battery died.

Yeah, I'm going through this process at the moment and Orwellian hardly covers it.
The visa application needs to be filled in for each person, so for a mother and 2 children we had to enter the passport details for each family multiple times. Over 70 numbers entered in total. And the really fun part - the website to enter the information is privatised, and as it is a third party (lowest bidder) site, it is just a very very flaky front end. For security it is unable to receive information back from the visa system so it's one way communication only. You get no feedback for errors on a page, you get nothing. And once it has been submitted, you get a submission number, but logging in with the number tells you that nothing has been submitted, because the system can't query the state of an application.
Ok, standard comedic conservative bureaucracy so far. Now for a family of three, we have (within out facebook group of several thousands) very few actual families making it after 4 weeks. The best we seem to get is all of the visas apart from the youngest child get approved. That way, the family still won't travel, but we have a 66% successful visa pass rate apparently! I swear its off the pages of Catch 22.
It might even be slightly funny if I hadn't had to sit through half hour wait for Whatsapp to reconnect as they were trying to give me the details during an air raid in Kyiv.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 23, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Fritz the Horse posted:

I am concerned that the food derail is about Scandinavian foods. This is the thread about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and food derails should be Ukraine-related. Thanks for your attention to this pressing matter.

If I were making some Ukrainian plaited bread, should I egg wash the top?
And what type of salt? Coarse sea salt or fine table salt?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Icon Of Sin posted:

Are we still in the “they have crumbling infrastructure that’s finally failing, and everyone is paying attention” area, or is there any indication of active sabotage going on there? Russia is a huge country, and I’d love to believe the sabotage theory…but the odds that someone has been stealing repair funds, materials, and other equipment for years also seem pretty good.
Any act of sabotage, sufficiently covert, will be indistinguishable from Russian incompetence.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The more I hear about the Russian navy, the worse it gets. US/UK have long histories of naval battles, and long history of dealing with the no.1 enemy at sea - fire. It's why everything is kept so clean, doors kept shut, discipline etc. One of those 'learned from many bloody lessons'. I take it the Russian navy never really had that lesson until now. Any fire on board is either put out in <15 minutes, or it's taking your ship down. A strike that would just wound a western ship & crew is absolutely lethal against a Potemkin navy like this.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

NATO doesn't know how screwed it is, Russia is the first country in the world to develop the first quantum battleship.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Tuna-Fish posted:

. Why on earth would they use these super-expensive missiles that are great at shooting at ships but kinda lovely at shooting at land targets, except if that's all they have left?
Ukraine has no ships to shoot, and they're either going to go to waste or be captured, so, what the hell. May as well shoot shops, only one letter in it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

PerilPastry posted:

I mean other than the satisfaction of giving vent to your righteous indignation what's the benefit of making such a statement?
If you're not going to signal a willingness to gradually ease sanctions and normalize relations contingent on a peace settlement to Ukraine's satisfaction what's tp incentivize Russia not to keep doubling down.

Or am I misreading things? Is it less a statement on actual policy regarding negotiations, potential sanctions relief etc. than a personal comment on Putin having made himself persona non grata and being unlikely to ever be invited to a state dinner again?
Boris gives voice to the thoughts of the common British man.
We are very loving stupid.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is a bunch of the big hat officers who knew how to do basic poo poo like smoke screen/night time river crossings are dead or hosed up from previous battles and some moron got a new star and ordered it.
If the thread by the ukrainian scout has any truth, they used smoke screens, night crossing, the works. They just chose the most obvious place to try it, and the scouts were in position, just waiting and listening for them to start crossing.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Give it a week and there will be multiple Eastern European youtubers doing teardown videos.
Then Leatherman will bring out a new multitool with a special adapter for them.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

DancingMachine posted:

The West and the forces of democracy can easily outlast Russia if they have the will to do so. But Putin is 100% right about Western leaders being vulnerable to election cycles.

Elections are also historically vulnerable to visibly winning wars in the media.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Imaginary Friend posted:

Is there a general plan for what will happen with all the weapons after the war? Will every Ukrainian farmer with a tractor have their own missile system in their backyard?

New advances in ballistic farming technology mean we can now plough and plant a square kilometer of land in about 5 minutes, and from up to 20 miles away! No need to leave your farmyard.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I reckon ATACMS - first batch, kept quiet, purposeful disinfo all around.
As for 'Russians will adapt', I think they are just finding out that the billions invested in their 'state of the art' defense systems over the past decade have been pissed into the wind on stuff that looks nice in a parade, but is useless in the field. It's a bit late to adapt to that now.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So.. Ukraine were working on a long range missile. What's the odds like on them being given enough technical assistance to have started being able to assemble them? Or maybe a nice little GPS guidance package that took a few months, but is now adapted to work?
Or if say, a selection of most of the parts for, just for example, an old long range missile that fit in, say, a HIMARS pod. Maybe it needed some assembling and explosives and fuel adding. Then you could stick a 'Made in Ukraine' sticker on it and everything.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The long range ones are ballistic and would have no rocket plume on descent at supersonic speeds. Would just be a faint line on a camera if anything.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

But what if the fourth person is in charge of making delicious cups of tea for everyone?
I could see the British Army going for that one.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Timing wise, I reckon this marks the start of push to Melitopol. That's the last tenuous rail link that can now supply Kherson/Crimea in any volume, so squeeze there and Kherson falls. And very little ammo is going to pass through to units beyond if they need it to defend that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Phlegmish posted:

Update on the frontline situation - according to War Mapper, no notable changes to control occurred yesterday.

It seems like the Ukrainians have run out of steam for now. Makes sense, you can't keep up such a blistering pace forever.

Once you have severed the last major supply route, the best thing to do is sit back and wait for them to chew through what supplies they have left. A few well placed HIMARS will speed up the process, but I don't expect any pushes until the Russians have finished softening themselves up a bit more.