Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

I'm gonna answer this here: Weapons shipments can be saber rattling, but I don't think they are in this case. Ukraine is asking for military support, we've actually largely denied them that to avoid a possible US/Russia confrontation.

western state apparatuses and media are hyping this supposed invasion that's kicking off in 2 weeks, and how we should totally help ukraine (for 8 years straight now i might add), and just generally spreading stupid fear, almost like they're planning some kind of false flag themselves

you can't just decouple these things from the weapon shipments, they're connected. it's absolutely saber rattling. i mean, gently caress, try opening cnn or bbc front page, they're loving insane

i can't really speak for what putin's end goal is here, seeing how i'm not him, but i can say that as an EU citizen, our leaders absolutely are partially responsible for the bullshit going on

e:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Continuing the discussion from the other thread.

On the other hand could it not be argued that the root cause is due to Russia? Ukraine wouldn't have an interest in NATO if they didn't feel threatened by their neighbour. If Russia wasn't a threatening force then joining NATO would be of little interest. If one starts from the position that Ukraine has the right to self-determination and not to be anyone's pawn than it's only logical to seek aid if you feel threatened by another country.

There's a whole rabbit hole delving into what the West could have or should have done in the 90s that may have prevented Russia from developing as it has over the last 30 years but at the root of it is that a country has no reason to join a defensive alliance if they don't feel threatened by anyone else. Presumably the Baltic nations didn't join just for the fun of it.

oh certainly, and hindsight is always 20/20, but i still feel like with how much our media portrays our leaders as some kind of beacon of democracy, diplomacy and just general eliteness, surely they could have easily navigated something even i could see coming

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Of course they are insane: There's a fuckton of divisions Putin is stacking immediately on Ukraine's border, planning missile drills that block all their ports, and continue to keep adding more men and hardware to the pile? We haven't seen a buildup like this since the US prepped for Afghanistan/Iraq?

until recently us/korea did bigger joint exercises every couple years on north korean border and it barely even got mentioned in the news lol

mmkay posted:

And yet there's only one side that can actually commit to an invasion or back off from it, so why are you blaming Ukraine or NATO for 'sabre rattling'

not blaming ukraine for anything, their communications have been one of the few voices of reason in this whole clusterfuck

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah yeah, let's do more sanctions, those sure seem to hurt the militaries and oligarchs, not average people

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GABA ghoul posted:

Lmao, German chancellor is in Moscow talking to Putin right now and he's also seated at the long table cause he refused to take the Russian PCR test.

I have very little doubt that they would do a genome sequencing and file that poo poo somewhere just to have it

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GABA ghoul posted:

I can even see the rationale somewhat. Aside from the creepiness and privacy aspect, Russia massively supports the political opposition in Germany(especially fascists and neo-nazis) and a sequenced genome could potentially contain valuable information that could be leaked to the opposition during an election. Maybe Scholz and Macron have some secret lovechild or some high predisposition towards neurological diseases that the Nazis can use in a smear campaign. Better not risk that poo poo at all, even if it's a negligible risk.

He did offer to do the test in the German embassy using German equipment and allow multiple Russian witnesses for the whole process but Russia refused lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

This is from a few pages ago but after I went back and rewatched this there’s a subtle detail that highlights this perfectly. The two characters playing Risk who view it as a part of their empire refer to it as, ‘The Ukraine’. The Ukrainian who takes offense refers to it as, ‘Ukraine’

pretty sure this is supposed to be just a joke about foreigners, as in my experience we have trouble with "the" a lot when learning english. half the people i helped with english in school never used it and the other half used it in front of every noun, because slavspeek doesn't have the concept of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OddObserver posted:

Russia's ideas of concessions is "Poland will get to annex Lviv".

ah, the lavrov-lau pact