Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Xae posted:

What?

See the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Russo-Afghan War, the US-Afghan war as direct examples.

Some of them were way hotter than the current war. Russian pilots were shooting down American airplanes over North Korea. Russian SAM operators were shooting down American pilots over Vietnam. In the Russo-Afghan war the US supplied cutting edge weapons, not just emptied out their old storage.

The Suez Crisis, the French-Indochinese war, Sino-Vietnamese War, the Taiwan Straight Crisis, and probably a dozen minor proxy wars as similar, but not quite the same examples.

Nuclear powers and powers backed by nuclear powers lose all the time. Hell, nuclear powers have directly fought against each other in the Kargil war.

TL;DR this may be new and frightening for relatively young people, but this is "oh, it must be Tuesday" for people who lived through the Cold War.

I feel like "over North Korea" and "over Vietnam" are kinda the point though? Those wars were hot, but they were contained within those countries (and spilled out into unfortunate neighboring countries). As hot as they got nobody was supplying South Korea with weapons to fire into China, or Vietnam to fire into mainland US.

Supplying counties to fight a proxy war against a nuclear powered country within their borders has happened, supplying countries to attack INTO nuclear powered countries is something very different. The whole point of a proxy war is the powers don't get the direct consequences of war all over themselves and none of them has wanted to break that. The line has never been crossed as far as I can recall, and refusing to arm Ukraine with cruise missiles is just in line with how these things have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Chill Monster posted:

Just for the sake of not forgetting history, the US repeatedly considered nuking China during the Korean war. It's not like it was something that was off of the table. It just never came to it, fortunately for us.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/examples-of-past-nuclear-threats-between-countries

Yeah, but they didn't. I'm not arguing the point that we're in a uniquely dangerous position, that's a different side of the argument. I was just commenting on the basis of answering why NATO doesn't give Ukraine cruise missiles. That it's a line that hasn't been crossed (even though it's been considered).

Phigs fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 11, 2022