Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Hmm... That doesn't seem right...

Military expenditure as percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) in highest spending countries 2020

saudi arabia here quietly spending germany in the 1930s amounts on their military btw (and has been for the better part of a decade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Who cares what some twitter nobody with 28 likes thinks about the conflict?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
yeah, i was just taking the opportunity to make a joke at their expense

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
your posting has been largely fine and not especially ideological in any direction afaict, idk what perceived motive commiegir is suggesting you have, but it doesn't seem particularly apparent from your post history in here

(with certain limits) simply posting news =/= support for the news posted

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
no struggle but kvass struggle, etc.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...er-live-updates

If Biden doesn’t count as “the government” then we have nothing more to talk about.

That seems like absolutely anything but a concrete timetable?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm sorry you got lightly roasted by the mean eastern european.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Thank you for choosing this thread to have your meltdown in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

KillHour posted:

Wasn't this like double digits a couple days ago?

yes it was

Terminal autist posted:

Why is the US in a position to accuse or even have intelligence on the ceasefire?

it's the OSCE, which is very much not the US, they've been monitoring the ceasefire violations for years now

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 19, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The osce is part of NATO and a unified European system to identify things like what's occuring?

osce is not a part of nato, it's 57 member states (eg pan european, plus a few in africa and asia as opposed to natos 19 or w/e)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
It's important to be able to consult an american before knowing how to think about a given situation. Especially an american with many adjectives around their name.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Self-propelled howitzers sneaking through the town at night is definitely foreboding.

a town in donetsk, in particular

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s the town of Donetsk, if we are being especially particular. It says it right there on the tweet.

im suggesting that russian howitzers being across the border is the specifically significant bit of info there

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Ukraine V Russia: Graphic warcrimes on pg 45

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I very much wish the 'no way putin would be stupid enough to do that' folks were right

:smith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm confident that NATO, russia and the zelenskij government could've worked out something that would've been broadly acceptable for those three parties, yes

you should go back and read the recent list of russian demands and tell us what of those you think were remotely acceptable for anyone not-russia.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

HonorableTB posted:

Also, shoutout to the (probably) P-3 that flew out of Sigonella Naval Air Station in Italy and is drawing penises because it knows so many people are checking the flight trackers

I have an old picture somewhere from mont st michel of a 100 meter penis with the word 'italia' drawn into the sand-flat

never change, italy

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not sure why Vindman thinks about a hot war, but a new Cold War is clearly possible. He'll, I'd be receptive to an argument for that to have been the case for some time already.

vindman's family is ukranian, he means a hot war in ukraine, not a hot war necessarily with the US

Count Roland posted:

Since when is Putin anti-communist? Didn't he famously say the collapse of the USSR was one of the great tragedies of history?

putin does speaks about the soviet era in a sentimental way sometimes (eg the famous 'anyone who doesn't miss the soviet union has no heart, anyone who wants it back has no brain'), but nothing really about his decisions or the power structures or economic decisions he's involved with suggest any favorable sentiment towards communism. Very much the opposite, if anything.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 22, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wouldn’t interpret “a hot war in Ukraine” as semantic opposite of “a [global] New Cold War”, but that read would make much more sense.

oh yeah, I just mean that I think he's speaking from a more personal perspective than from any kind of official perspective. I'd agree that at this point you probably just get both, sooner or later.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
russia very proactively goes after lgbtq activists so idk why anyone would think that they wouldn't continue that in seized territory

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Smeef posted:

What effect if any might this all have on accelerating the reduction of European dependence on Russian oil and gas? I can see China and India supporting that as well, given their current and future plans for renewables supply chains.

It's unquestionably going to speed it up, but that's a 5-10 year process and even the fastest elements of the process still would take 1-2 years to complete

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Worth remembering that any time huge news is breaking, people wander in to d&d to read up on and get a feel for what is happening and idk it's entirely understandable that people hear 'new war in europe' and don't intrinsically understand exactly what scale that will be on

hell, none of us know for sure. I don't think it's turning into a world war, but most big wars smart as small wars, so I particularly don't think it's unreasonable for people to be worried about it. Hell, thread consensus on the likely scope of hostilities has changed several times in the last 48 hours alone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Preoptopus posted:

Kiev was the capital of Rus. And I had to hear about it from my very russian ex soviet party member father on the phone last night. He used to like putin back in the day bit he was saying how unhinged what putin said was. I bet a lot of proud russians like him were like what the gently caress did putin just say?! Honestly I think the Russian people are just as terrified as Ukrainians

the idea that putin was just yanking nato/western europe/ukraine's chain and wasn't going to do poo poo really seemed pretty pervasive among, like, a lot of russians of all ends of the political spectrum. It was surreal seeing people from all sides politically yesterday just recoiling simultaneously. You never really see that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

eke out posted:

lol i wonder if there's literally anyone of note that worked on nuclear weapons for Ukraine in 1994 alive and young enough to work today

no idea any specifics of this, i just know that maintaining high specialized institutional knowledge of things you never use tends to be tough even when you didn't give those things up nearly 30 years ago

Yes definitely? Ukraine was a massive producer of both missiles and weapons during the soviet era. No doubt some brain drain has occurred, but there's probably as much institutional knowledge wrt manufacturing nuclear weapons there as almost anywhere else on the planet that is not currently a nuclear armed state.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While this is an interesting conversation in abstract, I’d like to note that “nuclear Ukraine” here is clearly a rhetorical vessel to justify war, not something Russia has to protect itself from.

yeah ofc

steinrokkan posted:

What's the point of this discussion, even if every Ukrainian was a secret nuclear scientist, it would take them years to even get the infrastructure to start developing nuclear weapons ready.

eh idk but putin and zelenski have both brought it up in the last few days, so clearly it has some relevance. mostly see above tho, ofc

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 22, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Not really new insofar as they're actively trying to use that as a reason.

Conversely, zielenski just brought it up recently in the context of 'we gave up the world's 3rd largest nuclear arsenal in exchange for security guarantees'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Fritz the Horse posted:

then don't read it? or talk to a cspam mod I guess?

kinda stupid to have a one way rule on this, might as well just open the floodgates as long as people are otherwise following the rules of dnd and are making effortful posts putting forth or countering some argument. seems dumb that dnd is literally a place where you can argue anything, all arguments are permitted, except if you mention the dreaded c-sp*m then you instantly get a sixer for some reason

imo it is possibly to acknowledge cspam without it being something yall need to start throwing probations around over. particularly when probably 95% of the people posting in dnd also post there

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In addition to what commie said, sounds like maybe you should PM your favorite cspam mod or admin instead of making it a whole thing in this thread.

do you earnestly believe that there is even a 10% chance that would amount to anything?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 23, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

projecthalaxy posted:

I feel like im dissociating lol

Million of people i care about are going to get slaughtered in like the next week and there's absolutely nothing i can do but watch

I don't even get to know that the cavalry's coming because the cavalry has explicitly and specifically decided that who cares about a few stupid slavs having a fight

That would in most universes be me over there about to get gutted lol

poo poo loving sucks man and I'm sorry :smith:

quarantinethepast posted:

To expand on this, can NATO intervene perhaps in a very targeted way to say "we're going to hold down this area in Ukraine to aid evacuations and will only attack for self-protection"? If that makes any sense.

there has been speculation that lviv might be functionally considered in the nato sphere to the point of being defended, but i don't think that is super likely either

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I can’t see how we can confirm that this is current footage.

there were more or less identical launches visible on streams

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You’re right, but I think it’s a fair ask of the thread to do some minimal due diligence for whether if footage can be reasonably attributed to the conflict. This thread will keep moving fast enough for a while, and so we don’t really want to have potentially random footage of MRLS fire in pitch black night.

this is also what the actual footage looked like, too though

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
There's going to be an absolute deluge of misinfo, deliberate disinfo, wildly unfounded rumors, and every other manner of lovely info and garbage reporting come out in the coming hours. Going to be many hours before anyone has a clear picture of what all is going on.

If you see any particularly significant claim: at the absolute minimum look at who is making the claim, is it being directly reported, and are they even in a position to have the information that they claim to have.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Pook Good Mook posted:

How different are dialects with Russian spoken in Ukraine and Russia itself? Would Ukrainians be able to pick up on a Russian trying to blend in or vice versa?

they're different languages

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Wafflepoet posted:

Thanks for this, I couldn’t find their Twitter on the livemap site. Keeping up with all this without an actual computer is rather difficult.

This isn’t going to stop happening for a while. Most people are incredibly emotional about the situation and have no desire to engage in nuance. This entire situation (NATO and Ukraine v Russia) has been further polluted by the aggressive efforts of actual Russian apologists. It’s seemingly impossible for some people to understand we’re not blaming loving NATO for the disgusting actions of Putin, rather we’re expressing profound frustration toward NATO for maintaining disingenuous pretenses that everyone knew Putin was using to justify this poo poo.

Wasn't the closest thing to a promise they got was just a verbal statement that some day they could become nato members? No timeline, no membership action plan or whatever they're called, just a 'yeah someday'

iirc macedonia was the one who got led on and baited.

lowkey i think that ukraine in the last couple years was getting to a point where the circumstances for them to become a member was indeed possible in the coming couple years, barring Russia invading, of course. Honestly I think a lot of nato is probably just about as willing to fight a war over Latvia or Albania as they are over Ukraine. 2008 ukraine added basically no upside to nato and was a significant liability. Recently Ukraine was getting to the point where it would've been a significant military member of NATO (and hell, their military has been largely built up to NATO standards for the better part of the last decade). On a related note, it seems remarkable, at least to me, just how much popular sentiment there seems to be that actually we should be military confronting Russia over invading Ukraine. There seems to be a lot more will to militarily stand up to Russia than I ever would have expected.

Frankly, Ukraine getting closer to EU membership I think likely pushed the timeline up more than the vague threat of hypothetical future NATO membership. Iirc the plan was to push for EU membership in like 18 months. Meanwhile the NATO stuff is largely static and not particularly time sensitive

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Wafflepoet posted:

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_185000.htm

That’s from a 2021 NATO summit. Check out article (whatever) 69. My point in general here is no, NATO wasn’t making vague gestures toward Ukrainian accession. A lot of us here are frustrated by NATO actions like these - separate from Putin’s loving invasion - when we know certain NATO members were never, under any circumstances, going to let Ukraine join.

yes that's reaffirming the almost completely substanceless 2008 decision I mentioned?

Also I think you are specifically wrong about the 'never, under any circumstances, going to let Ukraine join.' which it is clear that no one from Ukraine to Russia apparently believed to be the case. The bigger issue was the timeline of joining wasn't quick enough than that it was totally impossible. I'm not sold that there is something about Ukraine that makes Germany or France unwilling to go to war over yet they would do so for noted, valued NATO member, Albania.

Saladman posted:

North Macedonia is a NATO country now. They didn't really get led on and baited, they were repeatedly told they have to rename their country and stop irredentist claims to parts of Greece. Which they did, and then they got into NATO like super fast after renaming themselves to N Macedonia.

yeah sorry, i meant specifically in the context of the 2008 meeting. you are correct yeah

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Chewbaccanator posted:

I believe the "something about Ukraine" is the nuclear power sitting next to them that has repeatedly stated since the 2000s that them joining NATO is a non-starter.

That seems like a legitimate reason to block accession compared to Albania.

Eh just using them as an example of a state that your average western european or american is not excited to die in defense of, and yet they are still in. And in any event, once again, take Latvia (or Estonia for that matter), which also shares a border with russia, so the question remains unanswered.

Alchenar posted:

Nah in for a penny in for a pound. The additional cost of occupying the West of the country would likely be less that allowing a continuing rump free Ukraine in the West with an open border with Europe.

If Russia is concerned about an insurgency and organized opposition to their invasion in general, leaving half of ukraine as an unoccupied staging ground would definitely go well and definitely does not have any notable precedents that are synonymous with military quagmire.

That said, it's way too early for anyone to really know how far they plan to push into Ukraine.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Jarmak posted:

If they were doing it smart/correctly they would be ferrying in troops via the airfield very quickly. That CNN video makes it seem like that didn't happen.

supposedly ukranians covered the airfield's runways in tractors and disabled heavy machinery and so on. WHo knows if that's true or just a rumor though.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah...this seems like an odd "show of force" for little gain:

Yeah you took an airport hundreds of kilometers away from your reinforcements on your reportedly weakest front, now you are utterly cut off and surrounded. It's a potentially decent propaganda tool I guess, but those spec ops should just be considered killed or captured at this point. Again, not a lot of gain for substantial losses.

This is what I mean, a lot of Russian maneuvers reported seem very...amateurish so far? They aren't used to fighting a war where they can't just bulldoze.

nah it's the opposite, in theory. You take the airport so that it becomes your anchor point and your resupply hub and it lets you bring in troop transports and mega transports full of armored vehicles, which saves you driving them for a day or two across ukraine. If they can succesfully take it, it's a huge benefit.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Kamrat posted:

Thought we weren't supposed to post POWs?

posting is not covered by the geneva conventions lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I assume that they'll just try to take another airport in the next day or so, but it's a big deal that they could not secure hostomel. Russian plan was to have transports pouring equipment and personnel into it at this point, so that's a big hold.

Also very much would not want to be a tanker with orders to drive hundreds of miles across hostile territory in ukraine right now. driving onto and off of a plane seems like a hugely better deal than that

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Wuxi posted:

Considering what happened to that transport plane that crashed in Russia proper I wouldn|t be so sure about that.

ironically there's a very real chance that that plane was meant to land reenforcements at hostomel

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I can't find any confirmation of the opposite either. Everyone is reposting the same 1 video.

there's zero evidence that russia ever had the airfield beyond the original forces videotaped there. re-enforcements apparently didn't materialize.

Until someone shows some evidence of Russians holding the airfield it appears to be the case that the airfield is under ukranian control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah I'm dealing with this to some extent as well. Longtime girlfriend's a first generation immigrant (mother's side is Ukrainian, dad's is Russian) and this week has been stressful, to put things mildly. Thankfully the maternal grandparents are over here - Holocaust survivors as well, for added fun - but the whole situation still really sucks. I don't know what the right answer is, but I'm just being here for her right now. No clue how helpful this is, but wanted to let a fellow goon know they're not alone in facing that sort of situation.

I did some quick napkin math and that amount of transport planes, besides being apparently ~1/6 of the Il-76's in service, is somewhere between 2-4 battalion tactical groups (or around a brigade) depending on composition. Probably not the thing you want dropping ten miles outside your capitol on Day One.

that was basically the hail mary play

ZombieLenin posted:

I just saw a lot of Russian soldiers die. Symmetric or, near symmetric peer to peer modern warfare is loving terrifying.

We really have not seen this sort of thing happen in a long time.

azerbaijan's war with armenia was barely even 2 years ago