Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Wait, Carmen is leaving hints as to where to catch her henchmen? Do they know this?

(A central part of the game show was that episode's henchman giving up Carmen's whereabouts, so no honor among thieves...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Wait, Carmen is leaving hints as to where to catch her henchmen? Do they know this?

(A central part of the game show was that episode's henchman giving up Carmen's whereabouts, so no honor among thieves...)

A running theme of the lot of the Carmen Sandiego games is that she has a soft spot for... well, to put it bluntly, morons. So she has to specify stuff like "hide here until I pick you up".

To no one's surprise, this usually backfires one way or another.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
At least you can't say that Carmen discriminates in her hiring practices. A lot of her henchpeople would have serious issues getting a steady and paying job in a regular economy, so this sort of gig work is pretty good for them.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man, playing this as a kid I was steamed that the final time tunnel sequences weren't subtitled. Sucks when you're deaf!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Quackles posted:

A running theme of the lot of the Carmen Sandiego games is that she has a soft spot for... well, to put it bluntly, morons. So she has to specify stuff like "hide here until I pick you up".

To no one's surprise, this usually backfires one way or another.

Maybe she hires morons to do big flashy heists and get caught as a smokescreen for her real smaller-scale cons that go unnoticed and actually make money.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I question Carmen's motives a lot in this game, but there's a lot of other questions to be had, like why is everyone so calm.

Just finished recording Mystery 2 and it was a quick one, so I'll probably post the whole thing tomorrow, research and all.

I'll leave a hint for you gumshoes: You'll want to take a bath after taking part in this. Wash your elbows and clean your joints as you snake your way to meet the thief and have a salad afterwards.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Of course, it's not like the henchpeople spend any time in jail... Maybe VILE is just some eccentric club, who sits around coming up with ridiculous things to steal, daring each other. And ACME isn't really concerned, as their crimes are easily thwarted by random elementary schoolers. Only question is, who puts the things back?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, VILE has always sounded like a group Codename: Kids Next Door villains, and their goals are just as nonsensical.

Or I guess the other way around since Miss Carmen was here first

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
True most of the henchmen aren't much but Carmen herself. has Theft stat: GOD

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Last time, we helped out Queen Hatshepsut, an ugly Priest, and returned Thutmose the II's Book of the Dead. I think we're ready for some more adventure. Let's get started.

(Video)

We return to the Time Tunnel to touch base with The Chief.

: Tie on your toga, Time Pilot. This time tunnel terminates in Ancient Rome circa 50 B.C.E, during Julius Caesar's reign. For some reason, Rome's amazing water system is completely dry. You better find out why.

: This case calls for a master Engineer. That's why I'm sending along ACME's inventor extraordinaire, Ivan Idea, as your good guide.

Hm, that red backwards baseball cap, long sleeves with a t-shirt, and shorts is giving me heavy 90's flashbacks...

: He's got your Time Cuffs and your next Chronopedia chapter. Good luck with the case, Time Pilot and uh...dip a toe in the pool, if you get a chance.

Aw sweet, time to get wet.

R.I.P. Sondheim (I'm not going to miss an opportunity to post musicals).

If you didn't watch the video, just imagine a Bill/Ted knock-off with a higher vocal pitch. Vocal fry, but barely out of puberty. ~THE RaDiCaL 90'S~

: Hail, strangers, lend me your ears!

: Some wretched renegade has stolen the Forum and vandalized our great city's plumbing in the bargain.

Sounds like...SOMETHING AWFUL...hehe.

: We'd better have a word with Caesar and see what's up.

Who is not guarded and still pleasantly chill for someone who watched some chumps walk out of a hole in thin air, but I digress. Let's get some flavor text out of the way and show off Ivan's thinking pose. Let's start with the running man statue on the left.

: /Heavy./ That looks like a statue of the Greek god, Hermes.

: The Greeks called him Hermes, but we Romans call him Mercury -- messenger of the gods. His winged ankles make for fast deliveries!

Got to give Zeus all his love letters and pizza on time. If it's over 30 minutes, the excuse for his wife and food is free! What does our inventor think of Caesar's bench?

: Wow, look at that fine furniture. These Romans had epic accommodations!

: Such furnishings represent the taste of the upper class, of course. The lower classes live more roughly, which accounts for the annoying rebellions we must occasionally crush.

:stare: Well, at least you aren't French, Julius. I mean...your life will be cut short in a few years but uh...HEY IVAN! What do you have to say about the column behind you?

: What a hairdo at the top of that column!

: Indeed. The ornate style of that column is one of my favorites. Makes one think of beautifully sculpted leaves, don't you think?

Yes, leaves are more accurate than hair, Ivan. Gosh. What about the column on the other side, in front of the other statue?

: Check the marble horns on this baby. Beautiful!

Definitely ramming it in, aren't you Ivan? What about the column closest to Caesar?

: I like the simple elegance of this column. I wonder if the Chronopedia has any details about it.

Spoiler: It does. However, I'm going wait until we unlock those Time Cuffs to check it out! What about the column on the other end of that cove by Caesar?

: This column seems to be lacking vertical flutes. Its sides are smooth as silver!

Oh, so the vertical flutes are the indents in the columns? Thanks, Ivan? I learned something new from my Carmen Sandiego game.

: Ah, yes, we Romans use several different types of columns in our buildings. The variety was inspired by our Greek predecessors.

Same story, different era. Let's check that statue to the right of the Caesar.

: That's a retiarius -- which means "net man" in Latin. A retiarius was a kind of gladiator who snared his opponent with a net and finished the job with a three-pronged trident.

: Believe me, a gladiator's life in the Coliseum and a politician's life in the Senate have much in common!

Oof, that hits too close to home. I'm reminded of a certain politician beating another politician with another cane (true story, look it up).

: Well, just watch your back, Julius

...Damnit, Ivan. Let's ask Ivan some questions before Caesar gets any ideas.

This is Ivan's thinking stance when you ask him questions. It's so goofy. Hey Ivan.

: How goes it, my friend?

...I don't know if we're friends yet, buddy. What should we do?

: Let's talk to Julius Caesar and get more details about the time crime!

Oh right, let's get on that. Okay, thanks Ivan. One more thing before we do, there's either a trash problem in Rome, or that's a Carmen Note by Caesar's foot.

: Too much! Take a look at that Carmen Note!

I get the sense that the Forum is much bigger than some website. Let's talk to Julius.

That sounds lovely, but let's start with tried and true: Who are you?

: I am Julius Caesar, powerful leader and soon to be emperor of Rome!

Ah, so in between eras, eh? Tell me Julius, How did you gain power?

: Military brilliance, my friend. I am a clever and fearless general, and I have commanded the best trained Legions in all the Roman Empire.

So, don't go against you in a fight, got it. Is serving as general your only job?

: I made my reputation as a general, but lately I've been focusing on politics. I've brought order to the rowdy Roman streets, and I plan to introduce the 365-day calendar any month now.

Oh, neato. I wonder if it's July about this time. So tell me Julius, was there a theft?

: Yes, and a most felonious one! Some wretch stole the whole city block that houses the Roman Forum!

Oh that sounds...wait. Wait, wait wait...WAIT. This V.I.L.E fool stole an ENTIRE city block? I have many more questions than basic baby questions. How in the Jupiter's name did this thief steal an ENTIRE BLOCK? Like, I get a scroll, jewelry, manuscripts. You know, easy to hide and handle but an entire building? Can we talk about this? No? Oh Christ...fine. What is the Forum?

: The Forum is the center of all government, business, law, and religion! Rome will be lost without it!

I mean, I think Rome will be lost anyway in the future but...an entire building? The gonads, man. Where did the thief go?

: The villain escaped through our sewer system before my Legionnaires could grab him, wrecking the pipes in his rush!

That's gnarly and really gross. What happened to the sewers?

: When the thief escaped, he knocked many of the sewer pipes out of place. We have a serious failure of flow as a result!

Ew. Okay, okay. I know this is a dumb question, but why does the sewer water need to flow?

: Why? Everyone needs clean water to drink and bathe, and the latrines must carry away unhealthy wastes. If the sewers are not fixed, things will get ugly, fast.

I suppose that's where we come in. Can we help fix the sewers?

: I thought you'd never ask. Go find my head plumber, who is working beneath the streets of Rome. He could certainly use your help fixing the scattered sewers!

Okay, thanks. Second mission and I'm already sick of this poo poo. Let's go outside and see how bad it is.

Listen here, old man. I don't have to pu--MY GOD. Are you NAKED? Jesus. Let's...let's get the flavor text out of the way. Let's check out that fish fountain.

: That graceful fountain is where we get all our drinking water. I find it a lovely sculpture -- when it is working!

I'm gonna make you wait, Karen.

: The Romans used hidden tanks and the force of gravity to make water jet out of their fountains. Cool.

Yeah, that is pretty neat. Got anything to say about the latrines?

: Puteo! Uhegh. That latrine looks backed up. The smell alone could overpower a fierce enemy.

Your mother's smell could too, pal.

: Latrine is another word for toilet. So hey, where do you guys keep the toilet paper?

: Oh, paper is much too rare and expensive to be used in that manner. We prefer sponges attached to sticks.

And this is why I'm thankful for bidets. Let's check out the...hold on...tep...tepidarium?

: This tepidarium is usually a comfortable place when the bath is filled with warm water. But not today!

Yeah, I bet your junk is shrinking, old man. Let's look at the temple in the distance.

: That looks like a little Roman temple.

: That pleasant little temple is built in the old Greek style. I often have lunch there after my bath!

I see you're hungry for attention, old man, so let's see what you have to say.

: Hey there. Stopped by for some bath gossip?

Um, I'm going to say yes and ask some questions. Let's go for tried and true. Who are you?

: Justinian is my name. Just your regular dashing and handsome Roman, enjoying my community bath.

Huh. Justinian. Why do I remember that name? Anyway, dumb question again but, do you like the community baths?

: Why, they're a welcome event for me. I come to exercise, cleanse my body-- and listen to gossip! Unfortunately, the is not much of a crowd today.

Yes, unfortunate. What type of soap do you use to bathe?

: Soap? What is soap? No, no, I rub olive oil over my body, scrape it off with a stirgil, and rinse with fresh water. Clean as a whistle! *Whistle*

Gross. Okay, next topic, how is life in Rome these days?

: Here's the latest gossip: Caesar is getting so powerful and popular that he might declare himself emperor! The Senate is getting so nervous that they may take drastic action! Juicy stuff, no?

Imagining Julius executing Order 66. Wait, who really leads Rome -- the Senate or Caesar?

: Ah, now there's a debate needing more than one bath! Put briefly, the Senate and Caesar share power in Rome, but tend to try and outdo each other!

I'm now imagining Order 66 being a lip sync battle. Slay Caesar! Okay, old man, will you take a bath?

: I'd love to! But without water there's not much of a bath.

Oh right. Well, let's talk with Ivan really quick and touch base. Hey Ivan!

: Yes, Ivan here.

So...uh...what now?

: We need to find the source of Rome's plumbing problems.

Oh right, we're plumbers this time around. How can we fix Rome's plumbing?

: The answer lies right under our noses. Twenty feet under, that is, in Rome's underground sewers!

Ugh...fine. Thanks, Ivan. Let's head underground and get the plumbing done. Can't build Rome in a day, but we can certainly try and fix it!

: We have a job to do, Pilot! And remember, talk to me if you need help.

I'll certainly talk with you in a moment, Ivan. Let's talk with the head plumber first.

: Greetings! I hope you've come to help solve my plumbing predicament!

Yep, that's what we're here for. Just a couple of weirdos, helping your city's plumbing. As always, tried and true, who are you?

: I'm Marius Maximus, plebeian plumber of the Roman Republic!

What hipster brought you down to call you a pleb? Oh...that's not what they mean? Oh. Hey, why does Marius sound familiar? Hm....is your plumbing job important?

: My job is essential! Roman plumbing brings fresh water to the public baths and fountains, while also carrying away waste! Without my services, Rome would be a mess!

That's a lot of poo poo. So lay it down, Marius. What is the problem?

: It seems an escaping thief knocked many of the sewer pipes out of place. If things aren't fixed fast, the Roman citizenry will soon be thirsty, dirty, and sick!

I predict a riot! How can we help?

: Try putting the sewer pipes into place. When you finish, we'll arm the pumps and get the water flowing! Like this!

Neat. So, I see what we need to do, but let's finish our questions. How do we fix the sewer

: It is quite simple, really. We need to get clean water flowing up to the fountain and bath above. And we need to drain the dirty latrine water down to the trough on the floor.

Right. Clean water up to the bath and fountain, drain dirty water from the latrines and used bath water to the trough below Okay, thanks. Let's check in with Ivan for his advice.

: Hello! What's up?

What's our main goal with the sewer?

: We need to get clean water up to the fountain and bath. And we need to drain the dirty water from the toilet down into the trough.

He basically repeats Marius at this point, so let's get started. Since I failed my second semester of Latin, let's figure out what these words mean. The first one is easy, since I'm decent in Spanish. Let's check out Aqua, por favor.

: This is the freshwater inlet pipe.

: Sound refreshing! Where does all the water come from?

: All of Rome's water comes from distant rivers. We cleverly transport it here through long underground channels. We may even build above-ground channels someday and call them aqueducts!

Okay so the FRESH WATER is coming from there. There is a convenient arrow leading up and around the bend. Neat. What about the sign that says 'BALNEAE'?

: That's Latin for bath, so this pipe must be leading up to the tub above!

Perfect, so around that bend is the bathhouse above. There are two empty gaps, so we'll need to figure out which of the two needs the fresh water and which is the outtake. Next, is 'LATRINA', but I have a feeling we know what it is.

: This pipe is heading down from the latrine, alias toilet.

It's a cross gap so we may to do some thinking on figuring out how these pipes are fitted. Next is 'FONTIS', but with our deduction skills you can guess what this is.

: Fontis. If my Latin hasn't rusted, this pipe must lead up to the fountain.

Perfect. Thanks Ivan. Let's get a full look at our gaps and pipes and do some work.

This always got me as a kid. I remember having issues and having to do it at least 5 times. It was not easy for six-year-old My Face When. Now that I'm 31, I can see why it threw me off. So, our destination is the trough. Let's follow it backwards. We know the two vertical gaps are going to be vertical as well, but which one? Well, we know the bath and the fountain gets the clean water. The T-section I've marked crudely as 1, looks like it would connect directly to the fountain, but that's where it'll throw you off. The place I marked 2 will be your main focus, since you already know the two by the bath will be vertical.

The latrine will 100% being going down, so we figure out how. Again, you'll instinctively think latrine, down, right? What you actually need to do to give it an elbow. That way, you'll meet at 1 and head down to the trough. So, the elbow is there, and we have the fountain to worry about next. You can see it bends like another elbow, so let's put that there and go backwards and up to the bath. That's the pipe with the freshwater intake.

I admit I was probably really stupid. I'll share more dumb moments later in the series. Regardless, the pipes are fixed.

Click on lever to get the boys to start pumping and...

: Let's apply some muscle! Will you help me pump?

: Primed and ready to pump!

...my mind goes to the gutter. It looks like it worked though! No leaks and the dirty water came out into the trough.

: Why don't you journey up to the surface and see if our pipes are working in the daylight?

So we go back up and smell the fresh air of Rome again and it. is. glorious. When we are out, Justinian was quick to compliment!

: Congratulations! The plumbing works fine now, and I was in sore need of a bath! Oh, and I found this floating in my clean bath water. Have a look!

No, no. You dirty old man, you keep your floating turd in you--oh it's a Carmen Note.

Okay, it still could be anywhere. Do as romans do. baths, tonics. Let's find that last note. I think we may find it back down below in the sewer (noIdidn'tforgetitshutupmom).

We get some much-deserved praise and by my mouse pointer/hand is a Carmen note. First, let's see what Ivan says before we pick up the note, out of curiosity. Hey, Ivan.

: How goes it, my friend?

Yeah, we had to deal with poo poo together, I guess you're my friend, guy. So, where is the thief?

: We won't know where the thief is hiding until we put together all of Carmen Sandiego's notorious note. Let's scrounge up all the pieces, pronto!

The guides will just remind you 'Hey, you need to get all three notes in order to solve this'. You don't usually get the real hint until the end note, anyway. So, pick up those notes as quick as you can! Speaking of...

: Super job! You've found the last Carmen Note! We can decipher the riddle with a little help from the Chronopedia!

All right, marble is closer. Caesar is too. Ionic is capitalized, but we don't know what that is...

: I'm charging up the Time Cuffs. Let's use them where the thief is hiding!

With our time cuffs activated, it's time to deduce! Break open that Chronopedia.

Reading the Chronopedia give you the answer. Ionic columns are the bad boys with the horns. Let's start heading back! Out of curiosity though, let's see what Ivan says now we completed the note.

: Hello. What's up?

Hey Ivan. The Carmen Note is complete. Now what?

: Let's nab us a thief! The Chronopedia will help us figure out Carmen's note. Then we can use the Time Cuffs on the thief's hiding spot!

Again, just simple reminders if your memory or attention span is that of a child. However, we know where to go! Let's head up!

To Justinian scrubbing his back. Bless. Hey Justinian, can you boost my ego and tell me about the fountain now it's running?

: Good work! The thirsty citizens of Rome will be greatly relieved!

And the latrine?

: That latrine water has finally drained out.

Good. And the tepidarium?

: Ah! The water in here is now crystal clean!

Perfect! So long, old man! Let's get back to Caesar!

Toga, toga, toga!

: My first toga party! Stoked!

Woooooo! Ivan just went up to 11 on my Good Guide tier list!

: Oh wait, almost forgot -- we're here to catch a thief! Sorry, Caesar, we'll have to catch your Roman scene some other time.

...buzzkill Ivan.

: As you wish. All the seven hills of Rome thank you!

And with that, Julius runs stage right and is never seen again. Now, you remember the Ionic column is the topper with the horns, right? We do the hold and drag technique over the column on the far-right and...

(Video)

: Super deducing Pilot! That Column with the marble horns is one hundred percent Ionic. Talk about ironic!

~It's like RAIIIIEEEEAAAAAAAAIIIINNNN ON YOUR WEDDDDING DAY~

Well, hello there. Wait, he was hiding behind there the whole time?! What? You know what? Screw it...sic 'em, Ivan!

Way to go, Ivan. With that, we've caught our V.I.L.E. criminal.

: We've cracked the case and captured the diabolical Dr. Belljar!

Cool, so...how the hell did he steal an entire block again? No? Okay...I guess we go back to the wormhole then.

: Tough luck, Belljar. Your formula for fiendishness has failed. You're due for a long tune-up in the ACME Jail.

: You pulled the plug on my prank, but Carmen won't leave me short-circuited for long. NYHEHEHEHEHE!

These evil laughs are getting out of hand. Anyway, let's check in with Chief!

: Way to go, Time Pilot! You busted that beastly Belljar, found the forum and restored the history of Civil Engineering. Thanks to you, Rome's Sewer system is in top working order and because of that, we all have indoor plumbing today! For that you deserve recognition. I'm promoting you to Time Scout. Now, you got something to scout about!

:toot:

: There's a whole new case up ahead. Can you take it on right now?

You know Chief, I'm in dire need of a bath so I'm going to take a break right now.

: When you decide to resume the search, we'll pick it up from here. Bye for now.

You're the best, Chief. Anyway, give me a moment to bathe and we'll do our RESEARCH DISCUSSION.

---

Recommended Videos:

*Starred are my favorites

Crash Course on Rome in General
(>13Mins)

Crash Course on Rome Engineering* (>13mins)
Crash Course on Greek/Roman Pantheon (>13Mins)
Ruining History on Battle of Alesia* (>23Mins)
Ted-ED on Julius Caesar's Assassination (>6Mins)
Thug Notes on Shakespeare's Julius Caesar* (>5Mins, I know Shakespeare embellished, I don't care. It's Thug Notes.)
The Infographics Show on Julius Caesar* (12Mins)
NatGeo on Ancient Rome
(>7mins)

History Channel's Engineering an Empire (>45 Mins)
Nutty History on Ancient Roman Hygiene (>6Mins)
The Endless Adventure visits the ruins in Bath, England. (Should start on 2:33 and goes to about 7:30)
Smart History on Classic Orders (the Columns) (>12mins
Vox on Roman Columns* (>5Mins)
Rick Steves' Europe at the Roman Forum (>4Mins)
The Infographics Show on Roman Legionnaires (>12Mins)
The Infographics Show on the Roman Colosseum (>10Mins)

Full Playlist of History Channel's Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire. (>45Mins Each episode)

EXTRA CREDIT:

Look Back History on Justinian and the Byzantine Empire (>6mins)
Saving History on Gaius Marius (>11Mins)

World History Encyclopedia Article on The Roman Forum

Honestly, there's nothing I can really add about Rome or Julius Caesar that hasn't already been said. Dude was a calculated and cunning general. He knew what he needed to do to get the people on his back. You see Rome in the roads you drive on and the water you drink. Just like Greece "inspired" Rome, much of North America is "inspired" by Rome. I think despite the fall of the Empire, it shows just how timeless its influence is on the world and that's something to not take lightly. I may not agree with everything that Rome did, but it does garner a modicum of respect.

I give Rome an A+ Grade for being a remarkable republic and empire. I give Julius an A for his military tactics, but he should have listened to the Calpurnia, dude. That knocks him off a notch.

Next time, we start on Mystery 3.

My Face When fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 18, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh man. That puzzle with the pipes stumped me for three days when I was a kid. (I figured out about the curved pipes, but kept getting the placement of the one-way pipe wrong.)

I'm a fan of that case, though. The bather has several comic double takes if you get it wrong and redirect latrine water into his tub (which is very, very possible if you took as long with the puzzle as I did).

And as for the columns, well...

...isn't it Ionic, don't you think? :agesilaus:

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Oh yeah, Justinian is a great NPC and I remember the reactions very well. I'll show off a failure run in the future. I missed a bit of flavor text as well, so we'll revisit, no doubt. The fact I got in as many as I did was crazy, but there really wasn't a whole lot to this level, compared to later levels.

Oh and a clarification:

Cobalt-60 posted:

Carmen writes the note, the dumbasses tear it up and spread it around and we find them. As you can see, they are easy to find.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...I also have questions about how someone managed to steal the entire Forum :psyduck:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They were able to snap up forums.romanawful.ltm when Julius forgot to reup it, stealing it right from under him

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Black Robe posted:

...I also have questions about how someone managed to steal the entire Forum :psyduck:

This is small potatoes for your average Carmen Sandiego theft.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yeah, I'm p sure Carmen has stolen the entire Great Wall of China before.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Fair, but this is Dr. Belljar, not Carmen Sandiego we're dealing with here.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm a little sad you aren't showing some of the puzzle failures. I loved the way the Priest in C1 would go "What a MESS" and the old man in this case has a funny line when the dirty water is coming out in the bath.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

mateo360 posted:

I'm a little sad you aren't showing some of the puzzle failures. I loved the way the Priest in C1 would go "What a MESS" and the old man in this case has a funny line when the dirty water is coming out in the bath.

As I've stated earlier, I'll be doing Failure runs. There's a few things I've missed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Turns out, the VILE agents are just really good at following directions exactly as written. Carmen says steal a Roman city block then hide behind a pillar & tear up a note, and that's precisely what they do.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ancient Rome, check! And our sewer level was the Cloaca Maxima.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Of note, Dr Belljar is one of the henchmen Carmen uses in the Tv show 'Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego'. I'm not sure which one came first.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

The show predates this game by 6 years (1991) so yeah a lot of familiar faces from the show. Defunctland has a great video going over the TV show and i recommend it. For me, my afternoons were reading rainbow and Carmen Sandiego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVVkSlXl41Q

Edit: heres a full episode for context as well. This show really was a big deal and really inspired a lot of kids, myself included. It had so much charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSCNjbNy4I

My Face When fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 19, 2022

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Showtunes?!

Best thread ever

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Showtunes?!

Best thread ever

As a student of theatre, I am obliged to do at least one post with a showtune or reference to showtunes in my posts. It is inevitable.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Then merrily (will) we roll along in this thread

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I never had the gameshow growing up, but I did have the action cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGufyFt6zQc

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

SystemLogoff posted:

I never had the gameshow growing up, but I did have the action cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGufyFt6zQc

I don't remember if this was run on exclusively PBS or Fox Kids. If it was Fox Kids it may have been too early in the decade for me and by that time I was moving on to the Golden Age of Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc. If it was PBS, it may have been at a time that i couldn't watch it.

Edit: yeah fox kids. Nick, CN and Disney. were easier for child me because they were 3 channels apart on cable box. Fox was on the earlier channels. I was lazy.

My Face When fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 20, 2022

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

(Video)

Failure Run #1 - Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome

Hint for the next mystery:

A boulder can't stop our Scouts, nor can fire and steel. We aid our Nordic friend to head for Greenland and start a new Leif in our journey.

Edit: Caesar's voice actor is listed as Paul Costanzo on IMDB? I'm not sure how accurate that is. It sounds pretty close right?

My Face When fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 22, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So Vikings next? Well, I guess they’ve always been popular. And that kinda checks off medieval times, though I’d prefer to see knights down the road too.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
As far as missed failure lines go, I think most of the ones you're missing are related to items—using them on the wrong target (like trying to set various people and things on fire with the torch from Case 1, or guessing the thief's hiding spot wrong at the end of a case), trying to pocket items that don't go into your inventory (such as the individual sewer pipes in Case 2), or trying to perform actions before you've been told to do them. There also might be lines related to manually talking to the bather again while the bathwater is filthy, as opposed to the lines that happen automatically upon entering the area?

Re: voice actors, they're all credited in a text file called "TIME Game Notes" that should be included with the game's files, and according to that Caesar is indeed Paul Costanzo. (It also has some other goodies, such as official author's notes about the historical accuracy or inaccuracy of certain moments in each case!)

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Zyxyz posted:

As far as missed failure lines go, I think most of the ones you're missing are related to items—using them on the wrong target (like trying to set various people and things on fire with the torch from Case 1, or guessing the thief's hiding spot wrong at the end of a case), trying to pocket items that don't go into your inventory (such as the individual sewer pipes in Case 2), or trying to perform actions before you've been told to do them. There also might be lines related to manually talking to the bather again while the bathwater is filthy, as opposed to the lines that happen automatically upon entering the area?

Re: voice actors, they're all credited in a text file called "TIME Game Notes" that should be included with the game's files, and according to that Caesar is indeed Paul Costanzo. (It also has some other goodies, such as official author's notes about the historical accuracy or inaccuracy of certain moments in each case!)

There is a lot in this game :cry:

This was my 8th take so i was more focused on trying to get the failures done. Ill try to keep note of everything. Also didn't realize about the fire one.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I've recorded and edited the raw footage, but I'll probably have the post up tomorrow. It'll be another short one, so prepare your mead horns Time Scouts.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Last time, we were plumbers and fixed Rome and captured Dr. Belljar for Julius Caesar. We even got promoted to Time Scout for our hard work, but no toga party. Bummer. Let's head back to the void and see where the Chief wants us to go next.

(Video)

I'm half expecting the TARDIS to pop in.

: Your next stop in time is the 11th century. You'll land in Vinland. You'll know it as North America, but no one will call it that for another 500 years. Leif Erikson and his band of Vikings should have departed for Greenland by now, but they're going nowhere fast! Find out what's holding them up.

It's Leif Erikson day! (Link)

: I'm sending Rock Solid to be your good guide. Rock's an excellent explorer and in the wilderness of Vinland, that's just what you'll need. He's got your time cuffs and another Chronopedia chapter. Good luck scouting, Time Scout!

Rock looks like a bear of a man, and he has the burly voice of one too. With that, we travel to Vinland!

Rock walks out in a goofy manner and a man is rummaging through his boat.

That does seem like a predicament, but it seems the man at the row boat is preparing to leave...

Oh...that's not good.

: My ship! A scoundrel's run off with my poor ship! It's almost reached the horizon!

Oh no, how horrible. Anyway, let's check out some flavor text. Hey Rocky, can you tell me about the ship sailing away?

: Vikings were expert sailors and used vessels like that knorr ship to travel and raid throughout Europe.

Neat. How about this beautiful vast ocean?

: The Atlantic Ocean is wide and treacherous -- only the sturdiest sailors and boats can traverse it!

I mean, yeah. When I think of Vikings, I think of sturdy seamen.

: We Norsemen may be skilled sailors, but we prefer to stay within sight of land. While crossing the wide ocean, we spent several anxious days with nothing in sigh but water!

Huh, that is actually interesting to think about. What's with those footprints in the sand, Rock?

: Vikings may have been the first Europeans to visit North America, but native tribes like the Inuits had already lived here for centuries.

I feel the need to say 'Same story, Different era' but that really doesn't come until later when Leif's brother, Thorvald, took a trip to Vinland. All right, with that flavor text out of the way, let's ask Rocky boy a question. Hey Rock!

: What's up?

What should we do?

: Let's try talking with Leif Eriksson. He looks upset.

He does look quite upset. Okay, thanks Rock. Let's figure out what's up with our nervous boy Leif. Hi Leif!

: By Thor's Hammer, my ship has been pilfered! I must summon my crew for a Thing!

...I'm sorry, what? Let's get to that thing in a bit. Tried and true, Hello, who are you?

: Leif Eriksson's the name. I'm an explorer, like my father, Erik the Red. I've led my loyal crew here to Vinland!

: Leif Eriksson was also known as Leif the Lucky, but Luckless might be a better name for him today!

Rock, how rude. You're going to make Leif feel worse. Leif, is this your first visit to Vinland?

: It is, landsmen, it is. Another Greenlander - Bjarni Herjulfsson - passed these shores but never landed. That was an honor he left for me! And now I must return to Greenland!

Hmm, well it doesn't seem too bad to stay here. Why must you go back to Greenland?

: Why, to spread tidings of my discovery to the Norse people! And after eight long months here, even a mighty explorer can get homesick.

Oh yikes. I can imagine. Well Leif, what happened to your ship?

: A thieving rogue took out ship -- without it, we'll be marooned in Vinland forever!

Well, did you get a good look at the thief?

: Alas no. But I did catch a whiff of something vile in the air.

Does that mean our thief smells? Nasty. What can we do to help, Leif?

: I'll keep an eye on the ship, while you summon my crew for a Thing!

Oh right...the...um...Thing. What, exactly, is a Thing?

: A "Thing" is an assembly of Norsemen, gathered to make an important group decision. This democratic practice was brought from Iceland to Greenland by my father, Erik the Red!

Oh, so a thing is basically a vote. That makes more sense than a 'thing'. Hey Leif, your father seems like a smart man. Could you tell us more about your father, Erik the Red?

: With a fleet of twenty-five ships, my father Erik the Red sailed from Iceland to settle Greenland in 985!

I get the feeling a reason why Erik the Red went to Greenland is buried in that sentence, but let's move on. Does the entire crew need to be present for a "Thing"?

: Of course! Everyone must contribute their opinion before a decision is reached. There'd always be doubt if we left someone out!

Okay, thanks. At least they try and hear everyone's opinion on a matter. Let's try and get this thing going! Hey Rock!

: What's up?

That's Rock's stance when you're asking questions. Rock, what can we do to help Leif?

: Let's talk to all of his Viking crewmen and get them to come to the shore.

Okay, thanks Rock. I guess that's easy enough. I wonder how many Leif brought with him. As we leave, Leif hollers a cry of 'Hurry back!' Of course, we Time scouts will take our time and scout around.

The first thing I see is a piece of the Carmen Note. Let's pick it up and get our first clue.

: Good eye! It's a scrap of Carmen's note to her thief!

Pretty vague, but I think it has to do with a boat. Let's move on to the flavor text in this area. Hey Rock, what do you have to say about the Sod Houses?

: In places where wood and stone were rare, Vikings built houses like these out of grass sod.

I'm quickly reminded of my thatch houses in Ark and how easy they were to crumble. Luckily, Leif and his crew doesn't have to deal with pesky dinosaurs! And believe it or not, that's it for the flavor text in the settlement. Let's check inside the Sod House.

And it looks like we found ourselves in the blacksmith's house. Now we're talking. Going to get me an axe to slay the beast that is THE BARON! We have more flavor text in here, so let's get to clicking. Hey Rock, what's up with the shield by the door?

: The Viking shield was brightly painted and usually made of wood, with iron in the center and around its rim.

: That Norse shield can be held by hand or hung from a ship's side during fierce sea battles!

Paint my shield pink with the hearts of unicorns as I bash my enemies with my wooden might! Oh sorry, I'm getting a bit overzealous. Hey Rock, what's with the pretty pendant on the table?

: That's an ornamental necklace called Thor's Hammer. Thor was one of the Viking gods, like Wodin, Loki and Frey. Some of the days of the week in our modern calendar are named after Norse gods.

Hm, I'll keep that in mind for the future, Rock. I'm getting a sense that calendars are a big part of our society and history since this is the third time that calendars have been mentioned in this game. Rock, what do you have to say about the pointy wood?

: Vikings used long, sharp spears as thrusting weapons. Talk about a tough toothpick!

No kidding. What observation do you have for the big fire on the left, Rock?

: Blacksmithing was very important to the Vikings, whose survival in battle depended on the quality of their weapons and armor.

I mean, when you're raiding and pillaging monasteries, you probably need your weapon sharp. What's with the tongs?

: Blacksmiths used trusty tongs like these to hold onto sizzling red-hot metal. I get blisters just thinking about it!

That's hot. What about that sword, Rock?

: A sword was a Viking's most precious weapon!

: All I need is a spot of silver to finish off this ceremonial blade!

Hmm, my quest senses are tingling. Let's see what the Blacksmith has to say. Hey Blacksmith!

: Welcome! But stand back -- this sword is white-hot!

All right, we won't take long. Let's just ask our questions and start off. Say it with me: Tried and true, who are you?

: I'm Ivor the Blacksmith. I make tools, weapons and armor for the Norse community.

That's cool. I don't think you use vibranium, so what kind of metal do you use?

: Iron, mostly. For a blacksmith, iron is as good a gold.

I seem to recall that gold weapons aren't as useful because they are more malleable than iron. I can't remember where I heard it, so don't quote me on it. Anyway, Ivor, what are you making?

: I'm heating a braid of iron in my forge, then hammering it into a sword. It will be a beautiful piece, but I need a little silver to finish it off!

My senses are tingling harder now. But Ivor, what's so special about swords?

: Why, the sword is a Norseman's most valued weapon! We even give our swords dramatic names like "Battle Fire" or "Dragon Bite." But I can't name this new sword until I have some silver.

My sword would be 'Bitchin' Side Hustle'. And that's the third time we've heard him complain about having no silver for the sword. I think you know where this is going. Can you take a break and come down to the shore?

: I'm afraid I can't leave until I've polished off this sword with some fine silver. A well-crafted sword deserves to gleam like a dragon's eye!

So we have the crux of the mystery. Each crew man we meet will be in the middle of something and can't go to the Thing without getting what they want. Ivor here needs Silver, but we don't know where to find it yet. However...Hey! Rock! Check out that BATTLE AXE! What do you have to say about it?

: That's a battle-axe, a weapon well known for its smashing and cutting power. It looks like a handy tool!

It would be handy...FOR ME TO SHED THE BARON'S BLOOD!

: My axe loves the taste of enemy shields -- feel free to borrow it!

Oh man, are you serious? Hell. Yes. Let's hold and drag that bad boy in our inventory! Sweet, I'm getting bloodthirsty. Let's try our axe on Ivor!

: I call that spare battle-axe "Wolf of the Wound" -- it's a loyal comrade in battle. Feel free to use it. Just not on me.

Lame. Let's test it on the shield then.

: Nah. Let's not smash and chop that up.

Aw. From here, I used the axe on everything I could in the blacksmith. He repeated the above statement. Buzzkillington Rock over here. Let's move on and try and find the silver and the rest of the crew. Ivor speaks up with a "Farewell, travelers. Come back and visit my forge again!" Oh, we will, Ivor. While we're outside, let's check in with Rock. Hey Rock!

: Yes?

Rock, how can we help the Viking blacksmith?

: I believe he needed something to finish his sword.

Right, the silver. Let's move to the shore and show Leif our axe...by USING IT ON HIM.

: No thanks! I'm afraid I can't bash that ship-thieving rogue from here!

Bummer. Well, so much for that. Let's head for the closest place I can think where silver would be and head for the hillside.

As you can see, we have three directions and a conspicuous item above us. Those grapes look pretty easy to catch, especially with Rocky boy here. Let's try and get those grapes!

: You know, Leif may have named this country Vinland because of all the grapes growing here.

I suppose so? Maybe he just got twisted and said this was land of wine and honey? Regardless, Rock reaches up and...

...well...he tried. I have questions about his um...flexibility there.

: Good thinking, but those grapes are out of reach.

Surprisingly, we don't have any flavor text here and Rock has no other questions. Let's move up to the hilltop!

We see someone chiseling away at a big boulder. Before we speak to him, let's get some flavor text out of the way. Hey Rock, what do you have to say about that helmet?

: You know, real Viking helmets didn't actually have horns. That's just a myth.

: Horns on a helmet? Who starts these crazy rumors, anyway?

I don't know! It does seem some things are exaggerated. Rock, what do you say about that big rock?

: The is one big boulder. Solid as a rock, if I do say so myself!

Haha. Punny. What about that tree stump holding that boulder?

: That tough old stump has quite a weight on its shoulders.

Hm...I'm tingling again. What do you think about the cloudy sky, Rock?

: Even on a day like this, the weather in Greenland and Iceland is rarely this warm. No wonder the Vikings like to travel!

I think it was more than the weather Rock, but what do I know? Let's go ahead and talk to the fellow chiseling. Hello, sir!

: Why hello! Watch out for these tools- 'cause I'm a chiseling fool! If I don't flatten this stone, I can't carve my runes!

Ah, so he's a runemaker. Let's ask our traditional first question, who are you?

: I'm Olaf the Runemaker. I record the exploits of my fellow Norsemen and our gods!

All right, sounds important. What are you doing?

: I'm trying to flatten this rock, so I can carve some Norse runes! All letters in the Norse alphabet are made up of straight lines, so that they are easy to carve into stone.

I didn't think of it like that. I thought it just looked cool. Well look, please come to the shore for a...thing

: Sorry, not until I've flattened this rock and finished my runes!

Ugh. Look I have this battle axe from Ivor you can borrow and...

: No thanks, I'm more in the mood for writing than fighting.

...Okay...Let's be stupid and try and use the axe on the boulder!

: Careful! Those rocks will dull your axe!

Right, because that would be stupid. Using the axe on the helmet repeats the 'Naw, let's not chop that up' line. Well, Rock, How can we help the Viking flatten the boulder?

: I'll bet we have something that could help him get things rolling.

My senses are scratching me in the ears. Let's take a moment to investigate the other area before we move on. Everything will connect, I promise. Let's go Rock!

: I'll catch you guys a-runed! Uhh, I mean around!

Take care Olaf. Back down the hillside, there is one other path we haven't taken. Let's go for the Riverside!

(Video if the gif is too small for you.)

This grape caper seems to have taken a dunk. Let's give this guy a quick chat. Hello!

: Hello there!

I know you're in a predicament, but who are you?

: I'm Tyrkir the Southerner. I grew up in a country south of the Norse homeland!

That's cool. Why are you standing on that rock?

: I went ape for a grape and fell out of the tree. I couldn't help myself -- the delicious grapes around here do not grow in chilly Greenland!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure grapes don't like the cold. Can you please come to the shore for a Thing?

: Sorry. That water is cold, it's over my head, and I can't even tread! I believe I'll stay right here and wait for more palatable conditions.

Hm. All right. What if we gave Tyrkir the battlaxe?

: Thank you, but I'd rather eat than fight!

We can also put the battleaxe on the rocks and the particularly shiny one and he'll repeat the same sentences. I do like that shiny rock. I wonder if we can take it?

Love how the rock pile goes over Rocky here. Anyway, we put the silver in our inventory and the pile of stones become some river stones. Easy for Tyrkir to jump on, right? The pile also revealed another piece of the Carmen Note

Hm. So, the Baron is definitely on the ship! I think. Anyway, let's finish this post with some tasty flavor text. Hey Rocky, what do you think about those Riverstones?

: Those stones are really stepping out, aren't they?

You're really hinting something, Rocky. What do you have to say about the water?

: Don't tell Leif, but this Southern seafarer can't swim!

I mean, not the craziest thing I've heard. What if we use the battleaxe on the riverstones?

: Be careful! Get that iron wet and it'll rust.

You're such a buzzkill, Rocky. All right. We'll I'll leave the post here for now to give you Time Scouts time to figure out what we need to do. I will be going over other Rocky things with the axe, so don't fret. Thanks for your patience and I'll see you next time!

My Face When fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 26, 2022

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
By sending Rock to Viking times, The Chief said "gay rights"

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Rocky is pretty great. His voice is so smooth and he's a big ol' bear. He's definitely in high tierage for Good Guides.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t like Rock. Any chance we can use the axe on him?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

There may be an opportunity in the next post. I tried to do every interactive thing i could, after i was told about the fire. I was curious and well, im gonna wild with it.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The main premise of the game (figuring out WHERE in time the crooks went) has been eliminated, and everything you need to know gets brought up in discussion. Are all these adventures self-contained, or do you have to consult the encyclopedia? (Not that I'm missing the "where's the almanac - we need to find the Monongahela River" part, especially when you share the almanac with several other classes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I believe they are self-contained, but you have to have the idea that kids are the people playing it. They aren't going to be meticulous like we are for the sake of the Let's Play. The answer will always be in the chronopedia and it never changes when you get the chapter at the start of the mystery. You could read the chronopedia first and then play the game like normal. But where's the fun in that?