Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Every mystery is self-contained.

The final chase to catch Carmen assumes you've played everything else, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Last time, we met Leif Eriksson and he tasked us with getting his crew together for a Thing, or a vote, on what do next. Ivor wants silver, Olaf can't flatten a boulder, and Tyrkir is stuck in the middle of the river. We have an axe and some silver. Before we get the thing going, let's check out some text we missed. Hey Rock~

: Yes?

What should I do about the Viking on the Rock?

: Well, maybe we need to find something that will help him out.

Okay and how can we get Tyrkir out of the river?

: Well, maybe we need to find something he wants.

So again, Rock is just reiterating what's already been stated in the previous post. Each of them wants something before they go to the Thing. Its implied in their conversation, if not outright stated what they want so it's not hard to figure out. There are variations if you already have the item in your inventory, I believe (I did do a second quick run just to make sure I had everything. I got the battle axe last and that's what you get when you don't have it).

Another text we didn't get was the silver!

: A silver nugget! The Vikings used silver and other precious metals for trading and metalwork.

Another hint from Rock. I may have forgotten to put what Rock said after you get the 2nd note at the Riverside. When you do pick it up, Rock says:

: A shard of Carmen's card! Our thief can't be too far!

With that, I think we can move on back to the Hillside fork to the hilltop. Before we help out Olaf though, some missing flavor text involving a battle axe and grapes.

: That's a battle-axe, not a tomahawk! Not much good for throwing.

Rock still killing my buzz on the fact we have a battleaxe and can't do much with it. I'm starting to get mad at our boy here. Let's move on up to the hilltop and see Olaf.

Olaf is still hammering the chisel and with no other flavor text to find, let's go ahead and use the battle axe on that stump!

: Put your shoulder behind it and give that stump a solid thump!

And so Olaf dies. We destroyed history and time itself and now the Nazis won the World War and...

Oh...nevermind...

: Woo hoo! This boulder's broken flat -- at last I can carve out my runes!

And like that, Olaf runs off to head for the shore with Leif. One down, two to go. While we are here and have a nice big rock for a big step, let's use it to grab those grapes!

: A Rock on a rock is just what we needed. We've got the grapes!

With a squelchy sound, Rocky has our big ol' grapes. Let's see what Rock has to say about the Runestone Olaf made.

: Runes often described details of Norse mythology, but these runes are more personal. They say "I, Olaf the Runemaker, defeated a mighty boulder in 1002." Sure he did.

Let's see if Rock has anything to add. Hey Rock?

: What's up?

Any suggestions for helping the Blacksmith?

: We might have something to lend his sword some shine.

I do have that silver. Let's do a skip and a hop around each of the places to check out some flavor text. Let's start with the silver first and go around and see what everyone has to say. Let's start with Rock.

: Thanks, but Good Guides can't accept tips! ACME rules, you know.

Sounds like ACME may need a few adjustments, if I do say so myself. Let's take the silver to our lovely Runemaker Olaf (if you haven't smashed the boulder already).

: No thank you! I prefer to carve my runes in rock!

At least he's polite about his preferences. Let's take the silver to our boy Leif then.

: No thank you! I'd give all the silver in Vinland for my ship!

Fair enough and how about Tyrkir? You sure you won't want the silver Tyrkir?

: It looks tasty-- but it's a bit hard on the teeth!

I wasn't trying to offer it as food, Tyrkir. You glutton. Well, speaking of food, let's check the others and see how they take the grapes. Let's start with Rock.

: I'd love some, but I'm watching my weight!

What, you need a pig on a spit? Since Olaf is gone by the time we get the grapes, he doesn't have anything to say, but I bet Ivor is hungry!

: No time for lunch while the forge is still hot!

All right fine. Let's check on Leif then. Maybe the grapes will calm him down

: No time for a picnic! We've got to recover our ship!

Okay fine. If you put the grapes on something you shouldn't, Rock will say:

: Well, that doesn't seem to work wonders there!

Or...

: I guess the grapes don't belong there!

And our final bit of flavor text for a bit is the grapes on the water by the river, where Rock will say:

: Be careful! Grapes don't float!

Perfect. There's a few other items we can use on the water...like my TRUSTY BATTLE AXE!

: You can't fish for Vikings with a Battle Axe!

Fine, what about the silver on the water?

: Watch out that stream might take that silver to sea!

With that done, let's finish our puzzles and get to the Thing!

Tyrkir is still shaking waiting for those palatable condition, but we need him at the Thing now! Since he seems to really like grapes, let's take the grapes and give it to Tyrkir.

: Yum! Grapes! My favorite!

: What an appetite! I'll bet he'd jump at a chance for some more fresh grapes!

So yes, he seems to react positively to the grapes, but has yet to move. Rock provides a hint but what do we do? Well, you do see how the riverstones are separated. It may give you an idea. Let's go ahead and test the idea and put the grapes on the first rock.

And he eats them right away and we somehow still have more. Okay. Let's move onto the next rock then and see if that works.

Okay good. Let's try it one more time on the next stone and...

Tyrkir runs off, clearly finding it more palatable with his belly full. With nothing else here, we only have one more crew member to deal with and we have what they need in our inventory. We can always ask Leif something.

: Greetings again. A cowardly rogue still commands my poor knorr ship! I need to call a Thing!

Leif, why won't some of your crew come to shore?

: My hard-working crew never leaves their work unfinished. Perhaps you can help them complete their tasks!

Another helpful clue, if needed. We don't need it though, for we are smart! Let's go see Ivor. When we arrive in Ivor's forge, we can put the grapes on the sword for the laughs.

: I guess the grapes don't belong there!

You know what, Rock? I'm so sick of your poo poo. If it's not puns it's telling me I can't do this or I can't do that! I'M GONNA USE THIS AXE ON YOU! FACE THE BLOODSHED AND DESPAIR!

: Ouch! Don't cut me down to size.

My axe is useless, and Rock continues his punny comebacks. drat you, Rock, you magnificent bastard! Fine, let's give Ivor the silver.

: A nugget of pure silver! Thank you! Now I can finish my sword!

And so all the crew members finished their tasks and are going to the Thing. Ivor even left us a gift of a Carmen Note!

Starboard, huh? I'm not really up to speed on my nautical terms, but I'm still certain our thief is on the boat. Let's get to the Vikings and help them out with the THING!

: I've had enough fighting and raiding! Vinland is pleasant enough!

: We Norsemen should strike fear into the hearts of our enemies! Let's reclaim our ship!

: Now that the choices are clear, let's vote and decide what to do! All who prefer to remain in Vinland, show your cowardly mitts! And let no one say this Thing is rigged!

: Now, all those noble souls who would prefer to reclaim our ship and return in glory to Greenland, please raise your loyal hands.

: Well, it doesn't take the wisdom of Wodin to see that a tie won't help us decide. Let us reconsider the issues at hand.

Well, it seems Leif has gotten enough gumption to be bias during the thing. There also seems to be a tie for this vote so we need to figure out how to break it. Leif will remark when we click on the Viking Crew, saying:

: Ah, it warms my Norse heart to see everyone here. It's a splendid time for a Thing!

Let's talk to Leif again.

: As I said, I vote we recover our knorr ship, and sail home to Greenland. What are your votes?

: We should settle this new land for future generations of Norsemen, just as Erik the Red settled Greenland!

: We've been away from our families for eight long months! Let's recover our ship and return to Greenland!

: Let's stay! Remember, there aren't any grapes back in Greenland!

: Hmm. Do you think we should say something?

No, let's keep out of the vote. This is clearly not our Thing to be a part of!

The Thing proceeds like normal, a tie resulting once more. Let's ask Rock what to do. Hey Rock, everyone's here! What should we do?

: Hmm. I don't think a tie is required here, or even desired! Let's add our vote and alter the scales.

I mean, I guess it sounds easy enough. Let's break the Viking's tied vote!

: What are you doing, landsmen? Only worthy Norsemen can vote in a Thing!

: But Leif, we are worthy Norsemen...um...in spirit.

: Hmmm. That's quite a claim. You must prove it!

Aw, yeah, my time to shine. BATTLE AXE TIME!

: All Norsemen of worth know that we have named our days after the gods of Valhalla.

Aw man, a quiz? I thought we were going to battle until one yielded. Fine, let's try our hand at this.

: Frey is the Norse god of sunshine and rain. What day comes before Frey's day?

Okay, well. If I think of the days we have, Frey reminds me of Fri and therefore, Friday. The day before Friday is Thursday. These are the answers you are given:

Wodin has a W and makes me think Wednesday. Tyr and Thor's day is a little trickier, until you think about Thor. Thor sounds like Thur so Thor's Day would be my answer here.

: We say "Thor's Day".

: That's right! But you might have been lucky-- like me! I'm going to pose you one more question...

Battle Axe Fight?

: Wodin, the god of War, is the greatest of the Norse Gods. What day comes before Wodin's Day?

Damnit. Okay, fine. Wodin, again, I thought would be Wednesday. The day before Wednesday is Tuesday and we've already said Thursday is Thor's day. Tyr is the other day in the answers so by elimination, it must be Tyr's Day. There are other questions and will change with each play. My second take asked what the day is after Tyr's day, which was Wodin's. I'm sure it does the same for getting Frey as an answer. If you get the wrong answer, Leif will call you out.

: That is not correct. And you call yourself a Norseman.

However, we are actually very smart and know the correct answer! Hit it, Rock!

: We say Tyr's Day!

: Right again! You must be Norsemen after all. We'd be honored if you'd vote in the Thing!

It will replay what we already seen, except for one small change.

Our vote counts and we break the tie!

: Well done! The issue is decided! Prepare the landing boat for battle.

Yay! Well, they get on the boat. If you forgot to pick up a Carmen Note, they won't leave yet and Rock says:

: While the Vikings prepare the boat, we'd better look for the rest of Carmen's note. Let's hurry!

Shutupmomididntforgetthenoteagaininthefirsttakemom. Ahem. When we return after getting the note we totally didn't forget, Rock says:

: Now that the Time Cuffs have been activated, let's rejoin the Vikings!

Row, row, row your boat~

: The Vikings are ready to set sail, but we still need to catch a stowaway! Take a look at Carmen's note and remember the Time Cuffs!

Thanks, Rock. Let's check some flavor text here and see what Rock has to say about the chests on the knorr.

: This chest along the left edge of the ship is full of tunics, cloaks, furs and other clothing.

And the other chest next to it?

: When sailing or rowing, the Vikings slide these sturdy sea chests to the sides of the ship and use them as benches.

And the one on the far left?

: This chest, on the right-hand side of the ship, is full of supplies for the long voyage back to Greenland.

All right, what about the oar?

: Knorr ships like this one generally used about 20 oars, but big long-ships, built for war, had as many as 80. Talk about having a lot of pull!

And how about the rope?

: Vikings used tarred rope to seal the seas between a ship's wooden planks. A little tacky, maybe, but effective!

And the steerboard?

: That's the steering board, used by the helmsman to steer the ship!

All right, and the shield on the ship?

: This old shield has certainly seen some action! It's full of spear and arrow holes!

Must. Not. Make. Dirty. Joke. And the sail?

: The Vikings used a single, square sail to harness the wind.

We can also ask Rock a question. Hey Rock!

: I'm all ears!

What now, Rock?

: Time's up for our elusive thief! Let's decipher Carmen's note to home in on a hiding spot!

Oh right! Well, let's crack open the Chronopedia.

So, the note mentioned starboard and the Chronopedia has the fun fact there about where the word comes from. Starboard means the right-hand of the ship and we already got a hint by looking at our flavor text at the chest on our left side of the screen. We've also touched on the steerboard. That must be our answer!

: Of course! Our thieving rascal is hiding behind the steerboard to starboard!

(Video)

Rock shows off why he's called Rock Solid...

And he gives the most satisfied smile. Look at that smile!

We're sucked back in the Void with our thief and if he smells as bad as Leif says, we should hold our breath!

: C'mon Baron. We got a nice bare cell ready for you at ACME headquarters.

: You may have got me, but you'll never wipe away the Baron's gleaming grin.

Bye bye Baron. Fun fact, this guy doesn't even have a wiki article on the Carmen Sandiego Wiki. Image search had me looking at Rupert Grint because his name is Baron Grinnit. Let's check on the Chief! Hi Chief!

: Looking good Time Scout! I must say those Vikings have nothing on you in the toughness department.

Aw, thanks Chief.

And of course, Rock has to one up us by giving Chief the grapes. Wait...does this mean I get to keep my BATTLEAXE?!

: Oh, Thanks Rock! You restored Viking history and thanks to you, Leif Erikson will make it back to Europe to spread the word about the new world!

Yeah...but I get to keep the Battle Axe, right? :(

Suddenly, a wild Carmen Sandiego appears! Quick, get a pokeball. Or um...Time Cuffs! Yeah!

: Well, Time Scout, you're quite the opponent.

Well, I'm guess I'm honored but you kind of leave the trail for me. Rhyming scraps and all. All the answers in a big ol' Encyclopedia. I digress, though.

: You apprehended the Baron, but there's no way you'll foil my next foray. It's already underway! Ta-ta.

Oh No! And she's gone. At least that's some high praise from a notorious thief.

: Sounds like the time crime wave is continuing. There's another history mystery to be solved straight ahead. Are you ready to take on the case?

No, I think I'm going to take a break and mourn the loss of my poor, dear battleaxe. I used you on everything, but you were most useful on the tree stump that is my heart.

: Well thanks for your work so far. When you return, we'll continue the crime quest!

Thanks Chief....*sniff*

---

*Starred links are my favorite

Recommended Videos:

Crash Course on Vikings in General (<12mins)
Crash Course on Norse Pantheon (<12Mins)
Extra Credits on Vinland and Leif Erikson* (<11Mins)
Extra Credits on Yggdrasil (<7Mins)
Extra Credits on Lindisfarne and the start of the Viking Age (<6Mins)
History Matters on The Viking Age (10Mins)
Bedtime History on Vikings and Leif Erikson (<9Mins, Perfect for Kids)
Weird History on Life as a Viking (<12Mins)
The Infographics Show on Life of a Viking Warrior (<9Mins)
The Infographics Show on Why Vikings Were So Much Better at Fighting? (8Mins)
The Infographics Show on What Happened to the Vikings? (<7Mins)
TED-Ed on Viking Ships (<5mins)
TED-Ed on Viking Runestones (<5mins)
TED-Ed on the Norse Myth that inspired LOTR* (<5mins)
TED-Ed on Loki's Children* (<6mins)
TED-Ed on How Thor got his Hammer* (<5Mins)
TED-Ed on the myth of Loki and the Master Builder (<5Mins)
TED-Ed on the myth of Baldur and Loki's Deadly Mistletoe* (<6Mins)
TED-Ed on Thor's Journey to the Land of Giants* (<5Mins)
History with Hilbert on Greenland and Erik the Red (<7Mins)
History with Hilbert on Vinland and Leif Erikson (<14Mins)
History with Hilbert on Why the Vikings Didn't Colonize North America* (<15Mins
NatGeo Tell a Viking Tale Through Paper Art* (<5Mins)
BBC Northern Ireland on Vikings and their Thing* (<3mins)

Extra Credit:
Tasting History Makes Mead like a Viking (<18Mins, Culinary)
Tasting History Makes Roasted Heart and drinks aged Mead (<19Mins, Culinary)
Tasting History Makes Viking Blood Bread (<18Mins, Culinary)
That Works makes a Viking Spear (<27Mins, Shop Class)
Viking History Channel look at Runestones in Sweden (<15Mins, Field Trip)
Puppet History on Saint Olga of Kiev (<34Mins, Theatre)
Interpol - Leif Erikson (Music, this album is now 20 Years old. You're welcome.)

---

Mystery Three is complete! Well done, Time Scouts. I'm fairly certain I've gotten as much as I possibly could, but if there's something I missed, let me know and I'll get to it in a future video.

This mystery goes over the Viking Age, specifically Leif Erikson. The Vikings sagas and stories we have vary from people the Vikings raided and stories that were made about 100+ years after the time the subject is written about. So, with that, a lot of historical is questionable at best. What we do have is archaeology with runes and bones and all. What people get wrong about Vikings is that they were ONLY bloodthirsty warriors. They were more than that. Farmers, traders, sailors. Early pillages were in monasteries probably because they had GOLD. Lots of it too and monks aren't necessarily fighters. Norse Pantheon is also very interesting. It's more than the Marvel Thor really brings a grand scale of that universe. The fact that our days of the week is derivative from the pantheon indicates how important Norse mythology was to the early Vikings before they switch to Christianity. The Runestones show a history that takes inspiration from the places they go and the families that have been built during this time is seen into the modern era. It's just goes to show what one thing seems pointless may at some point be seen in 1000 years as fascinating as I see it now.

Also, I found out Freya rides a chariot being pulled by cats. That's boss.

I've only personally known about Vikings and the history through my Norse Pagan friends (and Carmen Sandiego, obv.) and I've learned a lot finding these videos. It just goes to show that history can be written by both winners and losers. I do hope more solid historical sources can be found because the culture seems vastly interesting.

My Face When fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 1, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I love all the video links you're posting! I'm learning so much!

Shame about that axe though, would of really helped get the rest of the criminals. :black101:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I will miss the axe. :(

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pour out a mead in axe's honor. Rest in violence, friend :(

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Can I get a uhhh... boneless Ivar?

I've been helping my parents clean out their basement, and found this thing I had as a kid. I don't remember what it was part of, though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Alpha3KV posted:

I've been helping my parents clean out their basement, and found this thing I had as a kid. I don't remember what it was part of, though.

And Carmen San Diego is still out there. I hope you're happy with yourself

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Alpha3KV posted:

I've spent too much time trying to figure this out. I've been looking at products for "Where in the World" in the 90s, and something struck me as pretty unique.

A lot of the illustrations show her with a side profile and an upturned collar, making a clear attempt to hide her identity.

With this bag, she has her collar turned down. The only products I've seen with that illustration are, oddly enough, a 1993 card game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20433/where-world-carmen-sandiego-card-game

So the game could have come in a collectible bag when it was mail ordered, or something like that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And Carmen San Diego is still out there. I hope you're happy with yourself

They'll get her next time, gumshoe

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

At your behest, we're now heading west.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Starting to feel a little under the weather, so I'll record two missions and will get a mini post out of the way to go over what I missed in the Egypt involving the torch and a few other texts. I'm doing much better trying to find all of the little dialogue and texts so I hope it will cover everything.

For the next hint, I present to you a poem:

Big old moon, bright sky
Mirrors twinkle through seasons
Looking like smooth silk

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My Face When posted:

Starting to feel a little under the weather, so I'll record two missions and will get a mini post out of the way to go over what I missed in the Egypt involving the torch and a few other texts. I'm doing much better trying to find all of the little dialogue and texts so I hope it will cover everything.

For the next hint, I present to you a poem:

Big old moon, bright sky
Mirrors twinkle through seasons
Looking like smooth silk

it's rock's rear end

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

FAILURE RUN #2 - EGYPT INFERNO

So yes, I am definitely sick, so I won't do a video to show off this section. This will be another failure run (shoutout to Mateo360 and Zyxyz for keeping me on my toes with regards to this). Zyxyz mentioned we can mess with people using the lit torch so that's what I'm going to do. I am a fire sign, after all. We'll also get more dialogue I missed and hopefully that will take care of that until our next failure runs. Let's head to Ancient Egypt once more with our girl, Ann.

We missed some dialogue by following the directions given by the boatman. If you see the bag, you might think you're supposed to put the bag in your inventory instead of on the boat. If you do that, Ann will chip in with:

: Hold on now! We shouldn't move the boatman's sack until we have his go-ahead.

If you take the bag and try to put it in your inventory after getting the 'mission' from the boatman...

: Hey, wait a minute. The boatman asked us to move that bag onto the boat -- not keep it for ourselves!

If you try to put the bag in the Nile, the boatman speaks up.

: Hey, that won't float, put it directly on my boat.

If you try to grab the torch early Ann will simply say:

: Hmm. Those look like unlit torches.

If you offer the torch to Ann before putting it in your inventory, Ann says:

: Nice torch. Just drag it towards yourself and we'll take it along.

When you offer the torch to the boatman before putting it in your inventory, the boatman says:

: That's yours to keep. You never know when a trusty torch might come in handy.

If you put the torch on the Pyramids, Boatman says this:

: I'm impressed by your enthusiasm, but please don't torch the stonework.

If you try to move the unlit torch over the Nile, Ann will say:

: Nice try, but it doesn't work there.

After putting the bag on the boat, we can ask Ann a question. The bag is loaded safely on the boat. What next?

: Let's follow the boatman's advice and take his torch. Just drag it towards yourself and the Time Cuffs, and we'll have it for good.

That's a bold face lie, considering we never keep anything. Also, I find it interesting Ann didn't straight up say inventory. I'm curious behind the decision of using the vague 'towards yourself' instruction. Did they think kids wouldn't understand 'inventory'? Anyway, let's go to the next spot and light that torch.

If you use the lit torch on Queen Hatshepsut, she'll exclaim:

: Careful, or you'll singe my false beard! I need this ceremonial beard to prove I'm a pharaoh!

If you're getting sick of Ann and try to set her ablaze, she replies with a strange comment.

: A bright torch can shed a lot of light on a history mystery!

If you try to set the myrrh trees ablaze...

: Careful with that torch!

If you try and set Hatshepsut's temple ablaze...

: Trying to add central heating? We'd better let the temple stay cool!

And finally, if you try to put the lit torch on the lit torch stand...

: This isn't a fireworks display! Don't light a torch that's already lit!

That's it for this section, let's move on to the mummy room and see what other trouble we can cause for our head priest.

I love Ann's little thinking pose. She also has some questions we missed. Let's start with the first one. What's our main mission for Hatshepsut?

: Hatshepsut's husband needs a decent burial. We need to send the former pharaoh to the afterlife, in proper mummified form!

Who's the fellow with the jackal's head?

: Good question! Let's chat with that masked man and find out!

All right. Before you walk into the dark room or talk to the priest, you can put the torch on the body, if you do...

: Now, now. Please take that torch elsewhere.

If you try to give the torch to the priest before speaking to him or going into the dark room, he will say:

: Thank you, but there's plenty of light in here already. I can see just fine.

That's all we can do until we get the instructions, so let's head for the dark room.

We can ask Ann a question here. What's our mission for the head priest?

: He can't seem to manage finishing the mummy himself. He'll need our help figuring out the final mummification steps.

How can we see in the dark room? If you don't have the torch burning yet, she'll say:

: We need to shed some light into this investigation. Our torch would help, if it was burning. Let's backtrack find something to get it going.

If you do have it lit, she'll say:

: Maybe our burning torch will help. Try waving it around the room!

After you use the torch to get the clues you need, you can ask Ann, what were those drawings in the dark room?

: Those hierogylphs and symbols seemed to be all about mummy-making! I'll bet they can help us get Thutmose II ready for the afterlife!

When you return to the mummification room without getting the clues you need...

: That wasn't very enlightening.

: Parts of this tomb are as dark as the eternal night. You'll need a light.

But we got our clues...and our torch. Let's use it on the body again!

: Now, now. Please take that torch elsewhere.

That's right, it just repeats after this, which makes me sad. We go to the Thutmose's burial spot.

We can ask a question before and after we find the last note. Before we find the note, we can ask, where is the thief hiding?

: Let's find the final piece of Carmen's note. That should provide some clues.

And after we get the note...Any idea where the thief is hiding?

: It's time to catch our V.I.L.E. villain! Let's read Carmen's note to figure out where the thief is hiding. The Chronopedia can help us solve the riddle. Then use the Time Cuffs where you think the thief is hiding.

If you miss the mark on the where the thief is, Ann will say:

: Nobody there! Try again.

After that, that's it. The torch won't interact with anything else here, which is a bummer, but I think it will be fine. For the sake of completion, I went through the other two missions to see what Ivan and Rock say if you put the cuffs on the wrong spot.

I put the cuffs on the fountain and Ivan says:

: Nope. If the thief was in there, it would have a V.I.L.E. taste.

I then put the cuffs on the latrine and realized I was onto something.

: Whew! No whiff of a thief drifting out of there.

How about the tepidarium with Justinian?

: Hey, watch it! There's only little old me in this bath.

Let's assume Marius has the thief up his tunic.

: I'd be plumb silly to hide a thief. Use those bracelets elsewhere.

Back at Caesar's palace, let's try the cuffs on Hermes.

: No thief hiding behind Hermes. Bummer.

Then, on the gladiator...

: No thief behind that gladiator.

Let's try the Corinthian column on the left behind Ivan.

: Negative. No Crook behind that column.

He will then repeat this on the other two columns:

: No. Nothing.

So now, I'm wondering what our Bear of a Man Rock would say at our stupidity. You can unlock the time cuffs by doing Ivor's mission first. So let's use the cuffs EVERYWHERE. There appears to be nothing in Ivor's forge to use them on, but our boy Rock, who says:

: I'm big, but not big enough for the thief to hide behind.

And so I looked...and looked. And looked some more. Nothing on Vinland would trigger the Time Cuffs, but Rock. So, let's head for the boat. We start with the chests.

: Nope! No thief there.

And it would repeat for everything on the boat. Bummer. At least I tried to go around and see what I could see with Rocky.

With that, we finished this failure run. I hope you enjoyed it. Keep trying to figure out the next mission and I'll see you next time, gumshoes.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
All this interactive stuff. Back in my day, all we could do was move the pointer cursor over the character's faces so it looked like they were picking their noses.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cobalt-60 posted:

All this interactive stuff. Back in my day, all we could do was move the pointer cursor over the character's faces so it looked like they were picking their noses.

AND WE LOVED IT. AND MAYBE STILL DO

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Cobalt-60 posted:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

AND WE LOVED IT. AND MAYBE STILL DO

i don't know about you guys but half my time in LP threads is using my pointer cursor on avatars of other posters

some of them are a lot easier than others

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Phone posting here so excuse my typos.

Ive been working on the next post i would say im halfway done with the first part. There's a ton of backtracking and im trying to make sure i get as much as i can. Ill try and get a late post on it.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

(Video)

Welcome back Gumshoes to another wonderful adventure through History. Last time we helped Leif Erikson with his Thing, crushed on our boy Rock Solid, and mourned for what could have been with our battle axe. We're back in the wormhole so let's check in with the Chief. What's good, Chief?

: This tunnel only jumps ahead a dozen years to 1015, but you're going from the wilderness to high culture: The Kingdom of Japan during the Heian Era. Murasaki Shikibu should be writing the world's first novel by now, but her pages are blank. Go seek out the source of her writer's block.

Man, if I had some time traveler coming to help me with my writer's block it'd make everything so much better. Sure Chief, sounds easy enough anyway.

: I'll be sending along ACME's most artistically gifted Good Guide, Renee Santz. She has your Time Cuffs, your new Chronopedia chapter, and all the culture you could ask for. Hope you look good in a Kimono, Time Scout. Best of luck.

Well hellooooooo Ms. Santz. :quagmire: :heysexy: :swoon: Renee is basically a really chill character. Despite her coloring being a little gray, she still is my favorite Good Guide. She is the essence of laid back. The closest thing I can think of is a Modern Beatnik. She also has a great voice, and I was always in love with her. I wanted to be as cool as Renee Santz as a kid.

Anyway, let's go with Renee to Japan and see how we can help!

: My heart drifts aimlessly like the hours on a moonless night. I feel more sadness than I have for many seasons.

: What a syllabic slip-up! The Tale of Genji is supposed to be the world's first novel. We'd better track down what's troubling Murasaki and get her weaving wondrous words again.

We appear out of nowhere again in front of our victim, who doesn't seem to mind. Not that I mind of course. Would be a lot harder to solve mysteries in a Japanese jail, right? Let's go ahead and get started by asking Renee questions. Hiiiiii Reneeeeeee. :allears:

: I'm here to help!

Can you help me? I seem to have fallen hard over you....I mean, how can we help Murasaki?

: Maybe we should talk to her and find out.

Oh right. I guess we should do that, but I'm a bit distracted by all of this stuff in Murasaki's house. Let's check out the funky box with strings by Renee.

: No, it's not a funny guitar. That's a koto. I'll bet Murasaki can play some mean riffs on it!

I'm wondering if there's people out there that practice air koto now. Play the Free Bird solo. Let's see what the ladies have to say about the mirror next to Murasaki.

: As a smooth lake captures the moonlight in its soft ripples, so I happily catch the moon in my mirror. But tonight, the moon hides from me, and my mirror cannot find its silver face.

Hm. That's strangely...symbolic? Let's keep that in mind and move on to Murasaki's scrolls. What do you have to say Renee?

: Check this out! We're in Japan, but these scrolls were written in Chinese!

: Yes, I wrote those. It is difficult to believe, but Japanese women are not allowed to read and write in Chinese. I have to hide those scrolls, or they'll discover my secret talents!

Well, if it was that easy for us to find, maybe put them somewhere besides your bookcase? Anyway, there looks to be a random scrap of paper and Murasaki doesn't claim it, but guess who does!

: This is no ordinary scrap. It's a Carmen Note, which puts us a measure closer to an arrest.

Hm. Well, I suppose that could be anywhere at this point. Curtains. Bedsheets. Clothes. Anyway, let's go ahead and speak with Murasaki. Hello, Lady Murasaki.

: Hello. I'd say I am gladdened by your presence, if I was glad. If only I could work on my novel!

Oh man, that sucks. I understand those feels Murasaki. What's the matter?

: My spirts flutter aimlessly like the last leaves of Autumn. A thief has taken my book's first chapter and with it, a piece of my soul. I can continue my novel no longer.

Well, we certainly cannot let this stand. Is there some way we can help?

: Only the face of the full moon answers my inner questions. Can you bring it here to my room?

I don't Murasaki. The only person in this room I'm willing to bring the moon down for is Renee. I mean, moving the moon here could be tough. How should we do it?

: Perhaps if you study the other rooms close by, you find cause for reflection.

Well, that's...hm...poetic? Let's move on Murasaki. What is it you're trying to write?

: I was writing a novel. It's called "The Tale of Genji".

And...? What's "The Tale of Genji" about?

: My novel is a long romance about Prince Genji and his many adventures in Japanese court life. I believe it's a very important work.

I mean, it's hard to say now, but I love your optimism Murasaki. What's so special about "The Tale of Genji"?

: I'm trying a new literary style called a novel. It's not a light tale. I look deeply into the lives of the characters and question why they do what they do.

That's...very human. I can dig it. Murasaki, where are we now?

: We're close to Empress Shoshi's royal palace. I'm her lady-in-waiting.

...*snicker*....You're a lady-in-waiting?...*giggle*...What are you waiting for? Bwahahahaha.

: For a funnier joke, perhaps. A lady-in-waiting waits on the Empress. I bring her clothes in the morning, keep her company -- those sorts of things. It's easy work that allows me much time to write.

Well, I thought it was funny. We have an option to listen to her poems, but I think we've taken up enough of her time. She's told us to check out the other houses outside and we should probably head that way. However, let's do one thing before we do that. Hey Renee.

: Sock it to me!

Are you a pokemon? Because I sure would like to catch you. Kachow! Oh...nothing? Uh...How can we bring the moon to Murasaki?

: Let's explore outside and see what there is to see.

Oh right! Outside. Let's do that. Can't wait for a walk with Renee under the stars an--

: My friends, your curious clothing may cause a court scandal! Please feel free to try on one of my beautiful kimonos, in the closet, before departing.

Hey, I take pride in my paint-stained Sonic Youth t-shirt and jeans. You can barely see the mustard stain from my hot dog. Fine. Before we go in the closet, Murasaki adds:

: I store my colorful kimonos back there. You may try them on if you'd like to fit in.

I'm not the type to confirm with your ideals, but kimonos seem really nice. And maybe we get to see Renee in one.

As Renee says, we will need to choose the kimono robe and the sash to go with it. There are several designs on the back and different colors. There also seems to be a really dark area underneath the kimonos. What do you have to say about it Renee?

: Without a ray of moonlight in here, I can hardly see the floor! Maybe things'll brighten up later.

More hints. Even the clothes hook has a flavor text. What do you think of that, Renee?

: That kimono hook can help us get the right look.

Let's go over the different kimono flavor text. Let's start with the big bird there in white.

: Long beak and skinny legs -- that character's a crane. You should see its sleek white wings swoop elegantly into flight!

Let's do the yellow one with the trees.

: Those are maple leaves. Sweet!

All right, and the purple with the big ol' sun.

: Can you feel the burn? That's the sun!

:bernin: Then, the lilac one on the far left with the tree.

: Rose, white, and deeper hues, too. Those are cherry blossoms.

Finally the red one.

: You'll find these free spirits floating above the water's surface. They're water lilies.

Now to dress up Renee. I'm feeling the very bold red color here. So, let's give that to Renee.

: A beautiful jacket! Now hand me a colorful lining to go with it!

Well, I really like that yellow as well. I think Red and yellow complement each other really well. Let's give that to Renee.

Looking good, Renee. We can also ask her a quick question. Hey Renee!

Hey, I'm Microsoft. Can I crash at your place tonight?...nothing? *sigh* How can we explore the dark area below the kimonos?

: It's too dark to explore right now, but we might see more if we throw some light on the situation.

With that we head back to Murasaki's room, who's still in a mood.

: My quill quivers but not with novel inspiration. Without the moon, I am only idly scratching away.

I wish some guys were that poetic when they scratch their rear end. Let's move outside!

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance, Renee. Speaking of the moon, what else do you think about it Renee?

: That full moon is casting quite a moonbeam tonight. Out of this world!

That is a pretty direct moonbeam. Hmm. Well, we're supposed to check things out so let's do so. There are four different houses so we'll start with the closest one, the Spring House.

Looks pleasant enough. There's a guard at the door so let's talk to him really quick. Hello, Mr. Guard.

: Harumph!

Oh? Not much of a 'hello' person are you, friend? Can you tell us a bit about Japanese poetry?

: Japanese poetry often uses images of nature to express thoughts and feelings. Murasaki uses such images in both her poetry and her prose.

Interesting. I wonder if this guard knows about her Chinese writing? Is Japanese poetry fun?

: Japanese poetry has traditionally made great use of metaphor -- phrases that have double meanings, some of them definitely funny.

Hehe. I'm thinking some of it is a bit dirty. Naughty, naughty Japanese elites. We're looking for a thief. Seen anyone?

: I eat thieves for breakfast! But sadly, no one has stopped by for a meal.

Well that wasn't much help. Let's check out some flavor text. And the first thing I see is...

Everything comes full circle.

: When the bush warbler appears, the Japanese know the Spring's about to begin-- just like the robin in America!

There's something labeled 'leaves' above the Guard so let's check that.

: That's a Sweet Flag leaf, which protects boys from evil spirits during our traditional "Boys' Day" celebration here in Japan.

: Japan got wise, and changed Boys' Day to Children's Day. They realized that it's only fair for both boys and girls to have their share!

That's neat. There's a big tree on that divider, let's see what Renee says.

: Cherry Blossom time is the big Spring Event in Japan. Beneath the trees, people watch the slow dance of unfolding cherry tree blossoms.

Lastly, there's a mirror but if you click on it...

: Begone! That awful kimono doesn't fit here at all.

Oh yikes. How rude. Fine. With nothing else we can do, let's leave the Spring House.

: Do come again.

...after that?! Pfft. So we're back outside. There's three other houses to check out. Let's try the Winter House.

This place seems really chill. Let's see if this Guard is in a better mood. How are you doing, Mr. Guard?

: What do you want here?

Well, we just have a couple of questions for you. Have you seen a note-carrying thief?

: Why, yes, and she stumbled over my kotatsu. And if hitting my heater wasn't enough, she also tossed this litter on the ground!

Oh, what? A Carmen note?! Radical!

: That C-Note means we're right on track.

Hm...Worm's Cocoon. Zodiac. Still a little vague here. We can speak to our new Guard friend again.

: You're back for another frosty reception, I see!

Will you tell us if you see the thief again?

: Of course, I'm an imperial guard, right? I'll ice any intruders!

I mean, you didn't get them the first time, but okay. I trust you, bud. Hey...did you make those great curtains?

: Why, yes! I wanted to study interior design, but father insisted on guard school. Now there was a man with no fashion sense.

Aw. You did a great job, Winter House guard. I wonder if he did the rest of the houses or just this one? The Spring House was pretty stylish too. Speaking of interior design, we have flavor text to find. Let's check out the big mountain on the divider.

: Mt. Fuji's no pile of rock to the Japanese. It's a sacred mountain, celebrated in paintings and verse.

Indeed! What about that weird hole in the floor, Renee?

: The Japanese called this a kotatsu. We'd call it a heater. You sit at a table and toast your toes over a hole filled with smoldering coals. Don't get a hot-foot!

: When the wind beckons, I wrap this table above the kotatsu with a quilt, and hold a cozy pocket of heat inside.

Hot-foot over frost bite? I'll take it. What about the teapot above the kotatsu?

: It's green tea. Delicious! Mmmm.

Does sound perfect on a cold night. Lastly, let's check the big bird on the divider.

: Cranes like to spend the winter in Japan. The weather here fits the bill.

Ba-dum-tiss. There is another mirror here, but the same animation from before will happen and Winter Guard will say:

: My blood runs cold! Your jacket and lining don't fit my room at all.

Oh, so it seems that our friend is being picky about our clothes. How interesting. With nothing else to do, let's head back out.

: Stay warm!

Will do. At least he's nice about it. Let's move on to the next house, Autumn.

This one isn't as decorated as the other two, but there is a guard to speak to. Let's see what he has to say. Good evening, Mr. Guard.

: Mmph!

...okay then. Not a man of many words it seems, so let's just ask. Why is there a rabbit in that picture of the moon?

: Our folklore tells about a magic rabbit who lives in the moon. The Man-in-the-Moon put him there for being the kindest of the animals.

That's nice of Andy Kaufman. What does the rabbit do up on the moon?

: Some folktales say that he bakes rice cakes for us to eat. Others say he grinds the jade elixir, a source of eternal life. He's certainly industrious!

Wait a minute...Rabbits...Moon. Where have I heard of this before...?

It's probably nothing. Mr. Guard, have you seen a thief sneak by?

: Of course not! I'm a professional! I'd be in big trouble if I let a mere thief slip by.

Alright, fair enough. With that out of the way, let's check out the flavor text of this room. Renee, do you have anything to say about the moon on the divider.

: In Japan, the harvest moon meant "let's party!" That's because the rice and other crops were ready to harvest.

When it's time to party, we will party hard. What about the trees on the divider?

: The leaves on these maple trees make like chameleons in the fall, and change their colors.

And of course, if we try to touch the mirror...

: You think that mismatched getup will get you inside? Guess again!

Pfft. I think Renee and I look great. Well, with that complete, we can head back out.

: So long. Don't fall out of touch!

A pleasant goodbye, but it seems odd that we can't get into these houses to touch those mirrors. What does it mean? Hm. Well, we have one more house to investigate and that's the Summer House.

Renee, I must be a corn kernel because you're making me POP. Ahem. Anyway. This is a nice, lovely room. Let's talk to the guard and see what he has to say. Mr. Guard?

: Yes?

Hm. Neutral enough, let's start by asking him about his weapon. That's some sword! Can you tell me something about?

: This proud sword is part of the imperial regalia handed down for centuries from one Japanese emperor to the next. In a sense, I'm holding Japan's shining history right here in my hand!

Oooh. That seems really interesting for someone like me. May we try out your sword?

: Not without proper preparation! The way of the sword trains the mind while teaching combat skills. Without careful study, you'll poke your eye out!

Oh man. First, the battle axe and now a sword? Why can't I just slay my enemies?! Hmph. Why is this place called the Summer House?

: Perhaps because of my red-hot disposition. If you can't stand the heat, try another room!

Easy buddy, just asking questions. Have you seen a thief lurking about?

: No. Things around here have been as dull as a hot summer day.

Hm. Alright. Well, since we're here, let's get the flavor text out of the way. What do you think about the clouds on the divider, Renee?

: Those are rain clouds. The rainy season in Japan lasts from June through July, and nobody's dry by the time it ends!

Interesting. What about what's on the floating in the water on the divider?

: Those dreamy blooms are water lilies.

Hey, just like the back of our kimono. There's nothing else to touch here, besides the mirror, but I'm going to hold off on that. Let's head back out for now.

: Stay cool.

With that, I think we'll take a break. I'll let you gumshoes figure out how we're supposed to bring the moon to Murasaki's room. There is more dialogue and of course, a sneaky thief to catch. Until next time, Time Scouts!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Do we have to wear a certain kimono for each house?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Possibly. :)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Reading this has inspired me to go and work on getting a virtual machine working just so I can play this game

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

If you need some help on getting it up and running, PM me and I'll tell you how I got it working.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Blue lining and water lily kimono for summer house. Point the mirror at the autumn house

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I remember playing this from when I was young. Happy to see a LP of it!

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

The weekend sort of caught up with me so I will be working on the post tonight. Apologizes for the wait.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
God, is this a nostalgia trip! I must have played and replayed this game over a dozen times when I was a kid! I actually ended up using some of what I learned in this game on history quizzes, which was pretty handy at the time. You had to admire the work they put in to be as historically accurate as possible. I do recall getting stuck a couple of times during early playthroughs, though we haven't reached them yet.

You're doing a great job, and thanks for LPing this!

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Welcome back Gumshoes. Last time, we were told to bring the moon to Murasaki's room, put on a kimono, and learned about Japanese culture through the 'seasons' by Imperial guards. You've had more than enough time to figure out what we need to do and a few of you had some good ideas. Let's start by going back to Murasaki's house.

You'll notice Renee is not in the kimono I picked for her. This is the point where I said we would hold off on talking about the poems. There's actually two ways you can ask about the poems. You can ask Murasaki directly in the questions when speaking with her, or you can click on the poems next to Murasaki. When you do the latter, Renee will say:

: These poems here seem to be written about the Japanese seasons. Murasaki, can you read a few?

: What poem is your pleasure?

If you ask her from the questions, like this, Please read us a poem, Murasaki.

: My pleasure. Which one would you like to hear?

However you do it, you will then get the following:

These are the poems she offers. Let's go ahead and go down and start with the first one, Summer.

:

Rain softly fingers
Our bright summer kimonos
Wrapped over yellow.

Perfect. The next one is Autumn.

:

The harvest moon's hearth
Warms our autumn kimonos
Splendid over green.

Elegant. Next is Winter.

:

Beneath Mt. Fuji
Our winter kimonos drift
Over brilliant red.

Cool. And finally, Spring.

:

Paddling our frail boats
We drape our spring kimonos
Gently over blue.

Okay. So, each have a color in the poem so let's get them down.

Summer: Yellow
Autumn: Green
Winter: Red
Spring: Blue

If you forget, that's okay. The poems can be re-read for you. Next, let's head into the kimono closet and check out the backs of the kimonos again.

Now, let's recall what each of the season houses had on the dividers. Summer had storms and waterlilies. Autumn had the rabbit moon and the maple trees. Winter had Mt. Fuji and the stork. Spring had the river and cherry blossoms. Let's write it down below.

Summer: Waterlilies
Autumn: Maple Trees
Winter: Stork
Spring: Cherry Blossoms.

Awesome. So, let's attach the colors above with the colors of the main kimono with the images we just wrote down.

Summer: Red jacket with yellow sash.
Autumn: Yellow jacket with green sash.
Winter: White jacket with red sash.
Spring: Lilac jacket with blue sash.

Those are our answers on how we can get into each of the houses. The red and yellow I've had Renee in was the correct outfit for the Summer house.

When you walk in, the guard will say:

: Bravo. Those hot threads set this place on fire!

If you got it all wrong, our friend here will say:

: A curse on that kimono! Does not blend with my decor at all.

Of course, if the outfit is only half right, say you have the right jacket but the wrong sash, the guard will say:

: That kimono halfway fits the bill. But it needs a little tuning, still.

But we're smart. So smart we already had the correct dress. Now, we can adjust the mirror.

It'll take two mouse clicks but once the light goes to the next house, we can move on from here. While we're at it, let's try our luck with Renee again and ask her a couple of questions.

Is your mom a chicken, because you're egg-cellent. Hehe. Uh...still? Ugh. If we get at least one mirror working, we can ask How can we get the moon to Murasaki?

: Yeah, the mirrors might do the trick. A silver face can bounce that moonlight back to Murasaki's place.

When you go to a guard who won't let you in because of your clothes, we can ask Renee Why won't the guard let us through?

: My foreign attire has raised his ire. I'll need an outfit that better suits this place. Maybe we can find tips in Murasaki's room.

When you're outside of the houses, after being rejected to enter the house, you can ask Renee, why would that last guard not let us adjust his mirror?

: My kimono didn't suit his sense of seasonality. Say now, didn't Murasaki's poems say something about the seasons?

It did, Renee and luckily for us, we're top-notch Time Scouts. Let's move on to the next houses. While there, I'll show off the half-right statements from each of the guards, but the mirror animations aren't really worth the gif images since it's just the same as above. Next is Autumn House which we remember is the Yellow Jacket and Green Lining. If we go in with one of the colors wrong, Autumn Guard will say:

: Half your outfit fits my domain, but the other half gives me pain!

With the right clothing, the guard will say:

: What an eyeful! Your kimono colors seems most suitable for my room.

We adjust the mirror to the left, toward the Winter house next. Let's head there. If you only have one of the colors correct, our chilly friend will say:

: Part of that outfit doesn't blend, friend.

But of course, we got the White Jacket and Red Lining to match the decor.

: Nice outfit you have there. A stylish match for my cool room.

And two clicks makes the mirror adjust to the right to the Spring house. Let's move on over there and if you only have the outfit halfway right, the guard will say:

: So so, those clothes. You need to transform that kimono, at least a bit.

But we know it's the lilac jacket with the blue lining that matches here.

: Beautiful! Your fine kimono flourishes here like the first buds of spring.

And with the last adjustments to the spring mirror, the moonlight...

should head directly into Murasaki's Room...

: Just part of our job description. Ooh, what a little moonlight can do! This little moonbeam seems to have cast new light on the case.

If you try to speak to Murasaki now that she's a writing fiend, she'll say:

: Idle words scatter like brittle leaves. With the moon lighting my path, I can't pause for chatter. I must spin stories of the highest order!

We can, of course, ask Renee questions. Such as, Have you seen the final Carmen Note anywhere around?

: I think Murasaki's closet contains more than just her clothing.

She has a point. Now that the moonlight is in Murasaki's room, it's gone through the crack of the closet door. It might have lightened up that dark area in the closet. Before we head in there, let me gather up some dialogue I didn't showcase. Murasaki has one more moody dialogue we missed:

: My heart is a dark well, even more so than usual.

The original emo kid. Next, Renee has some cute dialogue when she changes into clothes.

: If I ever get tired of ACME detective work, I could be a super-model!

You'd do well, Renee.

: Smart and sassy. And just my size.

Wait...were you talking about me?

: But--does it match my eyes?

:allears:

: But--what will my mother think?

Don't worry Renee. I'm a diplomatic lady.

: Hey that's hot! But, will it start a trend?

In several countries in the USA, our love is...oh...wait...you're not...ahem. Anyway, with that out of the way, let's see how the closet is looking.

Illuminating! And even better, there's a Carmen note. Let's pick that up.

: High five! Let's see how these puzzle pieces harmonize!

All right, let's think about this. Fabric, Worm's Cocoon...Zodiac...short whiskers and naked tail. I think we're getting closer to where we need to go but we might need to check out the Chronopedia.

: With Carmen's note in one tell-tale piece, I'll activate the Time Cuffs.

Before we read the Chronopedia, there's one bit of flavor text and it involves the characters on the drawers. Renee, you got any insight?

: Those characters are Hiragana, the letters that make up the Japanese written language. I think this writing says something about an animal!

Good hint, Renee! With that out of the way, let's check that Chronopedia.

All right, let's take a moment to go over the note. The fabric makes me think we're in the right area. Worm's Cocoon is the silkworms that make the silk of the kimonos. So yes, confirmation that we are in the right spot. Zodiac, we have the list in the last page of the Chronopedia, so we need to figure out what has short whiskers and a naked tail. There's only four that have definite whiskers: Rat, Tiger, Hare and Dog. So, with the naked tail, that eliminates the Tiger, Hare, and Dog. It leaves the Rat. Next is that Renee mentions that the drawers are written out in Hiragana. So, using the Chronopedia, we can pinpoint the Hiragana character for Rat and find it on the drawer! We're so smart!

If you're not so smart and put the Cuffs on something other than what we're looking for, Renee will chip in:

: We're out of the loop! No thief in this coop!

But again, we're super smart and put our cuffs in the right drawer, the one right under the Maple Tree Jacket.

(VIDEO)

Renee becomes a boss and dives in for the catch.

: Medeva's the last evil diva who'll ever darken these doorways!

With Medeva in hand, we're sucked back to our friendly Wormhole.

: Its back to ACME Headquarters for you Medeva for a long spell in solitary.

: Don't think you'll keep me under wraps for long, Agents. I still got a few tricks up my sleeve. Huh!

And with that, Medeva is gone. Let's check in with the Chief! Hey Chief!

: Terrific tracking, Time Scout. The world's first novel is well under its way to publication. Thanks to you, Medeva's in a cell and Murasaki is moonlighting her way to history.

Yay! History!

: Because of you, the novel will become the world's favorite literary form. Readers around the world thank you!

I'm sure I'll get an accolade from Chuck Tingle.

: You're doing excellent work and now's your chance to do more of the same. Another case is coming up fast. Will you take it on?

You know, Chief. I've been rejected of two weapons now and I think Renee may be heading to HR to complain about my bad pick-up lines. I think I'm going to take a break.

: Fine. You certainly deserve a rest. Come back soon, though. Crime waits for no one!

And so, give me a moment to apologize to Renee and we can start on our look at the history of Murasaki and Heian Period Japan.

---

Recommended Videos:

*Starred Links are my favorites!

Crash Course on the Heian Period* (<14Mins)
The Historian's Craft on the Heian Period (<15Mins)
The Nomadic Professor on the Heian Period* (<11Mins)
Religion for Breakfast on Buddhism and Shintoism (<11Mins)
Cogito on Buddhism (<20Mins)
Cogito on Shintoism (<23Mins)
Linfamy on The Heian Period* (<7mins)
Linfamy on The Heian Court* (<8mins)
Ryan Schultz, Ohio State, on Heian Lit and Japanese Court Women (<17Mins)
Little Art Talks on Early Heian Period Art and Art History (<16Mins)
Little Art Talks on Middle and Late Heian Period Art and Art History* (<24Mins)
Fiction Beast on The Tale of Genji Summary and Analysis (<11Mins)
Fiction Beast on 10 Unique Things about The Tale of Genji (<14Mins)
CUNY TV/Ancient Art Links on The Tale of Genji (Part 1)* (<7Mins)
CUNY TV/Ancient Art Links on The Tale of Genji (Part 2)* (<8mins)
Yamato Waki makes a manga sketch from their adaption of Tale of Genji (<3Mins)
Real History on the history of Japanese Poetry (<32Mins)
Hai and Ku, quick shorts teaching Haiku.* (<9Mins)
Begin Japanology on the Kimono* (28 Mins)
Cuoc Song Hang Ngay on Color meanings in Japan. (<5mins)
GTV Japan on Children's Day (<4mins)

*I also highly recommend watching the 1987 anime of the Tale of Genji. It's really fascinating and beautiful artwork. I don't think I'm allowed to link it here, unfortunately, but I would seek it out. PM me for assistance.*

Extra Credit:

Aoinoue Dance interpretation of The Tale of Genji (<14Mins, Theatre)
Crash Course Theater on Noh, Kyogen, and Atsumori (<13Mins, Theatre History)
Crash Course Theatre on Kabuki and Bunraku (<13Mins, Theatre History)
Q2 Japan on Japanese Hairstyle from Heian to Meiji (<13Mins, Cosmetology, Theatre, History)
Puppet History on The World's Greatest/Rudest Samurai* (<32Mins, Theatre/History)

---

As you all can imagine, this is my favorite of the early levels. It contains my favorite Good Guide, an interesting puzzle and a lot of culture that I probably wouldn't have gotten. This is more of a cultural history lesson than a military or diplomatic lesson and I feel Japanese Cultural history isn't as big in discussion, despite its clear involvement how writing changed and how Japanese history blends with Chinese culture. Again, another testament of how strong and adaptable history is.

My Face When fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 15, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pretty neat level. I still prefer Ghost of Tsushima when it comes to Japanese history in video games, but this was cool too.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

It must be close to two decades since I've played this game, if not more, and I'm still surprised by how many of these settings I can vividly remember. Keep up the great LP!

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

achtungnight posted:

Pretty neat level. I still prefer Ghost of Tsushima when it comes to Japanese history in video games, but this was cool too.

I didnt get a chance to play it since it was a PlayStation exclusive but heard great things about it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope VILE has good health insurance as hiding in a drawer has got to be hell on someones back

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope VILE has good health insurance as hiding in a drawer has got to be hell on someones back

This won't be the most cramped place we find V.I.L.E. agents hiding.

Fun fact: In her original incarnation, in Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (the 1985 version), Carmen was noted to have been a former spy for the Intelligence Service of Monaco.
This backstory was abandoned early in the series.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I appreciate that The Chief is encouraging of the players to take a break and rest between cases. So many games tried to guilt players into staying ("Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.") , that seeing The Chief do the opposite is yet another reason why Carmen Sandiego is awesome.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
And that takes care of another henchman who in the show. It is a nice puzzle for this level.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Since we are all here and ive already recorded the next mission, here's your hint.

Just think of a Norman variety.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still a mission behind, but I wanted to point out something from the Viking mission.

They called their gathering a Thing. However, we still use a similar term. Republic.

It's only fitting that it came right after the Roman episode. Republic comes from Res Publica. The public thing.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Ill be starting on the next post tomorrow. Depending on how long it is and how i want to show it off, i might have a post up by the evening.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So what do you think the next level is? Norman can mean William the Conqueror, D-Day, maybe even the War of the Roses.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Remember that the time tunnel can only jump ahead a dozen years or so, at least right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

My Face When posted:

Remember that the time tunnel can only jump ahead a dozen years or so, at least right now.

I'm...pretty sure that's not true. There's a huge gap between 50 BCE (Julius) and 1002 (Leif Erikson), and also between 1490 BCE (Hatshepsut) and 50 BCE. A better way to think of things is that we're still in the early game and going in chronological order, so the earliest one is probably the most accurate.