Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Paladinus posted:

Apropos of nothing, the legendary Fisiel advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJuJoiVwXw

gotta reuse all the leftover costumes from мама somehow i guess

Bright Bart posted:

What language are you coming from?

The official 'closeness' of the languages doesn't really translate to how mutually intelligible they are. I hear Czech and, no offense, it sounds like a grown Czech person is trying to immitate how a young Polish child would speak. Slovak is apparently more intelligible with Polish but I haven't been exposed enough to confirm. Ukranian actually makes some sense to me, but not when it's a lady at the bus stop when I ask where the 59 bus is headed; even though I know she's either giving directions or simply saying she doesn't know I can't even distinguish between the two possibilities if they speak too fast, let alone grasp the full details. Russian on the other hand sounds like they're actually using about 50% of the vocabulary as us. But I also understand zero of the rest so I'll get the gist but none of the detail.

As for the Slavic intonation, I'll readily admit that Polish sounds generally Slavic if that's a thing. That's not really something to argue against.

But I am adament that when a Polish man speak English they sound nothing like a Ukranian or Russian or Serb doing it, even if they're at the same level of English. It's not a Slavic accent. I don't have much evidence to back this up to convince anyone, except that I have some insider information that when actors in films play a Polish character speaking English they'll be asked to imitate a Russian accent, try to sound generally more "Eastern European", or sometimes speak in a way that makes them sound vaguely like a vampire from Transylvania. Because apparently otherwise the audience will be confused.

english having learned russian and then spent a lot of time looking at polish, belarusian, and ukrainian (with some occasional south or east slavic languages or even lithuanian thrown in for fun)

you get a feel for how orthography evolved or reformed around similar things after a while, and can understand the gist of something based on roots. spoken language is usually much harder, since it changes more quickly than orthography. the connection between "silni w sojuszu" and "сильные в союзе" (idk what the proper translation there is, the cases don't quite align but close enough) or "od 25 lat" and "от 25 лет" isn't that hard to make if you understand how vowel and consonant shifts happen, so you can pick those out

other things are quite different, like the lexical difference between "razem" and "вместе", though i can still look at the former and intuit "something "raz"-ish and make a bit more sense out of it looking at how various "raz"-adjacent words are formed in polish versus how russian might use "раз" in other contexts. synthetic languages are fun!

the speech thing i wasn't talking about english accents. there's a very particular, similar register of speech used for voiceovers in adverts that's similar across slavic languages. idk why, but it exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My thought on hearing Russian gangsters in Cyberpunk: "oh no, they use the same kind of diction as people in dubious quality detectives my mom likes to watch!"... like there is definitely some sort of cultural conventions involved in these sorts of things.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Bright Bart posted:

But I am adament that when a Polish man speak English they sound nothing like a Ukranian or Russian or Serb doing it, even if they're at the same level of English. It's not a Slavic accent. I don't have much evidence to back this up to convince anyone, except that I have some insider information that when actors in films play a Polish character speaking English they'll be asked to imitate a Russian accent, try to sound generally more "Eastern European", or sometimes speak in a way that makes them sound vaguely like a vampire from Transylvania. Because apparently otherwise the audience will be confused.

Polish, Czech and Slovak, being Western Slavic languages, are odd ducks.

quote:

I hear Czech and, no offense, it sounds like a grown Czech person is trying to immitate how a young Polish child would speak.

I love how Czech word for loudspeaker is the same as Polish word for breeder. (reproduktor)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
as far as russian/east european accents in american popular media, hey, cmon! we've been improving! there were plenty of actual russians in The Americans and Chernobyl took the "they just need to sound _some sort of foreign_ so everyone's british" angle. sadly i cannot find the one wonderful "beep. beep. beeeeeeeeeeeeeep" scene between costa ronin and vera cherny

Szarrukin posted:

Polish, Czech and Slovak, being Western Slavic languages, are odd ducks.

iirc from my long long ago historical linguistics project about differentiation between east, west, and south slavic languages re the fall of the jers, there's actually a weird "east, west, south, and whatever the gently caress polish is doing distinction, where usually dropped vowels resolve via some change to pitch, stress, or length, but polish just discards everything, and then has further fun with german (with maybe some borrowed french bits because it's ~fashionable~) orthographic influence

in other news, ramzan's maybe dead again, an event that's expected to result in all sorts of fun

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3423e469-31a6-4db5-b357-d56d05bec5f8?shareToken=824e424b066ec8f44fea0c91b7d6590e

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/2024/04/25/heirs-and-spares-en

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

"east, west, south, and whatever the gently caress polish is doing distinction, where usually dropped vowels resolve

Eastern Europe: east slavs, west slavs, south slavs and whatever the gently caress Poland is doing

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

some goon posted:

The dnd eastern europe thread is so loving vile lmao

The gently caress did we do now, is it the accents chat or strange TV ads? :confused: Guess them uppity slavs having a place to chat is really pissing off some people on SA.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Mokotow posted:

The gently caress did we do now, is it the accents chat or strange TV ads? :confused: Guess them uppity slavs having a place to chat is really pissing off some people on SA.

its stuff like this

Bright Bart posted:

re: Sending people back to be unwilling conscripts

I don't look down on those who fled. It's human. But I also don't think it's enough to say they shouldn't be sent back if it would even the odds even a little bit.

Am I being a hypocrite for saying this? I don't know what I would do in their place. I admit that. But I can't argue that I should be allowed to run if the situation came to that, even if I'd find myself trying anything in my power to avoid the front lines.

The Soviet Union isn't the only example of using conscripts. Some of the countries that today have the highest standard of living and best human rights records (at least in modern times) do it. Others make it very clear that you will be forced to fight if there is ever an invasion.

There are so many facets to this but in general I think it's more of an issue of practicality than ethical dilemmas.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mokotow posted:

You dared to assert your right to live in the Real Politik scene rather than walking into the gas chambers like they would prefer you to.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Bright Bart posted:

English speaker here, I know a bunch of words in Polish but I don't speak it, been living in Poland for over a decade. I speak from experience when I say that the Polish accent (in english at least) is incredibly hard to place, if I were constructing a stage accent for polish I'm not even sure where I'd start.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

English speaker here, I know a bunch of words in Polish but I don't speak it, been living in Poland for over a decade. I speak from experience when I say that the Polish accent (in english at least) is incredibly hard to place, if I were constructing a stage accent for polish I'm not even sure where I'd start.

I’m trying to think of a Polish actor speaking English in a movie and Olbrychski’s role in Salt came to mind, but he was a playing an old soviet agent.

Anyhow, there’s a bunch if people on YouTube and I think this guy sounds like 85% of Poles speaking English: https://youtu.be/JS0aWS7uSzQ?si=JvrDrrf_V-g1BZ-c

It’s a bit more rounded and nasal, I want to say? Russian accent is very sharp and hard by comparison, using layman’s terms.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

I’m trying to think of a Polish actor speaking English in a movie and Olbrychski’s role in Salt came to mind, but he was a playing an old soviet agent.

Anyhow, there’s a bunch if people on YouTube and I think this guy sounds like 85% of Poles speaking English: https://youtu.be/JS0aWS7uSzQ?si=JvrDrrf_V-g1BZ-c

It’s a bit more rounded and nasal, I want to say? Russian accent is very sharp and hard by comparison, using layman’s terms.

Yeah that video sure sounds like most Poles I talk to. I think the biggest difference with the more Russian-style accents is that Poles can do a normal 'l'.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Mokotow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4S5gE3hL2U

It's exaggerated but pretty spot on

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I did used to buy weed from a guy in Warsaw who was Polish but 100% spoke like a russian gangster in a movie, no idea if it was put-on or natural- he was also a decently known rapper so it might have been part of his persona. No idea.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Please tell me it was Tede

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mokotow posted:

I think the big difference is the emphasis. The polish accent is fairly flat, whereas Russian tries to put the emphasisis the middle of words.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Haystack posted:

I think the big difference is the emphasis. The polish accent is fairly flat, whereas Russian tries to put the emphasisis the middle of words.

Huh, proper English stress is pretty easy to pick up in my experience, though. (Unlike the full range of sounds).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's all about vowel quality (Polish basically doesn't have the neutral schwa sound, while Russian does) and 'default' softness/hardness of consonants (especially L, but also stuff like secondary palatalisation, when a consonant becomes soft before another soft consonant).

The emphasis also plays into it, but because everyday English vocabulary words tend to be one-two syllables long, it doesn't actually come up as much. A Polish speaker would be more likely to stress 'a' in 'emphasis', for example even if it's a word they commonly use, while a Russian speaker would have less trouble adapting to stressing the first syllable in longer words. This also applies to some extent to sentence stress.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
According to my wife, polish accent is when you pronounce ⟨ʌ⟩ as ⟨ʊ⟩, and every of your sentences is in a rising register.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Mokotow posted:

Ko im jebe mater

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm just wondering if this is due to an actual bad take (e.g. Russophiles being mad we don't pay homage, while at the same time being Slavophobes), based on not having read the thread at all (e.g. the name Eastern Europe making the person think it must be full of homophobic chauvanists), or something outright bizarre (I am a BYOB poster for the most part and when we sent our Holiday card to the other forums one year a former mod had a breakdown saying BYOB is full of sexist, homophobic, transphobic, neoliberal alt-right trolls who only pretend to be nice, and how seeing the letters BYOB in *their* forum is a trigger; you might think being on a comedy forum this might pass for a joke but they got really worked up about it while people who knew them had to try to calm them down).

That last was sad to see on the one hand but oddly super flattering that we're so nice someone might never think it's genuine and that we must be alt-right trolls in reality.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 29, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Certain parts of the forum being pissed at you is a good thing

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They are mad at you daring to exist.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The most generous interpretation I can come up with is that the poster presumes we're all Brits or from the US poking fun of backwards eastern Europe, like a D&D version of the GBS threads about China, EE etc. etc. were.

If that's the case, thank you for defending the dignity of CEE, kind friend.

Antigravitas posted:

They are mad at you daring to exist.

Hold on, are you sure we *aren't* vile scum?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 29, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Heck no, I loathe Eastern Europe too much to not be from there.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Bright Bart posted:

The most generous interpretation I can come up with is that the poster presumes we're all Brits or from the US poking fun of backwards eastern Europe, like a D&D version of the GBS threads about China, EE etc. etc. were.

I searched the text, you nailed it, they think everyone posting in here is from the USA -- just like them.

It's projection.

Caveat: Canadian expat living in Denmark here, so interested in events just to the east.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

I searched the text, you nailed it, they think everyone posting in here is from the USA -- just like them.

It's projection.

Caveat: Canadian expat living in Denmark here, so interested in events just to the east.

Yep, this is it. Classic Freud!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Americans complaining that there are Americans on the American forum, especially in the one thread where there are not that many Americans (which is bad, there should be more Americans to make sue the non-Americans don't do ideological crimes)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm getting an ice cream headache

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uh, what:
https://twitter.com/donaldtusk/status/1784883814080106906#m

Something about what's apparently the Polish oil company and Hezbollah?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently there are concerns that Orlen was using a Swiss subsidiary to circumvent sanctions? Though Hezbollah seems like a really bizarre connection

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Orlen opened a Swiss subsidiary for oil trading. Orlen's CEO hired a dude from Lebanon to run the company. During the vetting process, both Orlen's internal security and Polish intelligence rang alarm bells that the CEO has ties to Hezbollah and that due to no oversight, the company may be used for illegal oil trading on international markets. Still, they went ahead with everything and it seems that Orlen has indeed participated in trading embargoed oil and also managed to lose 370 milion EUR to a Hong Kong intermediary company owned by a 26-year old. :nallears:

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 29, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm not saying Hezbollah aren't involved. But I take it with a grain of salt when a politician, any politician, namedrops organizations like this. They often do it when the real party involved is not as well known to voters, or at least doesn't get people riled up as much. It's like sex to them.

Wildfires in California? Could it be the work of lone arsonists? No. Definitely BLM.

A bridge collapses in England? Structural fault? Nope. Clearly ISIS. Working with the woke mob.

Or going back a couple of decades, Iraq is controlled by the Ba'ath party? Let's just call it Al Quaeda and be done for the day; people already know who those guys are.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, the Hezbollah thing seems like its used to play the whole thing up. They haven't actually said anything more concrete, other than the fact he was "suspected". The worst part is the Swiss Orlen CEO guys was under investigation for VAT fraud in Poland starting in 2013, though it's unclear when exactly this investigation was started.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/polands-tusk-calls-prosecutor-over-potential-orlen-scandal-2024-04-29/

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bright Bart posted:

Hold on, are you sure we *aren't* vile scum?

Everyone from eastern europe is a secret nazi, have you forgotten?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

managed to lose 370 milion EUR to a Hong Kong intermediary company owned by a 26-year old. :nallears:

I read a tiny bit about this a while back but don't know if there were any details beyond what you just said, maybe the dude's name, and maybe how he did it.

But I'm seriously wondering how he conned a large corporation into this. Was he one of those highly charismatic sociopaths that can convince people of anything even while those removed from the situation and haven't met them consider them sleezy? (That happened in a few high profile cases from recent years in the US.) Did he fake it until he made it, using the absurdity of being a multi-millionaire CEO at 26 to convince people hey this kid must know what he's doing?

Did he promised Orlen to quadruple their investment via Bitcoin?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 29, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What I can suss out is there was a window last year when Venezuelan oil was not embargoed and Orlen decided to use intermediaries to secure some of it with unsecured prepayments. There's no mention how they'd look for these intermediaries, and I think this is the crux of the whole Swiss Orlen thing, but most of them turned out to be bogus and the prepayments were lost. I don't think this was some Frank Abigail type charismatic guy, but rather an organized money syphoning op, probably conducted by the Orlen Switzerland CEO. To add insult to injury, Orlen also booked oil tankers to pick up the Venezuelan oil, and while the delivery never materialized, the tankers were anchored ready and waiting outside Venezuela, generating anchoring and rental costs to the tune of 30 mil USD.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Don't forget that we're talking about people who during Covid decided to secure broken respirators from a weapons dealer blacklisted by the UN.

This administration wasn't exactly a stranger to running shady deals.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

lol the news article linked mentioned that Orlen dude claims Tusk is only going after him since he's going to run in the next elections.

Because of course he is. Because all of these clowns become politicians for some inane reason rather than retiring permanently to a tropical island. (The reason, without being an armchair psychologist, I'm assuming is that they're addicted to power.)

They say that being a CEO is a job for life. Even if you screws up massively again and again you'll keep getting chances as the top man or woman Because, alledgedly, the pool of qualified executive really is that small.

Being a corruption CEO is a job for life as well. You might not get another shot. But you can make a nice living with book deals and the speaker circuit as long as the court sentence doesn't explicitly prevent you from using your past crimes for your future profit in this way.

It's also seemingly all too easy to parlay being a corruption business person into becoming a politician. If you push the right buttons the fact that you stole millions doesn't matter. Because LGBTQ+ and abortions on the one hand. Or that at least they're not a homophobe right winger on the other. This applies even of the money you stole was from taxpayers. And even if you claim to be a small government conservative.

I think it was Rick Scott in Florida who was likely responsible for millions upon millions of Medicare fraud on his watch as CEO of a healthcare management organization. At the time he claimed he was a figurehead who played golf all day and had zero idea what was going on even at board meeting since he didn't attend them. Years later, he turns around and when running for office claims that he turned that HMO into a profitable powerhouse all thanks to him. He became governor. He's still in some office to this day.

Finally, it's par for the course for these people to claim that evidence of their wrongdoing is evidence of persecution by political enemies. It might actually score them points overall with the base. And to be fair in many countries, unfortunately, being a private citizen being accused of "corruption" *is* a hint that the government is trying to stiffle opposition. In any semi-stable democracy that's less so the case.

Good night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s not even that Obajtek was a CEO - he was the mayor of Pcim, a city literally synonymous in Polish with the middle of nowhere forgotten town. He had his fair share of shady deals, but this was all local low level stuff. Obajtek was then under investigation and tapes were leaked of him conducting local business, where it’s clear this he is a crashed and repaired car imported from Germany salesman type of person - just literally kurwa and gówno every second word.

PiS basically needs an army of CEOs for government owned companies. While they get huge salaries, it’s also expected they all kick back a percentage to the party HQ, hire family members who also kick some money back to the party and use their company’s marketing funds to funnel towards PiS-friendly media and organizations. The actual business skill required is nil, and you could say Obajtek lucked into Orlen, though I think it’s dawning on him he might have been less a chosen one and more a fall guy, the way things are looking.