Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is the place to talk about Eastern Europe - anything debatable or discussable, unless:

• You want to talk about Ukraine vs Russia conflict - go here;
  • You have an important opinion as a US taxpayer that your senator should do something - there's 75 USPol threads in this forum, just go find some. Alternatively, you may also post your grievances here.

To clarify, talking about Russia and Ukraine is fine. What you must not talk about here is the military conflict between the two countries.

Speaking in your local Eastern European is fine, given appropriate conversation.

Foreigners, a significant number of thread regulars are locals from various bits and bobs of Eastern Europe, so if you see Egyptian, please, just ask for translation, instead of expecting it, or otherwise moaning about not speaking Church Slavonic in the year of our lord 2022.

To give you a rough idea of where Eastern Europe is, red is Eastern Europe, green is honorary Eastern Europe, and pink is brother and sister regions.

Previous thread can be found here.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Oh, seems like I broke the old thread. I'll just repost myself then...

In Budapest, about 2500 protestors gathered to defend freedom of speech in... Finland? :crossarms: Yes actually, the Finnish Christian Democratic MP and former interior minister Päivi Räsänen has been at court today in Helsinki facing accusations of incitement against homosexuals. Defense claims she was just citing the Bible and therefore this falls within religious freedom but the prosecutor claims that as a political authority she should think of other ways of addressing sexual minorities than painting them as immoral degenerates.

She has received support from a bunch of US senators, too. If she's found guilty and charged with fines, then whoopee, maybe USA will call us the den of evil or something Soros related and send Marines to liberate us! :dance:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Picking up on last thread 🇭🇺 chat

One of the most fascinating EE things for me is the Finland-Estonia-Hungary connection. They share a language group but Hungary is ten million km away from both Estonia and Finland. I guess it kinda makes sense they’d get involved into each other’s poo poo at some point.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Are you SURE Mongolia isn't in Eastern Europe?

Should at least be honorary, given the status of Finland.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I agree Mongolia should have an honorary membership in the EU, though I’ve just had a read and it seems the claims of however-many-percent of Europeans being descended from Genghis is myth (even though some 16 million people in Asia could be).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_Genghis_Khan

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Czechia not in EE? People in Grozny will be upset

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^^ oh for gently caress’s sake, that I must fix

endlessmonotony posted:

Paint budget is not a condom.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

endlessmonotony posted:

In the same vein, Portugal being honorary Eastern Europe due to various socioeconomic metrics is a Reddit meme I've noticed. I'll reserve judgement on whether it's true until I get a chance to visit.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Dwesa posted:

Czechia not in EE? People in Grozny will be upset

I will not stand for this! :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Czechia is coming home.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the second-angriest i've ever seen a polish person get is when i accidentally called poland eastern european instead of central. the angriest is when he started complaining about immigration and "krakowstan" and i asked him to say the shahada with me

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
How is Mongolia's conversion from Cyrillic going anyway?
Also, half of Estonia being honorary Nordic? Good map.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Czechia is coming home.

Svalbard is, at least in part, also in Eastern Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arktikugol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OddObserver posted:

How is Mongolia's conversion from Cyrillic going anyway?

quote:

In March 2020, the Mongolian government announced plans to use both Cyrillic and the traditional Mongolian script in official documents by 2025.

switching to native script has gotta be absolutely daunting, mostly due to what i assume is little to no digitization

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Svalbard is, at least in part, also in Eastern Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arktikugol

The invisible line later turns to the left. :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, most of Czechia is there on the map. And who gives a poo poo about Aš anyway.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bringing back bigos chat lost in the last thread, because I’ll be drat if I let a good food post go to waste.

quote:

In the pots warmed the bigos; mere words cannot tell
Of its wondrous taste, colour and marvellous smell.
One can hear the words buzz, and the rhymes ebb and flow,
But its content no city digestion can know.
To appreciate the Lithuanian folksong and folk food,
You need health, live on land, and be back from the wood.
Without these, still a dish of no mediocre worth
Is bigos, made from legumes, best grown in the earth;
Pickled cabbage comes foremost, and properly chopped,
Which itself, is the saying, will in one's mouth hop;
In the boiler enclosed, with its moist bosom shields
Choicest morsels of meat raised on greenest of fields;
Then it simmers, till fire has extracted each drop
Of live juice, and the liquid boils over the top,
And the heady aroma wafts gently afar.
Now the bigos is ready. With triple hurrah
Charge the huntsmen, spoon-armed, the hot vessel to raid,
Brass thunders and smoke belches, like camphor to fade,
Only in depths of cauldrons, there still writhes there later
Steam, as if from a dormant volcano's deep crater.

What Mickiewicz, strangely, fails to note is that bigos absolutely needs to stand for two or three days before you have at it.

In a restaurant, you’ll find it under Bigos Myśliwski (Hunter’s Bigos) which an old commie joke would describe as “saurekraut on plate, meat in the forrest”.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What about Portugal

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe if Estado Novo was communist…

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I consider it a personal failing that I could never learn to like bigos. It looked disgusting as a kid, and that stuck with me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think it’s absolutely normal - it smells like a motherfucker, doesn’t taste in any way interesting when you’re a kid and the pinnacle of your cravings is anything smothered in ketchup and, I will agree, looks like barf poo poo.

Having said that, a proper one with good meats and real sour bread is amazing and I hadn’t had it in ages and I miss it. Can’t think where I could buy a proper one though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Bigos needs a careful balance of taste: let it sit for too long and it gets to sour, not enough and it has no character.

I was totally sure next Thursday is Fat Thursday, and now I'll need to get some Pączki.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Mokotow posted:

I agree Mongolia should have an honorary membership in the EU, though I’ve just had a read and it seems the claims of however-many-percent of Europeans being descended from Genghis is myth (even though some 16 million people in Asia could be).
2 practical problems getting in the way of that. Russia and China. Mongolia is lucky she has been independent for as long as she has been.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Could someone recommend a good book about the Baltics, and the then Russian areas that would later become Poland from the 1800's up to the First World War? History, politics, culture, everything. I have read quite a bit about the Russian Empire and it's actions then but not really about these parts. Weren't the Baltic German nobility still around? How did Estonian, Latvian and Lithuaninan languages fare under the Russian rule?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Budzilla posted:

2 practical problems getting in the way of that. Russia and China. Mongolia is lucky she has been independent for as long as she has been.

You could say Mongolia hasn't been fully sovereign until the fall of USSR, so not long. Since then it has drifted closer to China economically, but position between two nuclear states could mean that neither one will dare assert too much control over the country. And having a neutral buffer between them is just good for their mutual relations, given the past...

I think we could still work out a membership in the Nordic Council as long as their reps are willing to speak Swedish.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

Could someone recommend a good book about the Baltics, and the then Russian areas that would later become Poland from the 1800's up to the First World War? History, politics, culture, everything. I have read quite a bit about the Russian Empire and it's actions then but not really about these parts. Weren't the Baltic German nobility still around? How did Estonian, Latvian and Lithuaninan languages fare under the Russian rule?

I’ll skip my literature recommendations, since chances are you don’t read Latvian. Apologies.

Speaking of our language, it was preserved mostly in spoken form until 1850, when serfdom got abolished. That marked renaissance of Latvian language and the beginning of Latvian literature.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’ll skip my literature recommendations, since chances are you don’t read Latvian. Apologies.

Speaking of our language, it was preserved mostly in spoken form until 1850, when serfdom got abolished. That marked renaissance of Latvian language and the beginning of Latvian literature.

Yea, Finnish or English only, sadly.

And that literacy thing is interesting. I remember reader and article about Ukraine I think (but I might misremember) at that time when the Russian authorities banned printing books in Ukrainian but re-printing old ones were allowed. People supposedly kept printing all sorts of stuff and insisting they were repringts of a particular innocent poetry books. Supposedly to this day no-one knows all the things that got printed under that one title. From Marx to mathematics books, supposedly everything.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You can't prove that it was ever spoken before that! You guys just invented it whole cloth to confuse everyone :colbert:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mokotow posted:

(even though some 16 million people in Asia could be).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_Genghis_Khan

Pet peeve, the 16 million number means something completely different than what people generally take it to mean. Assuming that the hypthesis is correct and that the haplogroup in question comes from Genghis, it would mean that there are 16 million men living in Asia who are direct male-line descendants from him. That is, for such a person the father of their father of their father ... of their father was Genghis. This is a much smaller group than the total of all his descendants, which also includes women, and men descended from women who descended from Genghis. Statistically, having 16M direct male line descendants means that the total amount of all your descendants is likely > 2 billion.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just realized I know very little about the history of Mongolia’s statehood 🤔

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

You can't prove that it was ever spoken before that! You guys just invented it whole cloth to confuse everyone :colbert:

We have written records from Baltic-German nobles and clergy, that help assess the state of Latvian language before then. Stuff from 1850 (some hardcore existentialism) is what you get hit with by like the 7th grade literature class.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I always felt Polish was super young, coming into common use around the XVI century, but 1850… drat, that’s recent.

Is there a Latvian national epic?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

I always felt Polish was super young, coming into common use around the XVI century, but 1850… drat, that’s recent.

Is there a Latvian national epic?

Yes, Lāčplēsis. Twitter version: Bear kemonomimi born to Russian rapist bear and Latvian mother goes on Eurotrip. It was written in 1870s and 1880s.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Erm, is “the Bear Slayer” a ham fisted analogy? He’s slaying Russians, I mean?

Edit: hm, seems actual bears do get shredded
Edit2: There’s a lot of beef with Christians

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Erm, is “the Bear Slayer” a ham fisted analogy? He’s slaying Russians, I mean?

Edit: hm, seems actual bears do get shredded
Edit2: There’s a lot of beef with Christians

Yeah, it doesn't concern itself with Russians at all as written - some people have tried to force bear=Russia connection into the interpretation of it, however. Hence, I called that the "twitter version". In reality, it's a story about serfdom and the Crusades, and the closest the story has ever got to Russia is a specific rock opera interpretation of it.

And "-plēsis" means "tearer", as in tearing a newspaper into two halves. The name stems from him grabbing his dad by the jaws and ripping him apart by pushing them open too far.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Slovenia completely covered by the line, as it should be

no talking about vladivostok tho

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Listen he tried twice ok????????

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm surprised there's no honorary EE nations in Central and South America.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Whenever I read or hear about stuff in Argentina, I get strong EE vibes. But then there’s so much more there that makes it anything but 🤷‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of Latin America, are you folks getting their restaurants in your places? There has been a clear uptick of Argentinian and Brazilian food in steakhouses in Riga.