Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mr. Apollo posted:

Do you remember what it was called? I grew up around there and still live in the area.

I grew up on Willowridge, Eglinton and Martin Grove. Went to MCI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mawarannahr posted:

However, I am legally required to acknowledge this as the greatest bread in Easternmost Europe

ahem

WE HAVE TO GO EASTERNERMOSTERMORE

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Give me the most eastern bread you have

No, that’s too eastern

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
what's the consensus on lavaš?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

advanced statsman posted:

Bad floor material

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mokotow posted:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The bread I've had in Bulgaria hasn't been anything to write home about, but the prevalence of rice in their cuisine more than makes up for any shortcomings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

No, that’s too eastern

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Haystack posted:

The bread I've had in Bulgaria hasn't been anything to write home about, but the prevalence of rice in their cuisine more than makes up for any shortcomings.

Much like the blood-brain barrier, Bulgaria is the border between rice and potatoes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

No, that’s too eastern
Aren't those technically dumplings?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

I grew up on Willowridge, Eglinton and Martin Grove. Went to MCI.
I also went to MCI 92-97 and a good friend of mine also grew up on Willowridge. I was in the last class to graduate from the Etobicoke Board of Education before amalgamation. My sisters both went to Richview CI.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
How can there be three PC goons in the EE thread and none are from Mississauga?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I also went to MCI 92-97 and a good friend of mine also grew up on Willowridge. I was in the last class to graduate from the Etobicoke Board of Education before amalgamation. My sisters both went to Richview CI.

82 Willowridge.

9: Salgo
10: Anderson
11: Connolly
12: Butkovich
13: Schultz

Yeah you'd think the huge Polish cluster in Misissauga would toss up goons. Or Roncy. My friends the Czarnotas for example are Mississauga poles

Sister went to Kipling

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 7, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Crossposting from the TVIV Foundation thread

I was surprised to find they’re filming the next season starting next week in my hometown Warsaw in Poland. They’ll do a week of filming at the Divine Providence Temple , which is a huge modernist concrete building we affectionately call “the juice squeezer”. They’ll also do filming at the POLIN Jewish museum which has some fantastic Foundation-style interiors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Divine_Providence?wprov=sfti1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POLIN_Museum_of_the_History_of_Polish_Jews?wprov=sfti1

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

82 Willowridge.

9: Salgo
10: Anderson
11: Connolly
12: Butkovich
13: Schultz

Yeah you'd think the huge Polish cluster in Misissauga would toss up goons. Or Roncy. My friends the Czarnotas for example are Mississauga poles

Sister went to Kipling
I think my friend lived at 63 Willowridge. He's also EE, his parents are from Romania.

I'm trying to remember my homeroom teachers.

9: Sutherland
10: Salgo (I think)
11: Patterson
12; Don't remember
13: Kirkwood

I had Anderson for grade 12 algebra and geometry.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 7, 2024

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Crossposting from the TVIV Foundation thread

I was surprised to find they’re filming the next season starting next week in my hometown Warsaw in Poland. They’ll do a week of filming at the Divine Providence Temple , which is a huge modernist concrete building we affectionately call “the juice squeezer”. They’ll also do filming at the POLIN Jewish museum which has some fantastic Foundation-style interiors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Divine_Providence?wprov=sfti1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POLIN_Museum_of_the_History_of_Polish_Jews?wprov=sfti1

I guess we're back at brutalism being futuristic?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had Anderson for grade 12 algebra and geometry.

Creepy fucker. Used to try to stare down girls shirts.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I can't doxx myself any further than I just did with the French bakery location but I went to one of the CIs and it was a real good time and while I can't compare to other schools it seemed like an excellent education.* More than a handful of the teachers had doctorates. And I was told a few times that going to RCI/ECI/MCI is basically getting free private school. Which I also can't speak to but plenty of very wealthy people sent their kids there, including kids who had attended private school before moving into the area. And so many people tried to lie about their address to get their kids in, having friends pick up the letters they send to try to catch people doing it, or even paying for the service. So many. I was one of these kids and rode the bus 40 minutes to school with several others.

*Absolute best part other than the education and connections you make at a CI is that at least one person in your friend group will live in a mansion and has parents who let them have parties there

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 7, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In less pleasant news, yesterday was a presidential elections day in Slovakia and Peter Pellegrini won. For context, he is pretty much fully in pocket of Robert Fico, even if he arguably really doesn't want to be. So our corrupt, anti-western, pro-russian and deeply conservative coalition (with actual nazis being a part of it) now has full control over basically all major governmental institutions in Slovakia and will probably receive no pushback going forward (outside of passionate, but so far pretty ineffectual protests). Great :confuoot:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

:(

I just don't get it. How does a country look at progress made over the last decades and decide they want to align themselves with a country where living standards keep falling, and doing so by electing a guy they well may have personally demonstrated on the street to kick out for corruption last time around?

Every explanation I have heard, from Slovakians feeling alienated by the woke West, disliking Ukranians, worried about a war and thinking Russia would win, or just being frustrated and wanting change has its limitations. The Guardian suggested it's a revival of Pan-Slavicism (which is how Russia explicitly took the Fico win) and people forgetting that CEE Pan-Slavicism was also explicitly about banding together against Russian military and cultural hegemony.

I'm guessing it's the perception of economic trouble and people always presuming that the further right you are the better for the economy?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It's hungary mark 2. Lot of smart young people have left for better opportunities elsewhere, and the result is lot of, uhm, specific, people as the main voting block.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the fact that the previous government they voted for (which explicitly stood against Fico and his brand of "social democracy") turned out to be bugfuck insane so they went back to the devil they knew.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Love it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

There's also the fact that the previous government they voted for (which explicitly stood against Fico and his brand of "social democracy") turned out to be bugfuck insane so they went back to the devil they knew.

Yeah, the general trends of Eastern European countries slowly sliding into conservative hellhole still apply, but specifically for Slovakia, the previous government is easily the main culprit. They were a pro-western and anti-Fico coalition that was only united in how much they hate Fico and noone, probably not even themselves, really expected they get into power. But one huge scandal later, they suddenly were in power and they quickly realized that not only do they all have completely different political goals they don't know how to execute (including a pretty big segment that went "Fico became super rich by being a corrupt PoS, gently caress it, lets do the same for as long as we can!", unfortunetely those people had no issues with not knowing what to do :v:), but that they hate each other only marginally less than they hate Fico. They would be objectively a pretty horrible government even during a peaceful and prosperous period, but they had to immediately deal with the Covid epidemics, the war in Ukraine and the resulting economic crises. And to say that they completely dropped the ball in the majority of those cases would be putting it lightly. Noone did more for Fico's return to power than them.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Well shiiit.

But there's a lot of countries that alternate between two or three parties as they try and fail to govern as people want them to, hoping party X has learned a thing or two since last time. Or being taken in by the same tricks X used last time to get elected in the first place. This isn't that. Slovakia is like if the communists from the 1980s came back to life in Poland with all the same people and with the same plan for the country and got elected. (I know a not entirely insignificant minority would like this.)

Although as I write this I realize that France may well elect the Vichy people and Germany has to deal with poorly disguised NSADP parties. And outside of Europe we have plenty of places electing the children of dictators vowing to continue their dad/mom's legacy. Plus that whole T issue in the US.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Which lavaß? Here georgian bread and ultra thin flat bread are both lavash.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Creepy fucker. Used to try to stare down girls shirts.
When I was at MCI, there was a rumor that he got a student pregnant and ended up marrying her.

My dad was also a teacher and happened to retire at the same time as Anderson and I met his wife at the retirement event that the TDSB held. I’m now pretty confident that the rumor was true.

Bright Bart posted:

*Absolute best part other than the education and connections you make at a CI is that at least one person in your friend group will live in a mansion and has parents who let them have parties there
That was definitely the case when my sisters went to RCI. It seemed like every other kid had a parent who who the president of a company. I remember one time for some “school spirit” event, one of the parents was the president of Sony Canada and donated a few TVs and stereo systems.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 7, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Well shiiit.

But there's a lot of countries that alternate between two or three parties as they try and fail to govern as people want them to, hoping party X has learned a thing or two since last time. Or being taken in by the same tricks X used last time to get elected in the first place. This isn't that. Slovakia is like if the communists from the 1980s came back to life in Poland with all the same people and with the same plan for the country and got elected. (I know a not entirely insignificant minority would like this.)

Although as I write this I realize that France may well elect the Vichy people and Germany has to deal with poorly disguised NSADP parties. And outside of Europe we have plenty of places electing the children of dictators vowing to continue their dad/mom's legacy. Plus that whole T issue in the US.

Finland has that revolving door "system" where the majority coalition often switches between right and left wing after an election. So last time around we had a coalition of all our left-wing parties PLUS our special Agrarian People's Party, so there were some wrenches in the gears every now and then, but the government wasn't a trashfire. Unfortunately, they also had to deal with COVID and then Putin's war, so major legislative efforts kind of got lost in being in constant crisis mode.

Now we have a coalition of the right-wingers*, and they're busy crushing unions and stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

*This may or may not be because the Special Agrarian Party didn't want to enter a left-wing coalition for the second time in a row, but this is maybe getting into the specifics too much

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The Finnish Centre Party first drove in their bourgeois government policies that the Centre's more left leaning supporters felt was too much. Then they went into social democrat led government and now their more right leaning supporters felt it was too much. Now they are hoping that during the four years in opposition, the right wing breakouts who fled to Cock and rear end will trickle back to them. So far none of that has realized itself, they seem to be quite happy at their new ultrafascist homes.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Bright Bart posted:

:(

I just don't get it. How does a country look at progress made over the last decades and decide they want to align themselves with a country where living standards keep falling, and doing so by electing a guy they well may have personally demonstrated on the street to kick out for corruption last time around?

Every explanation I have heard, from Slovakians feeling alienated by the woke West, disliking Ukranians, worried about a war and thinking Russia would win, or just being frustrated and wanting change has its limitations. The Guardian suggested it's a revival of Pan-Slavicism (which is how Russia explicitly took the Fico win) and people forgetting that CEE Pan-Slavicism was also explicitly about banding together against Russian military and cultural hegemony.

I'm guessing it's the perception of economic trouble and people always presuming that the further right you are the better for the economy?

I think expectations that Russia will win play a large part. In the beginning of the invasion it was all lololol look at Russian tanks blowing up, rofl look at Russian economy imploding, now let's hit them with more sanctions, more weapons, etc. Now it's looking dire for Ukrainians, Russia appears unscathed, and people wonder, were they (mainstream media and politicians) lying to us, or were they stupid? Either way, maybe we should give the Pro-Russian side a chance. Not because we want to live like in Russia but because we want the war to end and the Bear to go to sleep for a decade or two.

This is the feeling I'm starting to get in Croatia, which is very pro-Ukrainian due to similarities to the 1991 war in Croatia.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

haddedam posted:

Which lavaß? Here georgian bread and ultra thin flat bread are both lavash.

the lavaš I'm used to is usually folded and v flat, whereas the stuff sold as Georgian is thicker and normally called chačapuri (though I've also had wildly different things also called chačapuri)

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Thin lavash is amazing. Georgian bread is great too.

To.gove you undertanding why Georgian bread is also called lavash, I will say some old people plut sour cream, garlic and cheese on georgian bread and put it in the oven. they then call it "langos".

This is the cultural appropriation American high schoolers should be up in arms about.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The thing about Georgian and Aremian bakeries is that some use the traditional oven (although most are electric I would presume that goes for Georgia itself) or just bread or pizza opens.

And you'd think that the traditional methods must be better but some of the best I've had is using the shortcut.

Then again I've never had bad Georgian bread using their version of a tandoor whereas I've had mediocore experiences with the metal bread opens.

It's also key with the metal ones to find out which bakery will warm them up for you by making them crispy in the over for a few minutes and which will throw them in the microwave and make them hot but soggy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the lavaš I'm used to is usually folded and v flat, whereas the stuff sold as Georgian is thicker and normally called chačapuri (though I've also had wildly different things also called chačapuri)

i thought that was specifically when you added cheese and maybe egg to it

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kind of miffed about EU regulations. I thought plastic straws were banned, yet here in Greece they throw them at you with every ice coffee. In Loland (not fixing that typo) we moved every petrol station miles away from the nearest building, again apparently due to EU regs, yet people seem to have them here in their living rooms almost. Speed cameras are supposed to be in yellow boxes everywhere, yet I haven’t seen a single one like this, though tbf this is also the case in Germany.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i thought that was specifically when you added cheese and maybe egg to it

That’s my understanding, but I’ve had a stuffed bread with cheese that was sold as chačapuri, no egg included

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
speed cameras should be secret

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Those are grownup countries who don't need to be told how to keep their air clean and roads safe. And they deserve a real straw after a hard day's work.

Haven't you ever told your toddler everybody needs to be in bed by eight, tucked them in and went to play video games until 2 AM?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

goblin week posted:

speed cameras should be secret

When I lived in Dusseldorf, they had a speed camera hidden in a little single axis trailer and they’d park it every day on the most unsuspecting little council roads between parked cars. Super nasty to get a face full of flash light at 7 am as you’re heading into work for doing 34 in a 30 km/h zone. BUT! I never went over 30 there again I don’t think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

what's up fellas? pis won another election, but... checks notes... lost it according to po.

Also the left! The glorious left has splayed itself on a silver platter with a big fork right in it's chest, vigorously knifing big slices away right into po's maw.