Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

goblin week posted:

speed cameras should be secret

Secret cameras are so beloved that tradies cutting them with buzzsaws have become common occurrences here and every camera now has an armored container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goblin week posted:

speed cameras should be secret

Yes, if you want to collect money rather than decrease the traffic speed in dangerous areas

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Nobody in Poland will ever not speed anyway, might as well get that bag.

Anyway Szczurek is out from president seat lmao

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The results seem to be exactly what they realistically should be? KO underdelivered after the first 100 days, 3rd Way made a lot of blunders and played no role and PiS managed to claw back some votes after they finally rallied. Szczurek was Gdynia’s president for 25 years, so was Majchrowski na Krakow I think. The biggest upset is Konfa getting a president somewhere.

Oskar Szafarowicz didn’t get a seat in Warsaw so that’s a win.

https://x.com/Szafarowicz2001/status/1777214105163559131

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 8, 2024

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

what's up fellas? pis won another election, but... checks notes... lost it according to po.

Also the left! The glorious left has splayed itself on a silver platter with a big fork right in it's chest, vigorously knifing big slices away right into po's maw.

PiS won so hard they lost the majority in 4 out of 9 voivodeships (out of 17 total) they had power in before the elections.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes, if you want to collect money rather than decrease the traffic speed in dangerous areas

One could also improve the highway infrastructure to reduce the accidents but oops, if you don't live within the daily commute distance of the capital your concerns are invalid.

At least that's how it goes here in Finland. 150+ km from Helsinki the highway infrastructure turns aggressively 1980's unless its a single-digit highway.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

advanced statsman posted:

That’s my understanding, but I’ve had a stuffed bread with cheese that was sold as chačapuri, no egg included

yeah there are a bunch of different sorts from different regions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khachapuri#Types

Adjarian is the one with the egg boat people outside typically know; Imeretian is the popular one that's just stuffed with cheese

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I think the latter is just sold as Imeruli here after the cheese inside.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Der Kyhe posted:

One could also improve the highway infrastructure to reduce the accidents but oops, if you don't live within the daily commute distance of the capital your concerns are invalid.

At least that's how it goes here in Finland. 150+ km from Helsinki the highway infrastructure turns aggressively 1980's unless its a single-digit highway.

Same in Tallinn: unless you live in commie block area or city center you are second rate as you don't vote for the unironically corrupt party running the city.
Public transit takes over an hour to do what car does in 20 mins.
Solution: ban cars.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

haddedam posted:

Same in Tallinn: unless you live in commie block area or city center you are second rate as you don't vote for the unironically corrupt party running the city.
Public transit takes over an hour to do what car does in 20 mins.
Solution: ban cars.

This, but unironically. Riga does the opposite. As job creators live in the suburbs, it's all about making sure car commutes are unimpeded and all the only transportation issues microdistricts actually need solving is the lack of parking. Only modern day Sharikovs want walkable cities and only out of envy, not actual need.

Anyway, that reminds me.

Rail Baltica sounds increasingly problematic, if not hosed, at least the Latvian part of it. There was some talk that it might actually have to bypass Riga or change the route to a cheaper alternative, because there the ambitious loop to the airport will vastly overrun cost projections. A planned BRT line has already been cancelled to divert funds there, but that's a drop in the bucket, as the project is short at least 3 billion by now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

a podcast for cats posted:

This, but unironically. Riga does the opposite. As job creators live in the suburbs, it's all about making sure car commutes are unimpeded and all the only transportation issues microdistricts actually need solving is the lack of parking. Only modern day Sharikovs want walkable cities and only out of envy, not actual need.

Anyway, that reminds me.

Rail Baltica sounds increasingly problematic, if not hosed, at least the Latvian part of it. There was some talk that it might actually have to bypass Riga or change the route to a cheaper alternative, because there the ambitious loop to the airport will vastly overrun cost projections. A planned BRT line has already been cancelled to divert funds there, but that's a drop in the bucket, as the project is short at least 3 billion by now.

To be fair, splurging on literally everything else except for the one thing that was actually needed is extremely Latvian behavior

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

I never got the rail baltica bitching.
We have direct rail lines to russia but nobody wants to go there, on the other hand it's great for cargo.
However if I could use trains to go to europe and rest of balts I'd do it often. Especially If the train also transports cars cause it's hell driving to biekerniki in a racecar.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://x.com/warlockracy/status/1777620098242523432

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BC%D1%83%D1%82%D0%B0_(%D0%B8%D0%B3%D1%80%D0%B0)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I clicked through a stream of the game, and it's a worse Kingdom Come.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Poland should develop their own version of occupation of russia, but make it good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

I clicked through a stream of the game, and it's a worse Kingdom Come.
Quite an achievement considering that game's take on history. But hey, I guess everything is bigger in Russia.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I can’t come up with many games where you get to murder Poles. Polanie, Franko, and, comedy option, The Witcher.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mokotow posted:

I can’t come up with many games where you get to murder Poles. Polanie, Franko, and, comedy option, The Witcher.

Uh, Hearts of Iron?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Gonna create an arbitrary rule and say strategy and simulators don’t count

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Afterfall Insanity, a pretty crappy game but the visual design was kinda interesting.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Hellish Quart

Thaumaturge, even though so far I've been murdering Ochrana goons. I should be able to murder some Praga thieves soon.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

Afterfall Insanity, a pretty crappy game but the visual design was kinda interesting.

Holy poo poo, you brought some memories. My roommate was a volunteer on that game’s early development, before it morphed into a commercial product. I lost track of it and didn’t know it ever made it to market. My friend managed to eek out a career in QA eventually so I guess some good came out of it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

:hmmyes:

quote:

Thaumaturge, even though so far I've been murdering Ochrana goons. I should be able to murder some Praga thieves soon.

Huh, looks neat! 11bit is based on Brzeska so if they have Praga goons in their game, they don’t have to look far for inspiration.

(Though, AFAIK, there’s like just a few bad dudes left on Brzeska and Zabkowska and they’ll all be bought out in a year or two)

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 9, 2024

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Mokotow posted:

:hmmyes:

Huh, looks neat! 11bit is based on Brzeska so if they have Praga goons in their game, they don’t have to look far for inspiration.

(Though, AFAIK, there’s like just a few bad dudes left on Brzeska and Zabkowska and they’ll all be bought out in a year or two)

I wish they had local language option, instead of English have Russians speak either some backwater hick Russian-Georgian mix, Tzarists speak official, and Praga Goons use this.

And of course posh Varsovians should go all Ą Ę

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
On that note, has anyone played Last Train Home? It's meant to be an Czechoslovak armoured train management game set during the Russian Civil war.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

alex314 posted:

> professionally touch things

im surprised to see someone make a game adaptation of The Kukotsky Enigma

okay, that's a bit of a stretch and nobody else read that book, but it was the first thing that came to mind

a podcast for cats posted:

On that note, has anyone played Last Train Home? It's meant to be an Czechoslovak armoured train management game set during the Russian Civil war.

i watched someone stream it; they enjoyed it. the levels of czech nationalism are a bit comical, but it's apparently a solid sorta-XCOM-y base management + tactics game

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I finally found my rye flakes. At the mall of all places.

Lady at the register told me they don't have them, which is what I heard from every store so far. But as I'm leaving the manager stops me and asks how much I need. One kilo? Two kilograms? More?

I said lets start with one and if the product is good we'll look at a bigger buy next time. She says she needs to make a phone call and goes into the back room. A minute later she comes out and tells me there'll be 2 kg in case I change my mind and even if I don't it's good stuff so she expects I'll come right back for more. I ask what day is the delivery day and she said it's nothing like that because these don't get sent with the normal deliveries. I ask if I pay now and she said no this transaction doesn't go through the till 'because the barcodes on them are faulty and they don't scan' so I should bring cash.

Now the chances that this is something sketchy, like her running a side business while working for the chain health-food store, are low. And if she's doing the equivalent of dropshipping, collecting orders and then buying from the online retailers that normally charge 30 zł for shipping (which is why I'm avoiding them), she's doing a bad job of it: the price she gave me was less than the online retailers.

But it did feel like a drug deal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Catcher of the Forbidden Rye

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wear gloves; you're about to take receipt of 2 kg of pure fent.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Fent in Poland? Mefedron is more likely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This sounds sketchy, but on the other hand, it would be quite mental if there were really some underground rye flake business. Keep us posted!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

alex314 posted:

Fent in Poland? Mefedron is more likely.

mephedrone is still around in poland?

...that does maybe explain what happened to the early 2010s RC vendor outta there that mostly went dark. shine on, lab story.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Bright Bart posted:

But it did feel like a drug deal.

That's exactly how I always feel at the small coffee roaster. It's a one man operation and if it weren't for the weights involved you'd think it was hard drugs. "Oh, the Brazilian is really good this year" *strokes beard* "Sounds good, I'll take 500g. I don't have a container with me, can I get a bag?" …

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In Albania today and every town, village and city has a dude banging on a drum by the side of the road. Is this some sort of an occasion or is Albania really into street drums?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mokotow posted:

In Albania today and every town, village and city has a dude banging on a drum by the side of the road. Is this some sort of an occasion or is Albania really into street drums?

It's Eid al fitr maybe it's that

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, I think it is that!

As expected, Albania turned out to be probably the least visibly muslim country I’ve been to with a majority muslim population. The drummers were everywhere up north, in the poor mountains wedged against Macedonia and Greece. Even there, mosques are few and far between. Tirana and surroundings seem almost secular, and then the number of mosques gors up dramatically as you near the Montenegrin border and cross it. Strangely enough, the valleys around Podgorica and Bar are very muslim, while the cities are absolutely dominated by christian churches.

Not wanting to be negative, I won’t say much about Albania. It’s best to drive through as fast as possible, but specially through Tirana, where we became involved in a bizarre three car chase the moment we entered the city highway. I imagine it’s an amazing place if you want to travel off the beaten path, especially in the east. The Accursed Mountain, known also as Albanian Alps, look insane even from far away and seem to deserve the name.

It was a bit of a relief to get to Montenegro, only to find that Bar on the coast looks much less like Yugoslavia and much more like Russia. The street markings, buildings, road signs, not to mention every 5th car actually being from Russia, drive that impressions home. You can also see that Russians have invested a lot in the last few years into the coastal properties - I’m in a small town now outside Bar in a Russian-owned hotel tower, with 5 more around in various stages of completion.

The biggest surprise so far is how much the EU and Germany in particular are investing here - all Albanian border crossings, for example, have been built by Germany, which is proudly displayed. Kosovo is absolutely dominated by german engineering and construction firms, either building infrastructure or light manufacturing. Both Macedonia and Albania are also seeing investments, mostly into highways it’s pretty clear the goal is to have a trans-Ionnian highway running continuously from Triest to the end of the Peloponnese peninsula. The other effort is to create a spur of the Turkey-Bulgaria-Serbia highway, with an intersection in Niš that will cross Kosovo (it’s actually mostly done - from Pristina almost all the way to Tirana), allowing for faster transit to Trieste and on. I actually did not realize the volume of Turkish truck traffic going through Serbia, but it’s so significant most highway stops south of Belgrade have “we speak/are Turkish” and “we serve halal” signs.

The amazing thing is these projects are actually 50% done, with highway stretches all over the Balkans.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
In Germany they don't say "Eastern Europe",

they say "Absatzmarkt", and I think that's beautiful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

I just found out about this Chinese TRPG/deck builder based on Sienkiewicz's The Knights of the Cross. It has some bold stylistic choices.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2092850/Krzyacy__The_Knights_of_the_Cross/

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jagienka :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Mokotow posted:

The biggest surprise so far is how much the EU and Germany in particular are investing here

One reason is NATO bases, another is to compete with Chinese investments, and the third is to prop up Kosovo which would otherwise fall under quickly.