Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just saw a political poster around a shopping center road near Split of somebody’s 50-year old mustachioed uncle in a military uniform with the slogan “Hrvat ne avar”, what is that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Just saw a political poster around a shopping center road near Split of somebody’s 50-year old mustachioed uncle in a military uniform with the slogan “Hrvat ne avar”, what is that about?

Upcoming elections on wednesday. This is ad from a guy who claims he not a nazi:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So, uh, is Avar an insult? Didn’t they leave Croatia 1000 years ago?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He's just taking back the mustache

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Gervasius posted:

Upcoming elections on wednesday. This is ad from a guy who claims he not a nazi:

Shirt’s black, not brown, checks out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had someone ask me WTF was with Polish jam. They said they bought some and it was disgusting. Turns out they had purchased ćwikła thinking it was some kind of fruit jam. You’d think the smell would be the first hint that something was off.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Mokotow posted:

So, uh, is Avar an insult? Didn’t they leave Croatia 1000 years ago?

Well if he said he wasn't a Serb or a homosexual, that might fall under hate speech. "Croat, not a communist"? Hmmm... Maybe he invented Avars as boogeymen that cover all possible enemies of True Croats.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It seems there’s a theory that Croats are descended from Avars (https://povcast.ffzg.unizg.hr/ozivljavanje-teorije-o-avarskom-podrijetlu-hrvata/) and I guess he disagrees. I’m sure if I dug deeper, we’d end up in the turboslav genesis history tree so I won’t.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I got my rye flakes, kinda.

I was expecting some version of corn flakes made of rye. Processed. Ready to go. Delicious. That's what I used to get when asking for rye flakes.

These are more like oatmeal. And specifically look like chopped up sunflower seeds. There are instructions on the bags (which are even more like for drugs) in German to boil them before eating.

1/10 wouldn't clandestinely order again.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This feels anti-climactic somehow. You just got barely processed rye! Ice-T would not make a wise-crack :eng99:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Who is this woman peddling german unprocessed rye flakes whats going on

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
So you got what you ordered, but not what you wanted.

Tja.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's worse than all that because I do not have the facilities to prepare them (don't ask). So... I toss them out and feel bad. Or... I put it into the box at Lidl and worry someone will be dissapointed hoping for a care package with testy & easy to prepare goods but be met with organic wholegrain rye packed in a language they probably don't read. It could very well be giving them less than nothing.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 14, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thanks Obama Donald (not that one)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is what 6000 kilometers of Eastern Europe looks like.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

It's worse than all that because I do not have the facilities to prepare them (don't ask). So... I toss them out and feel bad. Or... I put it into the box at Lidl and worry someone will be dissapointed hoping for a care package with testy & easy to prepare goods but be met with organic wholegrain rye packed in a language they probably don't read. It could very well be giving them less than nothing.

Just put yogurt on them, it's rye muesli without the extra bits

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

They turn your car into a BMW? I guess it makes sense.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’d make more sense if it was a Merc; Merc owns the
balkans, period

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Mokotow posted:

Looks healthy. Many bugs splattering over the hood means a healthy ecosystem.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Worth adding that in two weeks, we had rain twice - on the first and last day in Poland (right after this picture was taken).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yeah, drat, I wish things were still so lively here. I've seen like 3 bees so far this spring.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Doctor Malaver posted:

yeah, i wish i got a fraction of these many bugs driving the length of california

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Registration plates, they’re cool! Since I drive a lot across Europe, plate spotting comes naturally. During the Balkan trip, I saw a bunch of new one and found one country in particular that takes the cake.

First of all, Hungary seems to be changing to a new system. The previous one - three letters a four digits - is now being phased out by a system starting with two characters and, as far as I can tell, they’re going alphabetically and most new plates start with AA. Fun! I think

Unfortunately, both EU and non-EU countries are opting for a very similar look and format, with most countries doing a two character start, black on white and a blue bar, regardless of if they’re EU or not. Honestly, it’s hard to make out if you’re looking at a Macedonian, Croatian or Slovakian plate, as they all have a small country crest after the first two characters.

Enter Albania! When they were designing their plate system, when asked to choose a color, they chose “yes”. Truck? Different color. Taxi? Another color. Trailer? Yes! What about the crest? It’s on a red bar, or on a blue bar. Sometimes it’s in the middle of the numbers sequence, sometimes not! Albania also changes their system on the reg, so you might be seeing a color composition from the 90s that has nothing to do with the current system.

There’s also an interesting Kosovo situation in that they insist on writing their country code (RKS) in yellow and there’s a Karabach/Nakchivan situation where if you stumble into Serbia, they either don’t let you in or destroy your plates. There is also a big bruhaha over the same thing on the other side of - Serbs going into Kosovo get their plates taken away or destroyed.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

If you ever come by estonia I'll let you wash your car jn my yard.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m pretty sure I’ll visit this summer.

Which reminds me! Washing you car is a religion in Albania! The moment you cross the border, there’s a stretch of like 5 km where every piece of roadside has a burst pipe and dudes washing cars with hoses. Throughout the country, there’s a carwash of various quality every, I want to be honest here… 500 meters?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I tried the rye flakes as muesli, no go. I tried to piggyback the rye flakes with corn flakes. I guess I'm stuck tossing them in with something else for a year or so.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 15, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
So, yesterday I watched last episode of Bluey and one of the characters mentions that "his moms" told him that somethingsomething. In Polish version it has been changed to "moja mama", singular, so it's "my mom" now. Call me naive, but I really thought that Poland is already past removing any LGBT elements during translation.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Nice to meet you, naive.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If it's just a one off dialogue mention then it could be a translator error, it's not like they are translating some timeless classic that will win them an excellence at translation award if they spend more time than bare minimum on an episode.

That said... naive.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Turns out it’s really easy to get in.

Edit: just saw Czarnek *shudders*

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
how come there's a cross over the door :pram:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You should see what's on the wall in the US senate :ohdear:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Edit: just saw Czarnek *shudders*

You can do the funniest thing in the world.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Let's not get Goon arrested please.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

goblin week posted:

how come there's a cross over the door :pram:

That's the entrance to vampire safe room.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In not very surprising news, UNICEF has released a paper (https://reliefweb.int/report/serbia...rbia-april-2024) on the conditions in which Roma children in Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia are raised and they're not great. Anywhere between 3/4ths and 85% of children live in inadequate conditions and immunization hovers around 40%. From personal observations, I saw children working traffic in Macedonia and just working in general all over Albania.

In Poland, we had Roma parents working with their children in traffic and tourist spots all the way up until around 15 years ago, when it was effectively stamped out. However, Slovakia is another story. I've been driving by this shanty town in north Slovakia (https://maps.app.goo.gl/o7zRxCRZswhLvmDD8) for years now and in the last decade the only change I saw was a baffling decision of the local community to pave the little road going between the shanties (as opposed to, you know, getting people into proper housing). There's always a lot of kids, mostly foraging in the local forests and rivers.

I was surprised to learn from this paper about Ashkali and Balkan Egyptians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkali_and_Balkan_Egyptians), who Roma consider their own, but who refuse to be associated back. The origin of both of these groups is unknown, ranging from Persian to Semitic, and they do practice circumcisions, which sets them apart from everyone else around them.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Time for every european to become megahitler about that!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Wow. Only noticed when I got home that the muesli I bought from the supermarket has nearly twice as much sugar as the corn flakes I wanted to replace due to them having too much sugar. That isn't specific to CEE I don't think but I am in CEE and this is happening to me.

Thanks Donalds. Both of them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Going to a physical store to get what you want is a losing proposition for anything even slightly unconventional – and just plain 4 grain Müsli is extreme hippie poo poo (barley, oats, rye, spelt). I have to order that stuff online.

Also, for hardier flakes, soak them for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like HDZ won in the Croatian parliamentary elections. They’ve lost the ruling majority, though.