Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A Polish acquaintance who speaks good Hungarian once overheard me on the phone to my (Finnish) family, and said that it was the weirdest thing: he thought I was speaking Hungarian but he couldn't make out a single word, as if I was a Hungarian person gone mad and speaking absolute gibberish. I don't hear the similarity myself, but I guess these things are different to an outsider ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've let myself understand that the Orbanistas are also swearing away the historical connection with Finns for culture wars reasons. Apparently it's a lot more manly to trace one's descent to pillaging horseback raiders from the steppe than to be associated with those bleeding heart nanny state wusses from the Nordic with their "feminism" and "welfare" and what have you.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I laughed at this so here's some lighter fare from Finland, with Russian subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64W-gSa3Qw

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Becoming an EU candidate means that your country is expected to start dealing harshly with corruption, but also provided with resources to tackle it. In any case, if Ukraine survives this, the debt of honour is too great for EU to not commit itself to eventual membership and a massive rebuilding effort to get UKR back on its feet.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's the only time of the year my parents bother cooking up a lamb roast, it's coming out of the oven right now and seems a bit overcooked, as usual. Happy Easter, despite everything, thread!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

You diss my Järvenpää Church, you fluff my hog...urch? :mad: I was confirmed in a Very Brutal Finnish Church from the 1960s, so I guess I have a bit of a weird relationship to that style of church architecture. Many of them are actually really fun buildings! I love the attention paid to scale and the warmth of the organic materials used in contrast with the concrete and all the geometric effects in them and the emphasis they place on the role of a church as a social space, not just as a place of worship where normal folks come to feel inferior in front of an Angry Father and and and...

But yeah, they're also pretty brutal.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've always felt that the bare concrete and strong but thoughtful lines radiate a feeling of quiet well-being and spiritual strength that more traditional churches rarely achieve. I guess I'm the one Finn who actually loves the style. (At least when it's well maintained, concrete sure ages badly and is hell to keep looking fresh.)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

I'm not saying the churches are ugly. Just peculiar. Here is a more artistic example of a concrete church.

It looks less weird in context with its sister buildings

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, you also have some kind of non-losers you could theoretically send to Eurovision?

Please don't open those wounds, Finland has a proud tradition of throwing great songs aside in favour of sending some forgettable lovely pop act that would've been relevant 20 years ago, finishing last and trying the same formula again next year :smith:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

idk how real this is but could not not post when it came up at a discord

https://twitter.com/PenBercifield/status/1530466376204398592

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

To explain, the Finnish Juhannus has such a high amount of deaths by drowning every year that people bet on the exact number. Many of those deaths occur when drunk men try to piss over the side of a boat, fall over and drown. A new phenomenon is folks passing out and drowning in those huge hot tubs everyone is installing these days.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Finnish conscription system these days is alright for taking a lot of shut-ins to learn nature skills and whatnot, even if these days people are easily given exemptions on medical grounds since you don't want a young person with mental health issues near a loaded rifle. (Yeah I'm trolling a bit, this is a very very good thing.) The dumb parts of the service like hazing have been pretty competently addressed in the last two decades and it's pretty much a state-sponsored camping trip with shooting guns and operating heavy military equipment now. As a former-nerdy-peacenik-nowadays-boring-adult who chose civil service in an elementary school kitchen instead, I sometimes wish I could make that choice again. It honestly sounds like an interesting and fun time.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 6, 2022

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on the above, how about a combination of mushrooms, olives and mayo?

Add some capers and mustard to the mix, chop everything all tiny, mix with the mayo and you've got yourself a very satisfying somewhat vegetarian sandwich filling. And use some proper funky-tasting funghi you picked from the woods behind your house instead of supermarket white button mushrooms.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We took an electricity contract at a locked price around 0,10€/kWh some time ago that'll last until the end of the year. No energy company will sell such contracts anymore in Finland, it's all direct market pricing for new customers. The winter will gently caress the folks who heat their houses with electricity hard, people are looking at triple to quadruple the "normal" cost for winter heating. Electricity has been super cheap in Finland until now, so I guess it's just gonna be like this for a while at least until the new nuclear plant in Olkiluoto comes online and the markets adjust.

The price of heating oil has also almost doubled so, uh, us oil heaters are getting reamed as well, but at least our house is small and relatively efficient, so we'll manage. We've been meaning to set up a heat pump but it's impossible to find free installers at the moment, everyone's schedule is full up until next year, it seems.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

it's incredibly grim

I looked at what Guardian had to say and just sighed incredibly deep, I feel for all you Poles on this here forums :smith:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

That post is an all-timer, holy poo poo :lmao: I can only imagine what the German cops felt when they realized what the hell was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tentative congrats to all Poland goons, it's nice to have some good news for a change :toot: It'll be interesting to see if the opposition will be able to make a meaningful start at getting rid of all the PiS stored in the judiciary and the police.