Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
My wife made me vegetarian bigos on our first date and it's held a special place in my heart ever since ❤️

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Was it simply no meat, or was there some kind of substitute?

Some soy-based smoked sausage, it was pretty good!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:dafuq:

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

It comes from seeing news stories about how the super-well-funded clinics for the super-rich do cool things like Surgery on a Grape and then mistakenly thinking that's available to everyone, because America is Paradise You See.

Same sources that are always going on about NHS waiting times.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a podcast for cats posted:

That was semi-intentional, I wanted to add an anecdote/observation in an edit and changed my mind later on. Too long didn't write was that in my experience Baltic and Polish women who emigrate abroad often don't realise just how amazing their skillsets and experience often are. Something something educational system cultivated impostor syndrome and something something business culture of creeping responsibility without adjusting pay or recognition.

Definitely something I see in my wife - but if I'm being honest also in a lot of the Dutch women around me. Sexism and the unfair demands and expectations it places on women know no boundaries :(

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I understand being sick of clancy chat theorycrafting, but what I actually meant is, is the thread decontaminated from the mindset that we need a safe space to discuss EE matters pretending there's not a loving war just around the corner.

The desire to silo off horrible news and even worse level of discourse to another thread so you can read this one without breaking out in stress is hardly 'contamination.'

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saying głobus out loud is making me giggle. I think I need more sleep

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After seeing what happened to Greece (and the southern economies in general), any country that's not on the Euro and relies on being able to tweak their exchange rate would have to be absolutely insane to adopt it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Is like to be able to explain this image to my less online Polish wife, can I have some cliff notes? Dzięki

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wesołych Świąt everyone, hope the carp was good!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

My part of the country just now [you know what it is but don't say it outright I've doxxed myself enough talking about work and my publications] has excellent tap water. Stellar.

There was a campaign to get people to drink it instead of buying bottled water. And to ask for it in restaurants. The restaurants were enccouraged to put up signs in turn encouraging you to ask for tap water, and places like coffee shops and obiady domowe were asked to have pitchers and glasses out for self serving. They would get tax incentives to make up for revenue lost on selling bottled still water.

The result? I have no clue. But at least a few people got turned off government water. They were suspicious. If it's fine than why are you spending so much convincing me it's fine?

It's so loving depressing seeing the amount of plastic bottles my in-laws use on any given day. I and my kids have been drinking the tapwater there without any trouble for a decade now but no sign of that changing their minds.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

The best street food is grilled cheese dumplings (the one that look like pierogies) from the stalls selling góralskie sery and homemade cranberry sauce.

Except they started to serve pure cow's milk cheese instead of the ones they sold in block and served it with cranberry sauce out of a supermarket container rather than the stuff they sold in jars.

Are you talking about oscypki or something else?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just love to smack fish with my śledźhammer

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

No, onions are inherently Polish… like, we call ourselves “cebulaki” - onion people.

Your mom’s not Polish hth

Cebula is Latin though, I always imagined the Italian queen brought them along with her, making it a relatively recent thing.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Political avs is always CSPAM nonsense. It's whatever.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Crossposting from the TVIV Foundation thread

I was surprised to find they’re filming the next season starting next week in my hometown Warsaw in Poland. They’ll do a week of filming at the Divine Providence Temple , which is a huge modernist concrete building we affectionately call “the juice squeezer”. They’ll also do filming at the POLIN Jewish museum which has some fantastic Foundation-style interiors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Divine_Providence?wprov=sfti1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POLIN_Museum_of_the_History_of_Polish_Jews?wprov=sfti1

I guess we're back at brutalism being futuristic?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

Looks healthy. Many bugs splattering over the hood means a healthy ecosystem.

Yeah, drat, I wish things were still so lively here. I've seen like 3 bees so far this spring.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

I’m trying to think of a Polish actor speaking English in a movie and Olbrychski’s role in Salt came to mind, but he was a playing an old soviet agent.

Anyhow, there’s a bunch if people on YouTube and I think this guy sounds like 85% of Poles speaking English: https://youtu.be/JS0aWS7uSzQ?si=JvrDrrf_V-g1BZ-c

It’s a bit more rounded and nasal, I want to say? Russian accent is very sharp and hard by comparison, using layman’s terms.

Yeah that video sure sounds like most Poles I talk to. I think the biggest difference with the more Russian-style accents is that Poles can do a normal 'l'.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

Wrong country, but the Finnish swearword for vagina is often used as punctuation as you describe. Some English-speaking friends were horrified to learn it was the local equivalent to the "c-word".

In certain Dutch circles 'cancer' is the punctuation curse. At least it's something actually nasty for us.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Tangentially, I wonder how Holender (Dutchman) became a mild curse word in Polish.

I mean *points at Dutch history in general* :geert:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Its amazing how much Dutch immigration we’ve had around Warsaw around the XVIs century. There’s a town named Holendry outside of Warsaw, and if you go there, it’s basically the Netherlands on a mini scale, down to how the scenery is the same due to polders they’ve built there. Apparently the Dutch quickly established a monopoly on shipping things on barges down the Vistula to Warsaw. Another left-over are the so-called Dutch hills north if Warsaw in the Puszcza - since the Dutch settled on bogs and low-lying lands, they’d place their houses on 5-10 metre high mounds. My friends family had a house on one of those mounds in the middle of the forrest, it was great (except winter, it was really fuckin steep and would murder your tires and gearbox).

Ha, cool. The village I grew up in was built on one of those hills. Great fun to speed down on your gocart or bike, not as much going up indeed.

But yeah, the Dutch inclination to make the environment fit them instead of the other way around is probably part of the reason they're historically not very well-regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in Corfu right now and it's exceeding expectations. Gorgeous countryside, perfect weather for my preferences (24ish), good food, friendly people.

Secondinh the advice to avoid the summer months and major tourist hubs, but there's a vast amount of countryside around all these places in the Mediterranean still.