Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Bigos needs a careful balance of taste: let it sit for too long and it gets to sour, not enough and it has no character.

I was totally sure next Thursday is Fat Thursday, and now I'll need to get some Pączki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm surprised there's no honorary EE nations in Central and South America.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

All that language talk reminded me of this gem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interslavic
I've watched a couple youtube videos where it's used, and as far as simple discussions go it's incredible. For more complex topics I needed subtitles.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I remember those things being one of my main dishes before dark ages of parenthood. Just throw them on a pan, add some fish sticks or maybe bacon and dinner for two was done.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

On a topic of local EE products: I've bought a table in a furniture shop, and found out that it was made in Belarus when it was delivered. Pretty surprising considering how much of furniture is made in Poland. Nice thing about it was the best manual I've ever seen in any furniture product I've ever assembled. The worst was a folding bed/sofa where I had to find a loving company catalogue to see how the end product should look like.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In other important news: it's now 3 days until Fat Thursday.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nope, it will be more of "See, I kept Hungary out of this mess". That's a lovely way to celebrate Fat Thursday..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wonder how much of refugee crisis we'll have. There's probably 2 million Ukrainians in Poland already, so I imagine they can take care of their friends/relatives in short term. If it jumps to 4 million then first time after WW2 Poland will have a significant ethnic minority numbers. I imagine it will take a total of 5 seconds for Kremlin propaganda mills to start stirring up poo poo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wonder if Batka is more likely to "slip and fall from balcony" or "get killed by Ukrainian homonazi terrorists".

Sad pączki pic.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

A friend that lives near PL-UA border mentioned there's visibly more Ukrainians there. Unsurprisingly that's the only direction they can evacuate, so I sincerely hope there's some protocol in place to let them through.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ate 3 pączki, getting one later too. gently caress it, we're going to die anyway.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In the dark days of 1980s Poland I remember going to buy a specific newspapers just for it's softer paper.
Some more informal info from PL/UA border: supposedly men aren't let out of Ukraine. On Polish side it looks to be under control, with most people having some relatives or friends waiting for them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In Poland some aasholes started a run on banks and gas stations. Managed to fill the car today on 4th station I've visited only because someone sane ordered limits to 50L per car.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My Russian friend working in Warsaw was verbally abused by some old lady once because "Ukrainians steal our jobs". There's very low likelihood Pole could tell by accent where someone is from outside of "east", I wouldn't bet majority of people would be able to tell Russian, Ukrainian or Belorussian by ear. Maybe Russian/doesn't sound exactly like Russian at most.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Corruption in Poland now is at most at the average EU level now, it was pretty much everyday affair before. I remember time when every hospital stay required an envelope with "gratitude gift" given beforehand. Same with handling anything in any way connected to state services: schools, city services and especially Police. Interesting thing that was left from that time is a practice of giving some sweets or small gifts to nurses and doctors after your stay.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In eastern Poland people supposedly rushed to buy iodine solution, that thing you're taking if you're afraid of thyroid cancer from getting in contact with radioactive cesium.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In Poland it takes a special kind of person to be pro-Kremlin, but I know some from local forums. I'm not visiting those sites since last week, I'd rather keep my sanity.
In tech sector there's already a lot of people from former USSR, so understandably having a colleague whose family is trapped in Kharkiv influences one's opinion.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

my family went full trump/antivax the last few years, so i wasn't sure anymore, but it seems there are some limits to just how broken their polish brains can get.

i'm still a bit worried that after the early feelgood period, there'll be a growing anti-refugee sentiment fueled by agitators exploiting the troubled past of our two nations.

I also expect that, but it would require some serious false flag stuff to drum up enough of the usual "Banderites are doing UPA marches in our town". It's more likely we'll see "Arabs with knives are organizing roaming rape gangs", saw some football hooligan shitheads try to feed that kind of propaganda recently.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wanted to add Penderecki, but just checked and he died 2 years ago..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Omobono posted:

As an Italian:

THANKS.

I'll pour one for the mayor this evening. What's his name?

Wojciech Bakun.

Joining the hate train for Ziemkiewicz. Also not idea why fantasy writers in this weird country have 50/50 chance of ending up radical right. See also Piekara and Komuda. At least Sapkowski seem to be ok.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, also want one. We had that in Poland once in a while, but it was not my preferred thing to eat. I'm surprised it's so popular in Russia/former USSR.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Now that's a proper EE post: bitter and grim.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Cyrillic is the superior way of writing, you just write what you hear. No need to figure out what foreign spelling style you need to use. Or if it's English George or French George...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sounds way safer for all people involved with president. If there's always some "president for life" privileges that extend the usual prestige and safety then the next guy is way more likely to use the "for life" clause.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If you have a lot of power, and some of the power is "for life", then the next guy has all the incentives to off you, and preferably your support structure/family clan. If you're just some politician that lost an election then you can sit on your rear end for the rest of your life in relative safety.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Looks like there's a major cyber attack against Polish railways. 19 out of 33 local centers are down. PKP is pretty poo poo, talking from experience, but I can't recall ever seeing more than 1 of those being down.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Funny Polish railway story: every time they give notice about delay it ends with "the delay may change", and I usually grumble under breath that "it sure as gently caress won't get any smaller". And one time it did. It's still maybe 0,2% of all delayed train rides I had, but still..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If I ever move from Poland one of the main criteria would be "how far away is the nearest border with Russia. Present idea is either Portugal or Canaries.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, that will be the case. Polish NGOs already were preparing to transport ladies that want abortion to Slovakia or other countries.
As an aside: PiS fucks from Podkarpackie that were first to push the "conscience clause" were also the first to organise companies that do travels to abortion clinics outside of country.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:staredog: There’s no way this isn’t intentional, is there?

Nah, they aren't that evil. It's all about their death cult of air accident, but now they can "prove" Kremlin was behind it. Fuckers lucked out we have real monsters just across the border, I really hope they lose next elections and next government goes all retribution on them, :decorum: be damned.
Mayor of Warsaw had some strong words about it though. I imagine he wasn't the only one.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Somaen posted:

Used to be that Poland and Lithuania got a lot of booze from Belarus that was dirt cheap and sometimes killing people. My guess would be that now the contraband over the border is cut off and people haven't started producing it in the same quantities

Or those statistics are for store bought alcohol, and don't include proud tradition of drinking homemade "bimber". Still by my observation people drink way less in Poland, and when they do it's usually better quality stuff. There's a noticeable decrease in sales of cheap beer for example. And based on a quick google search looks like most of recent alcohol poisonings in Poland were from trying to drink denaturated alcohol.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can you still buy alcohol in plastic containers with yogurt-like lids? I remember seeing those in Lithuania ~10 years ago and thinking how much of a product targetted to alcoholics having morning shakes those were.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

found the picture. It was one of the things that surprised me going from Poland. Also how strict were the "no alcohol sales after x hour".

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's an reaction to Polish Institute of National Remeberance going around removing monuments with forbidden symbol of hammer and sickle.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i struggle to understand how none of the lower four tenants havent kicked one of those poles out yet

They don't want that abomination taking a sudden visit in their houses, or at the least destroying their balconies and probably windows.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I used to travel a lot in my previous job, usually to some smaller towns, and being cheap I've usually picked small local hotels like the one pictured. I always enjoyed buildings where it was completely obvious the hotel grew slowly as new layers were added in. You could see completely different set of materials and then-up-to-date styling where noone touched old areas unless completely necessary. Some of those places were restaurants, dance halls, wedding reception places and community spots in one go. There was sometimes even sauna and a pool.
And the best part: since the stay was at something crazy cheap like 20-30 EUR per night max I could easy ask to "include 15 EUR consumption, but keep it all under hotel service" in the invoice, which meant I both got daily food per diem and all the food I could eat in the hotel.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

https://rozklad-pkp.pl/en/
you can serach for trains here. Seems like Przemyśl is the main transfer hub. The closest airport is in Rzeszów, but it's small and has limited routes. Looks like it has routes only to Warsaw and London. So next (probably better) choice would be to go Lviv-Przemyśl-Warsaw.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's even funnier is I've visited Lublin a couple of times, and drove past Rzeszów maybe twice. Never used plane though, waaaay too much hassle considering IC can be not poo poo on some routes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wanted to get an EV since vast majority of my trips are 120km max. But then there are those ~20 trips per year that are longer than that which would either require expensive EV with at least 400km real life range, being forced to rely on sparse Polish recharge station grid or just renting an ICE car.. Ended up getting a hybrid, since back then I couldn't justify shelling 30% extra for a plug-in hybrid. Also WFH is amazing, having to pay 8PLN/L hurts way less if you fill the tank twice a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those portable things are pretty loud and inefficient. I'd rather get one of those Asian style in-window units.