Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
How is Mongolia's conversion from Cyrillic going anyway?
Also, half of Estonia being honorary Nordic? Good map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Well the thing with the Turkic languages is that the major geographical expansion of that group happened pretty recently in history, only about 1000 years ago, and it was only really the one language/branch that did the expanding and then diverged into most of the big modern Turkic languages, which by large are actually still pretty drat similar to each other, enough that there is still a great deal of common ground, mostly complicated by stuff like different writing systems and foreign loan words more than the actual Turkic base of the languages.

Hungarian migration was also only about 1100 years ago, but Finnish one seems to may have been way older than that (3000?) so yeah....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's something of a constitution age dick measuring game internationally, mainly because of America.

For its sake we ignore that older constitutions also tend to be markedly worse than modern ones as legal frameworks.

Constitution of Pylyp Orlyk is very old. It also never went into effect, is more than a little anti-semitic, and has some ...interesting... takes on history.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Something feels off about that non-brocolli, but I can't quite place it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s way too many ingredients, to represent an average meal here.

And not nearly enough bread or cereals. (Grechka!)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

szary posted:

Same in Poland, a broken leg or cancer won't put you in debt for life, but on the other hand waiting times times are so long that you either pay out of pocket or your "super urgent!!" procedure gets scheduled for 2025 and you'll be treated like poo poo at the hospital.

The thing about US is that waiting times still suck. Not 2025 kind of suck, but it still takes forever because extra capacity = more expenses = less profit. (Of course a public system would probably get the same result due to inadequate funding).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is Zych labeled as ... holy spirit?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder how will they could compete given the likely difference in production values, though. Not that they should not try.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I've heard rumors that anyone caught for protesting could be conscripted and sent over there. Any idea if that's BS? Sounds pretty crazy even for Russia.
It's an LDPR bill, supposedly. So it's probably the usual crazy-for-show, but who the heck knows these days.

Edit: confirmation: https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/20...ykh-aktsii-news

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Fun Russian trivia: Marx's Capital was translated into Russian before the Holy Bible (1872 vs. 1876).

After all, Church Slavonic is God's native language :catholic:

God has a very politically loaded ethnic identity it seems --- (North) Macedonian.

(Well, it was probably Church Slavonic and not Old Church Slavonic at this point, but I am not even sure as to how one classifies that)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Sounds very secret ballot. They totally won't record which IP votes for whom.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This conversation is giving me matzah cravings.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My experience in the US has been that buildings with fancy architects tend to be worse for inhabitants/users than utterly generic boxes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Some of them would look good if not for concrete looking absolutely hideous. I am really wondering as to how the whole thing happened: "we are going to build things using the ugliest construction material known to man and do nothing to pretty it up!" strikes me as a very strange direction for an architectural movement.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fez_machine posted:

This article was linked in the Ukraine war thread but I wanted to make a joke that doesn't fit with that thread's seriousness

anyway there is no Eastern Europe

Well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_midpoint_of_Europe#Transcarpathia,_today_in_Ukraine

(It's hardly an undisputable claim, but there is a lot of Europe in the European part of Russia, at any rate)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The only part I understood is "Riga Pride"

Well, and Latvian Republic and Parliament.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There seems to be some sort of regionalism angle, too --- lots of protests in region of Karakalpakstan about apparently attempts to remove it's nominal(?) autonomy.

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1543345628360622084

Also, I am not sure there were term limits? Karimov was in charge since USSR times to his death in 2016.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I don't know how I could forget how the post-Soviet space loves the rituals of following a "legal process" while following none of its substance....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure what the difference is between Energy Drink Black Monster and Non-alcoholic Drink Black Monster?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This makes me remember spending a bunch of time as a kid sticking on paper strips with soap to window edges to make them leak less heat in prep for winter... and this was Odesa, which hardly ever gets below 0.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Disappointing that KuK isn't some sort of "Make Latvia a part of resurgent Austro-Hungarian Empire" party with that name. Sounds like it would be an improvement, too.
(... not sure how I would deal with those choices if I were Latvian...)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Woops:
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1584650474967269376
...Macron apparently gifted the Pope a book that had a Polish pre-WW2 stamp of the Academic Library of Lviv (or Lwow, I guess, in context).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

It's just a stylish plus symbol! ➕️

It's for Irish solidarity!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Snow? In *my* eastern Europe?

...that being Buffalo, NY?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TearsOfPirates posted:

Eh, as long as a NATO general doesnt mix us up, we're good I think.

Though we could just swap our hockey teams, pretty please?

Slovakia no longer has the power of Satan backing their hockey team, though?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TearsOfPirates posted:

Well my hockey NT is pylons being carried by one guy, so I wouldn't mind having Satan in my team.

Miroslav Šatan wasn't quite the player Kopitar is, but having his name spelled as "Satan" on the old Sabres Goathead jerseys had some extra entertainment value:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Blimey.

Given Turkey's past earthquakes consistently revealing corruption in how well building code is followed, this could have an effect on the elections either way. If houses built in recent years withstand the disaster then Erdogan can take credit for that, but in the opposite case the opposition gets fuel for their campaign.

It's also right next to Syria which... likely has a lot of heavily damaged housing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I can see why the death toll is so high. It happened around 4:15 AM and I've seen 2 videos on the BBC so far of 8 - 10 storey newish looking buildings in Turkey completely collapsing.

Which means it's near certainly going to get much higher :(

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you still can't create a psn account in latvia, and the official sony latvia dealership advice is to choose finland as the country, which gets extremely funny in that finland only has phone support on psn lol

.... And is that support in... Finnish?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

I guess I need to look up the history of that area, I assumed it was always a part of Romania but I guess not?

United Romania as a country is actually somewhat new, it spent like 5+ centuries split into various pieces like Wallachia, Moldavia (much bigger than current one), Transylvania, Bessarabia, which often had only limited autonomy as it was caught right in between Russian Empire, the Ottomans, and [Austria-]Hungary.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am confused:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JosepBorrellF/status/1637219517792174080

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is massive, much like the cash infusion that Vucic wants from the EU.

Well, except that the previous post suggests that it may not actually be true, hence my "I am confused" label.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Basically, the Borrell tweet is… okay. They have a deal. It's a worse deal than they wanted to, but it's a done deal, and the first steps are being taken. This is excellent news, and I'm excited about their progress.

Seems like a reverse Minsk: there is no signed agreement, but there are actionable implementation steps that might actually work?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

:same:

If it was like -20 for a month that's one thing, but there's snow on the ground for a week and then just cold, dark, and wet for like half a year.

I hear a lot of chuds are leaving California, I need to go to there for the free real estate

If you want snow, you want upstate NY (near lake shores), which also offers rust belt real estate prices (and economic opportunities, and depressing winters). Also pretty sure CA real estate is still nuts.

https://goldensnowglobe.com/the-top-5-snowiest-cities-at-the-end-of-each-season/
(Totals are in inches -- 2.54cm each, also it seems Colorado has been very snowy lately)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Everything about Batka's recent successes baffle me.

Batka has been in power longer than Putin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is Nechitailo a pen name, or his real family name?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://m.emsc.eu/ lists a 4.0 in Slovenia (and doesn't seem to offer an obvious way of linking to it, but it's the most recent at time of writing).

Doubt that's strong enough to cause much trouble ..

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
[

steinrokkan posted:

The same thing Americans always expect when they go abroad

That the local savages will prostrate themselves before the civilized man who is bringing gifts of wisdom and dollar

It's absolutely possible for diaspora members to be greeted warmly in their ancestors' homeland. They just need to be elected the President or become Olympic champions or Hollywood superstars or something substantially more impressive than being an American.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

khwarezm posted:

People are saying that its a leftist party that's about to take power in Slovakia, is that true?

Socially conservative pro-genocide "leftists", yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Czechs are the people who built the best stuff in the Warsaw pact.