Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Was it simply no meat, or was there some kind of substitute?

We have some vegetarian bigos for Christmas Eve, I believe it's simply no meat, from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Poland also has an issue of extremely high age of medical personnel, due to emigration and low wages (and the declaration of PiS 'let them leave' after the last protest of medical staff should tell you how they've been treated for a while now (tbh longer than PiS was at the helm)).

The average age of a nurse in Poland was 53 in 2020 and has been increasing by 0.5 year per year for a while now.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 16, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

In a move that was then obvious in hindsight, the Greek Cypriots decided to have their cake and eat it, too. By voting down the unification referendum, while the Turkish Cypriots approved it.

Can you expand on this point - why was it obvious and why was it desirable to Greek Cypriots? To spite-deny Turkey access to EU?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't realize the differences were mounting up already back then, thank you for the write up. It's weird though how North Cyprus isn't recognized, but the will to be reunited doesn't exist either - what other path is there, just status quo of existing side by side?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The original (well, the medieval ones) inhabitants of Kaliningrad/Prussia were gone a long time ago, eventually replaced by Germans, now replaced by Russians (and Poles and I believe some Ukrainians on the Poland half); so there's not much Baltic language there.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Does Hungary have that weird law, where you can't talk about election results until it ends (it leads to some stupid poo poo in Poland where everyone is thinly disguising it by talking about the price of X being 40PLN, while Y is 23PLN on election days)?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Pretty sure. 12 our of the 14 voting districts of Budapest were won by the opposition. The countryside is under total media control tho.

These are the nazis paid by Putin.

PiS was floating an idea of FPTP in rural areas (where they have a majority/plurality so 100% of seats go to them) and proportional in the cities (where the opposition has a majority/plurality, so PiS captures some votes there as well). I'm assuming that Hungary has a similar system (and this is where PiS got the idea from), or is it all FPTP?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I know there were some reports of blockades on the border with Belarus and Kaliningrad against trucks, but I don't believe I heard anything about individual passenger cars. Probably wouldn't rule it out though, unfortunately.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Somaen posted:

Aren't you a week early, schismatic? :smuggo:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Somaen posted:

Wrong pipe, the one through you opens up later this year I think. Uniting us all in semicircle of natural gas and alcohol problems

Eastern Europe - It's the circle semicircle of life alcohol problems.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Which is fitting, since he was nicknamed Zero like 18 years ago.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I chuckled at the Russian response to Lithuania blocking transit to Kaliningrad:
https://www.lrt.lt/en/news-in-english/19/1723423/russia-says-lithuania-s-transit-ban-illegal

quote:

On Monday, Kremlin said it would “formulate” a response after Lithuania banned the rail transit of sanctioned goods between the Russian mainland and its exclave of Kaliningrad, wedged between Poland and Lithuania on the Baltic coast.

“This decision is truly unprecedented, it is a violation of everything,” Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin’s spokesperson, said on Monday.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

How do the celebrations look like? Is it popular, or just another day for most people and an excuse to meet up for the rest?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Amateur, you're supposed to fill it with party apparatchiks, who will vote however you want like Poland does.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I believe it actually is on the east side of Krynica and that’s the only thing that makes sense about it. welp…
1. It’s too narrow and shallow to be useful.
2. There was no need for it anyway. Elblag is a dead port and not for the lack of canal
3. They promised billions in amber, as in just digging the canal would pay for itself tenfold, there was no amber.

That’s of the top of my head, but there’s probably more

Also the waterway to the port is even shallower and stops on approach to Elbląg. And it will require maintenance.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Just play 2 through 5 on a loop, they're all cool.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The last time we had a salad chat a literal war broke out.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently he saw a spent one modified to a loudspeaker, he probably thought he got himself a boombox.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Happy Olivier Salad Day goons and goonettes.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There may be many different Olivier Salads, but they're all good and holy (and possibly horrifying depending on the ratio of mayonnaise and presence of some ingredients you're not used to).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Or absence of mayo in my personal case :greenangel:

That's OK, it was balanced out by this monstrosity (not mine)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, the current Polish government is doing enough creative accounting, that it's getting harder and harder to say what the state of the finances are. So on the one hand having an independent currency makes some sense to try to stabilize poo poo, but on the other - :rubby: about the current national bank being independent.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Feeling I’m actively becoming stupider by internalising this knowledge

:negative:

A few more news like that and you too can live in Poland.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Ever wondered what attempting a rocket jump IRL would look like? Wonder no more! Leaked photos show the result of the Polish Policja commissioner playing around with a launcher he brought back from a Ukraine visit. Photos were kept confidential, as his defense was he was given an old launcher turned into a Bluetooth speaker, and you can clearly see that no, it was a weapon and you could clearly see it. Curiously, there seems to be more weapons in the background. How no one died and the only injuries suffered was to the commissioner's hearing is a mystery,

https://www.onet.pl/informacje/onetwiadomosci/krzysztof-brejza-ujawnil-zdjecia-z-wybuchu-granatnika-w-kgp/6d4bhnm,79cfc278

I don't know, the photos clearly confirm it was a boombox (or a boomtube).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Why the boycott choice on the referendum?

Also, the polling station needs to count the results from both the voting and referendum within 24 hours for it to be valid, so less work for them is more gooder.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/tomasz_sawczuk/status/1713877677935821187

Konfederacja.txt

Edit: Eastern Europe: possibility of eating dogs wasn't what our voters expected

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Looks like Korwin is on the verge of not making it into the Sejm. He will be missed.

A prime example of why giving women the right to vote was a wrong idea :argh: (quoting his interview answer on why he lost in his constituency to a woman from his own party)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Final results are in
Sejm:
194 PiS
157 KO
65 TD
26 Lewica
18 Konfederacja

74,38% turnout

Senate:
66 Opposition
34 PiS

74,31% turnout

Turnout for the referendum (nobody cares about it) 40,91%

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, I think at least one prime minister was designated (and voted in) from the not-majority party (Pawlak in 93). They went with a coalition with the leading party though anyway.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I could be persuaded for the return of the kingdom of Wenceslaus II.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

Is like to be able to explain this image to my less online Polish wife, can I have some cliff notes? Dzięki

1. That's the former Defense Minister - Antoni Macierewicz
2. There are many hosed up things about him, but the core one here is that he was promoting the 'Russians shot down Kaczynski in Smolensk'
3. Using sausages in simulations
4. He's requesting the plane hull (a bun) for the passengers (I think that's what the sausages were supposed to be)
5. The phrase 'Jaka parówa wariacie'/'Which sausage, dude/psycho/insert non-obvious translation here' was a meme (or maybe even a real ad campaign) for the convenience store Żabka, which also has a side-shop selling hot-dogs/coffee/etc.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Also, no king-like pardon powers for the President, or does Duda just not want to use them?

Part of the issue here is that Duda claims that the two MPs were already successfully pardoned by him 8 years ago. However as mentioned above, that happened before the appeal process ended so he was in effect pardoning (still) innocent people. That was done because even with a pardon you can't be an MP if you've been convicted, so it was seen as a One Quick Trick Judges Don't Want You To Learn About to get them into Sejm.

Edit:

Mokotow posted:

Duda, who has a law PhD, is ignoring years of established legal precedent and is basically saying “nope, I can propose expunge any crime whenever I want!”.
You've also got another Duda criticising Duda video from a few years back.

https://www.rp.pl/prawo-karne/art10426401-akt-laski-co-andrzej-duda-mowil-w-2011-roku

mmkay fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 10, 2024

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you from the mountain for the link.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

What does the A in CEA stand for? Is the whole acronym something like Central Europe Area or something? I tried googling it but it shows results for CEE directly instead.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The tomatoes aren't free in any of these countries at all!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eastern Europe - the bread (superiority) riots thread

EDIT: rye-ots also works

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

This is what 6000 kilometers of Eastern Europe looks like.

They turn your car into a BMW? I guess it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Installing WhatsApp or Signal would also work.