Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What about Portugal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

In utterly unrelated news, I learned about Volte Pravý Blok today. (And I won't write their full name because I don't want to summon a … gerontocratic demon right now)

And uh. Huh.

Like ten years ago I uploaded a ton of election spots ripped from TV to YouTube, among them one of Mr. Cibulka / Pravý blok. To this day I get the occasional notification that he himself had commented on the video with some fresh public announcement because apparently this video with triple digit views is a major part of his PR platform.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

A friend that lives near PL-UA border mentioned there's visibly more Ukrainians there. Unsurprisingly that's the only direction they can evacuate, so I sincerely hope there's some protocol in place to let them through.

Talked with a coworker today. She has family, including kids, in western Ukraine. It's a small town, far from frontlines, but there is a small military aer stip nearby that got hit with missiles. She left today for the Slovakian border to get her family out of there and hopefully others too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

In utterly unrelated news, I learned about Volte Pravý Blok today. (And I won't write their full name because I don't want to summon a … gerontocratic demon right now)

And uh. Huh.

steinrokkan posted:

Like ten years ago I uploaded a ton of election spots ripped from TV to YouTube, among them one of Mr. Cibulka / Pravý blok. To this day I get the occasional notification that he himself had commented on the video with some fresh public announcement because apparently this video with triple digit views is a major part of his PR platform.

Speak of the devil, he's just shared his views on how the Czech Republic should respond to Russia:

quote:

Pravý Blok
19 hours ago
Ukrajina je poslední varování!!! Nestačí obnovit základní povinnou vojenskou službu, jakou jsme vždycky měli a jakou má i Ukrajina. Taková armáda - pod vedením vlastizrádných ruských fízlů - nás před Ruskem nikdy neubrání! Pokud to nechápete, podívejte se na Ukrajinu!!! Jediná armáda, schopná nás před Ruskem ubránit, je atomovými zbraněmi dokonale vyzbrojená armáda švýcarského typu, zbavená všech vlastizrádců v žoldu ruských KGB a GRU. Tedy politiků, novinářů, generálů a vyšších důstojníků v ozbrojených složkách! Nic jiného nás před Ruskem nezachrání!

And translated:

quote:

Ukraine is the final warning!!! It's not enough to reinstate mandatory conscription, which we always used to have, and which Ukraine still has to this day. Such an army - led by treasonous undercover agents - would do nothing to protect us from Russia! If you don't get that, just take a look at Ukraine! The only kind of army capable of protecting us from Russia would be armed with nuclear weapons, formed according to the Swiss model, and stripped of all the traitors on the payroll of Russian KGB and GRU. This means stripped of politicians, journalists, generals and high ranking officers serving in our armed forces! Nothing short of this is going to save us!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's quite possible that's exactly what he means

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Isn't the border blocked on the Ukrainian side

That's what I read

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is the phrase "flash mob" used to mean something surprising or unexpected in Russian?

Yeah, they got it wrong and it stuck, like when Germans thought "would you give me a handy" meant "would you give me your phone"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kamrat posted:

Does the EU accept members that have breakaway states?

It does not.

The EU can also refuse to admit - or rather keep a candidate waiting indefinitely - for literally any reason, if even one of the members is opposed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cyprus is an EU member.

The demand for territorial integrity and settled disputes arose mainly during negotiations with the Balkans States in the 90s and was also explicitly raised in accession dialogue with Turkey. It's the main reason Turkey will never be admitted in its current form

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
AFAIK he's an rear end in a top hat of the Harlan Ellison sort, which is actually cool and good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

проста пиши то, што ты слушаешь! как лигко, мой друк!

lamenting the loss of lipton of all things is extremely russian

https://twitter.com/SovietSergey/status/1502764505926877190

worst thing about visiting in the past was that all the actually good asian bottled tea brands were nowhere to be found

No Doritos, no McDonald's, no sugar sludge water... Sounds like Russia has it figured out

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xarn posted:

Old school handling of foreign names in Czech was to just append -ová to the surname of women, so that it had a recognizable shape that you could use to form different grammar forms. Nowadays we don't do that until we need the suffix to change to carry meaning, and to use different suffixes according to the name.

There are some people trying to stop people from changing suffixes of foreign names, but I think that's wrong because it breaks the grammar, and the argument of "well the name doesn't work like that" is bad, because taken to the logical conclusion, you'd have to e.g. pick right one of 7 different forms of my name to use based on grammatical conceits that DO NOT EVEN EXIST IN ENGLISH.

It's a tough dilemma, on the one hand I don't like adding "ová" to foreign names that technically don't need it, on the other hand using raw English names with no declensions (e.g. "viděl jsi ten nový film s Amy Adams?")is such an insufferably ostentatious dipshit poseur move, id rather slap myself than do it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

It's every first Wednesday of the month or something like that. Often enough that you remember it's a thing, but rarely enough that you're not sure if it's a test or the real deal.

Protip is that the real deal is never a continuous tone, unlike the test.

Anyway, the monthly tests have been cancelled for now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Croatia won't accept Swedish NATO membership unless the Albanian president publically admits that the Croatian president's garden gnome collection is "the bestest he's ever seen" and "much more dignified than any garden gnome collection in Albania or Kosovo", verbatim.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xarn posted:

So I guess it's a Czechia thing then. I literally saw 1 mention of Eurovision in Czech in the past few months.

We always send some loser who ends up last in the semifinals, of course nobody pays attention. Only the Brits do worse, but at least they start in the finals. It's a vicious spiral of indifference.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In 2014 the crowd booing over the performance was so strong that it was clearly audible in the broadcast even with all the live audio editing they were trying to do to mitigate it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Was it mentioned that EU commission has deemed Croatia ready to join Euro in January 2023? Needs to be ratified but presumably that is a done deal.

Didn't they just have a competition to redesign the kuna?

E: No, it was a competition to design an Euro coin with the kuna symbolism

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 1, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

I was mostly referring to its widespread use, it's like spice on Arrakis, everywhere. But compared to some other national cuisines, I think Hungarian is only moderately spicy, but probably still spicier than other V4 cuisines.

I mean the spiciness level of other V4 countries is literally 0. I personally think the mass infatuation with over the top spiciness is largely performative and obnoxious and to the detriment of food culture in general, but then I get even more annoyed when I make something with a molecule of chili in it and suddenly everybody freaks out that is inedible, often before even tasting it.

BTW Hungarians make very good hot sauces imo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Car owners deserve to suffer, so I've been in :sickos: mood for a while

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you considered not feeling hot and / or cold

My flat has south-east facing windows so it always was a bitch to stay in through the summer without AC, surprisingly getting good reflective blinds really helped and nowadays it's always cool and pleasant inside, though it probably helps I enjoy living enveloped in non-stop sullen darkness

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/aaroneglitis/status/1534481709936304128

As always, Latvia pulls through when it comes to topping a ratings chart for an embarrassing statistic. Before you ask, >90% of those murders stem out of domestic violence, and stuff like mafia business or high-profile assassinations amount to single digit murders per year.

What's happening in the Baltics in general

Can't be just poverty, can it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

barbecue at the folks posted:

. A new phenomenon is folks passing out and drowning in those huge hot tubs everyone is installing these days.

Nature of healing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bulgaria feels like it hardly ever figures into anything. Hungary is not only poo poo, but it's also constantly in the news because it keeps loving with things. I don't remember the last time I noticed Bulgaria trying to have a decisive say in anyhing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Soros can't keep getting away with it :qq:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thank you, monkey paw!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I got the annual balance for electricity less than two weeks ago, apparently my monthly rates are going to be lowered by about 30% and they'll be refunding me about three months' worth of bills. :pwn: Definitely didn't expect that, though it's true I've been very diligent about not wasting energy lately.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Is this really the official account of their embassy in Moldova?

Who need they Azembassy ate?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Bananas have a distinct flavour, although it's also worth noting that the artificial banana flavour in candies etc. is based on a cultivar that got killed by Panama disease in the 1960's, so it's nothing like our current Cavendish.

Now if it was potato flavour...

i say swears online posted:

i was aware of the gros michel but didn't know it was used in runts' awful banana candy. lol i'm glad they're all dead

Banana candy doesn't taste like Gros Michel either, even if it's a popular myth, it tastes like isoamyl acetate which is used as generic banana flavorant because it's dirt cheap and is contained in both banana cultivars, but obviously layered with other flavors that are missing in the candy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

I was getting some shopping done yesterday and noticed this super ancient granny luging a big bag of shopping, so I offered to help her carry it home. As we were walking down the street, she started to percolate her worldview, and it of course turned out she was super racist (all Germans are evil demons because they murdered my family in camps) and pro-PiS (current non-PiS progressive mayor of Warsaw is "worst ever"). I couldn't nope out of this for 20 minutes as she was stopping every 3 steps to share more pearls of wisdom. Even in the very downtown of Warsaw, from people supposedly of the legendary "inteligencja" you get this poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can't decide if herring or carp is the worse holiday fish

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

Carp, by far. Some ways of preparing herring are pretty good, especially not fried. I get why carp could be eaten during fast, it's like suffering in food form. Also the fish bones, you can never get rid of them.

Later on I'll post a pic of cursed sushi we'll eat.

Yeah, people always say "I actually enjoy carp, it totally doesn't taste like sewer!"; motherfucker, i dare you, buy it voluntarily outside of Xmas!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We would fish carp and eat it just fine, when I was a kid.

Distressing.

Arzachel posted:

Y'all are directly responsible for this. Made way too much, so I'll be eating variations on crab salad for a week straight.

Still got a bucket of potato salad to go around and the spring temperatures mean there's nowhere to store it safely :cry::nms::barf:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, may the next year be a bit less of a cluster gently caress, I guess

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That track suit :chanpop:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the grim dark future of 2050, there is only Polska

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Czech Republic has finished counting the results in the first round of presidential elections, the frontrunners are Andrej Babiš, the former PM and hyper wealthy agro-baron, and Petr Pavel, the squinting former general, who is probably going to rally the rest of the electorate around him in the second round, which would cement Czech position as staunchly anti-Russian in the current conflict. Have a BBC article (not sure why they choose a volleyball player as their chief interviewee):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64246903

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Czech Republic has elected Petr Pavel, former head of the NATO Military Committee, as its president, beating former PM Andrej Babiš 58:42 :toot: Clearly this infiltration of civilian power by the military is further proof that homonazi corruption has given the Bohemian scoundrels an insatiable bloodlust.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well you're right, but for one, this country is just cursed by an extreme abundance of slobbering bootlickers and it's not gonna change because unlike elsewhere even the young generation loving sucks with its spiessburger philistine values, and second, I can't get too worked up about this vote since the president's office has been turned into an embarrassing joke by its two previous inhabitants and hopefully it's going to stay irrelevant in the future as well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/02/24/warsaw-refuses-to-certify-157-micro-apartments-in-citys-hong-kong-complex/

Rich dude in Warsaw is super annoyed his genius plan of skimming the regulations did not pan out. He tried to register micro-apartments as hotel rooms he would then sell on to private “investors”. Now he’s extra mad at the city authorities. Luckily, the whole oligarch thing hasn’t really caught on, so he can go and pound sand.

That place looks like a total nightmare and obvious future urban blight, it's a joke it got approved in the first place, and got so far as to even start construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the intent is that deep, they are simply banking on the fact that 99% of the people in Eastern Europe have literally zero idea about Western politics and culture outside of the mass monoculture, so they have no retort to stupid claims like that. Especially among piss voters.