Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Picking up on last thread 🇭🇺 chat

One of the most fascinating EE things for me is the Finland-Estonia-Hungary connection. They share a language group but Hungary is ten million km away from both Estonia and Finland. I guess it kinda makes sense they’d get involved into each other’s poo poo at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I agree Mongolia should have an honorary membership in the EU, though I’ve just had a read and it seems the claims of however-many-percent of Europeans being descended from Genghis is myth (even though some 16 million people in Asia could be).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_Genghis_Khan

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bringing back bigos chat lost in the last thread, because I’ll be drat if I let a good food post go to waste.

quote:

In the pots warmed the bigos; mere words cannot tell
Of its wondrous taste, colour and marvellous smell.
One can hear the words buzz, and the rhymes ebb and flow,
But its content no city digestion can know.
To appreciate the Lithuanian folksong and folk food,
You need health, live on land, and be back from the wood.
Without these, still a dish of no mediocre worth
Is bigos, made from legumes, best grown in the earth;
Pickled cabbage comes foremost, and properly chopped,
Which itself, is the saying, will in one's mouth hop;
In the boiler enclosed, with its moist bosom shields
Choicest morsels of meat raised on greenest of fields;
Then it simmers, till fire has extracted each drop
Of live juice, and the liquid boils over the top,
And the heady aroma wafts gently afar.
Now the bigos is ready. With triple hurrah
Charge the huntsmen, spoon-armed, the hot vessel to raid,
Brass thunders and smoke belches, like camphor to fade,
Only in depths of cauldrons, there still writhes there later
Steam, as if from a dormant volcano's deep crater.

What Mickiewicz, strangely, fails to note is that bigos absolutely needs to stand for two or three days before you have at it.

In a restaurant, you’ll find it under Bigos Myśliwski (Hunter’s Bigos) which an old commie joke would describe as “saurekraut on plate, meat in the forrest”.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe if Estado Novo was communist…

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think it’s absolutely normal - it smells like a motherfucker, doesn’t taste in any way interesting when you’re a kid and the pinnacle of your cravings is anything smothered in ketchup and, I will agree, looks like barf poo poo.

Having said that, a proper one with good meats and real sour bread is amazing and I hadn’t had it in ages and I miss it. Can’t think where I could buy a proper one though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just realized I know very little about the history of Mongolia’s statehood 🤔

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I always felt Polish was super young, coming into common use around the XVI century, but 1850… drat, that’s recent.

Is there a Latvian national epic?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Erm, is “the Bear Slayer” a ham fisted analogy? He’s slaying Russians, I mean?

Edit: hm, seems actual bears do get shredded
Edit2: There’s a lot of beef with Christians

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 14, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Listen he tried twice ok????????

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Whenever I read or hear about stuff in Argentina, I get strong EE vibes. But then there’s so much more there that makes it anything but 🤷‍♂️

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s been a Brazilian meat place in Warsaw for ages, but that’s about it. There’s a significant Spanish diaspora these days that came with the Spanish construction companies following EU subsidies, so we’re good on the Spanish restaurants front. Surprisingly, since one of our largest national shopping chains is Portuguese, its weirdly easy to buy Portugese groceries.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

My wife made me vegetarian bigos on our first date and it's held a special place in my heart ever since ❤️

Was it simply no meat, or was there some kind of substitute?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m going to lean towards bigos needing something more in it, even a soy substitute, for it to be more than sauerkraut stew. Then again, if you fill it full of mushrooms, some dried veggies or even dried fruits… question is when does it stop being bigos 🤔

That’s a great write-up, I had no idea how these languages stack against each other. I guess this reminds me of the turkic language group on a smaller scale - there are spots of turkic stretching all the way to China, some of them fairly ancient and quite different from other, more modern branches.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 15, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How American would you guys say this veggie mix is?

In Poland baked potato=USA. And corn.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 16, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

According to a quick search, broccoli is the most popular vegetable in the US and I don't think cauliflower is a good replacement at all.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kind of surprised you guys know Hortex :confused:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Donation will land you in prison. They’ve cone down super hard in the last 20 years on bribes, wether during traffic stops, in hospitals or to grease the wheels, so to speak. Corruption now happens at a higher level, or takes the form of nepotism.

As far as life saving procedures, they get absolute priority, but since the system is backlogged, everything else doesn’t, so even crucial surgeries (but not “lifesaving“) get scheduled years in advance. It kinda sucks, but it isn’t the absolute worse.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Not only was someone ordered to work that crane, they complied :rip:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Being openly gay, as in showing affection to a same sex person in public, is unfortunately dangerous in Poland, even in Warsaw, where there have been incidents of stabbings, not to mention other forms of thuggery.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

People have been buying up paączki for the last two Thursdays because lent and easter are so late this year and everybody thinks the drat doughnut day should have happened by now.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ordo Juris is a great story for the ages. It’s a religious think-tank/law firm, initially financed by some Brazilian yahoos tied to Opus Dei. It’s staff are exclusively lawyers. They’ve inserted themselves into all religion-adjacent cases, provided pro-bono help and even drafted some of the most hardcore legislation, including the anti-abortion laws.

Few weeks ago most of Ordo Juris splintered into a new organization, headed by the up-till-then second in command, one mr. Zych, who claimed the organization was too hardcore in pursuing its goals and that he always envisioned it as more of a forum of though exchange.

In response, the guy running the organization, mr. Kwasniewski, pointed out the was down to moral issues - namely, mr Zych having an extramarital affair with one of the org’s top female lawyers, Pawlowska herself married. Oh, also, Zych was a witness on Pawlowska’s wedding. He also got his teeth punched by Pawlowska’s furious husband when he arrived one day at the Ordo office. It’s also worth noting Pawlowska ran an online presence where she highlighted the virtue of being in a catholic relationship (until she didn’t).

This resulted in a new meme, based on a real wedding photo showing Zych in the middle and the then-happy couple in the middle.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Is Zych labeled as ... holy spirit?

Yes, because he impregnated Mary.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We can still talk about Ukraine and the impact of the war on EE here, that thread ober there is for direct Russia va Ukraine chat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We’re having a run on petrol stations in Poland, apparently. Morning was fine, by evening lines would backlog onto roads. I’m hearing this from people all over the country.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

According to analysis conducted by a media institute, the fuel price rise gossip in Poland that resulted in an afternoon run on stations was distributed by a network of 300 accounts previously tied to COVID disinformation.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There are hiccups in the fuel supply system, and apparently its due to social media disinformation brought to you by the same account groups that dealt with COVID disinformation. It’s not horrible - Yesterday I’d usually see one gas station with no gas, next one with premium only and the next one with normal supply and a 10-15 minute wait. There seems to be a lot of scorn among everyone towards people showing up with fuel drums to fill their own reserves, to the point where I think you’d get your rear end kicked if you did.

Also, some captain of the industry types tried gouging the price by increasing the prices on their petrol stations to to 10 PLN per litre. Apparently Orlen cut them out of their distribution network immediately. Oops.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

:hfive:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The controls on the Polish side took from 2 to 4 hours, including queuing, after you’re out from the Ukrainian side. There certainly was no free flow of anything or anyone (I know that’s not what you’re saying) BUT I did hear things might have been different on pedestrian crossings.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That’s great to see and hear!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a thread for it right here in D&D!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We’ve had a lit of goodwill in Poland towards Belarus and I don’t think there’s a connection between the Luka-Putin betrayal of Ukraine and the average Belarusian here. Someone did however mention Ukrainians refusing to work with Belorussians on the Warsaw subway.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lots of angry/drunk Ukrainians on the streets of downtown Warsaw tonight. The Russian embassy has been vandalized a tad on the outside, but I wonder how lo g before a molotov gets lobbed over the fence.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hey, I didn’t realize I’ve lost my PMs when I lost a toxx :/. I’ve emailed you!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like honorary EE member Finland opted to celebrate the conclusion to the ski jump competition in Lahti with * checks notes * paratroopers firing fireworks?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The olds in my side if the family have very much a “they had it coming” mindset (or “why wear such a short skirt”) without being pro Putin. There are some mental gymnastics there, but the gist seems to be Ukraine should have went through a break up after WWII along language/nationality lines, sort of what Batka was showing on his map a few days ago. My wife’s family on the other hand is perfectly sane.

I do think coming outright as #ISrandWithPutin would get you punched in the face. Even the usual Putin shills are nowhere to be seen or play the “see, everyone should have access to firearms!” alternative line.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

No idea what they have on him but shooting your own negotiators isn't a great look :v:

I imagine it was a “you’ll never take me alive, nazis!” type of situation

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Walking around downtown Warsaw today, the number of Ukrainians on the street is insane. It’s mostly teens and young people, acquainting with a new place. And then, just like a second ago on the subway, you’ll see them sitting on a bench crying.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Torrannor posted:

That's not at all unexpected, and still heartbreaking :(

You drove some Ukrainians from the border, didn't you? What language did you use to communicate?

Google translate mostly. One of the younger girls seemed to also understand a lot of Polish. I also called their older sister in Warsaw and she’d translate whatever I said on the car speaker system.

I was actually surprised how hard it was to understand Ukrainian for me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/marcobreso/status/1501201298762485761?s=20&t=almFKLnOtjxbs5RBNwrrAw

Sometimes this country is more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I hate Ziemkiewicz*. But let’s not forget his greatest day when he decided to send his daughter to the capital of western debauchery, the UK, and was denied entry and deported for extremism while he was taking her there to begin her studies.

* like many, Ziemkiewicz started out as a Sci-fi writer and evolved into a turbo racist shitheel “journalist”.