Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I would make an effort post on what’s up in Poland but I don’t have the gut for that mess. What a loving terrible mess of a country.

it's incredibly grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

barbecue at the folks posted:

I looked at what Guardian had to say and just sighed incredibly deep, I feel for all you Poles on this here forums :smith:

I'm not Polish, but lived here for 10 years and married to a pole. The political situation here has degraded a lot in that time and wasn't great to begin with. PiS and their apparatchiks at TVP are really some of the lowest, cruelest, most dishonest people I've ever seen in politics.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Not one, but two... two bills to put in law the protection of good name of Karol W., former head of the Vatican will be voted on in sejm. Or perhaps signed into law by acclamation?

Can't wait to go to jail for calling jp2 a kidfucker-advocate on twitter

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
hey while it's still legal for me to say, gently caress jp2 and gently caress the vatican

I think it's already illegal for me to tell duda to go gently caress himself so somebody else here will have to do it for me

As for the other thing, 15kpln is a decent chunk of change, well above the average monthly wage. It's not a huge amount of money but I think it's enough that if it's coming from a foreign bank it could trigger extra attention. For this sort of thing I always use revolut or transferwise and skip the bank (not an ad).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
thank you for the new thread title

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

alex314 posted:

I'm happy that all of 5 Poland-based posters noone ever tries to defend PiS. Fuckos got about 40% support from all those aligned parties. Guess we're very much not representative.
I'm at the stage where I completely tune out local news to have some sanity remaining. I found out about JP2137 bill from here.

I have major political disagreements with most all of my friends here, but one thing all of them agree on is Jebać PiS

edit: but nearly everyone I know lives in warsaw or krakow and half are foreigners

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 10, 2023

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Anne Frank Funk posted:

New pis narrative:

No one in the US desecrates the memory of Reagan

No one admonishes the founding fathers for owning slaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Aumanor posted:

No words can begin to describe how much I detest the climate of this miserable corner of the world.

I used to live in southern california

now i live in warsaw

the whiplash was pretty intense, but I got over it after 10 years (not really, winter is awful)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mobby_6kl posted:

If it was just winter... but like 5 if not 6 months of the year downright suck, and I'm not even a huge "outdoors" person.

And the darkness, the darkness. When I moved to Poland for work, my other option was Iceland, which I almost took... but I'm not used to this latitude and I just can't adjust to the insanely long nights in winter- I'm really glad I didn't take the Iceland job.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mokotow posted:

Food’s better too

Edit: unless you’re into fresh ocean,fish, and things salted and buried underground for a year i guess

Never been there but yeah I suspect the food is better here. Warsaw is a lot cheaper than reykjavik too.

I have mixed feelings about polish food; some really really great stuff, but will never understand the affinity for beets.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Darkness is something that's getting to me enough with the years that I'm half-seriously considering emigrating based on it alone. That said, moving into a flat with non-prison cell windows should help a great deal, too.

I have a great view in my apartment, no amount of windows will make the dark winters any more tolerable. My wife and I went through a really awful, traumatic thing last summer and both of us were incredibly greatful that it didn't happen in winter, both of us aknowledged that the darkness would have seriouly impacted our survivability (as a couple and as living human persons).

We're moving to the US next year to a place with a very similar climate, but a full extra hour and half of sunlight in winter!!!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mobby_6kl posted:

I hear a lot of chuds are leaving California, I need to go to there for the free real estate

Sadly, all the property is being bought up by investment banks to prevent the cost of real estate from dropping, they've adopted the debeers business model

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I mentioned this story to my (polish) wife, who hadn't heard it, but when I mentioned a weird private detective agency she immediately knew who I was talking about.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

TearsOfPirates posted:

So it's been humid + flash flood on the same day for the next few weeks on random days this month.

Looks like the Crikvenica flooding event I went through as a kid will become a daily occurance in in the summer.

gently caress that for real

I partially grew up in central texas, so I'm getting some real san antonio vibes from the weather- just 50% less.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RedSnapper posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't mind us benefitting from a bit more (non-sudden) rain.

Last year I was driving around southern Poland and, crossing a bridge over the Vistula, I saw shoals and islands, overgrown with grass (and even small trees) where there used to be none, just a decade ago.

Even up in Warsaw it's been low for a few years now, I haven't seen the water high there for 3 or 4 years.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mokotow posted:

It’s called Kloop? Amazing.

I absolutely don’t condone what they’re doing but I also see how negative psychological impact is a valid vector of attack.

Online news portals are few and absolutely massive in Poland. They fight ruthlessly for every click, using all possible ways of manipulation, from typical clickbait through to black ux patterns. They create an alternative narration to reality and they’re just not a great place to spend tine for people.

A (polish) friend of mine's father fell down the QAnon rabbit hole around the start of the pandemic. The man speaks no english at all, so it's clearly jumped the language barrier.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mokotow posted:

People around 60 are super prone to be influenced by this poo poo. My mom and her brother both speak English, having spent a few years as kids in Canada, but have otherwise no connections there, yet they spend hours listening to right wing US podcasts and YT shows and will proclaim Trump at dinner.

Different, but related phenomena:

I'm part of a facebook group for english speaking expats living in Warsaw. At one point we had to purge the member list and restart the group, because it was invaded by english speaking US citizens of Polish descent, living *in the US*, who joined the group to post anti-black, anti-semetic, and anti-everybody-who-doesn't-vote-PiS memes, many of which were in Polish. So it seems, at least from this experience, that there's some sort of community of US based ethnic poles who eat a steady diet of TVP (and radio maria or whatever else) in addition to whatever rascist american poo poo they consume.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mokotow posted:

One of these situations where I read Polish news on the Guardian instead of finding out about it from the local media :shrug:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/12/polish-tv-talent-show-contestants-use-blackface-for-kendrick-lamar-beyonce-performances

Doing blackface while screaming the n-word is sure a look.

Reminds me of the festival where Poles dress up as Americans.

https://mymodernmet.com/4th-of-july-larp-poland/

This show has blackface on it every time I've seen it.

It reminds me of a situation a few years ago. I went to a party, mixed foreigners and poles, and at one point someone put on the TV and there was some charity concert. As part of the show, some polish folks were wearing cooly hats, eyes taped back, plastic buck-teeth, coke-bottle glasses, full on hard-core yellowface. The orchestra started playing what I can only describe as "ching chong bing bong" music.

One of the poles stood in front of the TV and addressed the party-goers, she said, "Please, I ask you to not judge us too badly for this, in Poland we don't know that this is racist yet."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Xarn posted:

Like the world at large thinks about Czechia :v:

It's a neighboring country I've visited several times and I don't even have any stereotypes about it. I guess I kinda feel like it's probably... nice enough?

And yet I do think of Slovakia as "worse Czechia" somehow

EDIT: If I have any impression of Czechia I sort of think of it as Poland with fewer christofascists, but I don't even know if that's accurate.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Really really hoping for the best in the elections, really really bracing for the worst.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Mokotow posted:

Loving the totally not racist border control experience on the Warsaw-Berlin express this morning. Train border by the Bundes something or other in full commando garb, dudes walking down the carriage looking for brown people. My compartment ignored - lone fat white dude - but two Vietnamese ladies in the next compartment greeted with a lovely “AUSWEIS” (not even a “bitte”). German ticket guy checks my ticket, I reach for my ID and he just smiles like “naaah”. I felt like in that SNL Eddie Murphy sketch going incognito between white people.

I used to ride the bus between Albuquerque and San Antonio to visit my family and I know this experience well. Bus gets pulled over, BPD dogs board, everyone with skin darker than a particular shade gets out a stack of documents but the white folks don't even wake up from their naps.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

OddObserver posted:

EU is in fact a defense pact, among other things, but it's unclear if it would be able to defend itself w/o American help.. .

I'm not an international military expert or anything, but who could challenge a european defensive alliance? Russia probably couldn't take Poland without nukes, much less France and Germany. (and france has nukes)

this is assuming it wouldn't fall apart (I think the response to ukraine shows that it would hold together at least long enough to make an agressor state think twice) or through some sort of irregular warfare to disrupt politics in the baltics or something like that. But, at least from TYOOL 2023 I can't imagine russian tanks pushing into berlin.

I mean, check in again in a few years obviously... who knows what will happen to the EU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Xerxes17 posted:

"How many Poles does it take to change a TV station?"

My FiL (formerly of TVP, but not the PiS version) replied "12 million"

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

steinrokkan posted:

There's this pervasive delusion in the czech republic that polish food, as in polish groceries (meat, wheat, potatoes, whatever), is cheap inferior garbage and that we must protect domestic producers of Honest FoodTM by boycotting imports of polish stuff. :ignorance:

Polish produce is pretty good, by my standards at least. Polish cuisine leaves a lot to be desired. (I may be biased since it's christmas season and polish christmas food is borderline inedible)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Largest minority in the country. And for a long time now.

One of my favorite facts about the world is that most aluminum is mined from china and australia, shipped to iceland where it's refined by a mostly important polish labour force, then shipped to SE asia to be turned into cans airplane parts or siding or whatever.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
if you don't eat 3 then god gets mad at you

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I miss my Piotr i Pawel so bad.

it's a eurospar now (and i moved to the suburbs anyway)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mawarannahr posted:

Seems quite probable that the body would have livor mortis.
Livor Mortis - an overview

More from Wikipedia. Be warned if you copy and paste this URL; there is a picture of a dead body illustrating this phenomenon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livor_mortis

e: BTW, where does it say head and chest? I cannot find those words.

Livor mortis can look like bruises, but bruises don't typically look like livor mortis, at least in my experience. I would hope a paramedic would be able to tell the difference.

I'm not suggesting *anything* about this particular case because it's 100% assured that the kremlin and others are already flooding the infosphere with conflicting and incompatible stories to make it impossible for anyone to make up their mind about anything, and honestly it's exausting (which is the point).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Like, not to be that guy, but why do we have to assume putin killed navalny as some sort of 4d chess move, and not just that he threw the guy in an awful prison system and had him mistreated and probably tortured? I mean, putin still had the man killed, but I don't know why we should assume that the timing was planned.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I'm not suggesting anything about his responsibility, it's clear that the responsibility is on him. I'm suggesting that the conversation shouldn't immediately leap to assuming that putin is a mastermind and it's all part of the plan.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

burnishedfume posted:

I think what Compte de Saint-Germain is getting at isn't whether or not Putin is responsible for the death (which they agree, he is) but rather the motivation for the death being more mundane and internal (ex: just tying up loose ends) rather than trying to virtue signal to KSA and UAE.

Yes, thank you, I wish I had been more clear.

EDIT: Also, this is a guy who recently had a mercenary coup. Assuming this has more do with THE GREAT GAME rather than some complex domestic situation that's basically impenetrable to outsiders.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 20, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bright Bart posted:

I don't plan on making any large electronics purchases anytime very soon, but in case something needs to be replaced on short notice: I'm wondering how sketchy are the online only electronics retailers that have no physical locations but are listed on Ceneo, like Sferis or Morele? They sell new electronics for sometimes 20-40% what you find at MediaMarkt or X-Com. But that is hardly compensation if they end up being lemons or repackaged returns/display models.

I've had mixed experiences here when I bought from the really small retailers. I've gotten plenty of things with the safety seal broken ("so we could turn it on and make sure it works fine") sometimes noted somewhere in the fine print and other times not mentioned until I already had it in my hands and called them about it. I once also got a phone that was technically new but it was clearly intended for the SE Asian market because it had Vietnamese when booting up for the first time (and came with instructions on how to switch the language to Polish by clicking a number of buttons this way then that way.

Recently had to file a criminal complaint against one of these sorts of retailers, who sold me a switch but never sent it, just endless notes about delays in restock until they stopped responding to my emails entirely.

While I was at the police station I saw a ukrainian lady trying to file a complaint against her ex-boyfriend who had been threatening to murder her, the cop at the desk pretended to not be able to understand her accent and kept telling her to speak polish (she was) until she left. acab!

after she left I could hear the cop in the back laughing with his cop buddies about it, looooool

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 26, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bright Bart posted:

My part of the country just now [you know what it is but don't say it outright I've doxxed myself enough talking about work and my publications] has excellent tap water. Stellar.

There was a campaign to get people to drink it instead of buying bottled water. And to ask for it in restaurants. The restaurants were enccouraged to put up signs in turn encouraging you to ask for tap water, and places like coffee shops and obiady domowe were asked to have pitchers and glasses out for self serving. They would get tax incentives to make up for revenue lost on selling bottled still water.

The result? I have no clue. But at least a few people got turned off government water. They were suspicious. If it's fine than why are you spending so much convincing me it's fine?

My wife, lifelong warszawian, refuses to drink tap water unless it's been boiled or run through a filter. It makes no sense!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Hard water tastes much better and is more pleasant to drink.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

alex314 posted:

Cringey McBoomerface

Jon Stewart is pretty much square in the middle of gen x

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

alex314 posted:

He was born in 1962, so he's late boomer.

chronologically maybe, but not culturally

the guy was the host of short attention span theater, hung out with janeane garofalo, and was in half baked, the guy is gen x

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mobby_6kl posted:

You're asking if I voluntarily watched an Adam Sandler movie?

Uncut Gems is a seriously amazing movie, don't count out adam sandler

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Meat and produce mostly tastes better in Poland imo than in the US, with the exception of beef & bacon. The beef here just doesn't have the full, rich flavor of american beef, and the bacon is just all wrong and far inferior. Though the US, being the heart of empire, has a much much much bigger selection.

Beef & Roll, one of the local (Warsaw) food-truck/restaurants, used to import their beef from the US and it was incredible- but that was almost a decade ago. Since then I think they are using EU beef and the burgers just aren't nearly as good, in addition to all the normal quality problems that come when an establishment branches out from a single location to dozens.

Meat: Pork is better in poland, the rest is equivalent or inferior.
Produce: Mixed, smaller selection, but it's a lot easier to get farm-fresh stuff at markets in the city than in most of the US.
Bread: No contest, Poland takes the crown easily, lapping the US many times over.
Cheese & Dairy: Poland is cheese impoverished, but I do like Korycinskie and that grilled mountain cheese.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 4, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Rinkles posted:

Can’t say I agree about the bacon. It’s one of the things I try to buy at Polish stores (I’m in NJ) because it’s so much better. Maybe I need to try fancier American bacon because what I’ve eaten really doesn’t compare.

Maybe they are shipping the good stuff to the US, but any bacon I've ever had here* hasn't been salty enough and doesn't crisp up properly, it's always kind of wet and flaccid.

*I actually had some GREAT bacon this morning at a place in Warsaw called SERSO in praga. Delicious bagels, which is also a rarity in Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bright Bart posted:

Bagels aren't the best in Poland but I don't really blame anyone for that.

well i think herr hitler may deserve a lot of the blame