Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Somaen posted:

Yeah, they are screwed. No idea what they can do short term, but they are also the friendliest countries w/r/t Russia so bullying them is a bad idea compared to bullying Poland and the Baltics which were already hostile. Though Putin's current act is putting russia-understanders in a very awkward place and inshallah this will force the countries to look for alternatives

Too bad that there's a perfectly fine carbon neutral energy source that for example France utilizes heavily, but is for unfortunate reasons not the most populous energy source in many parts of the world. Primarily due to a thing happening in EE.

What's the verdict about the EU sanctions on Poland? I understand that simply subtracting the court imposed daily fines from the usual payouts to Poland hasn't been too painful yet, but I've read that Duda is sounding more conciliatory about the justice issue at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Like an important ally of Orban getting busted for violating Brussel's anti-Covid measures when the police caught him at an underground gay orgy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lol, also wtf for LIechtenstein, San Marino and Monaco. What's wrong with these places?? I know it's not EE, but Monaco is basically just one city, how is the LGBTQ situation so bad there? Aristocrats... evil??

I'm very positively surprised by Montenegro, what's the story there?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if Orban will be as willing to turn aside Ukrainian refugees as he (and lots of other EU states) were willing to turn aside ME refugees.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Is the thread decontaminated now, can topics actually relevant to EE right here and now be discussed here?

Sure, it's been decontaminated for a while now. What would you like to discuss?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alex314 posted:

In the dark days of 1980s Poland I remember going to buy a specific newspapers just for it's softer paper.
Some more informal info from PL/UA border: supposedly men aren't let out of Ukraine. On Polish side it looks to be under control, with most people having some relatives or friends waiting for them.

I've seen a tweet mention that Zelensky's latest mobilization order forbade fighting age men from leaving Ukraine. That could be the reason why they aren't let men cross the border.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Doesn't anti-Russian sentiment run pretty deep in some parts of EE? I doubt world leaders making it clear that Putin is at fault and not the entire Russian people (which is a fact) will help much to defuse the tension. Although it can't hurt, of course.

Some Baltic states have significant Russian speaking minorities as well, right? How's the situation there? If the Russian minority is mainly consuming Russian state media, they will have a pretty warped perspective of the invasion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Given the recent news about a possibly realistic chance for Ukraine to join the EU, I though about something I read that rampant corruption was one of the biggest issues in Ukraine before the war broke out. And I remember that our media claims the EU is responsible for big reductions in corruption in many EE states following them joining the Union. Was that really the case, and if yes, was the EU a main driver or was it just a natural process of going from a communist economy to a globally integrated capitalist economy?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Edit: Let me try to make this a coherent post.

How did Cyprus join in 2004 then? Settled disputes is an obvious condition when it comes to disputes with EU member states, which is why Turkey is not moving anywhere. Moldova I don't know much about in this regard, but I don't think it has any major disputes with any EU member.

IIRC, Cyprus' accession was a special case. The EU was heavily involved in getting an island wide reunification referendum going, and at some point promised to let Cyprus join no matter the outcome of said referendum. In a move that was then obvious in hindsight, the Greek Cypriots decided to have their cake and eat it, too. By voting down the unification referendum, while the Turkish Cypriots approved it. The EU was pretty disappointed by that. But in a way, there's no territorial dispute, since the Cyprus that did join the EU apparently doesn't want that territory (and importantly, the people living there...)

Can Georgia even join? Where does the EU define the borders of Europe, since non-European states can't join the Union.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mmkay posted:

Can you expand on this point - why was it obvious and why was it desirable to Greek Cypriots? To spite-deny Turkey access to EU?

The Greek part of the island has considerably higher GDP/capita than the Turkish part. I can't be bothered to look up the 2004 numbers, but the GPD/capita of the Republic of Cyprus is currently twice as high as that of Northern Cyprus. And in a modern nation state with a functioning social safety net, reunification would have automatically resulted in wealth transfers from the Greeks to the Turks on the island in the form of subsidies, etc. There are some grumblings about such transfers in Germany from the former West German to the former East German parts. Imagine how much less willing people with different ethnicity and religion are to engage in such transfers, especially since they had an armed conflict in living memory.

Looking up the referendum result on wikipedia:

wikipedia posted:

While it was approved by 65% of Turkish Cypriots, it was rejected by 76% of Greek Cypriots. Turnout for the referendum was high at 89% among Greek Cypriots and 87% among Turkish Cypriots, which was taken as indicative of great interest in the issue on the part of the electorates

So it wasn't even close in the Greek part.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xerxes17 posted:

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1500074642865852421

So uh, this guy got capped by the SBU. I Would Like to Know More about who he was and other background context. I figure asking here is better than in the conflict thread.

That's quite the charge, but if they had listened in to telephone calls as the article alleges, they were probably on firm ground. I have no further insight, but luckily our thread IK knows these things. Thanks, cinci zoo sniper. But if he's connected to Yanukovych, I wonder why he was part of the negotiation team in the first place?

Edit: Page snipe, here's the answer to the question:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Supposedly connected to Yanukovych via small-time oligarchs of his era.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mokotow posted:

Walking around downtown Warsaw today, the number of Ukrainians on the street is insane. It’s mostly teens and young people, acquainting with a new place. And then, just like a second ago on the subway, you’ll see them sitting on a bench crying.

That's not at all unexpected, and still heartbreaking :(

You drove some Ukrainians from the border, didn't you? What language did you use to communicate?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It should also be noted that no matter what happens, there won't be a fast EU membership for Ukraine. Being part of the EU requires specific legal structures in the member countries, and those requirements simply can't be waived.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

szary posted:

On the other hand, this is still being built in the middle of a pristine forest, despite the fact that the people who gave the go ahead are on trial on corruption charges.

Are they building a medieval style fortress in the middle of a forest? :confused:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is that from HoMM3??

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

tell me you're straight without telling me you're straight

This. Eurovision is iconic, and very, very gay. It's also great when certain EE countries get aneurysms with how gay it is (looking at you, Russia and Hungary!). And I well remember when Russia sent those twin girls who actually put up a pretty good performance, but the year was 2014 and they got absolutely crushed in the popular vote. I strongly suspect this year will be no different, which is cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, you also have some kind of non-losers you could theoretically send to Eurovision?

Wow, savage.

I totally forgot that Russia was banned by the EBU, but it's probably for the best. Betting markets have Ukraine at number one, and the song is actually decent. I'm very much looking forward to the first semi final this evening.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hilarious. It's not that obvious sometimes, but the "plaid" part would have given it away for me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Somaen posted:

This gives me the idea to ask the local georgian restaurants where they source their good stuff

================
In honor of pride week
https://twitter.com/nikicaga/status/1532075364075200512

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

despite this somehow i already knew what was gonna be in the clickthrough :D

I wasn't thinking ahead and legit chuckled when I saw the twist.

By the way, if they are posting all the individual LGBTQ+ flags, then that's not the correct gay (male) flag, this is the gay flag:

https://twitter.com/lgbtqiaotuk/status/1404701145382203392?lang=en

The rainbow flag is for all LGBTQ+ people.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway, yesterday I went to an Iron Maiden show that I've had a ticket for since 2019. There's no way those blue and yellow colors have been there all along, right? :)

Those look too close to a flag, and not enough like random clouds, so I'd guess this new and intentional.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

a podcast for cats posted:

Got my mail vote ballots for the Latvian parliamentary election today. I mentioned it to my Polish colleagues and they claim to be mildly jealous, as apparently Poland is making it really hard for the diaspora/absentee voters to vote from abroad. I don't know why that surprised me.

Cinci, how's the effortpost coming along?

Just the impression I get, but I've seen several countries with conservative/right wing governments make it harder for overseas citizens to vote, on account of such voters usually being more left wing than the average population.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VSOKUL girl posted:

damnit, go figure, they actually escalate for once. my big vacation plans keep getting hosed:

- me in 2019: i would like to do a big trip through Poland/Ukraine/Belarus
- me in 2020: okay, pandemic aside, looks like the whole Belarus leg of that's not gonna work out
- me in 2021: well, Ukraine leg's probably screwed too, guess i could go do Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, finish going up the Pamir Highway
- me in 2022: darn, well, hopefully the recent GBAO issues will cool down
- me now: gently caress it, i should go to Japan instead. Japan's usually fine.

The Balkans haven't blown up recently, why not make travel plans to go there?

On second thought, please don't :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What is Iran's relationship with Azerbaijan? I would think they would have some concerns about Azerbaijan successfully expanding its borders through military means given that the majority of Azeris live inside Iran. Particularly as Azerbaijan has good relations with both Israel and Turkey.

Iirc, Iran's military is a clear step above Azerbaijan's, so they might be pretty relaxed about the whole affair?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VSOKUL girl posted:

despite the earlier fruit pyramid gift, Rahmon is MAD. Putin is doodling.

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1581023660189822976

This seems pretty significant. What a fall for Putin to have to sit there and get lectured like a school boy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I still think HoMM3 is the best, but imho HoMM6 is the second best. Much better than 4 and 5 in any case!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mr. Apollo posted:

That looks like the “beef salad” my Romanian friend makes around the holidays. Is that what it is?

It's "beef salad" (Fleischsalat) in German, too. Only, nobody would ever put it on a pizza! (I hope :ohdear:)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2022/12/19/russia-ukraine-live-news-serious-damage-after-attack-on-kyiv

quote:

Moldova fears new Russian push towards breakaway east in 2023
Moldova’s spy chief said there was a “very high” risk of a new Russian offensive towards his country’s east next year, and that Moscow is still aiming to secure a land corridor through Ukraine to the breakaway Moldovan region of Transnistria.

The comments by Alexandru Musteata, head of the Information and Security Service, echo recent messages out of Ukraine where top army generals have warned in recent days of the threat of a major Russian offensive early next year.

“The question is not whether the Russian Federation will undertake a new advance towards Moldova’s territory, but when it will do so,” Musteata told the TVR-Moldova television channel.

He said his agency believed Russia was looking at several scenarios to reach Moldova and that it was possible an offensive would be launched in January or February, or later in March or April.

Honestly, this always seems like the next step for Russia. Although it would be easier if they controlled the parts of Ukraine bordering Moldova. But right now their troops are just stationed in the breakaway part of Moldova without getting them much in return. Absorb those parts of the country plus take a bite out of the rest before they can get some form of security guarantee from the rest of Europe/NATO/the US.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 19, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is amazing on so many levels.

Smallithuania

Ukraine being unaligned, but Crimea being part of the European Alliance (and no longer under Russian control)

Austroslovakia

Robmania

The Scots apparently conquering the rest of the UK, apart from NI which joins the Republic

Bulgreece

The Yugo-Danish Union!!!

I hope you posted this in the politically loaded maps thread, op!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alex314 posted:

I think those "Non-aligned" is some shorthand for "boooooring" instead of Yuuge Smallithuania. Has Germany border moved?

Not that I can see, the borders look to be unchanged.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Who would have thought that Batka could actually return the favor from when Putin saved him from losing power?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A quick search shows PiS being projected to be the strongest party again, is there any real hope they get ousted?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
IF you lay claim to Finland, it's strange that you would be willing to let Russia retain the parts of Finland it took.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bright Bart posted:

I love love a Finn comfortable enough in their own skin to contribute to Eastern Europe talk. Same goes for an East German. Technically the former is Northern and the latter is Central like most of us here. But who are we kidding if West and East are the only options?

I was born in East Germany but have lived in the Western part of Germany most of my life now, do I get to post here, too?

I need to lose some pounds, so I started with the oatmeal again, and it's always a pleasant surprise that you have so many options to make it taste great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really enjoy reading the road trip reports, this is so much fun.

By the way, what's with the invasion of sci-fi Clinton avatars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This sounds sketchy, but on the other hand, it would be quite mental if there were really some underground rye flake business. Keep us posted!