Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Right now the funniest part is that Luka is supposed to have a meeting with Putin during the week to discuss WHEN rusdian troops will leave Belarus. Wow. Fucken batka fought for every russian advance to have maximum cost hosed up everything and will now fly to Russia to beg them to leave, ask when will they leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

alex314 posted:

On a topic of local EE products: I've bought a table in a furniture shop, and found out that it was made in Belarus when it was delivered. Pretty surprising considering how much of furniture is made in Poland. Nice thing about it was the best manual I've ever seen in any furniture product I've ever assembled. The worst was a folding bed/sofa where I had to find a loving company catalogue to see how the end product should look like.

Borisovdrev are good at their jobs. I think they made some stuff for ikea before the whole disaster. You want pine, oak bed, whatever? You got it.

Our gdp is made not from natural rent like russia but from actual work and being good. Thats what makes me hate lukashenko the most, that he has no idea where money comes from and other belarusians who loving toil regardless

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hilarious part is that Lukashenko wasnt informed at all, in advance. He apparently got a call from Putin at 5 in the morning. Right now they are attacking Ukraine from BY territory and he is only calling security council meeting to decide something. Everything was decided without you, friendo.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Our woreign ministry is hilarious. Advised belarusian citizens to leave Ukraine, good job everyone. Good timing now that all flights are cancelled and there is fighting on belarusian border.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

My GF's brother was able to reach Poland after a day (24 hrs) at the border. Ukraine border guards were furious when they saw a Belarusian passport, threatened to shoot them, threatened to send them to Belarusian border to get killed by their own. Ultimately had to bribe them to be allowed into Poland in peace.

Also pretty loving chilling to hear his stories of driving through multiple blockposts on the way there with Belarusian license plates and having weapons aimed at them all the time. I can't really blame Ukranians for their anger, yet the dude barely escaped Lukashenko, now has to run again and is being sort of punished for Luka's actions while just trying to run away from him

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ, coupling this with the South African stories from earlier, some of these Ukrainian guards sound tough to deal with.

Also, I have some general questions about Belarus that I'm curious about.

Since from what I understand you are Belarussian, do you mind if I ask you some questions or do you not want to waste your time on a goon's inquiries?

Ask away

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Well:

- Does Lukashenko have any notable support? Like I heard about that online poll where he had a 3% approval rating but that's an online poll. Is he really that hated?

Paladinus answered that one. Also, he is much more structured thinker than I so he is better off answering those honestly.

quote:

- I'm sure you've seen that graph that shows GDP of post Soviet nations over time with Ukraine at the bottom, Russia barely above 0%, but Poland, Romania, and Belarus flying high. Is this somewhat accurate? Like has Belarus's economy really grown and has that resulted in quality of life improvements?

Not sure what graph you talk about but the fact alone that Lithuania that is about 1/4 of our size and 1/3 of our population is close to our gdp should tell a lot. Quality of life, sure there were definitely quality of life improvements.

quote:

- People say the country didn't go through "shock therapy" like other Iron Curtain countries did. Does Belarus have some state capitalism economy similar to China with like half the economy being state owned?

Yes, exactly except with much more mismanagement.

quote:

- Just how much of a puppet state is Belarus of Russia, and if it is a total puppet state why has the nation's economy been strong (looking from the outside) while Russia's has been a wetfart?

Lukashenko used to be a sort of ally from hell that often argued with Putin, milked russia for money while pretending to be closer with the west. 2020 protests undermined his power to the point of full puppet I think. As for economy, is is subsidised by russia by cheap gas and crude oil that we refine and sell.

quote:

- What would you say the average Belarussian wants from their country?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured I might as well get them out of the way.

Just get those ghouls out of the way so we can try to build a decent nation in peace. So much good was wasted and so much potential lost.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OddObserver posted:

It's an LDPR bill, supposedly. So it's probably the usual crazy-for-show, but who the heck knows these days.

Edit: confirmation: https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/20...ykh-aktsii-news

Peskov said he doesn't like the bill. He said military service should be an honourable duty and a privilege.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Funny story from Belarus, there is no point here, just an obsetvation. A friend of mine is a rugby player, which is not officially supported team. They roll with their own saving and aid from european federation. So, once they received a notice from same federation being banned from tournaments for Belarus being co belligerent, they are not in any shape to participate anyway due to captain and other player of mens team and captain of womens team being in jail for protesting the war

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Why is the dictator of Belarus sometimes named as Lukashenka and other times as Lukashenko? I've noticed some people will use both seemingly interchangeably, but I don't think I ever saw Lukashenka before the current conflict. I remember in the case of Gadaffi it was that his name was spelled with a Q in standard written arabic but pronounced with a G in libyan spoken arabic, which made it unclear how best to transliterate the name. Something similar here, or some other reason?

Lukashenka is Belarusian phonetic rules, LukashenkO is Russian.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Not sure whether to be impressed or terrified. The ministry of transportation definitely seems so utterly bizarre, if impressive.

Imo its a fairly clever use of landscape. Tbilisi has a problem with real estate due to being constricted by pretty steep mountains/hills. In this area you have to get used that entrance from one side of the building is from the 1st floor and like 4th from the other.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am a bit weirded out by sudden flux of praise of Belarusians by Ukraine. Either we really done a good job by railway sabotage or trying to undo the damage of Zelensky speech back in march. It honestly felt kind of crappy how he adressed Belarusian citizens as traitors to UA-BY brotherhood while being the only non russian president in the neighbourhood who refused to meet Tikhanovskaya and only stopped trading with belarus regime like 1 week after the war started.

Anyway Arestovich said that Kalinovsky batallion are some sort of gods on the battlefield and bloggers saying "while russians post comments complaining how impossible it is to fight the regime belarusians just do (burn relay boxes)"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Belarus just approved death penalty for attempts at terrorism which now includes rail sabotage

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Do we have any Georgians? I'm ending up in the land of the Golden fleece for a bit. I only speak English and Russian, so it's going to be interesting to see how their ESL is there as I don't wanna get stabbed to death and don't know how well I can pick up the martian dialect of sumerian. Will post khachapuri

I am a Belarusian living in Georgia for 6 months. EN and RU are the most common non local languages here, so dont worry.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

She was invited to a political debate show tonight, “Kas notiek Latvijā?” (What’s up with Latvia?). Highlights so far:
- If we demolish the monument, Putin will invade (is she celebrating under duress or what then?)
- Using a tractor was a deliberate provocation (lol & lmao, also it’s how the flower removal was done normally)
- Victory Day celebration has artistic value (as in, it’s a protected class of events. Don’t ask, I don’t get it either)
- “All tears matter”
- She doesn’t actually even like the concrete (the monument)
- What about people singing Wehrmacht songs on March 16? (As if that’s an excuse, also people are saying that they sing Latvian songs there)
- People donning Ukrainian colours were provocateurs

Do people really sing wehrmacht songs in Latvia?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Baltics is the hope for us all. Lithuania who I always felt as a distant cousin who is ashamed of us turned out a true brother in 2020, were the engine of entire EU response who wanted to "express concern" as usual. I just wanna kiss you all.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Lol

Congratulations to France for their victory over their own nuclear energy

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 2, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

”old gods” is an expression used to refer to pre-Christian gods so I assumed that “old believers” were their followers.

No, they are christian orthodox who reject Peter I reforms

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Germany decided "gently caress it, lets just screw over everyone over gas" and deport Azerbaijani activists who are promptly arrested.

https://news.zerkalo.io/world/18042.html

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Seems like they started deporting people to Azerbaijan last year already. I don't believe that German government could be so far sighted that they could see in June 2021 that Nordic Stream II wouldn't be completed and in full action now. In any case, that is Scheisse.

You seem to be a German, why is this happening?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I was genuinly curious. Thanks for the explanation

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, the russians made a deepfake tv show with Keanu Reeves and Jason Stathem.
https://youtu.be/963RktwsREo

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I accidentalyy wore white-red-white today when I wen to buy cigarettes. Which under current laws is "extremism". I did not meet any cops but people stared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hey, Lithuanians, why not just kill us? Dig a huge hole and throw us into it. It makes sense, no?