Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OddObserver posted:

Which means it's near certainly going to get much higher :(

I'm not sure who these folks are but these numbers sound a lot more realistic to me, given 2 earthquakes comparable to 1999 over a massive region with awful construction
https://twitter.com/risklayer/status/1622728877868191744

Btw I encourage discussion about this everywhere as much as possible of course, but I hope people consider Syria too, and of course the large Kurdish and Arab populations straddling the region.
Pics from nyt showing affected areas for each quake respectfully:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/02/06/world/turkey-earthquake-damage.html

I'll post this in the ME thread too I guess.

It's so bad!!! Don't look on social media for posts made by people stuck underneath as they were making them, horrible screams.
:(

E: EE-wise, Ukraine and Russia have offered support. Some Russian planes have been dispatched
https://twitter.com/ravi4bharat/status/1622646624265568272

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia also seems to be considering doing a quick law change to allow draft soldiers be sent on humanitarian missions abroad. If that goes further than talking, they could send some army engineering cadets/digging equipment to help with clearing works too.

That would be welcome and a better use of soldiers

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a podcast for cats posted:

This happens a whole loving lot with international remittances, because the sanction lists banks screen against are incredibly imprecise.

Wise, Xoom, Remitly are all decent (which is not saying a lot) options and are usually cheaper than international wires, but ultimately the compliance gods still need their sacrifice.

Xoom? What a blast from the past
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xoom_(web_hosting)

quote:

Xoom was an early dot-com company that provided free unlimited space web hosting, similar to GeoCities. The domain "xoom.com" is now held by the Xoom Corporation, an international-focused money transfer website run by PayPal.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Apollo posted:

Supposedly Navalny's body has been found in a morgue near the Arctic Circle with bruising on the head and chest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alexei-navalny-body-missing-death-russia-putin-prison-b2498156.html

Seems quite probable that the body would have livor mortis.
Livor Mortis - an overview

www.sciencedirect.com posted:

## Immediate Postmortem Changes

Joris Meurs, in Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences, Third Edition, 2023

### Livor mortis

Postmortem lividity (livor mortis) is the settling of blood in the lowest part of the body due to gravity. This process immediately starts at the onset of death since the blood is no longer actively pumped through the body. The blood will start pressing on the skin leaving red/purple marks on the body. The first signs of livor mortis can be observed after approximately 1 h after death, reaching its maximum around 2–4 h. At this time point the blood is still liquid allowing the marks the removed once pressure is relieved. After, 9–12 h the marks caused by settling of the blood are permanent (Goff, 2009).

More from Wikipedia. Be warned if you copy and paste this URL; there is a picture of a dead body illustrating this phenomenon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livor_mortis

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

Livor mortis (Latin: līvor – "bluish color, bruise", mortis – "of death"), postmortem lividity (Latin: postmortem – "after death", lividity – "black and blue"), hypostasis (Greek: ὑπό, hypo, meaning "under, beneath"; στάσις, stasis, meaning "a standing"[1][2]) or suggillation, is the second stage of death and one of the signs of death. It is a settling of the blood in the lower, or dependent, portion of the body postmortem, causing a purplish red discoloration of the skin. When the heart stops functioning and is no longer agitating the blood, heavy red blood cells sink through the serum by action of gravity. The blood travels faster in warmer conditions and slower in colder conditions.

Livor mortis starts in 20–30 minutes, but is usually not observable by the human eye until two hours after death. The size of the patches increases in the next three to six hours. Fixation will begin to occur during this timeframe, causing the patches to be unaltered due to movement. Maximum lividity will occur between eight and twelve hours after death. Areas of blood pooling in contact with the ground will blanch, or remain white.[3] The blood pools into the interstitial tissues of the body. The intensity of the color depends upon the amount of reduced haemoglobin in the blood. The discoloration does not occur in the areas of the body that are in contact with the ground or another object, in which capillaries are compressed.[4]

e: BTW, where does it say head and chest? I cannot find those words.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 19, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thank you for the link. I couldn't find that information in the original link.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kikas posted:

The support of the majority is a wrong perspective here, he has the apathy of the majority. Years upon years of corruption, strongarming and oligarchy, on top of massive economical disparities have made most of the public indifferent to the results of the election and content to look down in front of their feet, so they don't trip. They vote for Putin but don't actually care about that, it's just "well we're not dead yet, the guy can stay in the office" most of the time, as a change on top wouldn't really be a "change" at the bottom. So why stick out your neck? The outcome is already decided.

Why is turnout increased if this is the case?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah but Czechia is the West of the East, Netherlands are the North of the West, Estonia is the North of the East, Denmark is the Central of the North, Austria is the South of the Central, and Serbia is the East of the South.

What's the Midwest of Europe?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I really like these massive sourdoughs you can buy chunks off of at the market, but have not had any in ages

However, I am legally required to acknowledge this as the greatest bread in Easternmost Europe

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mokotow posted:

In Albania today and every town, village and city has a dude banging on a drum by the side of the road. Is this some sort of an occasion or is Albania really into street drums?

It's Eid al fitr maybe it's that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

I searched the text, you nailed it, they think everyone posting in here is from the USA -- just like them.

It's projection.

Caveat: Canadian expat living in Denmark here, so interested in events just to the east.

Yep, this is it. Classic Freud!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

don't think it's gotten mentioned much here but Georgia is having some fun times (with some bonus getting reposted by idiot american audience infoshum accounts as "look at this gaza protest going off the rails!" mislabeled contemporaneous content) re the russia-aligned ruling Georgian Dream party trying to (again) run a lookalike "foreign agent" bill through parliament and generally walking away from the EU. the population of Tbilisi has been rather unhappy about this

https://twitter.com/xonoda/status/1785405994853355702

https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1785395856344031488

https://eurasianet.org/perspectives-georgian-dreams-doublethink-may-backfire-in-tbilisi

https://eurasianet.org/georgia-draft-law-would-negate-30-plus-years-of-work-to-promote-rule-of-law-activists

this comes ahead of parliamentary elections later this year

Why

don't think it's gotten mentioned much here but Georgia is having some fun times (with some bonus getting reposted by idiot american audience infoshum accounts as "look at this gaza protest going off the rails!" mislabeled contemporaneous content) re the russia-aligned ruling Georgian Dream party trying to (again) run a lookalike "foreign agent" bill through parliament and generally walking away from the EU. the population of Tbilisi has been rather unhappy about this

https://twitter.com/xonoda/status/1785405994853355702

https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1785395856344031488

https://eurasianet.org/perspectives-georgian-dreams-doublethink-may-backfire-in-tbilisi

https://eurasianet.org/georgia-draft-law-would-negate-30-plus-years-of-work-to-promote-rule-of-law-activists

this comes ahead of parliamentary elections later this year

I don't get why this is a bad thing other than the NGOs saying "we might look bad." It seems like a good idea and similar laws exist or are being enacted elsewhere eg EU (EU ‘foreign agents’ law spooks NGOs). Why is transparency a bad thing?

In summary one of those articles describes the dangers as thus

quote:

Leaders of each of the above-mentioned groups told Eurasianet that they are fearful for the future of their respective organizations, either because they will refuse to self-identify as agents of foreign influence, as would be required by law, or they expect to be targeted if they declare their funding sources.

Which isn't really explaining why transparency in this instance is actually bad and not a fairly ordinary or even good thing.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 1, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Morrow posted:

Foreign Agent laws in Russia were used to shut down human rights groups and non-governmental organizations with the goal of dismantling civil society and crushing all political activity. Georgia's law is basically going to provide the same toolset.

OK, how, and how is it different from other countries, and why is Georgia like Russia and not like other countries with transparency laws? The articles only go into how it might make some NGOs look bad but the only real danger mentioned is that some will choose to shut down than be transparent about their funding.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the stated aim of a law doesn't necessarily entail its actual effects. if you've watched the practical application of the similar russian (and now kyrgyz as well) law mainly being used to quash a developing civil society, it's quite reasonable not to want it

such law also hits a bit different if you already have large and robust economy and the domestic NGO funding sources that come with it (which is the case for the EU) than if you don't (as is the case for Georgia)

The article you linked about Kyrgyzstan just describes the potential harm of NGOs deciding to shut down to avoid "bureaucratic hassle." Do you have anything after the fact? Also, wouldn't Russian sources of funding be revealed as well?

I for one would be fully in favor of this in Turkey.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fwiw the Kyrgyzstan link proved above, as well as two links about Georgia, are on Eurasianet, which might be interested in pushing an anti-that-law point of view because of its backers

quote:

Eurasianet is an independent news organisation[1] based at Columbia University's Harriman Institute, the United States,[2] that provides news, information and analysis on countries in Central Asia, the Caucasus region, Russia and Southwest Asia.[3][4] Launched in 2000, it operated under the auspices of the Eurasia Project of the Open Society Foundations (OSF). Eurasianet spun off in 2016 to become an independent, tax-exempt non-profit news organization.[3][5][6][7] The organisation receives support from Google, OSF, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, the Arnold A. Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies, the National Endowment for Democracy and other grant-making institutions.[8][9]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paladinus posted:

The bill is coupled with constitutional amendments, also very much lifted from Russia's example, proposed by the ruling party that would ban LGBT propaganda. Unlike, say, Kazakhstan that also introduced transparency laws recently, where the law is enforced by the tax authority, in Georgia the framing is vastly different. First of all, organisations are marked as 'promoting the interests of a foreign power' based on the sources of their funding even if funding is not actually from any foreign government. It's not neutral at all. Because of this framing, the law, if passed, will be enforced by the ministry of justice, and therefore prosecuted not as a financial crime but as criminal offence. And just like in Russia, when 'foreign agents' are identified, it will be trivially easy to impose more restrictions.

The rhetoric of the current government is fairly unambiguous in what their intention is.

Thanks for the context, it's helpful and I did not find this information in the aforementioned links, and I can see some of the intentions of those proposing it more clearly.

Regardless of that, I still think transparency is a good principle to adopt, and I don't really see a problem with "not actually from any foreign government" -- the description of the bill states, "The bill currently being considered by parliament would require organizations receiving more than 20 percent of annual funding from sources outside the country to list themselves in a registry of entities acting on behalf of a foreign private or governmental entity," so that just covers foreign funding from any source.

I am still not seeing any fundamental issue here. I think this should happen everywhere. Also, wouldn't this reveal Russian funded operations?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paladinus posted:

An organisation shouldn't be branded as 'promoting the interests of a foreign power' simply for having international donors. It will also affect organisations with thousands of small donors and, crucially, international organisations. Twenty countries may contribute 1% each to your budget and that puts you on the naughty list. It's very clear that it's not about transparency at all. It's not like it's their first try to pass the law, they know about how it can be exploited and it's a feature not a bug.

Whether it should reveal orgs with Russian funding and whether it will reveal them are two different questions. The Russian law, in theory, should also cover every Russian propagandist that gets donations on streams from viewers all over ex-USSR, but in practice, it turns out renting a flat to a foreigner and also regularly posting on social media that you don't like Putin to a sizeable audience, is what actually gets you on the list. The fact that the PM never even mentioned Sputnik Georgia, a Russian state-owned news outlet, and chose to specifically call out the evil godless heathens that want to make you gay, it's safe to assume that under this government the enforcement will also be selective.

Out of context I also think transparency laws can be good. It's sort of like voter ID laws that work perfectly well in many countries, but when a US politician brings it up, you know it's almost certainly nothing but a dog whistle.

Thank you for providing more context, I feel I have a better idea of what's going on that I did not before. I don't have a specific response to the points you raise right now, but I'll chew on this knowledge to be sure. (I am still in favor of the move at this time cause I think the value of transparency outweighs the cons you described, but my opinion is moving needles nowhere.)

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 1, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i mean if you wanna take the "aha, pernicious NED and Soros influence!" angle as the most prominent thing, idk what to tell ya. yes, eurasianet has (declining) funding from US and EU NGOs, but it's IMO the more independent of outlets offering broad coverage the region in english. funding comes from the ghosts that spoop CSPAMites, but it's managed by academics and local correspondents.

This strawman is uncalled for. Not cool.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Could you explain your problem?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

Could we skip discussing the hate-reading psychos from Doomertown further?

I'm not sure why you seem to have a problem with me or think I am somehow an outsider; you can search my posts on this thread and mostly they're about culture and the country where I am from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

The problem is you sealioning in support of authoritarian regimes that apply laws unequally.

Hope that helps you understand why people hate you.

And I agree, go to hell.
Not the first time I've encountered Europeans yelping TÜRKEN RAUS, WE HATE YOUR KIND, but it's still pretty upsetting. gently caress off or talk about politics, not posters.