Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

definitely play chrono trigger first lol, its top ten best games ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

even the crazy chross-heads agree, trigger is 100x better in every way

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ngl, I'm also a bit hesitant to try Chrono Cross simply because probably 50% of the people that talk about it hate it, but I've literally never heard anyone in my entire life say they didn't like Chrono Trigger.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

ngl, I'm also a bit hesitant to try Chrono Cross simply because probably 50% of the people that talk about it hate it, but I've literally never heard anyone in my entire life say they didn't like Chrono Trigger.

A buddy of mine borrowed Chrono Trigger off me when i was young, returned it the next day saying "Nah, I dont play video games to read"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

have you tried playing it and forming an opinion of your own? food for thought

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man nurse posted:

have you tried playing it and forming an opinion of your own? food for thought

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CyberPingu posted:

A buddy of mine borrowed Chrono Trigger off me when i was young, returned it the next day saying "Nah, I dont play video games to read"

Chad gamer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Triggered?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Owned

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I leant my 3ds xl with chrono trigger to a friend and after a month or two she gave it back and said she couldn't stand how bad the game looked.
I just assumed it was because it was an old pixelated snes game, but only found out like years later when I went to play it again that the 3ds xl stretches the game out to use more of the screen and looks like absolute dogshit unless you google the secret buttons to hold to run games at their default resolution.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Leadthumb posted:

I leant my 3ds xl with chrono trigger to a friend and after a month or two she gave it back and said she couldn't stand how bad the game looked.
I just assumed it was because it was an old pixelated snes game, but only found out like years later when I went to play it again that the 3ds xl stretches the game out to use more of the screen and looks like absolute dogshit unless you google the secret buttons to hold to run games at their default resolution.

yeah you hold select while booting the game; only problem is the screen size is tiny then

DSi XL is the top choice for og DS games to look good

There's also some hacks if your 3ds is modded that gets rid of the horrible blur filter in DS mode

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

That Little Demon posted:

its a 20 hour game, you can do it

Bicyclops posted:

definitely don't play Chrono cross first, lol

If you're gonna play it for the first time play the DS remake (just don't bother with any of the extras they added).

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

No play the original SNES version, the ds translation is fail

Zurtilik posted:

I've played almost all the Chrono Trigger versions and the Steam/Phone (updated) versions are serviceable, though if you're gonna sit down on your PC and play you might as well rom the SNES or DS versions.

Fungah! posted:

definitely play chrono trigger first lol, its top ten best games ever

Fungah! posted:

even the crazy chross-heads agree, trigger is 100x better in every way

Lmao you guys really cant help yourselves !! I didn't ask abt Chrono Trigger, not interested in playing it at the moment!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Skylark posted:

How does it hold up in 2022 with its "quality-of-life" and its politics

the politics are anime

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

on the one hand, chrono cross re-enforces japanese and western european notions of colonialism by having big lipped comedic jamacan patois speaking characters and shucking and jiving voodoo dolls. on the other hand, chrono cross admits that even full anthro furries( we're talking bipedal big cats covered in fur folks, not cutesy/sexy quasi furries like felicia or nekomata from smt, Full Blown ANthro folks) can be heroes. however, these heroism is depicted by our anthro hero spearheading a genocide comited against scalies. in conclusion, chrono cross is a land of contrasts

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skylark posted:

Lmao you guys really cant help yourselves !! I didn't ask abt Chrono Trigger, not interested in playing it at the moment!

it's a little like going into a film forum and saying "what's the vibe for godfather part 3? haven't seen the other two btw"

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Skylark posted:

They're brutal about this subject

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Bicyclops posted:

it's a little like going into a film forum and saying "what's the vibe for godfather part 3? haven't seen the other two btw"

Maybe if the Godfather 1 & 2 were animated with 2d hieroglyphic-style pictuires, and 3 was normal

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

the two games are barely related except for when the ghost of chorno appears at the end and explaijns the story to you. and really he could be goku with red hair theres no way to tell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

the ghost of chorno

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

chorno trigger

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Fungah! posted:

chorno trigger

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

on the one hand, chrono cross re-enforces japanese and western european notions of colonialism by having big lipped comedic jamacan patois speaking characters and shucking and jiving voodoo dolls. on the other hand, chrono cross admits that even full anthro furries( we're talking bipedal big cats covered in fur folks, not cutesy/sexy quasi furries like felicia or nekomata from smt, Full Blown ANthro folks) can be heroes. however, these heroism is depicted by our anthro hero spearheading a genocide comited against scalies. in conclusion, chrono cross is a land of contrasts

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

That Little Demon posted:

It's a fantastic game OP, a fantastic sequel to a legendary game, incredible music and setting and vibe, big twists, lots of characters that you may or may not run into to recruit based on your choices, and an awesome battle system. It rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Lol

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

It feels like everybody except the writer wanted cross to be a spiritual sequel with only thematic ties to CT

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Joan posted:

They're brutal about this subject

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

true

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Skylark posted:

No need to get so chrono cross about it 😎

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chrono cross... Chrono trigger off your list! :D

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

absolutely anything posted:

its STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

the two games are barely related except for when the ghost of chorno appears at the end and explaijns the story to you. and really he could be goku with red hair theres no way to tell

I liked the part in Godfather III when Don Corleone's force ghost does the orange peel bit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's a rock opera to save the whales

That's all you need to know

Also it has the best battle system in JRPG history. I love it to pieces.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

I liked the part in Godfather III when Don Corleone's force ghost does the orange peel bit.

Don Chornleone

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the music is good and the world is presented really well with some of the best graphics on the ps1but it lacks a solid cast of characters to make you really invested in its story imo. i think chrono cross owns but i understand why others wouldnt like it

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Fyi the reason why i could play Chrono cross without having played chrono Trigger is because I'm built different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i played and beat chrono cross before i had any idea what chrono trigger was and was extremely confused at the part in the dead sea