Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah the January window sucks hard. Money can't fix "we're in the champion's league spots there is no chance in hell we sell you our world class 1st choice goalie".

EDIT: the January transfer window was the last post of the first page and uh, it did not go well lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
inexplicable horror tackles are my favourite FM mechanic

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe pull back from the mega aggressive tackling tactics?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

goatface posted:

Never! Tackle or die!

Jokes aside, yeah, after that 2nd red card I've given Davies standing orders to ease off tackles. But this is bananas, I've played 15ish seasons of FM22 outside of this LP, and this is more red cards than I've ever had.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

The best part of FM is your 8 aggression "do not dive into tackles" DM will sometimes just decide "I'm gonna get red cards in 3 straight games and NOTHING can stop me" and you just have to live with it

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Middlesbrough Legend Patrick Bamford going to arsenal for 80m on deadline day is loving ace.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

goatface posted:

Mods????

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Clearly you just need to turn tackling even higher up so it loops back around from "get red cards all the time."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the ref is on the floor, did the bad tackle even happen?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

February Update - Almost the home stretch

The task ahead. A tune up against heavy underdogs Hull city in the FA cup, then 4 games in the league. Bottom half Everton and Tottenham are a prelude to a resurgent Man United. Norwich are rusted to the bottom of the table at this point.

Because I forgot the pregame intro screenshoot for the Hull game, instead have us signing a new marketing affiliate in the US to improve our overseas brand profile.

Then we handily beat Hull City Tigers, with Adeyemi continuing his goal scoring streak. They didn't really have a chance and we were constantly pressuring them.

We draw Man U in the FA cup... at home! This is great news because we beat them at home last time.

Everton pregame. We're in 3rd, they are in 14th, we are at home, this should be easy money.

A Rodrygo hattrick! Hopefully this marks the end of his poor form. Araujo scores an own goal and posts a 7.0 average rating which shows how good the rest of his game was. Letting a goal through here shows how bad our goalkeeping continues to be.

Adeyemi has scored in every game since joining the club.

Despite this we have slipped to 4th in the table. Winning our game in hand will see us back in 2nd though. You can see there is the big 5 (being very charitable to Leeds here), then a huge gap to Arsenal and Chelsea. However there are only 4 champions league spots so someone is going to lose out...

Tottenham are bottom half as well, we are in form. Davies is out with the flu so he cannot even get a red card!

gently caress ME. We we go behind I switch to the 4-2-4 to get more attacking threats forward, but Dubravka's bone headed mistakes early cost us the game. Again, we are well ahead on xG, but poor goal keeping and sloppy finishing just means we are underperforming our xG and underperforming on xG allowed.

On the plus side... Adeyemi's streak is still alive.

Manchester united away at Old Trafford. This is a 3rd vs 4th battle, both sides have a lot of injuries so we're in with a chance but its tight.

Cavani completely slips our defenders and pumps one home at the 12th minute and that sets the tone. The only positive in that performance is Adeyemi getting a goal from the penalty spot. We beat them 4-0 at home and lost 4-1 away. Luckily the FA cup tie is at home...

Norwich are doomed - they are doing a Derby county down in 20th and are completely rusted to the bottom of the table. We should smash them at home even with a rotated team.

I rotate the squad and we bounce back with a goalapoolza, dominating them from set pieces. Very telling that Dubravka let through 2. I was disappointed to see Rodrygo had a very poor game as well.

That brings us to the end of Feb! Only a couple of months left to go. We're still doing OK, The lack of goal keeping is absolutely killing me and will probably prevent a league title this season, but you can see that with a better man between the sticks, and some additional help going forward we should be very dangerous title challengers.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 22, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was literally going to say "just spend whatever it takes to sign Donnaruma" in response to the keeper problems.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I was literally going to say "just spend whatever it takes to sign Donnaruma" in response to the keeper problems.

(As you know) FM has a mechanic where a player basically won't take up any transfer requests until 6 months to a year after he's sign a new contract. Because of the move to Milian he currently won't sign because he signed a new contract at the start of the season, but my Director of Football is currently a season ticket holder in an effort to pursued him that we're serious when that modifier wears off.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

March - FA Cup Run, a brace of league games, and some more spending

The task ahead - an FA cup game to start and end the month with two league games in ht middle. Man U and Chelsa are huge teams and Brighton is a very smartly managed club with some quality players in the mid table.

Before we go to the games, the kids are winning awards.

FA cup game against Man U at home. Recap: We beat them 4-0 at home, and lost 4-1 away in the league.

The symmetry is perfect. Adeyemi continues his incredible goal scoring form with a beautiful hattrick.

We are 3rd, they are 7th, we are at home, should be pretty straight forward.

We hammer them, another goal from Adeyemi, Madueke finds some form, even Woodman has a good game.

Quick recap of the league table - Liverpool is starting to pull away but they are definitely catchable.

Last batch of injuries clears so we get some new ones.

I've been checking prices, and the January transfer window effect has worn off so prices have come back down. Time to go shopping.

This is an overpay that the board won't like, but TFLlama will do a post later about why I am willing to consider this.

They won't like this either, but this means all the best young midfielders will be playing for Newcastle.

I forgot the Chelsa pregame screen shot.. so have this. Chelsa are just outside of European places so they will be hungry to get back in. It also provides a good illustration of our tactic - you can see our two wingers are holding very wide creating space, and then we have a deathball coming up the middle with the 3 midfielders and the other wing back forming a diamond.

Which isn't going to happen. Adeyemi's goalscoring streak ends but he still manages a goal contribution in an easy win for the club

Sigh.

I don't even want to talk about it.

Brighton in the FA cup. 5 players injured or suspended, but at least we're at home so we'll probably win.

Yeah, we do, and Adeyemi scores again despite being on the wing instead of leading the line.

A preview of next month. This will be a problem. Lol at the comment about Liverpool's riches vs our more modest budget. Did you miss the news or the fact the entire squad is different from last season?

Adeyemi is developing brilliantly. The green arrows without a number next to them are where he's gained a less than 1 point in the ability, where they have a nnumber they show how many whole points gained (e.g. he's got two positioning)

Man City and Pep's season is not going well for them.

Total Transfer spending - 877 million pounds

Overall, a great month. 4 games, 4 convincing wins, we even kept some clean sheets.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 23, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Is Camavinga still the dude with the best potential setting in FM22?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The papers must be furious.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Is Camavinga still the dude with the best potential setting in FM22?

I'll come back to this soon, but... sort of.

April - League run in, 877 million pounds spent

Busy month - 6 league games and the FM cup semi final against Liverpool at Wembley. We need a great run and for Manchester United to slip up to have a chance of winning.

First up, Brentford. They are currently out of relegation places and have just won their last match, but we are at home and I am going to rotate the squad.

After a bit of a slow start, a headed corner from Araujo opens the scoring and wakes the team up, then we put them to the sword lead by Davies.

West Ham have been having a shocker, so while we are away I'm pretty confident that we have good chances to win this.

Very nice win, though mostly as a result of us dominating them from set pieces. Milenkovic is excellent. Musiala continues his concerning form. I might have to rethink the system a bit to get the most out of him and Madueke.

We start stepping up efforts on our recruitment for next season. Its important to go watch players you want to hire.

Next up, Aston Villa at St James Park. We are still rolling with 5 straight wins, but we need Liverpool and Man U to collapse to let us win the title at this point. However, as we are in form and at home, we are going to flog them

Our defence shuts them out almost completely and we score a handy brace of goals. Milenkovic has been sensational

Next up, Liverpool for the FA cup. If we win this, we go to the Finals and have a big chance to pick up silverware against Arsenal.

But its not to be, they score two early goals, we have a shocking performance and basically never get back into it.

Injuries continue - this is a big loss at this point in the season.

This is my favourite addition from FM21/22. It shows you everyone's run in for the title as well as the current league situation. Manchester United have been rampaging and are going to be almost impossible to catch as their run in is pretty soft... and Liverpool has an even easier run in.

More injuries.

Arsenal up next, and a look at what could have been if we had of managed to look alive vs Newcastle.

Well! That was an unfortunate match. We are out of title contention now barring a miracle. We were all over them all match, but conceded that first goal on a huge blunder that cost us the game.

We are unlucky not to score more against Leeds, and are lucky to come away with a win. Another big header from Milenkovic gets us home.

Lead standings after the match - 5 points to catch Man U with 4 to play. Need some big results and that's assuming...

We can beat Liverpool. This is critical for the title challenge as it will push someone 3 points ahead at the expense of the others. We are at home, so I like our chances despite Liverpool being red hot.

So... yeah, that happened. Wow. Sule played an absolute blinder, but everyone did well and we bagged an incredible 7 goals vs an elite team. Adeyemi scored a perfect hat trick, with a header, a left footed penalty and a right footed tap in after he stole the ball of their centreback right at the end. On the other end Liverpool don't get a shot on target all game.

We finish the month on a high and a low. We just blew Liverpool completely out of the water, but it seems unlikely that we can catch Manchester United's late season surge.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wooaaaaaaah that score against Liverpool in the league. All they had to do was win out to win the title!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Let's talk about potential.

As a quick start, in FM ability is a range between 1 (an arthritic old man about to fall over, who has never seen a football and could not explain the difference between european football, american football and tennis) and 200 (the greatest footballer to ever exist, better than messi or ronaldo or whoever) and a player's potential is how high they can reach on that ladder. It's not a guarantee they become that good, as things like personality, playing time and injuries contribute to how good they end up being, but just the raw potential. Most real life players end up having potential set in one of two ways, either a "positive" number or a "negative" number.
"Positive" numbers for potential are set. If a player's potential is 115, every single game it's gonna be 115 no matter what. This is usually used for players who are established and unlikely to change like Jordan Henderson. He's 31, he's not going to really get any appreciably better than he currently is, so there's not really much chance all of a sudden he becomes the next messi or ronaldo and scores 40 goals a season or anything. Much more rarely, you'll also see set potential for certain young superstars like Erik Haaland or Kylian Mpbape who are just given a potential score in the 190s because frankly? they're great and FM knows it.

Most young players though, have "negative" potential, which in FM means potential ranges. Basically, whatever FM scout goes "hey, I think that in his prime, he might be about this good" and then the FM devs nerf them [s]unless they play at liverpool[/]s. The ranges are

code:
-10 = 170 – 200
-95 = 160 – 190
-9 = 150 – 180
-85 = 140 – 170
-8 = 130 – 160
-75 = 120 – 150
-7 = 110 – 140
-65 = 100 – 130
-6 = 90 – 120
-55 = 80 – 110
-5 = 70 – 100
-45 = 60 – 90
-4 = 50 – 80
-35 = 40 – 70
-3 = 30 – 60
-25 = 20 – 50
-2 = 10 – 40
-15 = 0 – 30
-1 = 0 – 20
If you've never played FM before, these numbers are going to be completely foreign to you, so I'll use our very own Newcastle save as an explanation of what they mean. Basically all Premier league level players are going to fall between 120 (the back end, either young guys who need more seasoning or the bench guys barely good enough and are hopefully only playing a couple games a season) to 200 (the true superstars that are probably making 300k euros a week) current ability. In other words, Premier league teams really only care about prospects who are -8 or better, which is a problem as those players tend to be expensive. The value solution is to scout a bunch of the -8 level players, see which ones rolled well in their scale, and sign them young, 18-19 when you can still get them for 10 million or less, instead of even trying to get the really good guys who are going to go for 30, 40 50 million dollars, which is just a hard sell for a 19 year old who might break his leg and never end up being good enough to play for you.

Newcastle is in a very unique FM situation though; they start with a squad that is frankly low end premier league level, with 3 players over 140 current ability, and one young prospect with a potential in the 150s. Unlike most teams that have to scour over the wonderkid lists, find the -8s with good potential and reasonably cheap, Newcastle has Saudi oil money, and that means that they have infinite money, along with an ownership group that has sky high expectations. That means you have to take this club from about to get relegated to top 4 as soon as possible. What's the best way to do that? Theoretically you could go out and sign all the good value players who are transfer listed and improve the team piecemeal over a few seasons...or you can take advantage of INFINITE MONEY and spend insane amounts of money on young talents who start at somewhere around 120-130 or so current ability, but also have either -8.5 or better potential or the equivalent set PA. Cthulhu explicitly signed 3 -9.5 potential players, in that VERY FIRST transfer window and would go on to sign several more. Some argue it's cheaty to go out and sign players who we know are really big prospects but like, none of these dudes are unknown, or frankly even that cheap, it just again, infinite money.

Later on, there was some confusion when Cthulhu spent uh, basically all of the money signing 3 players in Gianluigi Donnaruma, Ilaix Moriba, and Eduardo Camavinga. This is because, in order, Donnaruma is the highest potential goal keeper in the game, and like, 5th best at start in overall ability, and Moriba and Camavinga are 2 of the game's 3 total -10 potential players. In other words, those two 19 year olds are basically guaranteed to be world class players. Now sure, the value in FM is to scout lower reputation leagues, find young stars before they're known and getting developing them into superstars. As an example of how this normally works; my own Feyenoord save has won back to back champions league titles; and we spent about 74 million pounds in the last 6 transfer windows, combined, or, roughly, about a third as much as Cthulhu spent on Moriba and Camavinga alone.

Squads are limited by 3 things, money, the league/cup requirements (Ie, so many home grown at club, nation, how many foreigners, how many U-22, whatever) and playing time. When you have infinte money, this makes the last two (making sure you fit the rules for your competitions, and playing time) the only actual considerations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Later on, there was some confusion when Cthulhu spent uh, basically all of the money signing 3 players in Gianluigi Donnaruma, Ilaix Moriba, and Eduardo Camavinga. This is because, in order, Donnaruma is the highest potential goal keeper in the game, and like, 5th best at start in overall ability, and Moriba and Camavinga are 2 of the game's 3 total -10 potential players. In other words, those two 19 year olds are basically guaranteed to be world class players. Now sure, the value in FM is to scout lower reputation leagues, find young stars before they're known and getting developing them into superstars. As an example of how this normally works; my own Feyenoord save has won back to back champions league titles; and we spent about 74 million pounds in the last 6 transfer windows, combined, or, roughly, about a third as much as Cthulhu spent on Moriba and Camavinga alone.

Squads are limited by 3 things, money, the league/cup requirements (Ie, so many home grown at club, nation, how many foreigners, how many U-22, whatever) and playing time. When you have infinte money, this makes the last two (making sure you fit the rules for your competitions, and playing time) the only actual considerations.

Yeah, this is the recruitment policy. I could go for established players who are slightly better now as well (e.g. Dani Olmo vs Giovanni Reyna), but you don't get much better and it costs you noticably more. The exception is centreback where the prospects are not as good, so I have a few older players.

The reason for that (and also why Donnarumma is the best young GK by a lot) is that high potential players are much more likely to be up front, and the ceiling tends to come down as you go towards the back.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

May - Last games

Before we get cracking, go read my assistant manager Flying Llama's excellent post about potential that will shed some light on recruitment policies at the club. This will become more relevant shortly.

With that, the task ahead.

This is tougher than it might appear: Man City are fighting for their lives, Leeds have had an amazing season, and Crystal Palace are a 3 point piñata. To have any chance of winning the league we need all 9 points because

The league table is pretty grim. We are 5 points off the pace and have to get past both Man U and Liverpool. I don't really think its possible at this point.

On the plus side we have qualified for the champions league which was the main thing. European football next season gives us more minutes to distribute around our squad, increases our reputation and makes player recruitment easier. Also, it comes with a big wack of cash to help spending.

With qualification comes the initial budgets. Wages go up slightly and we get another 173 million to invest into the squad. I turned 200 million into 850 million, so hopefully I can get 600 million out of this, but I may need to transfer some from the transfer budget to the wage budget for reasons that will become clear later.

First up in the league: Man City. We need a win, and they want to win to get Champions qualification so will be a hard fought battle.

Yeah, and its not happening. No-one plays well, our attack doesn't fire and it all ends up in a heap. This should have killed our season, but Man U drops points as well (somehow), so we are still in with a theoretical chance.

Leeds are impressively in 5th for the season and should be a bit of a battle despite having nothing else to play for. They got as high as 2nd earlier in the season, but have slipped out of the champions league spots.

Another poor performance by us, our Defence single handedly wins the game as our attacking players have apparently started the season break early. They play fantastically, Woodman saves a penalty(!) from Raphina(!!), and our centreback Araujo scores the only goal of the match.

The league table going into the last game. As you can see, we are probably dead, liverpool can get into 2nd but we want to win to make sure we finish 3rd for the extra prize money. Our last game is against the relegated Crystal Palace: exactly the team I want to be playing to secure an easy win.

Before that though, as the season is ending, people's contracts are expiring. Including a particularly famous centre forward. I tried earlier and he didn't want to negotiate with us, but I think to check again after we've scored champions league qualification, and boys.

BOYS

:siren: ITS HAPPENING. :siren:

Mbappe is a great player, my only complaint is he is a bit short and sucks in the air, but he has 20 pace, 20 acceleration, is young, I wouldn't have to play a transfer fee, he's an amazing dribbler, and he overall rocks. I'm not even unhappy with the minimum fee release clause, like he takes that and then we just make 49 million pounds after one season? COME ON. I don't even mind paying him literally twice what anyone else is getting.

That said, every other club in the known universe with a hefty checkbook is trying to sign him, so we don't have a cast iron guarantee he is going to join yet. My experience is he goes to Man City or Man united every loving time which I really don't want because then I have to play against him.

Last game of the season is a mostly dead rubber against Palace as Liverpool have gone ahead of us with their game in hand. I want to make sure we finish 3rd, so I don't completely rotate the team, but this is not going to be difficult.

Well, we certainly tried to make it difficult. We went 2 goals up, they pull one back, we score, they score, but we run out the deserved winners. Its a sign of everything wrong with this team that everyone in the defense posts a green rating, scores a goal and does well, except the goalie who lets in 2 goals off an xG of 0.34. gently caress me mate, I really, really need a new goalie.

End of season league table. Good result, and the board love it, but I am disappointed. I really should have got a better goalie, it wouldn't have taken much to find an extra 6 points this season and that's all we needed to win the league.

Next time, end of season wrap

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Loving this, Cthulhu. I don't know much about football but I've always been interested in FM. It seems a bit involved for me, though, so reading this has been a lot of fun. Especially with the added flavor of Saudi oil money.

I do wonder though if having relatively determined player skill leads to samey seasons. Like you say Mbappe usually goes to one of the Manchester clubs. I assume there's more variety in it cause of they keep making these but I'm just curious.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

apophenium posted:

Loving this, Cthulhu. I don't know much about football but I've always been interested in FM. It seems a bit involved for me, though, so reading this has been a lot of fun. Especially with the added flavor of Saudi oil money.

One thing I'd say about FM is that it's really good about turning off stuff you don't want to deal with. For example, I find negotiating player contracts extremely tedious so I outsource 80-90% of it to my Director of Football only stepping in when its critical like the Mbappe signing. I also don't do press conferences or manage friendlies, my assistant manager does all of that. You can similarly dump just about anything you don't want to do - transfers, training, anything to do with the u23 and u18 teams, hiring staff, scheduling friendlies, managing friendlies, whatever. Literally the only thing you cannot delegate without a new skin is managing the competitive matches... but you can unlock the hidden 'instant result' feature and delegate that to if you want to.

This lets you choose how involved you want the game to actually be, and if you hire some sensible staff, or use the in game editor to make your staff member good at whatever it is you don't want to do the AI will do quite a creditable job of it for the most part.

quote:

I do wonder though if having relatively determined player skill leads to samey seasons. Like you say Mbappe usually goes to one of the Manchester clubs. I assume there's more variety in it cause of they keep making these but I'm just curious.

Spoilers: Mbappe does not do anything I expected this save as we shall see soon (tm).

Taking your question more seriously, the game has a macro (the evolution of the league and its teams season to season), and a micro - the match to match swings and roundabouts of the game. The macro does generally take time to diverge, just because teams don't really have a ton of money at the start to refresh themselves (barring being a petrostate propaganda effort), so the starting points are relatively fixed and broadly no matter what you do Liverpool is going to be one of the best sides in the premier league season 1. But it will change relatively quickly - in this save Southampton is a bottom feeder, but in my last save Southampton go bought by an oil tycoon who spent a ton of money, who then sold it to a very rich American, who also spend an absolute ton of money and converted them into a super team within 5 years.

But the other thing is you can play the game in lots of different ways, and in lots of different leagues. What you're seeing here is a single club save in the premier league. The premier league generally is awash with money from the TV deal. Just existing in the premier league for one season, then getting relegated gives you 100 million pounds for just showing up, then parachute payments in the future years totaling maybe a further 80 million pounds. Plus whatever your squad is getting from match day and sponsorship revenue, so a 'struggling' premier league team is spending a million pounds a week on salary. But it doesn't have to be like that, different places have very different rules, prize structures and TV deals that create a lot of variation. There are.. 30? 50? playable nations, each with its own league pyramid, and they give you a very different arc to the game.

What does different look like? A fun FM22 challenge is to start with Beijing Information Technology Universities team in the Chinese 2nd division. They only got promoted from the 3rd division last season because the Chinese government deregistered 8 teams in the 2nd division due to the owners being insufficiently loyal to the CCP, and moved a pile of teams up from the 3rd division. They have a terrible squad because they shouldn't be in the league, have absolutely no money because the TV deal doesn't exist and they are lucky to get 100 fans in for a game, and if you get relegated you get sacked instantly because the 3rd division isn't playable. You're only allowed 3 foreign national players, so you're scraping together a team of chinese players with a few absolute 'studs' you've imported from Brazil or whatever.

Alternatively if you still want another big league, you can try France's top division Ligue Un Uber Eats. The league has a petrostate funded giant with a super team in it (Paris Saint German), a couple of clubs with some money, and then 16 teams that would struggle to survive in the premier league. Due to the fact that the league has essentially no competition in the season (spoilers, PSG is going to win the league), the TV deal is terrible by premier league standards (though I think its the 5th-6th richest deal in the world). In that league you're scraping to get money together, then you're pushing for that champions league spot displacing the Monaco/OL/Rennes axis, then you have the final boss fight against PSG.

The other thing is, you don't have to stick with one club you can change jobs in game. This gives a very very, different feel. A really cool challenge is to do a 'Glory Hunter' save, which I might do as an LP in the future. In that, you try and win the league+ the domestic cups in France, Germany, England, Italy and Spain, plus the champions league, plus the europa league, plus do the international events... in 20 years in game. This means you constantly have to change jobs, you need to hire players to win right now rather than give them chances to develop but you're looking at big clubs with big money.

Alternatively, you can start unemployed with no footballing experience and try and work your way up the football pyramid. That's what my current 'offline' save is - I couldn't get a job in England started managing the Cefn Druids in Wales, won the league with them, jumped ship to Forest green, got them promoted, used that to get a job at Sunderland, and now I'm fishing for a top 5 league job somewhere. This gives you another different feel.

So yeah, any given single club premier league save is going to feel samey (within bounds, like you can bucket premier league teams into the big 6, the relegation candidates and everyone else, and within those buckets they feel samey) until the macro, but generally if you want to mix it up you start in another league, or try a different style of save.

The last point of variation is Newgens, which are new kids created by the game as you go into the future. They can really change the texture of the game because they don't have determined player skill and you never know where the next Messi is coming from.

My scouts have found this guy, who might be better than Adeyemi/Moukoko in 5 years which is going to be out of the scope of this LP, but I will sim forward at the end and he's one to watch. But there is no guarantee he will pan out!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 1, 2022

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I have since been informed by cthulhu that there is actually apparently a real life person in the database who has 1 CA and he's normal, and a totally reasonable sunday league player (so random amateur who isn't good enough for like, serious leagues, but is a totally reasonable human being) and while I feel sorry for impugning his honor, I don't feel sorry enough to edit my post.

sorry random dude playing for a military team somewhere you totally have working legs and poo poo

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

need to check if the mussolini in lazio's ranks is 1pa, his stats are horrendous.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
What a wonderful informative post! Maybe I'll see if my dumb laptop can run it cause it seems like Crusader Kings: Football Edition.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I have since been informed by cthulhu that there is actually apparently a real life person in the database who has 1 CA and he's normal, and a totally reasonable sunday league player (so random amateur who isn't good enough for like, serious leagues, but is a totally reasonable human being) and while I feel sorry for impugning his honor, I don't feel sorry enough to edit my post.

sorry random dude playing for a military team somewhere you totally have working legs and poo poo

There is actually a couple I discovered!

Meet Samuel Nomel Ako who plays for a semi-professional (e.g. people are paid, but not very much and they only play football part time) university team in Quebec in the Quebec Premier League. This guy is actually not completely terrible.

The important thing to know generally is that having a 1 in every attribute (aka me if I tried to play football) is not CA 1, its CA negative 200ish.

apophenium posted:

What a wonderful informative post! Maybe I'll see if my dumb laptop can run it cause it seems like Crusader Kings: Football Edition.

Just one more thing I alluded to, but didn't touch on. In terms of micro variation within a season, there is quite a bit. If you disable transfers, injuries, attribute changes and morale with the editor and run a sim, the same team with the same tactic will have a range of +/- ~12 ~20 points from their 'average' finish in any given season. You can imagine if if you add transfers, injuries, morale, and attribute changes back in that variation can increase markedly. This is why some people like single season games where you basically see 'can I be less poo poo than Manchester United's current coaches this season?' (yes) or they holiday forward to Christmas, take over whichever club is on the bottom of the table and try and manage them to safety. I prefer longer term saves, but you can do whatever you want.

If you do want to try FM, there are two lower risk ways to do it. Sometimes they give last years edition away for free, so keep an eye out for that, but the other option is if you have MS Gamepass, FM22 is currently included in that.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 2, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

End of Season Wrap

One of the new features in FM2022 is this end of season wrap up screens. I'll run through that and give my thoughts on the season at the same time.

Inexplicably the board hate all my signings because they think the wages are too high.. but we're only 8th in the premier league for wages bill. What is your problem you losers. The fans have given Signing of the Season to Keirian Tripper, and I kind of agree. Hes been a stalwart of the side on attack, defence and has done a lot of set piece delivery for us. Excellent value for money for 19.5 million pounds.

Adeyemi had a better average rating, and has been sensational in the half season he got to play with us. A full season with him and we'd probably have won the league.

I might go through my thoughts on the positions as we get to our best XI later on.

Yeah, I paid a lot for Jude here, but he's young, english, and amazing. The club will get value from the 120 million pounds when all is said and done because he won't be leaving the club for another 10-15 years.

I am actually a bit disappointed with the Madueke signing, we spent a good chunk of change, and he's down here with the kids and backups. Not that 8 goals and 11 assists is bad, but it's just not all I wanted. Musiala having a similar issue suggests that I'm not getting the best out my wingers.

Our inital expectation was a top half season. Coming third and qualifying for the champions league was my personal minimum expectation for the season, but you can see we squandered the season with eminently preventable dropped points against teams like Norwich, Wolves, Brighton. We only needed 6 points to win the league and those 3 matches represent 8 lost points all by themselves.

I am desperate to win the FA cup before the 5th season. There is a bug that may have been fixed in the latest patch that means the FA cup final gets played after the world cup international break starts if you are also in the champions league final. This is a major problem if, as is there case here, you have 18 players from your first team of 22 that are on their international sides and you have to play without them....

This was a disappointing start, but I'm fine with it for this first season.

This on the other hand just sucked. We should have beat Arsenal and a wasted opportunity that we didn't.

The biggest bummer on this screen is that we haven't meaningfully improved the club reputation (in the top left)

We laid down some solid beatings this season. The Jaoa Moutinho goal wasn't that amazing, a free kick from the left into the top right corner from 26 yards out. xG of 0.01, he scored, but nothing crazy.

The best XI. My thoughts as follows:

Goalkeepers:: Dubravka and Woodman. 0 pounds spent

Blleerrrgghhhhh. I'm being harsh, considering his talent level Woodman actually played out of his skin and Durbravka kept 15 clean sheets, but overall this was not a good position.

Bottom Line: Given how much I paid (nothing) and the raw talent level (low), these guys played great and I need significant reinforcmenets.

Rightback: Tripper and Mbabu 27 million pounds spent

Trippier won signing of the season and Mbabu was effective when called upon. Nothing to complain about, but this is a position to watch as its physically demanding and Trippier is the oldest start on the team by 6 years. The average premier league centreback peaks 24-26 years old, and Trippier is 31!

Bottom Line: Great performances from of player, though will need help when Trippier ages out.

Centrebacks: Sule, Milenkovic, Araujo and Frances. 131.5 million pounds spent.

This position was very solid all season, and arguably the most 'solved' position in the team. Sule and Araujo played the most minutes and were quite well rounded, but Milenkovic is also very competent all around but has an exceptionally square jaw, big forehead and heading skills that resulted in a lot of action from set pieces. Frances was a speculative 4th choice who's played limited minutes but is developing nicely. Importantly, everyone has learnt enough english to communicate in games and have formed a synergistic bond where they effectively defend as a unit with our goalies. Araujo was expensive but everyone else was excellent value for money. I shouldn't have to make any changes, except Sule and Milenkovic are already agitating for a move to a bigger club off the back of a great season. So while this position doesn't need any help, and ideally wouldn't change.... I might not get everything I want.

Bottom Line: Outstanding performances from cheap (well, other than Araujo) players

Left Back: Davies and Frances. 86 million pounds

DAAAVVVIIIEESSSSSSSS. My god his season was all over the place, vacillating wildly between poor performances with minimal influence on the match, just sensational play where he started deep in his own half, took on entire teams by himself and manufactured goals from literally nothing, then getting send off for dumb tackles. The actual goal of the season imho was Davies picking the ball up at our penalty box, and dribbling all the way up the pitch, beating multiple defenders, rounding their keeper and slotting it home into an empty goal.

I think this erratic behavior was a result of Davies having poor adaptability a hidden attribute I will come back to in a bonus update. As a result, I'm optimistic he will cut that poo poo out now he's more firmly embedded into the Premier league.

Frances was creditable when called upon to do the job, and Renan will be taking over this duty.

Bottom Line: Assuming Davies comes good, this is sorted.

Defensive Midfielder: Declan Rice and Joao Moutinho/Joe Willock 94.5 million pounds

Declan rice has the worst average rating of all the starters by a considerable margin despite being one of the most expensive transfers, but I don't think thats a fair reflection on his season. All DMs get bad ratings, its a rule of the match engine, and Rice was being called on to do a lot for the team: a lot of defensive work and tracking back in defence to shield the defensive line from players dropping in between our midfield and our defence, and huge offensive responsibilities as the primary passing hub and connecting our defense to our offense. He did well on both sides of the ball and was a key cog in preserving defensive stability in a very attacking system. He was also the captain which was critical for keeping morale up and providing leadership in difficult matches.

Moutinho was great for the first half of the season before going to PSG. He was bought in to be a set piece merchant and did what was required while also having lockerroom leadership and an excellent personality. Willock covered in the back half and did well. Moriba/Camavinga are arriving to beef up this position.

Bottom Line: Rice is going to anchor this position for the rest of the save. Camavinga/Moriba/Willock will rotate around covering for him.

Central Midfield: Reyna and Bellingham backed up by Paulinho and Willock. 173 million pounds spent

Reyna was sensational offensively so I can overlook his questionable defence - he was maybe the most creative player on the team, one of the top assisters in the league from a combination of corners and from open play. Bellingham provided ball carrying, creation, offensive utility with defensive effort and hard tackling. Without Bellingham were lost a lot of defensive stability in midfield which caused some unfortunate situations.

We're probably going to lose Reyna, he has a 70 million pound release clause and teams are already sniffing around. I'd rather have him than 70 million, but with Moriba and Camavinga arriving next season to join Declan Rice and Bellingham (and Willock/Paulinho are still around as backups), its not a catastrophe if we lose him. Midfield is already rammed.

Paulinho and Willock were fine and did the job required with a minimum of fuss. Willock is one I consistantly underestimate(d) but he did well and got more playing time as the season went on.

Bottom Line: I think Bellingham was an overpay, but one I'm happy to make given the circumstances.

Wingers: Musiala and Madueke backed up by St Maximin, Rodrygo and a rotating cast of pointless extras 81 million pounds spent

I don't think my tactic got the best from my wingers. My wingers are players that are best cutting on their opposite foot (e.g. Madueke and Rodrygo are left footed players, so starting on the right wing and running towards goal from the sideline visa versa for the right footed Musiala and st maximum) and they have impressive goal scoring skills for that style of play. However, I was using them as more traditional wingers where they'd carry the ball out very wide and then try and hit a cross in to my surging midfielders and my advanced forward who were pressing deep, which is not their strength.

Additionally Rodrygo has poor adaptability and never really learned English so never gelled with the team. At the price of free he was still value for money, but let us never speak of him again.

Despite all this they did score a bunch and create some goals while representing good value for money, so I might revisit how I use these blokes next season/change the tactic.

Bottom Line: OK, but need to rethink the tactics here.

Centre Forward: Adeyemi, Sesko and Callum Wilson 35 million pounds

Adeyemi was exceptional when he finally arrived at the club, and if we had him all season, we probably would have won the league. Neither of the other two really approached his performance, despite me trying to play a system that is quite favourable for Sesko in particular.

The plan was the wingers would knock in crosses for my guys in the middle, and Sesko is a very tall lad who can reliably win aerial contests after a high cross and knock the ball towards goal, as well as collect and score from low cut back crosses.

He just never really fired all season despite this?

Bottom Line: Adeyemi was outstanding, but with Callum Wilson gone I think I need to get Sesko out on loan and get in a new man here.

Awards! We've seen most of this I won manager of the year, Davies was annoying, overall it is what it is.

And with that, this season comes to close, and we look forward to the next transfer window and..

NOOOOOOO.

AND THATS LESS MONEY THAT I WAS OFFERING YOU ABSOLUTE TOOL. As you can see all the big boys were in on him, but he went to Spain where atleast I won't have to play him very often. Amusingly this is the place he's likely to go in real life...for more like 480k a week.

Next time at St. James park - how much more money can I spend in the transfer window

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Next season you just trigger his 210m release clause.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Next season you just trigger his 210m release clause.

Yeah, just buy out his contract ez pz.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, just buy out his contract ez pz.

Unfortunately with minimum fee release clauses you have to pay it all up front which prevents my strategy of backloading all the payments into the future from working, which sucks. That said, I will be breaking out the fishing rod for this one.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:cmon: You're a megabastard and shouldn't be afraid to act like one.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Precisely. You should be going to the board as frequently as possible and asking for more money if you're not already. Tell the hand that signs the checks that the Qatari's might do it if they don't give you the dosh.

Also, who's going to be the last member of the original Newcastle left, most likely?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Precisely. You should be going to the board as frequently as possible and asking for more money if you're not already. Tell the hand that signs the checks that the Qatari's might do it if they don't give you the dosh.

Also, who's going to be the last member of the original Newcastle left, most likely?

Willock almost certainly, just because he can play right wing, centre mid, and defensive mid so he's going to get a bunch of minutes off the bench, he's young and isn't on an absurd salary. Woodman is the other option because he's Home Grown Club and happy to be the backup goalie for the rest of time, and he doesn't get mad if he plays literally zero minutes of competitive football.

frankenfreak posted:

:cmon: You're a megabastard and shouldn't be afraid to act like one.

They literally won't give me the money any more - the transfer budget goes down, and I need the entire 210 upfront, so I'd need to make a couple of big sales. Selling like, Musiala and Adeyemi isn't out of the question, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Un-related note

Name in the game

I'm in the future a bit and finally some good regens are coming through at the club, and I'm buying them. If you want to be a regen in the game hit me up. You can specify a combination of:

Position: You can be a defender, midfielder, or attacker
Location: Do you want to be one of Newcastle's youth intake that I'm signing, a prospect player I'm buying in, a great prospect in europe, or a great prospect outside of europe (aka south america)

Only restriction really is the guys who are already in the game (Habeous Dorkus, Obliterati, ItohRespectArmy, Smasher Dynamo) cannot do that

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 3, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Can I call dibs on our biggest, strongest, most aggressive DC regen to be named Storg?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

On the topic of youth development

Bonus Update: Hidden attributes, and the NxGN Awards

A quick bonus update covering off the NxGN awards - the awards given for the best 19 or younger players in football, and hidden attributes and how they impact things, particularly development.

Let's start with Sir Harry Kane here. He's a very good striker with an even better set of hidden attributes. This screen hints at people's hidden attributes with one very key piece of information - Player Personality. In this case, 'Arry Kane is a Model Citzen, perhaps the best personality. There are a range of different personalities (Fickle, Mercenary, Ambitious, Perfectionist, Model Professional) and they are representations of a range of underlying hidden attributes. Player personality is also supplemented with Media Handling style which is similarly driven by the underlying attributes. Here is a big spreadsheet if you want to know the nitty gritty. Amusingly the most important media handling style is they give Evasive answers...

How can you get more information on a players hidden attributes? You can scout them.

Here is Harry Kane's scouting report. If a particular hidden attribute is high or low it will be shown here with a green box (of various hues) or a red box if its low. For example, Harry Kane has a very high consistency as its the darkest green colour, but is the 2nd most intense red for injury problems.

Under the hood, this is represented by the following:

There are a hidden range of stats for 1-20 for a variety of attributes and work more or less like the attributes you can see. A high number means lots of that thing, which can be bad if that thing is injury proneness or dirtness.

What do they do? Well:

• Adaptability: This is how fast the player adapts to moving to a new league in a new country. Players with low adaptability play like garbage for months until they settle in. This is why Rodrygo was so bad for us - he has very low adaptability.
  • Ambition: This is basically how aggressive the player is at trying to get a new opportunity. Players with high ambition will ask for new contracts more often, ask for more money when they do, and ask to move on to bigger clubs more aggressively (not the same as move on more often, just to bigger clubs if they feel they are better than where they are). Ambitious players can get in a strop about being told they are doing well if they don't think they are.
  • Loyalty: Loyalty is basically the 'accept what I tell you' attribute. Players with high Loyalty are more likely to do what you tell them to do without complaining, and are less likely to want to change clubs/leave the current situation. More likely to accept positive and critical interactions.
  • Pressure: More or less how well the player does with expectations being piled on them. This can include in team talks, from being in the media, from being fined etc. Also less likely to get nervous or upset in big situations like a penalty shootout. More likely to accept negative interactions of the pull your socks up mate variety.
  • Professionalism: How much work does the player do off the pitch (e.g. in the weights room and on the training pitch). Players with high professional develop faster and decline slower, keep themselves in shape during the off season, learn your tactics and respond to team talks more positively overall, if they play badly and you give them a rocket, they will accept it, and they will take praise if they deserve it.
  • Sportsmanship: This has weird overlaps with dirtiness. High sportsmanship players are more likely to kick the ball into touch when someone is injured on the other team so they can get medical attention, and is maybe less likely to take a dive. Players with high Sportsmanship are also more likely be liked and win awards, which is a weird thing, and this appears to translate into more shirt sales.
  • Temperament: A player with a high temperament is less likely to lose their mind and do something stupid when under the gun. They get less mad when fined, they are less likely to lose their temper in matches and generally get less mad. I refer to this mentally as the Rebic attribute because Ante Rebic has a poor temperament and got a ton of red cards for me previously by doing dumb poo poo when we were losing, but at the same time he'd start trying to lay down bezerker tackles at all times so maybe you can fit this into your strategy?
  • Controversy: How likely is the player to get in the media for skipping training to go drinking, get pissed at you for various things, and mouth off in the media about events.
  • Dirtiness: How likely is the player to take a dive, pull on someones shirt, and generally bend/break the rules
  • Consistency: How likely the player is to turn up every match and do well, vs have completely poo poo matches now and then
  • Important Matches: How much does the player like big matches when the title or silverware is on the line (How this lines up with pressure is completely unclear to me)
  • Injury Proneness: How likely is the player to get injured on and off the pitch
  • Versatility: How well does the player react to having their cheese moved within the squad - e.g. playing in different positions game to game, repeated tactical changes etc.

How much does this matter

Well... some of it matters a lot. I'll sort the stats into tiers:

S-Tier: Professional, Injury Proneness, Consistency
A-tier: Adaptability, Controversy, Pressure (only if really bad)
B-Tier: Dirtiness, Versatility, Temperament, Ambition
Irrelevant Tier: Sportsmanship, Loyalty

And I'll talk about why the big 3 are so.. big.

Professionalism effects player development in a massive way. A player with 20 professionalism will always reach their PA Ceiling (except if injury prone...) and will reach it very early. A player with professionalism 15 will almost always reach their ceiling, but TWO YEARS later than a professionalism twenty player. Professional 10, no guarantee they will get there.. Professionalism 1 players may not develop ever. It's critical your young players either have, or are mentored into having good professionalism.

Injury Proneness Unsurprisingly this is bad, but its hard to overstate how bad. Literally the only thing that will stop professionalism 20 players getting to their ceiling and staying there for more than a decade is big injuries. Injuries not only halt your development, but they actively set you back in FM because of attribute losses. You also just lose huge numbers of games a season to injuries. However, it's not liner - injury proness 1 and 10 are much closer than in effect than injury proneness 15 and 20. Its an exponential curve of doom at the top end of the stat.

Consistency Before this LP, I knew this was very important, but I didn't realise how important. Being very consistent is worth something like 8-20 points of current ability. That takes a very good premier league player and makes them a world class player. Big impact - and you can teach it to your young players.

How can you improve a players hidden attributes

Three methods:

1) They naturally improve over time. This is one of my youth intake who I'm not going to sign and you can see his hidden attributes are all garbage.

2) Your 'club Atmosphere' impacts them. Your club has a personality decided by the weighted hidden attributes of all staff and players at the club. (First team team leaders count more than random u18 guys, and your assistant manager has a bigger impact than an u18s physio). It slowly pulls all players at the club towards its value, but young players are impacted more. This is why I try and make sure all my staff are highly professional, because if your club atmosphere is 'Uber Professional' it can give young players 2-3 points of professionalism a year. And going from 10->15 professionalism means they will hit their ceiling, and 15->upwards means they will develop much faster. I haven't actually managed to do this in the LP though... but we're trying.

However, this cuts both ways - if your club has lots of players and staff with high dirtiness, they will naturally teach your youth players to be dirty.

3) Mentoring: This deserves its own post, but basically you can assign players to work with another player as a mentor. This will slowly push them towards their mentors personality (for better or worse) and also teach them their mentors skills. For example, Harry Kane will try and teach his Mentees to 'get the crowd going.' Mentoring moves attributes fast, its possible for things to go at as much as a point a month if the gap is big, the mentoring player is very respected (e.g. team leader, famous, international player), and the mentee is in the same social group, young, hasn't played professionally very much and plays a similar position to the mentee e.g. both are midfielders

With that, lets go to NEXT GENERATION

4 current Newcastle players and 3 more I've signed are in the top 50 players... you can see my recruiting strategy at work. This list is rated by current ability, potential, club reputation and player reputation, so playing at a big club helps a lot, but its a very good sign for a player to be on the list. Every player that appears here gets a scout on them from me and consideration given to signing them if at all possible in every game I play.

I'd really like to pick up Pedri here, or many Ansu Fati. You can see the effects of rep here - Pedri and Fati are big prospects at a huge club. Silva is a regen so if you want to be in the game he is an eligible candidate.

Moukoko is the last of the 170-190 PA players that I haven't managed to sign.

Rounding out the top 50.

I might do an around the world update and the top 50 players if theres interest as I push into next seasons transfer windows.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 4, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

SIGN THE SLOVENIAN BENTEKE.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

SIGN THE SLOVENIAN BENTEKE.

I am pretty sure it's Benjamin Sesko who is going to be sent to LOSC to play next season so you get your wish, twice over!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sign the big-haired serial killer. You can't go wrong with big hair.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I am pretty sure it's Benjamin Sesko who is going to be sent to LOSC to play next season so you get your wish, twice over!

If you have the Emissary on your side you'll never lose another big game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Name in the game

I'm in the future a bit and finally some good regens are coming through at the club, and I'm buying them. If you want to be a regen in the game hit me up. You can specify a combination of:

Position: You can be a defender, midfielder, or attacker
Location: Do you want to be one of Newcastle's youth intake that I'm signing, a prospect player I'm buying in, a great prospect in europe, or a great prospect outside of europe (aka south america)

Only restriction really is the guys who are already in the game (Habeous Dorkus, Obliterati, ItohRespectArmy, Smasher Dynamo) cannot do that

I'd like to be a German Defender, please. V: Gimme dat high professionalism.
Who knows if I'll ever appear in the LP, but you never know.