Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If you don't go 38-0-0, the season is a failure. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dreamsicle posted:

My personal record is 31-7-0. We are 18-1-0 at home. I was Chelsea and I drew both matches with Man U. I really wanted to win out at home, the bastards, but I remember tying them at the Bridge in the 4th-to-last match of the season. I knew that I had to take 9 points from the last three matches (I did) because I was sure that they would win out (they did). This was years ago during their dominant period, before City was bought by oiligarchs. I bought Wayne Rooney in his prime from them and they somehow got better. I ended that season with 100 points and Man U had 98, with just one loss I think (not sure about this). I don't even remember the 3rd-place team. It was probably Arsenal, but I recall clearly that they only had 70-some points. It was a complete two-horse race all season... a bit like a typical Spanish season, but worse somehow. It was two utterly dominant teams when the other 18 were all atypically equal/mediocre.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dreamsicle posted:

This is almost impossible imho, Jeff88 31-7-0 is a seriously impressive season. In a crappy league like Ligue Un Uber Eats it's much more possible but the chance of Liverpool, Man U or someone else bagging a win off a soft penalty or fluke finishing is about 100%, particularly if I rotate at some point. My match tactics being so aggressive also increase variance for an overall increase in performance.

I'll have a much fatter squad - the B team is going to be a champions league winning type of squad as well - which means if we rotate we should be quite strong, and the A team are all a year older which means they will be better, but that's still not a guarantee of not bottling something.

habeasdorkus posted:

More! More!!!

Septuple or bust. :smuggo:

I actually paid for him with LAST season's transfer budget.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 20, 2022

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is almost impossible imho, Jeff88 31-7-0 is a seriously impressive season. In a crappy league like Ligue Un Uber Eats it's much more possible but the chance of Liverpool, Man U or someone else bagging a win off a soft penalty or fluke finishing is about 100%, particularly if I rotate at some point. My match tactics being so aggressive also increase variance for an overall increase in performance.

I'll have a much fatter squad - the B team is going to be a champions league winning type of squad as well - which means if we rotate we should be quite strong, and the A team are all a year older which means they will be better, but that's still not a guarantee of not bottling something.

Nah it's cool it was in jest lol. The realistic goal is probably 100+ points, you're only 4 off. Part of me also thought Wrexham in the FM14 LP got 35 wins once so I thought once you got enough money perfection was possible. Turns out Wrexham topped out at 31-6-1.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dreamsicle posted:

Nah it's cool it was in jest lol. The realistic goal is probably 100+ points, you're only 4 off. Part of me also thought Wrexham in the FM14 LP got 35 wins once so I thought once you got enough money perfection was possible. Turns out Wrexham topped out at 31-6-1.

99 points = pat amateurs

In other news, what's a good way to 'park the bus' in this game when protecting a lead? As a conservative player, it's always bothered me that taking an overall defence-oriented tactic is punished, so what does anyone recommend for, say, protecting a one goal advantage at 80+ minutes or, in a less stressful scenario, up 2 marks with about 60 to go.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

JustJeff88 posted:

99 points = pat amateurs

In other news, what's a good way to 'park the bus' in this game when protecting a lead? As a conservative player, it's always bothered me that taking an overall defence-oriented tactic is punished, so what does anyone recommend for, say, protecting a one goal advantage at 80+ minutes or, in a less stressful scenario, up 2 marks with about 60 to go.

you can turn on "time wasting" in the tactic for usually the last 10-20 minutes or so of a game and not completely screw yourself, along with setting your team mentality as low as cautious, but honestly FM just hates dropping deeper. Playing 9 men deep for anything more than a couple minutes at a time just leads to insane amounts of pressure

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

99 points = pat amateurs

It depends on the relative quality of the two teams and the quality of your team overall. My advice is different for you're 1-0 up due to bagging a lucky goal and you're 1-0 up because you have tons more quality than the other side and have been unlucky so far.

But as a general rule: You play what Pep Liverpool is doing in this save. You want to move to a slower, control possession type tactic where you minimise turnovers and particularly minimise turnovers in a dangerous part of the pitch.

Shorter passing, lower the tempo, maximum time wasting if it's the last quarter of the match, contine to press high and counter press but maybe consider disabling counter attacks if you're 2-0 up and a higher quality team (though I never do this on the basis that the threat of a counter is important to keep them honest). I also remove all my get stuck in orders and tell people to stay on their feet if I'm the better team and it's 2-0 up, some cards or a bad penalty/free kick are likely to be more impactful to the situation (if I'm worse though those things stay on and I risk the penalty)

This all combines to slow things down and kill clock as you delicately kick it around.

The other thing you can do is change roles to something slightly more defensively minded. For example, with my tactic you might change from IWBs to CWBs as they have more defensive focus at the cost of reducing the attacking effectiveness. I also may mix up the midfield roles, switching from 2*CM+RPM to like, a CM+BBM+DM trades offensive fire-power for defensive stability.

Also obviously reconsider the team mentally, if you're using attacking being ahead is a prime time to switch to positive.

But yeah every game I get 2 goals, I drop the passing and tempo sliders and start wasting time.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 20, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Season 3 - Preseason

As we won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League we have some pre-season silverware we can win that no-one cares about :

• The community shield: A charity game at Wembly contested between the FA Cup winner and the Premier League winner. When that is the same team, the Premier league runner up plays. Yay, more liverpool.
  • The UEFA Super Cup: Contested between the winner of the champions league and the winner of the Europa League, we get to beat play Arsenal. English football is just ridiculously OP.
  • The Anglo-Scots Super Cup: Because I forgot to uninstall a mod, we have a game vs the winner of the Scottish Cup. Hearts are bad by Championship standards, so they are in trouble.
  • The Anglo-Scots Shield: Same mod, contested against the winner of the Scottish Gambling Company Sponorship Premier Whatever its Called League. Celtic like to think of themselves as a big club, and while they have a definite PSG of Scotland flavour about them, you'll all get to see why that isn't the same as being good.

Haaland is very good

This is just the fixed minimum, then any matches that are televised get you an additional kicker of a million quid of whatever on top of that, plus your positional prize money which is substantial.

Clubs have three streams of income, more or less:
  • Broadcast -Total League Revenues: Approximately 3.1 billion pounds. which is mostly fixed baseline with additional revenues for the Champions League and being a popular choice to get televised. We have mostly maxed this out and are close to leading the Premier league in this category (Broadcasters are catching up to us being exciting, they schedule matches for TV coverage half a season out).
  • Match day - Total League Revenues 700 million pounds: Selling tickets at the stadium. We're now maxing that out as we are basically selling out our stadium every match now. Until the stadium expansion goes through we cannot really do anything about this, but this can be a very significant sum of cash. Old Trafford seats another 20k people, at 40 quid a ticket plus whatever you can sell them in terms of merch, food and beverages inside the stadium, that's an easy million quid a game they have over us.
  • Commercial - Total League Revenue 1.65 billion pounds: Sponorship revenue, which is now the primary focus.

I'm also giving the total numbers here because it's going to become important later...

A fork in the road

But the main event is the clubs extensive transfer business, so let's get to it.

Reece James here is our first pickup for 100 million pounds from Chelsea. He's probably the third best right back in the world.

The 2nd best is Hakimi with PSG. However, as any right back we get is going to replace the English Trippier, Hakimi is out because he's french and we need English bodies for squad registration reasons.

The best (well, offensively) right back in the world is Sir Trent Alexander-Arnold who is just an offensive force. He's probably the best rightback offensively in the history of football, and his defense is merely very good. He's also English. Why didn't we get him? Well... two reasons

A) Liverpool wanted a million billion dollars, and more importantly they wanted the cash up front because they hate us, which would have limited me this transfer window and gone against the objective of 'spend as much money as possible'
B) He wanted a lot of salary which I wasn't prepared to give due to the cascading effects
C) I'm happy with Reece who's a bit better defensively due to being a bit faster, a lot stronger, and being a bit better at tackling and heading.

Plus, not like I don't have other things to spend money on....

Mbappe only cost 170 million pounds! This is both a bargain for us and a banging deal for Real Madrid as they signed him on a free transfer and cashed out one year later for 170 million quid. What a profit.

As you can see he's very good. He came up in the PSG system as a right winger, but he can play as a striker and a left winger cutting in on his right foot. That's where we will use him as that's a perfect fit for our system. Pace 20, Acceleration 20 and off the ball 20 make him a nightmare to deal with.

I don't like him as a striker just because his jumping reach is so poor, he's not really good at dealing with high crosses.

This is also one of the most unrealistic areas of football manager. The real life PSG team struggles because Neymar, Messi and Mbappe don't really play defence, but I will have him pressing intensely within 6 months.

He comes in as a star player who should be starting a lot on our left wing with Musiala behind him.

This is a pure luxury signing. He's very big, very fast, very good on the ball and has an excellent personality. How much of an upgrade is he from Milenkovic? Well, I'm not sure I'd pay 132 million dollars in the normal course of events, but gently caress it. Him, Fofana and Araujo can rotate defensive duties and are nightmares to deal with.

Got a problem with playing time between Fofana, Araujo and him though given I've promised star playing time.

SIR HARRY KANE for only 90 (103) million pounds. Again, this is a pure luxury signing. He's going to head the second unit by Haaland as he's better than Haaland at the holding up play and distributing parts of the Complete Forward job in our system. I don't need him, but whatever.

Ignore that I've promised him important player playing time when he's a backup.

Sure whatever. This signing is totally dumb and doesn't really make any sense but he's one of two really great spanish wonderkids that I didn't have so 150 million pounds later he can join our tremedously talented midfield. I had to promise him star player playing time which he won't get

He was transfer listed from city...so gently caress it. He's really good! He was only 46 million pounds! I'm a bit congested on the right wing with Adeyemi, Demir and Madueke who all need playing time as well, so what can go wrong.

So having the three best centrebacks under the age of third in world football, I decided what not get someone else. Sure. Welcome board! He's maybe the least technical and most physical of all of them - acceleration 16 and Pace 18 is faster than most premier league wingers, and he's well over 6 foot tall and absolutely massive.

80 million pounds!

The squad is now tremendously overloaded, but I think the backups could genuinely win the Champions league just by themselves (particularly with a new goalie... but even then).

Attackers: Kane, Musiala, Gabriel Jesus
Midfield: Camavinga, Pedri, Gravenberch
Defence: Mbabu, Dayot, Fofana, Renan
Goal: Woodman

Bench: Demir, Willock, Sesko, Frances, Madueke.

They could win the premier league (needs one less right winger and one more defender on the bench)

Lol!

The only real entry in 'we tried' Fati wants 475k a week! I'll come back to this one for the poison pill edition.

Multiple offers come in for Adeyemi who wants to leave for a bigger club. I tell everyone to piss off, then Man City hits his 73 million dollar minimum fee release cause, and he's unhappy because he wants to leave to a bigger club. So I sign Gabriel Jesus to be extra depth at right wing on the basis that he's gone.

I also fix up some people who need new contracts, including Davies, and a new contract for Musiala that gets rid of his minimum fee release clause

Oh well, atleast he should be OK with a new contract here then.

You fucker.

Sales

The squad is bloated, so we need to clear out some people as well.

RIP to a real one. Trippier was an engine for our first season, but Reece James is basically Trippier two, Trippier harder so its time to let him go. I'd prefer to get rid of Mbabu.. but Mbabu is Home Grown at Club. I won't need Mbabu in another couple of seasons when Musiala et al become HGC but until then we need to keep him around.

I have 6 Centrebacks, so I am happy to reduce that to 5 centrebacks.

WHOLE OF LP TRANSFER SUMMARY

Unless Adeyemi gets his minimum fee release clause spring, this is all the transfer business the LP is going to do. Let's review.

Season 1: 878 million pounds

Season 2: 843 million pounds

Season 3: 523 million pounds

Total spending: 2.244 BILLION POUNDS

That's a lot of money.

Onto the games

First of the modded cups/glorified friendlies. Hearts are a Scottish team outside of the Rangers/Celtic duoppoly. Their guys get pay like 6-7k a week to play football.. which don't get me wrong is a good living. Mbappe gets paid more than their entire team. Haaland's goal bonuses for last year would cover the team's entire payroll for a year. This should be a massacre even with the B team runing out.

Yup.

Taking bets on how many competitive appearances he makes before he breaks again.

Next game is against Celtic who ARE part of the Rangers/Celtic duoploy that rules over Scottish football. We're still going to win.

I'm getting quite mad by this point.

Their goalie is having an absolutely incredible game. Just amazing save after amazing save. His career highlights reel will just be this game.

It's not enough though.

Bellingham decided he wanted to win for national pride, and did so. Hart should have got man of the match though - his defenders were totally hopeless so it was just a barrage of shots. 19 saves is incredible!

Okay modded games out of the way, season preview is in.

It's starting to look pretty Newcastle dominant in the season preview - 7 of the dream 11 are our boys.

THE COMMUNITY SHIELD

It isn't a classic, it's a 0-0 draw through the end of regulation, and as it's a charity match it goes straight to penalties. Then Salah bricks the first shot.

And that's decisive

Our first silverware for the season.

2 goals from 7 xG in the last two matches, and our front 3 is Mbappe, Haaland, Adeyemi, what is going on.

UEFA Supercup!

Goes to extra time tied 1-1

And then onto penalties, they brick 2 shots in a row so we don't even get to have someone score the winning penalty.

Huzzah!

For those counting along at home, 3 goals from 10 xG despite the best forward line in the universe.

Despite the..questionable finishing, we've still won every match, have 2 real pieces of silverware to add to the cabient.

Now literally the only thing to win is the Club World Championship.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao at only winning those games on penalties

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
5 games

that's how many you'll get before the injury

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

lmao at only winning those games on penalties

Celtic nearly took us to penalties as well, while we got there every time not an auspicious start. Liverpool has added reinforcements too, they've given athletic Madrid 130 million pounds for Joao Felix

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

5 games

that's how many you'll get before the injury

I'll go 4, because I'm cynical like that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'll take the over, since I don't think he'll be playing every match and thus he might get all the way to six before getting hurt again.

Also, 3/7ths of the way to the Septuple!

e: I only ever got to 99 points with Wrexham? Pathetic.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

how's the team chemistry looking?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Season 3 - August

Only 2 games this month

Southampton have upset us before, but we should be strong favourites to open the season.

I alt tabbed out after the first goal, then came back and was like 'oh is this a replay' as the second goal went in.

Easy victory.

We should be beating west ham as well to get of to a hot start.

This happened in real life to Manchester united and the defender got blamed for the turn over, but it's really actually a poor decision by the other two CDs and goalies not to present a passing option.

Easy goal from that gets us off to an easy win.

You all lose in the betting pool: he played 1 game.

International duty

Injury plague.

League 1 team in the Carabao cup - chance to rotate!

Not the easiest draw in the universe, but should be mostly a cakewalk.

Transfer roundup

Dynamics are looking pretty good! Sir Harry Kane immediately became a team leader and that has been a stabilizing influence.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

skatin'

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is Sir Harold, 1st Lord of Kane going to complain about playing time?

Corrollary to that, is there any way that he and Halaand can play on the pitch together? I thought that perhaps Sir Harry could be the shadow striker type who is more about linking midfield and attack rather than being the target man. He is in the latter stage of his career, unfortunately.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Is Sir Harold, 1st Lord of Kane going to complain about playing time?

Corrollary to that, is there any way that he and Halaand can play on the pitch together? I thought that perhaps Sir Harry could be the shadow striker type who is more about linking midfield and attack rather than being the target man. He is in the latter stage of his career, unfortunately.

Oh man, now we've gone full Galacticos he's not even like the 5th biggest playing time complaining problem. It's playing time problems all the way down. I'm literally picking my squad by cutting all the guys who are happy with their playing time. I've managed to walk Kane's playing time down to regular starter though, and he CAN play at the same time, looks something like this.

I don't love it though as it has Mbappe on the right side and Adeyemi on the bench but we've got 60 games this season with any luck so I can hopefully rotate everyone heavily.

Alternatively we play a 4-2-4 which lets me get Adeyemi, Mbappe, Haaland and Kane all on the pitch at the same time, but creates a log jam in the midfield.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 22, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think you should buy Luyanda Caloin.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Three follow-up questions:

1) I know that your transfer net is at preposterous, not-at-all-bloody-realistic levels, but how is your current wage bill compared to the other megabastards?

2) I genuinely think that you should move on Madueke unless we want to make him a running joke. I genuinely feel bad for him and he's not even a real person, and you have plenty of other people who need time.

3) Why not play Kane in a 4-4-2 as the AMF/trequartista/withdrawn striker? Then the two wings are open and you can still have a DMF.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Three follow-up questions:

1) I know that your transfer net is at preposterous, not-at-all-bloody-realistic levels, but how is your current wage bill compared to the other megabastards?

2) I genuinely think that you should move on Madueke unless we want to make him a running joke. I genuinely feel bad for him and he's not even a real person, and you have plenty of other people who need time.

3) Why not play Kane in a 4-4-2 as the AMF/trequartista/withdrawn striker? Then the two wings are open and you can still have a DMF.

1) It's a bit on the lower side, but closing fast. I moved about 100 million dollars from the transfer budget to the wage budget in that last window. I've been trying to avoid handing out to many big contracts, if I was going to poison pill it I'd sign Fati who would cause problems as he'd get 475k, which would trigger the automatic kicker in Haaland's contract, which would make everyone ask for more money. See below:

Lots of people have riders in their contracts for international appearances and the like and once they all trigger we'll be in 3rd comfortably. When I leave - or if Rice leaves - everyone will want new contracts too which may see it go to first.

2) He is really good when he plays. Mini-Spoilers for the next update

I mean look at that! Goal or Goal contribution

He's also English so he's essential for club registration rules for the champions league and the premier league. I need 8 English players for the premier league (we have 7), and 8 HGN players for the champions league. Once Musiala ticks over into HGC/HGN he's more disposible, but for now he's very useful

3) The honest answer is that a 4-4-2 is mostly unplayable garbage in FM22. The more serious answer is that other than the tactical problems of a 4-4-2 a lot of my 'wingers' are converted strikers, and the game is 100% convinced that you can play right attacking midfielder, but asking Adeyemi to play right midfielder is a step to far and he will forget entirely how to play football. Plus I have a log jam of midfielders, and while Kane is really good, I need to accommodate all the other pieces of the team as well and I'm fundamentally unwilling to move way from a 3 man midfield system.

habeasdorkus posted:

I think you should buy Luyanda Caloin.

:commissar:

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Tell Adeyemi if he keeps bitching about going to a bigger club you'll sell him to the biggest team in Slovenia.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Maslovo posted:

Tell Adeyemi if he keeps bitching about going to a bigger club you'll sell him to the biggest team in Slovenia.

Man...

Season 3 - September

Intensity is ramping up

Adeyemi is playing sensationally - this is why I don't want to sell him. As a right winger cutting in on his left foot he's devastating. It is a position where we have a massive log jam, so I would sell him for a big money offer but we're only getting offers in the 50-60 million pound range so far.

Ohhhh maybe

gently caress WHY WON'T YOU SIGN A NEW CONTRACT THEN

THE gently caress

WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING. I literally have no idea what's going on here, I'm actually pretty sure this is a bug. Normally when they stop being mad they'll let you sign a new contract unless they have a minimum fee release. He HAD a minimum fee release, but it has expired so now he's not going anywhere unless Barca or City find that 100 million.

Maudueke is great when he's on the pitch. I just hope he's more like the Ronaldo the 1st than Eduardo Da Silva

Honestly impressed they are still in the league.

Adeyemi with a casual hat trick, the Gravenberch goal was him collecting the rebound when the goalie couldn't contain another Adeyemi shot and slotting it home.

Tidying up some loose ends. He's not really good enough but he's HGC so I am willing to overlook his obvious deficiencies. He's happy enough to clear 3 million pounds a year to play the occasional game and just sort of exist, so we get along fine. He could develop further if he was loaned out somewhere, but not enough to actually be good so gently caress it. He'll be set for life at the end of that contract, and tbh if I was still there I'd give him another 12 million quid. Hopefully he's getting some sensible investment advice while hanging around the locker room and playing in the under 23s, rather than listening to John Terry or something.

He's going to be Home Grown at Club next year, which makes him priceless to the club.

He was not injured for long enough to get an England Cap!

Arsenal are the next victims, and as they are good, I play a decent side. Not the death lineup though because of the next fixture in the Champions League.

I'm concerned by how poor Haaland and our attack generally has been this season. Our back line is doing a LOT of goal scoring work, particularly Fofana.

Playing time problems akimbo, but Rice sorts them all out. Rice is a Newcastle hero.

For some reason the premier league is glitched and not on the graph, but you can see I spent more than any other league by myself.

Barcelona are one of the world's biggest clubs. I put the Death Lineup out there.

And the Barcelona are made to look like a youth team. Mbappe is on fire, and the goals are coming from everywhere, but the Defence is the real stars of the show. Barcelona don't even get a shot on target the entire match and we have 3 goals from the back 4.

Stats so far in the season. Fofana is getting very lucky from near post headers and Adeyemi is ludiculously over performing. Haaland has been a bit unlucky, but only 2.9 XG from 5 starts is poor.

Chelsea next. Unfortunately no sanctions in this universe.

An ugly game. If you take out the penalty from our side we only had an xG of 1.91, we should be playing a lot better. Camavinga bails us out with a sensational late goal though.

Oxford are in League 1 - two leagues below us. The Z team should be winning this.

And they do, Madueke just runs completely riot and wins the game more or less single handedly.

Leeds are in Champions league contention again (!!), so the deserve respect.

Alas, I mean its not ideal but the fall back position is Madueke, Demir, and Gabriel Jesus so its not really a problem.

Haaland and Moriba combine to do some football, everyone else plays well, Gabriel Jesus gets a man of the match I am not sure he deserved, we win. I assume Donnarumma was literally asleep when he let that 90th minute goal in, he was playing like it.

Huzzah. Shows how much this is weighted towards scoring, Virgil van Dijk really deserves it here.

I do not understand how Pedri gets ahead of Gravenberch here?

Huzzah!

6 games, 6 wins, tons of goals scored. Not without issues or completely flawless, but I'm very confident at this point.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 23, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The nice thing about keepers (that was my position) is that a great one can be great for a looong time. See: Buffon.

Do you even have a 3rd keeper?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

In real life, top level teams usually want like, two actually good keepers, with the mediocre home grown at club dude filling the third keeper role, but in FM, anyone actually good enough to start somewhere decent, and like, between the ages of 25-35 or so, is just gonna agitate for a move somewhere they can start instead, which is why you see the great exodus of guys like Zack Steffen or Pierluigi Gollini (if Tottenham actually pickup the option to buy) sometime in the second year's transfer windows.

Basically in other words, the 3rd keeper in FM is almost always your reserve/youth team starting keeper instead of someone specifically brought in for that role, unless you're running something weird like multiple backups for the sake of Home Grown at Club reasons.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

The nice thing about keepers (that was my position) is that a great one can be great for a looong time. See: Buffon.

I love that Italy has one of the greatest goalkeepers EVER for such a long time and he looks totally irreplaceable and he eventually gets replaced by another absolutely amazing keeper who will be around for a long time WHO IS ALSO CALLED GIANLUIGI

quote:

Do you even have a 3rd keeper?

Hahahahaha no. There is literally only two guys at the club who can play goalie - Woodman and Gianluigi the 2nd. I hope they both never get injured at the same time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

October - Season 3

Relatively brief month with soft opposition other than the Newcastle game.

Celtic in the Champions league are first up. We've already beaten them once this season in a glorified friendly, but here is a real match. They spend less on payroll than any premier league team so we should be winning.

I field the 'b-team' which actually looks pretty sensational.

We win but its not comfortable - they deserved their two goals.

Hart their backup goalie was in again.

Lol, not a serious injury this time though.

More playing time downgrades.

The real deal - the A-team are in for this, if we win here I reckon I can win every game this season no problems.

This was close, and I would have liked a draw but we just didn't play great and Salah didn't miss when he got a late chance to seal the deal from a crap Davies tackle. They bought Joao Felix from Athletico Madrid at the end of last season (before Athletico offered me the job), and he came up trumps for them here.

Very disappointing result, and probably just hubris on my part because I was rather cockily thinking I could win every game this season up until this result.

Next game is against Leister and I forgot to get the match preview so enjoy this image of our cursed youth prospect being cursed and playing quite badly against Ireland.

They are on the fringes of European places, but despite putting a B team out there, Haaland and De Ligt bag a brace each and we win at a canter.

These guys are bottom of our group but Barcelona managed to draw their game against them so they are not completely powder puffs. If Celtic plays well they have a chance to qualify for the Champions league knockouts.

OK maybe they are, though Mbappe was getting a lot done. Pedri bricking the penalty to miss out on a hat trick made me lol.

Lastly Brentford in the league. They have never taken even a point off me and I don't expect them to start now.

Not our finest effort, and Haaland was absolutely robbed on that goal, he drilled it at the keeper who couldn't contain it and it bounced in, but was an own goal? bah.

I'm disappointed but overall a decent month - we are still first in the league despite the Liverpool result, are first in our group and alive in all competitions.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 24, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Winning every game in a FM season is really goddamned hard.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
It always makes me roll my eyes a bit when people make a big deal out of perfect seasons in American football. Putting aside that the game is a hyper-violent concussionapalooza which is why they play so few matches, university teams only play 11 or 12 games per season and there are generally a few perfect teams every year. In the pros I am told that it happened once in a 14-game season and once in a 16. In the latter case, the perfect squad lost in the championship match. That's not that surprising given how few matches they play. Fully-pro association football teams play, at minimum, 40 matches per season and top-level teams play up to 60 or more with cups and Europe yet peerless seasons are incredibly rare despite their being exponentially more soccer teams than gridiron ones. With such short seasons and higher-scoring games it greatly increase the probability of luck favouring a team enough to have that happen. Proper football is so low-scoring that one tiny mistake can complete change a match if it leads to an improbably goal or costs a near-certain goal.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JustJeff88 posted:

It always makes me roll my eyes a bit when people make a big deal out of perfect seasons in American football. Putting aside that the game is a hyper-violent concussionapalooza which is why they play so few matches, university teams only play 11 or 12 games per season and there are generally a few perfect teams every year. In the pros I am told that it happened once in a 14-game season and once in a 16. In the latter case, the perfect squad lost in the championship match. That's not that surprising given how few matches they play. Fully-pro association football teams play, at minimum, 40 matches per season and top-level teams play up to 60 or more with cups and Europe yet peerless seasons are incredibly rare despite their being exponentially more soccer teams than gridiron ones. With such short seasons and higher-scoring games it greatly increase the probability of luck favouring a team enough to have that happen. Proper football is so low-scoring that one tiny mistake can complete change a match if it leads to an improbably goal or costs a near-certain goal.

:rolleye:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bonus Update - Goal top 50

The top 50 players in the world as per the Goal.com top 50

The game loving LOVES Pedri, and why I agree he's good, he's not THIS good. No othe r real surprises, Lewandowski's game doesn't rely on mobility as much so is hanging in there. Totally dominated by Newcastle attacking players who score.

Jaoa Felix deserves that top shelf rating judging by his performance against us, he was sensational. I think he's outside of the very tippy top shelf of strikers in this save (the tier formerly occupied by Smasher and Messi, and now occupied by Haaland and Mbappe), but he's pretty drat good.

I always forget Kevin De Bruyne is that old.

Smasher Dynamo is just getting old and is slipping away, but Reece James is being recognised as the elite player he is.

De Ligt and Davies are underrated quite a lot here imho. Gabriel Jesus was good value for 46 million but I am struggling to fit him in the team.

first time we see a player under 23 who is not playing for Newcastle. This edition of FM loves Vlahovic because he has a square jaw and giant forehead and is sensational in set pieces and just getting on the end of crosses.

Ansu Fati is sort of my white whale in this save. My white totally pointless and maybe actively harmful SUV?

Only big surprise is that Donnarumma isn't here! The save hasn't really diverged enough to for any new names to show up here, but worth checking back when we simulate into the future.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Season 3 - November

Nothing very exciting. Chelsea is probably the most dangerous team, but mostly these guys suck. Fulham is our weird bogey team so I look forward to bottling something against them.

Money!

We're still MASSIVELY in debt though LOL. I suspect a new manager might get a repair the financial damage objective.

But the FFP is fine as we are running at a profit! Honest!

Chelsea

Three goals in injury time was slightly concerning, Donnarumma hasn't been playing great of late, but our attack was firing so that was enough.

Wolves are in champions league spots, somehow. They haven't had a takeover or anything, I don't know whats going on.

We just completely shell them - its all one way traffic even though Musiala gets stretchered off at the 3rd minute.

Club Brugge in the champions league. They are the worst team in the group, so I'm not expecting a challenge.

The victory lap continues. Woodman with a clean sheet!

Spurs next! They are plunging towards the relegation zone now without the ability to score goals

Again we just completely smash them. When a centreback heavy lineup takes the field (this one has Rice, Upamacemo, Fofana, Araujo and Frances on the pitch), some teams just cannot progress the ball into our defensive third because they just get shut down, and any attempt to kick it over the top and win an aerial duel is just doomed to failure.

Sigh

Double sigh. I was listening to a bit on TIFO recently where they described Zidane's teams as being bereft of any sort of footballing philosphy, and just managed with vibes. That is absolutely what needs to happen here, the quality in the squad is absolutely overwhelming and its just a matter of getting 11 egos on the pitch and vaguely playing together.

The weird bogey team.

Kane bricks this penalty, cleans up the rebound and slots it home.

xG of 5.22 for 2 goals about sums it up, though Kane's efforts crashing the boards was worth like, 1.3 xG by itself.

I've started just absolutely flogging the team to make them tired so I can send them on holiday so I can play the backups without people complaining about playing time. We play all 90 minutes at maximum intensity, everyone is on double intensity training, its just GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO.

To holidays they go! They dont get mad about missing games when on holiday.

Lol @ spurs.

Yes, I do want to spend 45 million quid on a guy who would be my 8th best right winger. What are my scouts even doing?

Celtic! We should easily be beating them but our matches against them so far have been chaotic.

Well, that was really ugly.

Jesus Christ. They had their real goalie this time and he was determined to show he deserved the starting spot. 19 incredible saves. One of the best all time goal keeping performance was David de Gea bailing out 17/18 Man U with maybe the greatest shot stopping performance of all time, and over a full 38 game season he saved 8 goals more than expected. This guy did 2.55 more than expected in one match! The most saves made by a Premier league keeper in one match this season is 11. This guy made NINETEEN! He saved a penalty! I showed just the Celtic performance to someone and they just assumed we lost.

Stadium expansion is paying off with that sweet matchday dollars. Season ticket holders don't get free admission to these games so the extra revenue is felt here the most.

Go sit on a beach and don't talk to me about your playing time.

12 games, 11 wins 36 goal difference (lol). At a full season pace this is 104.5 points, but atleast we don't have to play Liverpool away again.

Southhampton games must be some boring football.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Wow, Celtic had 3 goals on .83 xG

The keeper is either the hero or the goat, usually the latter. When you're the former, though, you never forget it. I had an 18-save game once myself (I was told after the fact) and I will never forget it. By the end of the match I was filthy, sore and exhausted by the emotional fatigue of constantly having to defend an aperture 10 times my size.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
The greatest goalkeeping performance I ever saw was that of Les Sealey for West Ham versus Newcastle in 1996.

Newcastle had 40 shots on goal versus an awful West Ham defence and Sealey only let 3 past him. I think he made twenty-something saves. It was a weird game.

Match report: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/asprilla-sends-newcastle-back-to-top-1342937.html

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

The greatest goalkeeping performance I remember was Neuer vs Porto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOp7eeDtnM

That was a furstrating game, Porto had a great team.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
No-one is going to believe this, but in a match during gushing rain I saved a shot between my feet. It was a one-on-one with the striker and I was leaning, of course, wide (left) side. He was a huge bloke named Kevin with a shot on him like an artillery strike, and at the last minute he tried to fool me with a baby cross-body shot from the inside of his right foot (he was a lefty) towards the narrow side opposite where I was leaning. I slid feet first because there was no way I could stop him otherwise and stopped the ball between my feet. I didn't just deflect it, I caught it and controlled it. The match literally stopped dead for 8-10 seconds because nobody could believe it, including me.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Season 3 - December

Lots and lots of football this update.

Many games

Piss off Qatar.

The kids are very, very good.

Another manager of the month award.

Aston Villa are a top half team, but well outside of european places. I put out a rotated squad.

Maudueke turns in a hattrick, they have one shot on target.

Uhh, more from the mod - it adds a match between the winner of the 5 continental leagues. This is the South American champions league equivelent, and probably the toughest off them.

Best north American team.

Getting some more staff in. Ideally I'd just task these two guys to follow Madueke around.

More scouts for.. no real reason. I make sure all these guys have high professionalism to improve the club atmosphere.

Now that the finances are less poo poo, I start walking transfer revenue retained back up.

Barcelona. These guys are actually in trouble because they've had a lot of their players poached for big fees and have used that to clear debt rather than re-invest in the squad.

And a loss here means they are knocked out of the champions league.

Reece James made it much harder by getting stupidly sent off, but despite being 10 men we mounted a big comback to win 3-1.

HAHAHA SUCK IT. Celtic played a lot better than them and deserves to go through.

Begone and stop talking to me about playing time.

Everton have slipped back this season and are sitting in 10th, but its pretty close they could get into european places with a win.

Again, we make it harder than needed, but score a flurry of goals when they go down to 10 men.

Bye bye! Please do not call me under any circumstances.

Hu..ray?I mean it could be worse, and we do really need a youth goalie no matter how bad he is because....

I am optimistic my decision to only have two goalies at the club will not end badly.

Please stop complaining. Actually this is annoying as he demanded I increase his playing time from squad player to regular but it will be going back as soon as I can get away with it.

I forgot the preview for the Southhampton game, so instead have the brilliant list of backup goalies my scouts have found.

This goalie thing is becoming a problem.

They go down to 10 men, we score 6 goals then go down to 10 men, huzzah. I hook Haaland to minimise injury risk.

Because I'm rotating my squad so heavily our guys don't lead on any counting stats - but see the 'average rating' column which basically measures in game performance. It's not perfect but...

Yeah the squad is on fire. 10 of the top 11 are playing for us, and those 10 players actually make a great squad.

Off to Japan to beat up a Brazilian club side and prove English/European superiority post brexit or something. It occurs to me later I should be playing a 4-4-2 for these matches.

Unsurprisingly we get the trophy.

Kane scores a penalty that he drew in the first two minutes, slots home another from a sweet 1-2 with Mbappe and we shread them.

We pop back to the UK for a premier league match against bottom half Brighton and Hove.

Haaland bags a hattrick, they don't get a shot on target.

Mostly eliminated playing time concerns at this point.

Now for the North American team. I'm rotating the squad heavily throughout.

Huzzah!

They actually got a shot on target! please ignore that I have the Z team out there.

The Z team is out there because we have to go back to the UK for a very big match - top of the table clash against our new competitive rivals Manchester United.

Telling that our scouts think Man U are a poor team compared to us.

Maybe an unfairly dour assessment but we are definitely the better side on the day despite having to do two round trips to Japan.

As its the end of December, its time for some awards!

JUDE BELLINGHAM WINS THE BALLON DÓR. Only the second time in recent memory that a non-striker has won it, and like the 5th guy to get a look in in the last 20 years.

Oblak is pretty good yeah.

6 players in the world team of the year. I honestly think Fofana is just unlucky not to be here.

Moriba is starting to surpass Salah as the greatest African player.

Davies is just obviously the best American player at this point.

The french national team is stacked.

League table at the end of December. Still only dropped 3 points.

Revised fixtures at the end of the month.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Brace thyself for the New Year's 'Reassessment'

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

11 points up despite having 2 games in hand. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Brace thyself for the New Year's 'Reassessment'

I'm not worried about it - everyone is already deeply afraid of us. This is in part because the best teams all view us as competitive rivals, and in part because the weaker teams regard us very strong opponents.

Season 3 - Jan

The Task ahead - though that's not going to survive contact with the enemy if we win this first Carabao Cup tie (which we will). The Semi finals will get rammed in their and displace other matches.

I'm still laughing about this bug. WE WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!!

I forgot about my rage signing. I cannot really loan him out as he needs 3 years to be home grown at club, so I tell him to hang around and play with the u23s

These guys are a bad championship team. Its actually possible the u23 team could win this match.

Its hard to come out with more ways to write about this particular type of match. They play out the same - we bottle them up in their own half with an aggressive press, every time we get possession back we quickly work it into the box and fire off a shot, and they either

A) Try to play out of the back and get overrun by the press

B) Go long, lose an aerial duel vs our physicality in the back line and quickly attack again.

They usually only get chances where they manage to break our lines with a quick counter after one of our midfielders tries to make a progressive pass through their lines to one of our forwards but bricks it. Our midfielders often get caught out a bit when this happens as they are making attacking moves. However, because our back 4 and defensive midfielder (who are usually the back half a 5-3-2 formation at this point) are blisteringly quick , they usually run down the breakaway before it gets too dangerous. If we turn it over after the forwards have it its much less dangerous as they are usually not able to quickly penetrate our midfield before the centre mids can track back and resume their defensive responsibilities.

Leicester are actually really quite good - one of the only non big club teams to win the Premier league ever, they are pushing back into champions league contention with the collapse of Manchester City.

We beat them handily because Haaland scores a hat trick - but check out the xG. Even really good teams struggle to post 1.7 xG against us. Davila makes his Debut off the bench and does OK.

Go away.

WE get Arsenal in the Carabao cup - its a two legged tie so we have a home and away match.

Honestly a pretty ugly game. We are very sloppy defensively and let through two goals on basically no chances. Mbappe and Gravenberch are sensational and generate more than enough offense to bail out our defense though.

Yay! Now one of the biggest Stadiums in the league.

Burnley next. They are down in the championship now but might manage to win the playoffs to come back up. Obviously we are massive favorites

They actually do pretty well - 10 shots and 5 on target is more than most teams get. Unfortunately their FM defense is a lot more porous than their real life defence, so we have the familiar story: Haaland has a hatrick and we win.

Concernly Mbappe is stretched off early so I brace for the injury report.

Phew

Carabao Cup second leg

We go into the home game with a 2 goal advantage, so we just need to not lose by 2 to go through without going to Penalties. I forgot to get the preview for our second leg at home in the Carabao Cup against Arsenal so have something else:

I notice Leriaka is the first of the goons to get a big new contract in social feed

Leriaka reups for a pretty big contract - even if they bust now, 10 million pounds should have them set up for life - as they are ready for the Championship or similar now.

The newcastle speculation is because I have them on a shortlist.

This was a pretty ugly game. When we went down 1-0 I was unhappy as we were on top but Barbosa put together an excellent counter attack to score the goal. Fortunately Madueke hit back in injury time to tie it up on the day for an overall win of the tie - but this is only the 2nd time all season we haven't won on the day.

We almost out the newly expanded Stadium for the game, shame we had such crap football on display for it.

Liverpool at home. THIS should have been the first match in the new stadium! Renan is away in the South American Cup thing.

We should sell this out which would be the new record though which is nice.

Brilliant win - we execute our game plan to perfection.

Morale is not as good as it could be due to playing time beefs and Adeyemi being petulant about playing for the wrong oil baron sports washing project. I've promised him I'll let him go for 134 million.

Wolves! They are surprisingly decent, we are one of the all time great teams, lets go.

Well that wasn't great, I was seriously getting nervous that it would finish 0-0 or 1-1 in the second half, but the Defence does everything this time and we scrape home with a narrow win, but 3 points is 3 points.

Now they have a new contract, people start piling in for a loan as its the Jan Transfer window.

We are a lot better than them, and we are at home.

Another perfect exection of the game plane, and Maupay getting sent off means they are never digging out of the hole. Unfortunately James gets a serious injury.

Ouch.

I suspect one of these Championship teams will get Leriaka in the end, its a great place to cut your teeth as an English prospect.

The delayed Sheffield Wednesday Game. They are in the relegation places and just look very poor so we are easy favourites even way.

Yeah, so that happened - but thats just our gameplan again. The huge number of fouls they got are just because they don't have the pace to keep up with our guys so helplessly foul them over and over again. Its like watching physically overmatched players try and defend against Joel Embiid

What actually happened. My view is that 2nd league draw against Arsenal doesn't count.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 28, 2022