Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i could go in as a central defender at a random level of football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Good job Munoz

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yaaaaay

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm sure calls are being blown all over the place

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:toot:

e- voting for poison pill

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 19, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

white man can't jump, checks out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao at only winning those games on penalties

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

skatin'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JustJeff88 posted:

It always makes me roll my eyes a bit when people make a big deal out of perfect seasons in American football. Putting aside that the game is a hyper-violent concussionapalooza which is why they play so few matches, university teams only play 11 or 12 games per season and there are generally a few perfect teams every year. In the pros I am told that it happened once in a 14-game season and once in a 16. In the latter case, the perfect squad lost in the championship match. That's not that surprising given how few matches they play. Fully-pro association football teams play, at minimum, 40 matches per season and top-level teams play up to 60 or more with cups and Europe yet peerless seasons are incredibly rare despite their being exponentially more soccer teams than gridiron ones. With such short seasons and higher-scoring games it greatly increase the probability of luck favouring a team enough to have that happen. Proper football is so low-scoring that one tiny mistake can complete change a match if it leads to an improbably goal or costs a near-certain goal.

:rolleye:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JustJeff88 posted:

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this game did have a... let's sarcastically call it a mechanic where teams that are ridiculously dominant have that sort of poo poo happen, if only to avoid ridiculous seasons. I remember a football game from 2008-2011 or so that had that sort of thing in simulated matches away. If the player was on great form, they would inevitably lose 1-0 away even to vastly inferior teams or, at best, tie 0-0 or 1-1. This happened even after not saving, reloading and re-simulating.

That would kinda suck, that kind of gently caress-off mechanic is just...unpleasent

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't think it does - I think we just got a unlucky and there is reversion to the mean happening. To put it in other terms, we'd won three more games than expected through to the start of last update, so our underlying performance was on pace for like a 32 win season with 5 losses and a draw. We were doing better than that on track for like a 34-2-2 season but there was always a chance our luck could run out.

This is compounded by my tactics. Almost all the open play goals we concede are the same - our CBs are pushed up very high so a fast forward can run off the shoulder off the last man onto a ball pinged over the top, or a number 10 gets in between our defence and our midfield then beats one of our centrebacks off the dribble. This is easier said that done, but when it is done it usually sets up a relatively high quality chance. Earlier when I conceded two goals from two shots that actually had almost a 10% chance of happening.

Even when that does happen our strikers can normally dig us out of the hole, but these scenerios are not that unlikely - and we've still been relatively lucky over all in those things not happening to us.

The last factor is a bit of gamblers falicy with xG and the mental model of the game. When we get 2 xG or whatever but still haven't scored, the next 0.1 xG shot iss till only a 10% of scoring. This is a particular problem for my very demanding high tempo aggressive tactics because it flogs everyone into the ground so we rely on going ahead early or me subbing on fresh legs who make an immediate impact. But when Mbappe or Haaland are very tired at the end of the game they are less likely to convert their chances than xG suggests because they are more likely to make mistakes because they are tired.

Then because the game heavily uses compsure, confidence, morale and form in finishing, once your men up front start choking they can definitely get into a mental hole and keep choking even though you are giving them a high quality opportunity which results in high xG. Haaland and Mbappe don't do it very often, but some guys (Ante Rebic) go on tilt and then play very badly.

Overall there are a bunch of factors but yeah it's mostly that we got unlucky lol.

this is good to hear, especially in a game with such a robust simulation engine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Leraika posted:

I wanna see how I ended up doing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'