Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

:siren::siren: IT'S HAPPENING :siren::siren:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arbco/mutants-in-the-next-expanding-the-mutant-animal-ttrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

And pledged at the Leader of the Team level.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm in! Excited to pick another animal

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Darn, missed my chance to find some obscure animal at my zoo and make you stat him up. I'll have to settle for "just" the book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, also missed Secret of the Goop this time around, but I'm pleased things are found well! Will back at a regular level once I'm at my home PC.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Apropos of nothing, but 'Little Blue Bird of Hackiness' is extremely good.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

The Mutant Vigilante reward tier description should probably have a "for" after "looking," if it's possible to edit at this point in the process.

edit: For some actually interesting content, here's the brief description of my favorite MItNw character:
We have a 10' bullfrog man whose first encounter with humans was a hippie survivalist nudist colony. He lives in the colony because what frog wants to wear clothes and spends his time roaming the area near Great Smoky Mountains NP, eating annoying dogs and environmental criminals.
His hobbies include meditating by the commune pond seeing how many Canadian Geese he can catch with his eyes closed (the geese mess with the commune's duck herd) and composing bad poems praising god for the rise in mutants and their potential to help create a just world.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 11, 2022

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

potatocubed posted:

Apropos of nothing, but 'Little Blue Bird of Hackiness' is extremely good.

Thanks, ha ha.

Bouquet posted:

The Mutant Vigilante reward tier description should probably have a "for" after "looking," if it's possible to edit at this point in the process.

As soon as somebody pledges, it's locked in stone, ooops.

That is a strange and cool mutant, and boy, does he sound well-fed.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm sure someone must have done this already, but I got sick of flipping back and forth through the pdf to make a character so I made a Google sheet that does all the number crunching for you.

MitN Number Cruncher

It does nothing else, so you still need the game to make use of it, but it cuts down on chargen time by a lot.

(It also may be buggy. I haven't done a thorough test.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Oh wow, I need to check that out when I've had a bit to rest, but in the meantime...

Mutants in the Next
has funded! I owe it to everybody who's joined in with the project, backed, spread the word, and did me all sorts of favors. Thanks!

That gets us to eyeing the first stretch goal at $22,000, which is to get Crystal Frasier to write an adventure! To say she has a lot of experience in that from her time at Paizo and Green Ronin is understating it, and I'd love to bring her on board. So spread the word if you can, and hopefully we can start bringing a whole crew on board.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

We've hit the first stretch goal, which adds an adventure by Crystal Frasier! But we're so close to adding art by Darren M.A. Calvert, who does brilliant black-and-white art like-

- and it's just a little more to tip over and it's driving me nuts, so give it a gander. I'm really looking forward to seeing what support in this final week reveals!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

ARB, you managed to include all of my top species ideas in your new list. That's great in that I don't have to pick between, but now I'm not sure what I can add.

Any suggestions from fellow Project GOON members? Maybe Emperor Penguin?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was going to suggest honey badger but ARB is, as expected, one step ahead of me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Penguins are pretty great and seem like they'd be a fun species.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ancient races resurrected, where is the Moa?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Bring in another era-appropriate work involving genetic manipulation and do some raptors from Jurassic Park.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bouquet posted:

Bring in another era-appropriate work involving genetic manipulation and do some raptors from Jurassic Park.

I feel like dinosaurs might be a good supplement on their own. I can't imagine ARB hasn't thought of an homage to Transdimensional TMNT.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Napoleon Nelson posted:

ARB, you managed to include all of my top species ideas in your new list. That's great in that I don't have to pick between, but now I'm not sure what I can add.

Any suggestions from fellow Project GOON members? Maybe Emperor Penguin?

I hesitate to bring it up, but emperor penguins are in Mutants in the Now - you can find the original animal tables here.

That being said...

You can always trust in my ability to find another interesting analogous member of a species. For example, the short-tailed gray opossum was added when a backer just gave me the Virginia opossum in the original book, and I offered that one, and it really fits because it's actually used as a lab animal relatively often for various reasons, and is also an interesting predator in that it's really dangerous for its (miniscule) size. So it was a strong contrast, and I can offer alternatives if you get stuck. And there are, indeed, tons of cool penguins out there on those ice and rocks.

Bouquet posted:

Gee, I haven't even gotten to wombats yet!

That being said, I do plan to have a genemod that got cut from Now that's definitely along those lines, though a little... off from what one might expect.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I hesitate to bring it up, but emperor penguins are in Mutants in the Now - you can find the original animal tables here.

lol that's what I get for not bringing my copy with me on vacation.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Went through character creation and a simple scenario with a buddy to learn the rules and have a few things:

-I see that there's a fillable pdf and a basic autocalculating google sheet now that I am looking for it. Are there any fancier autocalculating character/character creation sheets out there that I should be aware of before I go nuts on one of my own? (Messing with ridiculous character sheet spreadsheets is my jam because I am weird.)

-Has anyone made a rules quick summary? We definitely struggled with having to flip between a bunch of different spots. The fight scenes reference is good, but I am looking for something that covers the even more basic stuff like when you roll which dice, what advantage/disadvantage means, etc.

-Is it possible to get a reduced art version of the book/sheets? Acrobat struggled mightily once I looked through more than 20 pages and crashed a couple times.* It would also make print on demand at home much cheaper. (I'm thinking especially about making copies of the character creation section for everyone to work through together.) I think just removing the page backgrounds would be enough to make a big difference and maybe wouldn't be a huge amount of work?

*Yes, yes, get a better PDF viewer, I know.

edit: I started working on a fancy sheet anyway: WIP

On page 58 of the Revised Edition Core Rules, which I think is the most recent version, this line should be removed: "The specific percentage values are determined by the chart on this page."

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 23, 2023

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Before you know it, Mutants In The Next will be out in the wild. Some of us have kickstarter PDFs in our grubby hands already. You know what that means... Project GOON is getting reinforcements. Let's Mutate!

To kick things off, I'm gonna make one of the new options available in MitNext: a human! That's right, out of all the new, interesting options ARBco gave us, I'm gonna make just some guy. Who may or may not have psychic powers. We'll see.

So, for normal humans, a couple things change in the steps we've already done. They get three additional takebacks in Step 2. They don't have to worry about the species tables in Step 4, although there are some optional tables they can use.

We'll need to start with Step 3: Attributes. That's 4d6 down the line, 8 times, which gives me Cognition 11, Strength 11, Dtermination 16, Prowess 15, Affinity 15, Endurance 14, Perception 20, Speed 14. These are some pretty nice rolls, but since I've got takebacks to burn and nothing else to use them on, I'm going to reroll Cog and Str. The new results are 15 and 7. I'll take the 15 for Cog, keep the 11 for Str, and reroll it again, getting 16. That's good enough for me. Final stats: Cog 15, Str 16, Det 16, Pro 15, Aff 15, End 14, Per 20, Spd 14. This gives me a bonus GOO-P of 35, which I can use on psychic powers or buffing my attributes further.

Back to Step 4: Your Origin Story, we're gonna hit those tables. A Height result of 72 says they're Above Average, or about 10% taller than normal for their Size Rating. Weight is also a 72 after the modifier from Height, which is also Above Average, 4% heavier than normal for their Size Rating. Parentage & Siblings is a roll of 07, which is a Two-Parent Household, with an additional roll of 63 giving us two siblings. Human Social Class is an 80, for Lower Middle Class, which gives us a Basic or Science skill package. Adult Opportunities is 23, High School Graduate, which means I get a Basic or Street skill package, -35% on the Wealth chart, and I roll on the Precarious Occupations chart. That roll is 08, for Breaker, but I want to try that again, so I spend one of my remaining takebacks and get 42, Groundskeeper, which I like better. That gives me the Farming or Service skill package, two advances, +1 Str and +1 End.

So, so far we have a tall, husky fellow who's honestly kind of a beast, who got his start as a groundskeeper, possibly for the Project GOON headquarters. I like it.

Step 5: Let's Mutate! Except, uh, there's not a lot of mutating going on here. Humans are automatically Size 10, Primate classification, Diet: Omnivore, Movement: Bipedal, Prehensility: Prehensile, Speech: Vocal, and Mask: Perfect, and I can't spend GOO-P on any traits. What I can spend it on is enhancing attributes, buying psychic powers, and upping some secondary attributes. Looking at the psychic powers first, I waffle a bit on whether he should be telepathic or telekinetic, but eventually settle on telekinetic, and take the powers Telekinetic Levitation, Telekinetic Manipulation, and Telekinetic Shove. Normally this would add up to 40 GOO-P and be more than I have to spend, but purchasing multiple powers of the same type (in this case, Telekinetic) gives you a discount, bringing the cost down to 34, just within budget.

Next is Step 6: How You Fight. As a human with a Precarious Occupation, I have access to Sport styles, although I could trade in hobbies for access to Street or Tradition. I'll forgo that and just take Pressure Pugilist, so I know how to box. This will give me +1 Str and +5 SHT.

Step 7: Getting Good is where most of the bookkeeping happens. As a human, I have a Basic or Street package, a Basic or Science package, the Farming or Service package, a number of hobbies equal to my Cognition modifier (plus 6 for being a human), a number of specialty skills equal to my Cognition modifier (plus one for being a human), and two skill advances from my occupation. I'm going to go with Industrial, Automotive, and Service for my packages, giving me +1 Per, +1 Spd, +1 Cog, +1 Str, +2 Aff, and another +1 Spd. Now I need to finalize my attributes so I know what my skill values will be. I have Cog 16, Str 19, Det 16, Pro 15, Aff 17, End 15, Per 21, Spd 16. My packes give me Driver, Mechanic, Roadways, Electrician, Maintenance, Operator, Organization, Process, Tolerance, and I have 9 hobby skills to select and can make 4 of my skills specialties. I'm going to spend two hobbies on getting chain and staff proficiency (I'll get other proficiencies from my gear later on), and the other 7 on Smithing, Laborer, Assess, Mistrust, Crops, Haggle, and Visual Arts, with my specialties being Visual Arts, Mechanic, Smithing, and Tolerance. Now I die inside a little as I look at all the crossrefrencing I have to do, buckle down for a bit, and end up with:

Specialties: Mechanic 75%/+4%, Smithing 65%/+4%, Tolerance 67%/+4%, Visual Arts 74%/+5%
Package: Driver 71%/+4%, Electrician 66%/+4%, Maintenance 71%/+4%, Operator 71%/+4%, Organization 62%/+4%, Process 62%/+4%, Roadways 71%/+4%
Hobbies: Assess 62%/+5%, Crops 62%/+5%, Haggle 64%/+5%, Laborer 60%/+4%, Mistrust 64%/+5%

(The above figures include spending my two advances on Mechanic and Electrician)

Step 8: Get Stuff is pretty simple by comparison. Humans get a basic equipment package unless their occupation says otherwise, Citizenship as a bonus gimmick, and two more bonus gimmicks from the following list: Automobile, Credentials, Degree, and License. Our basic package gives us concealing clothes, a cellphone/smartphone, a pack, a non-burst weapon or basic gimmick, and then we choose a set for additional stuff. We're going with Mechanic, which gives us a full toolkit, a weapon, a basic gimmick, and another -10% to our wealth roll. For our gimmicks, we're going to take Automobile and License in addition to Citizenship from the bonuses we got, and The ****ing Manual (Electrician) as another. Our weapons will be a knife and a large, heavy wrench (baton). Now, we roll on the Wealth table, with a total modifier of -45%. I roll a 27, modified to -18, which is Side Hustle. We're involved in some sort of low-risk criminal activity on the side, and start with $500 in our pocket.

Finally, Step 9: Wrapping Up starts by asking for a name. I'm gonna call this guy Maurice 'Moe' Robinson. Moe needs three values to represent what he fights for; I'll go with Creativity, Fairness, and Sincerity. Seconfary attributes are next. Initiative is Per+Spd, or +8. Defense is 10+Pro+Spd, so 15, and Morale is 10+Det+Per, so 18. Superficial Harm Threshold is the SHT we get from our size (25) plus our Endurance and Determination scores (plus our fighting style bonus) for a total of 61, and our Hit Points are our Endurance times two, or 30. Starting Willpower is our Det mod, so 3. Contacts, which we'll handle next, is based on Aff, so that'll be 3. Lifting Power is Strength x 10 x our size mod, coming in at 190 lbs. Finally, Move Rate is our speed in feet per three seconds, calculated as Size x 3 plus Speed x 3, for a total of 78. The last thing we do for this character is make our contacts. A Contact rating of 3 gives us one contact with 3 skills. We could randomly generate this, but I'm gonna say this is an old friend of Moe's that he works the side hustle with, and their skills are Fence, Filch, and Streetwise.

And we're done! Moe, the large, beefy groundskeeper who was promoted to agent status after his telekinetic talents were discovered, is ready to report for duty in Project GOON.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just to make absolutely sure I'm Doing It Right, with human-born mutants you still buy up your Prehensility or your Mask to whatever level you want, it's just you originally were completely human in appearance but now you have cat ears and a tail because my rolls say I'm making a Puma Sister. (Literally, I rolled cougar.)

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yep, the only difference between human-born and regular at step 5 is the ability to swap out some of your enhanceable attributes.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Will be ordering soon. If this gets my SO away from DnD you will be a personal hero.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

There are 136 skills between Now and Next: Combined summary
I was at the step of picking 8 hobby skills for my human born mutant and didn't want to flip between the two books so much. Alien Rope Burn I know you said somewhere in one of the books to let people be pretty free with which skill they use for a roll so don't worry about all the overlap, but this is just kind of exhausting to contemplate. Even my friends who are nostalgic about the Palladium stuff in theory aren't going to be excited about poring through all this in TYOL 2023 as busy adults.
I may try to condense this down somewhat to try to reduce the overwhelm.

edit: Here's a WIP list of condensed stuff.
Customer service: Tolerance, Composure, Persistence
Intimidation: Authority, Berate, Questioning
Animal handling: Companionship, Livestock, Mounting, Riding, Roping, Trainer, Whisperer
Mathematics: Abstraction, Numbers
Hunting: Baiting, Patrol, Stalk, Track, Traps
Athletics: Athletics, Balls, Climbing, Evade, Parachuting, Skate, Skiing, Stability, Surfing, Swimming, Zero-G
Caretaking: Assistance, Caretaking
Teaching: Explain, Teach
Tactics: Breach, Predict, Stratagem, Terrain
Rescue: Rescue, Search
Teamwork: Coordination, Organize

I get why many of these are broken out the way they are; they are distinct skills with different training or natural talents. I'm just not sure I care that much for purposes of playing a game that managing a dairy herd is a very different set of capabilities from roping a calf out on the range which is very different from understanding what an animal's behavior says about their internal state.
And sure, Athletics maybe becomes kind of a god skill, but is it so bad in this game about skateboarding mutant piranhas that being six X-Games athletes in one person is widespread?

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 1, 2023

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mutants in the Next is publicly available now, for the record! You can find all the relevant links at the j/k! Games webpage. I'm super proud of the toolbox tome we put together for you folks. (Art above by Sophie Campbell.)

Dawgstar posted:

Just to make absolutely sure I'm Doing It Right, with human-born mutants you still buy up your Prehensility or your Mask to whatever level you want, it's just you originally were completely human in appearance but now you have cat ears and a tail because my rolls say I'm making a Puma Sister. (Literally, I rolled cougar.)

Yeah, doing a "reverse process" from human towards animal was considered, but it added a lot of complexity for the purposes of gamefeel, and I didn't feel tacking on a separate system would have helped.

Bouquet posted:

Alien Rope Burn I know you said somewhere in one of the books to let people be pretty free with which skill they use for a roll so don't worry about all the overlap, but this is just kind of exhausting to contemplate. Even my friends who are nostalgic about the Palladium stuff in theory aren't going to be excited about poring through all this in TYOL 2023 as busy adults.
I may try to condense this down somewhat to try to reduce the overwhelm.

As discussed better in Next, skills are meant to be a form of characterization and RP prompt more than necessarily being prohibitive, so there's intentional overlap. There's a reason the rules typically just reference making a "dramatic roll" rather than a specific skill, if you miss out on a particular named skill, or if you want to suggest new skills, that's fine. It's intended to be loose and evocative.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
ARB are you working up to a complete replacement for all palladium games? please say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Got my shipment in the mail, opened it up and read some stuff through. The antagonists and the future-tech stuff in Next are pretty interesting!

I have a question about the little pack-in game, Faith & Sails. The rules say that if you can't match an objective with one die, you can add multiple dice to reach it, but lose all but the highest die. But if you can't match an objective at all, you get the option to give up one supply or a die that wasn't involved in the challenge.

This seems strictly better than combining dice most times and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Does it only count as a success if you combine dice instead of making a sacrifice?

Have you got to combine dice if the option's available to you?

Or is it just that actually holding dice back from a challenge is a bit of a luxury, like supply, which you're not always going to have?