Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, chargen is really fun. I ended up waffling on some of the finer details, since I didn't have campaign context, but even without spending takebacks I ended up with a guinea pig industrial spy I'd happily bring to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sure, I'll give group chargen a shot once I'm home from work. (Weirdly, my test character was also an Agent/Employee, but hey, it's a good origin.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

As the backer responsible for the winged pig: yesssss very good

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Let's Make Another Agent of GOON

Let's start with rolling stats. Here's my initial stat line:

quote:

Cognition 20
Strength 8
Determination 8
Prowess 15
Affinity 12
Endurance 21
Perception 16
Speed 10

Pretty good on the whole, but that Determination is a big oof; I'm willing to see how a low-Strength character works, but I'm not sure I want a mutant who can't take the heat of GOON assignments. I spend a takeback point to reroll Det and get an 18(!), which I'll take. This character isn't the best in a fight, at least not melee, but is whip-smart and tough as nails. This stat line gives me 12+2+5+8-2+4+10 = 39 GOO-P to take into the next step.

Onto Step 4, the species step. I roll a 72, or Lab Species, which seems fitting (also, like Tsilkani mentioned, is 50% of the range of this table, so not a great candidate for a reroll). I could flip-flop to 27 to go Wild, but I think Lab fits the background fine. I roll a 10 on the table, which gives us... Chimpanzee, Common! Kind of weird with the Strength, but that's maybe interesting. That said, I'd like a second choice, so I spend another takeback point on a potential reroll. This gives me 47, or... Monkey, Rhesus Macaque. The game is really wanting me to make a simian today, I guess? I decide to go with Rhesus Macaque, since it fits better with a low-Strength character, and also I've never been clear how anthro chimps are supposed to work.

For a little fun, I decide to roll on the Personalization Tables. I roll a 47 again (really?) on Table F-1, which marks my character as below-average in height -- 1d10% below average for my size rating, which I roll as 1%, and a -5% to rolls on the next table, Weight. I roll a 49 for weight, modified to 44, so my character is 1d10% lighter than my size rating. I roll a 9% here, so clearly I've got a gangly little monkey on my hands.

Tables F-3 through F-5 are all elements of backstory. I roll a 91 for Life Before Mutation, or "Sudden Upheaval" -- some kind of disaster in my character's early life that forced them to survive, but "humanity wasn't directly involved." That's a little confusing for a lab species, so I'm going to treat it as referring to a calamity outside of human control, not necessarily my character being born in the wild. (Google does not clarify for me whether rhesus macaques used in laboratories are captive-bred. I'm assuming they are.) For Table F-4, Mutation Peers, I roll a 35: "You mutated entirely alone." Presumably my character was a solitary experiment subject. I roll a 68 on Table F-5, How You Learned To Fight, which gives me Online Learning; my little weirdo learned martial arts from Youtube videos, it looks like! GOON R&D should probably improve their Internet filters.

Onward to Step 5, where we spend all this GOO-P and mutate. Rhesus macaques start with 23 GOO-P, which adds to 39 earlier to give us a pool of 62 to play with. We start at Size 6, or about 2 1/2 feet tall; Size 9 or 10 would take us to the average human height range, but Size 10 substantially improves our Lift mod (1/2 to 1), so I'm going to spend 8 points to move to Size 10. This puts us at (a bit shorter than) 6'. Now, onto Anthropomorphic Traits. As you'd expect from a primate, rhesus macaques start a little closer to human than most animals: semi-bipedal, with grasping limbs as default. I spend 2 GOO-P to go from Herbivore to Omnivore (I think this character isn't very picky about what they eat), 5 to go from Semi-Bipedal to Bipedal, and 5 to go from Grasping to Prehensile limbs. Finally, there's Speech and Mask. For this character, I'm inclined to spend a little more aggressively on being humanlike than I might for another character, especially if I'm taking Mendel and Ruthie into account as my teammates; I figure one of this character's niches as an Agent of GOON is to be able to pass as human for stealth or daylight-ops purposes. With that in mind, I spend 5 GOO-P to upgrade from Nonvocal to Vocal and 5 more to upgrade from Bestial to Kemonomimi Mask: plausibly human-looking, but with a tail (down the back of their pants in stealth mode), big ears, and sort of shaggy sideburn-y hair, maybe weird on a woman. Also, I guess this character is a woman? I probably should have decided that earlier.

32 GOO-P left, and onto Animal Traits, which are pretty minimal for macaques. I'll spend 5 GOO-P for the Arboreal trait, and 5 more for Natatorial, which makes her comfortable both climbing and swimming. I spend 5 more GOO-P for the macaque's special Animal Trait, Prankster, which grants advantage to breaking into places and stealing things, plus adds Distract as a combat maneuver. I'll spend 4 more GOO-P to buy all the macaque's minor traits: Communal, Cheek Pouches, Grasping Feet, and Nearly Human. Most of these are just fun bennies, but Nearly Human allows me to choose an extra stat to be able to enhance from Cognition, Determination, Affinity, or Perception. I'll choose Affinity here (Cog and Det are already on the macaque list, and my Perception is fine as-is), plus Speed as my free bonus.

I have 13 GOO-P left, and I'm inclined to spend it on stat increases instead of psionics. I can boost Cog, Det, Prowess, Speed, and Affinity. I decide to drop 6 points each into Speed and Affinity, for +3 each, doubled for Speed since it started at 10; that gives me a Speed of 16 and an Affinity of 15. That leaves me with one precious point, which I'll drop into Prowess to give it a +1 and taking it to 18.

Next, it's time to choose a fighting style! I can choose from Sports, Street, Wild, or Secret thanks to the Agent/Employee background. Given that we're talking about a monkey who learned to fight from Youtube videos, I'm going to go for Tricking here: "a combination of gymnastics, breakdancing, and flashy martial arts forged into a demonstration discipline." This gives me +1 Prowess (up to 19) and +2 Speed (up to 18).

Now it's time for Step 7, or picking skill packages: for our Agent of GOON, this means one basic, two covert/military/professional, and two hobbies, plus more hobbies equal to COG bonus (+4 right now). For my Basic package, I'm going to take Traversal to synergize with my Arboreal and Natatorial traits; I'm going to stick with the three core skills (Athletics, Climbing, and Swimming), although Escape and First Aid are pretty nice too. This gives another +1 to Prowess and Speed, taking them to 20 and 19. Next, I'm going to take the covert Thief package, which gives a further +1 Prowess (21!) and Burglary, Fence, and Filch as its base skills. Our girl doesn't steal to sell, so Fence doesn't make much sense, and I swap it for Sneak. Finally, I decide my last skill package will be Handler, which deals with animal handling and makes sense for a character who grew up in a lab. This grants +1 Affinity and Perception, for 16 Affinity and 17 Perception total, and the skills Companionship, Trainer, and Whisperer. I think my character is less about the training and more about animal friendship, so I swap out Trainer for First Aid.

Next, it's time to pick Hobbies and Specialties. For the hobbies, I go with a mix of stuff she'd learn in the lab (Biology, Genetics), bonus sneak-thiefery (Escape, Hide, Camouflage), and one actual hobby (Driver). I now get to promote four of these skills to Specialties. I automatically get Climbing and Swimming as Specialty skills from my Arboreal and Natatorial traits, plus three advances since they're package skills. The four skills I choose to promote are Athletics (this character is very physical), Sneak and Filch (she's a well-trained sneak-thief), and Companionship (she has a very strong affinity for animals). At this point, I'll reiterate my final stat block before we start doing skill calculations:

quote:

Cognition 20
Strength 8
Determination 18
Prowess 21
Affinity 16
Endurance 21
Perception 17
Speed 19

Specialty Skills: Athletics, Climbing, Sneak, Filch, Companionship, Swimming
Package Skills: Burglary, Sneak, Whisperer, First Aid
Hobby Skills: Biology, Escape, Hide, Camouflage, Genetics, Driver

Once we crunch the numbers and derive values, here's how the skills shake out:

quote:

Specialty Skills: Athletics 72%/+4%, Climbing 90%/+5%, Sneak 72%/+4%, Filch 75%/+5%, Companionship 68%/+4%, Swimming 84%/+4%
Package Skills: Burglary 71%/+4%, Sneak 68%/+4%, Whisperer 64%/+4%, First Aid 70%/+4%
Hobby Skills: Biology 66%/+4%, Escape 68%/+5%, Hide 71%/+5%, Camouflage 64%/+4%, Genetics 66%/+4%, Driver 64%/+4%

Pretty solid overall, and Climbing and Swimming are gross. Nice.

Moving onto Getting Stuff! I choose the Agent Package (inconspicuous clothing, commlink set, one agent gimmick), then go for the Spy Set (duffel bag of spare clothes, cell phone, two basic or agent gimmicks, and +0% wealth). For my first agent gimmick, I choose the high-tech lockpick for a bonus on opening one type of lock (I choose electronic, so I assume this is a keycard or whatnot). For my two spy gimmicks, I'm going to go from the Basic list and pick Citizenship and License, which in her case is a driver's license. This monkey is a legal person, and she can legally drive! When GOON lends her a fleet vehicle, that is...

One thing she doesn't seem to start with, I note, is a weapon. We'll see how that works out.

Rolling on Wealth gives me an 11, modified by +0% from Spy (so, 11), which means Ready Money: $300 in cash, as it happens. Walking-around money is nice and all, but it'd be nicer to be banked, so I spend my last takeback point on a reroll of this percentile roll. This gives me a 92: Trust Fund, baby! With $15,000 and, hopefully, a bank account! This will definitely help when she tries to pass as human and obtain goods and services.

At last, it's time to Wrap Up. For names, I'm going with a regular human one, to match this extremely Regular Human character: Kathleen "Kathy" Okazaki, who is on paper the adopted daughter of one of the scientists from her home lab. (Kathy is unusually close to her scientists and handlers, who prioritized evacuating her and the other animals during the hurricane that destroyed their original facility prior to getting brought on by GOON, and particularly Dr. Maria Okazaki, her adopted mother and primary force behind Kathy having legal personhood and some financial security.) Her core values are Mercy, Justice, and Adventure; she's very concerned with animal welfare in both GOO-P and conventional labs, and wants abusers of both mutants and non-mutated animals brought to justice, but she's also just in this for a good time. My CTCT is +3, which gives me a single contact with three skills. Rolling on the Random Contact table gives me an interesting person: Charles Mohammed, a covert agent with forensic experience who dabbles in forestry, and who's taken a professional interest in mutant animals. This can only end well.

Here's the finished character sheet:

quote:

Kathleen "Kathy" Okazaki
Background: Experimentation Result, Agent/Employee
Values: Mercy, Justice, Adventure
Species: Monkey, Rhesus Macaque
Size: 10 (5'11", underweight)
Diet: Omnivore
Movement: Bipedal
Prehensility: Prehensile
Speech: Vocal
Mask: Kemonomimi
Animal Traits: Arboreal, Natatorial, Prankster, Communal, Cheek Pouches, Grasping Feet, Nearly Human
Psionic Powers: None

Cognition 20
Strength 8
Determination 18
Prowess 21
Affinity 16
Endurance 21
Perception 17
Speed 19

Initiative: +7
Defense: 19
Morale: 17
SHT: 76
HP: 44
WILL: +5
CTCT: +3 (Charles Mohammed, Covert Agent/Forester/Forensic Scientist: Tradecraft, Gather, Forensics; Professional Interest)
LIFT: 80
MOVE: 109

Specialty Skills: Athletics 72%/+4%, Climbing 90%/+5%, Sneak 72%/+4%, Filch 75%/+5%, Companionship 68%/+4%, Swimming 84%/+4%
Package Skills: Burglary 71%/+4%, Sneak 68%/+4%, Whisperer 64%/+4%, First Aid 70%/+4%
Hobby Skills: Biology 66%/+4%, Escape 68%/+5%, Hide 71%/+5%, Camouflage 64%/+4%, Genetics 66%/+4%, Driver 64%/+4%
Proficiencies: n/a

Fighting Style: Tricking (Frontflip: when I dash into melee and unbalance a foe, if I stay in melee, I can change Unbalanced to Stunned. Backflip: when I retreat from melee, I can unbalance a foe who was in melee with me.)
Supported Maneuvers: Barrage, Counter, Grab, Lash, Knockdown, Distract (from Prankster)
Package Abilities: (Traversal) Avoid +D due to rough or narrow terrain; (Thief) +A to dramatic rolls to escape law, can escape unnamed cops without WILL expenditure; (Handler) Primates will not become hostile unless I threaten them, and companions cannot be hurt or disabled unless I'm at SHT.

Gear: Inconspicuous clothing, duffel bag of spare clothing, commlink, cell phone, high-tech lockpick (electronic locks), citizenship, driver's license, $15,000 in trust fund

When she's not on duty, Kathy can be found watching parkour videos on Youtube, doing parkour somewhere she's probably not supposed to be, and window-shopping for motorcycles.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, that's a good point. I assumed it was acceptable because it was a randomized percentile roll as part of chargen, but I might be wrong.

On the subject of takeback usage, a quick question: the "reroll a percentile" option specifies that you can roll again if "the result is the same as before." Does that mean the actual chart result, or just the raw number on the dice? If you roll a different number with the same chart result, can you reroll, or are you stuck with it?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I don't think it'd be an issue as long as you made sure to have your attributes rolled and total GOO-P calculated before you go to Step 5, but I will say that having the attributes already rolled flavors decisions about background, species, and takeback usage a lot, IMHO. It helps you have a baseline of the character in your head before you make the meatier chargen decisions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, also missed Secret of the Goop this time around, but I'm pleased things are found well! Will back at a regular level once I'm at my home PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Penguins are pretty great and seem like they'd be a fun species.