Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I like how there's a rule (in the print version, though I don't see it in the digital) that applies only to 12 people in the world, especially since I'm one of them.

I haven't gotten it to the table yet but I've had fun with character creation, definitely has the feel of a mini-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough, Tsilkani!

Here are my rolled stats:

quote:

Cognition: 14
Determination: 21
Affinity: 15
Perception: 13
Strength: 14
Prowess: 17
Endurance: 10
Speed: 7

Based on the institutional background, my first thought was a hunter or tracker, not fast but implacable in pursuit. I chose not to spend any takebacks on the speed or endurance, and figured I'd see where it took me.

And then I rolled 00/68 for my species. A flying pig. Okay, I can deal with this.

Flying pig stats posted:

Size rating: 10
GOO-P: +18
Enhance: Affinity, Perception, Endurance
Basic Traits: Suidae (genemod), Winged, Omnivore, Zoomorphic: Independent Flight
Major Traits: Enhanced Scent (5 GOO-P, Rooting: +2 GOO-P), Flight (15 GOO-P), Sharp Sight (5 GOO-P), Tough Hide (5 GOO-P)
Minor Traits: Enhanced Hearing, Hooves, Rot Digestion, Toxin Digestion
Heavy Landing (Flight + 5 GOO-P): When moving into a melee while flying, any attempt by you to knockdown or press is +A until the end of your turn.

I decided to keep with my initial concept and spent my 66 GOO-P as follows:

quote:

Enhance Endurance: -6
Enhance Perception: -6
Flight: -15
Heavy Landing: -5
Enhanced Scent: -5
Sharp Sight: -5
Semi-vocal: -2
Telekinetic manipulation: -8
Telekinetic shove: -13
Hooves: -1

A winged pig (I'm picturing giant bat wings) who can't walk on two legs or manipulate objects directly, but who can fly and has telekinesis instead. She can't pass for human, but uses her senses to complete the tasks the institution sends her to do.

For fighting skill, I take Pursuit Predator because it seems to fit both with her dogged personality and the knockdown/press opportunities from Heavy Landing. I take Hunting (subbing Track for Baiting) as a basic skill package, Clandestine (subbing Shadowing for Mislead) as a covert package, and Explosives (subbing chemistry for artillery) as a military package (sometimes the targets she's tracking have to be eliminated with extreme prejudice).

Then I take Philosophy and Meditation as hobbies (she's got a lot of time alone to think) as well as Vigilance and Burglary (you break into enough places and you'll find some interesting stuff).

I take a basic equipment package and the everyday set. It turns out I have access to a bank account with $3,000 in it. As someone who's followed some gruesome orders in her day, I decide her values are mercy, enlightenment, and passion. She's got 2 contacts: Quinn Anderson, a lifeguard who's interested in the weird, and Jackie Lawson, a rancher who's a member of a shady organization.

Here are the final stats for Ruthie PV-19:

Ruthie PV-19: Stealth Pig posted:

Cognition: 14
Determination: 22
Affinity: 15
Perception: 17
Strength: 14
Prowess: 20
Endurance: 17
Speed: 10

Package skills: Camouflage (72%/+4%), Traps (64%/+3%), Track (72%/+4%), Chemistry (64%/+3%), Rocketry (72%/+3%), Demolitions (72%/+4%), Snoop (72%/+4%)
Hobbies (4): Philosophy (58%/+4%), Meditation (64%/+5%), Vigilance (60%/+4%), Burglary (64%/+4%)
Specialty Skills (2): Shadowing (64%/+4%), Sneak (64%/+4%)

Equipment:
Basic package: concealing clothes, smartphone, pack, rocket launcher
Everyday set: grooming kit, casual companion (rat named that rides on her head), stun baton
Wealth: Bank account ($3,000)

Ruthie PV-19
Values: Mercy, enlightenment, passion

Secondary attributes:
Initiative: +3
Defense: 14
Morale: 19
SHT: 77
HP: 37
WILL: 6
CTCT: 2
LIFT: 140
MOVE: 60

The fire rages behind her as she trots away from the ruined facility, the rumble of the explosion still echoing off the hills. Lucas grabs her smartphone from her pack and holds it up in front of her face. Without any apparent effort, the screen shifts and dials "HOME" from the contacts list. The line connects, but no one on the other end answers.

She grunts, "It's Agent Ruthie. Target eliminated."

Without waiting for a reply the call ends. Lucas returns the phone to the pack and takes a position on top of her head. Once he's secure, she picks up speed, spreading her vast bat-like wings and taking to the sky. In the distance behind her the flashing lights of fire trucks appear on the horizon.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

As the backer responsible for the winged pig: yesssss very good

Excellent choice. I was going to pick my Hyena, but the stats just didn't feel right.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Keeping Sophie's involvement mum is probably one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life, and I have a exciting list of other tabletop notables to get involved through stretch goals! I'm looking to make more Mutants, and make it a big deal, so please spread the word! It'll have human-born mutants, wild mutations, new species, new mutations, new fighting styles, new villains, and much more. Join me for the Next mutation!

also prepare for embarrassing overuse of the word "next"

I'm very excited to see what Sophie comes up with, amazing that you were able to get her on board and keep quiet about it.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm in! Excited to pick another animal

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

ARB, you managed to include all of my top species ideas in your new list. That's great in that I don't have to pick between, but now I'm not sure what I can add.

Any suggestions from fellow Project GOON members? Maybe Emperor Penguin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I hesitate to bring it up, but emperor penguins are in Mutants in the Now - you can find the original animal tables here.

lol that's what I get for not bringing my copy with me on vacation.