Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

This game is real good. Everyone who had a good experience with the old Palladium TMNT game should buy this, it captures some of that magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

This thread needs more love than just a bunch of short posts, so I'm gonna go ahead and do some character creation so folks can see what you get. And there'll be audience participation! (sorta)

So, Step 1 is determine how your group works together. You have three options: Diverse Group, Connected Group, and Family Group. Diverse is everyone rolls up separately, then you figure out how you all work together. Connected means you're all products of the same experiment/accident, but different species, while Family has you share an origin and a species. For our purposes, we're going to choose Connected: one origin, many species. This decision is also important for...

Step 2: Cursing Your Dice! This is one of the little touches of modern game design that makes MitN an improvement over the Palladium games. So, just like TMNT, there's a lot of random generation in character creation: attributes, origin, species. However, MitN makes things a little easier on you with takebacks, points you can spend to reroll dice or otherwise adjust the outcome in certain steps. In Diverse Groups, each player gets 4 takebacks to use, while Connected and Family Groups provide 3 takebacks to each player, plus 3 group takebacks that can only be used when determining shared details (origin and/or species). Takebacks are only used during the Attribute, Origin, and Species steps; anything left over is simply converted into extra health at the end.

Step 3 is rolling your Attributes, but I'm actually gonna skip over that for the moment and go to Step 4: Origin Story, as the only other group step for a Connected Group. I roll a d100 for the main Source of Mutation table, and get a 98: Experimentation Result. This means our mutation was no accident, but deliberate tinkering by someone. This directs us to the Institutional Background table, where I roll 01: Rural Escape. So soon after we mutated, we escaped into the wilderness, and roll on Rural Background instead. I don't particularly care for that table, so I'm going to spend one of the group takebacks to reroll, getting 71: Agent/Employee. So we were mutated specifically to work for the organization. I like this much better, so even though we have 2 more group takebacks, I'll just leave them to be converted to health at the end. Our background gives us a basic skill package, 2 covert, military, or professional skill packages, two hobbies, one basic or agent equipment package, +10 SHT (Superficial Harm Threshold, think SDC), +2 Prowess, and +1 Will, as well as the option to take a secret combat style. A nice basket of options, overall. The final part of Step 4 is to roll your species, but I'll save that for when I make my individual character.

Here's where the audience participation comes in! If anyone else wants to make a character for this group, have at it, and help fill the ranks of Project GOON.

I'll put my individual character generation in the next post.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Whew, character creation takes much longer when I keep having to stop for work. Anyways, let's see what I end up with.

Backtracking a bit to Step 3: Attributes, I need to roll my 8 primary Attributes: Cognition, Strength, Determination, Prowess, Affinity, Endurance, Perception, and Speed. Rolling is pretty simple: 4d6 down the line, which gives us:

quote:

Cognition 16
Strength 15
Determination 19
Prowess 15
Affinity 11
Endurance 7
Perception 12
Speed 19

Overall a pretty good set of roles, but I really don't like that low Endurance. As much as I want to have all my takebacks for rolling on the Species tables, I'm going to spend one here to reroll Endurance and take the outcome of my choice. I get an 11 the second time around, which is good enough for me. So my character's strong and fast, smart, and incredibly stubborn. Attributes affect several things, but right now the only thing we need to worry about is Bonus GOO-P, the points we use to buy mutations in Step 5. The lower an attribute is, the more GOO-P you get, and if you happen to roll above a 20, you actually get GOO-P taken away. With my attributes, I get 4+5+1+5+9+9+8+1=42 GOO-P, on top of whatever my species gives me. (This calculation takes place at the end of Step 3, before I add the Prowess from the group background.)

Going back to Step 4, it's time to roll on the Species Tables. With an Institutional Background, we start on the Institutional Species table. Rolling an 81 directs me to the Lab Species table, and now I have to make a choice. I can spend a takeback to either flip my roll, turning it into an 18 for Pet Species, or I can reroll entirely, but the Institutional Species table is 50% Lab Species results, so I may gain nothing. After some deliberation, I reroll, and get... 11, so it looks like I'm doing Pet Species after all. Rolling there, I get a 16: Cat, American Shorthair. Just for fun, I blow my final takeback on a reroll, and get a 12, which is also Cat, American Shorthair, so clearly the dice had something in mind for me. At this point I also add the +2 to my Prowess from the background, bringing it to 17.

Step 5: Let's Mutate! Here's where all the fun happens. Now that I know what species I started as, I get to spend GOO-P on all sorts of things. To start with, let's take a look at Cat, American Shorthair:

So we've got Size Rating, which is how big we are, the GOO-P we get for this species, three attributes we can spend GOO-P on to enhance, the species' basic traits, which can matter for some abilities, the major and minor traits we can purchase, and any unique species traits available. There are also some traits that are universal, unless otherwise mentioned for a species: Movement: Quadrupedal, Prehensility: Locomotors, Speech: Nonvocal, and Mask: Bestial. All of these can be bought up with GOO-P, of course.

So, we'll start by adding our GOO-P together, 42+33=75, and then start spending. We'll start by looking at Size. I'm currently a 6, which is cat sized, so I'm going to spend 2+2+2=6 points to move up to a 9, around 5' feet tall. I could go taller, building for Working Cat, but I like the idea of a scrappy little guy. Next is Athropomorphic Traits. Diet starts at Carnivore, and I'll spend 1 point to move it to Facultative Carnivore. I can eat plants and other stuff without making myself sick, but most of my diet is meat. Movement is next: I start at Quadrupedal, spend 5 to move to Semi-Bipedal, and then another 5 to become fully Bipedal. Prehensility starts at Locomotors, and I'll spend another 10 to move through Grasping to Prehensile. Speech starts at Nonvocal, bought up to Vocal for a total of 5 points. Mask starts at Bestial and I'm going to leave it there, because who needs to look like a human? So far, we're down to 75-6-1-10-10-5=43 GOO-P.

Now for major and minor traits. I can only buy the traits listed in my Species, so I'm going to go ahead and spend 15 GOO-P for all the major traits except Cat Fancy. My character is less 'adorable, pettable' cat and more 'hell machine from the streets' cat. Minor traits only cost 1 GOO-P apiece, plus 1 GOO-P for each subtrait, I'm going to go ahead and spend 12 points to just grab everything listed there, for maximum cattitude. I'm going to pass up Working Cat, since I'm a little guy. That's another 27 GOO-P spent, leaving me 16.

The only other things to spend GOO-P on are attributes and psionic powers, so I'm going to do both. 6 points will get me +3 Perception, for a new total of 15. If it had originally been 10 or less, the gain would have been doubled, but alas. The final 10 points are going to be spent on Telekinetic Boost, allowing me to launch myself any direction I please, even through windows and other flimsy obstructions. I am my own Fastball Special.

Now we move on to Step 6: How You Fight. Instead of the various levels of Hand-to-Hand that Palladium games have, in MitN you just pick your core style, which gives you some attribute bonuses and abilities, with a list of supported maneuvers. Coming from an Institutional background, I can choose a Sport, Street, or Wild style, or Secret because of our specific origin. I'm going to pass on the secret style available and take Heihuquan instead, because it works nicely with some of the traits and abilities I have. This gives me +1 Strength and +2 Prowess, for a total of 16 and 19 respectively.

Step 7: Getting Good is where we finally select the skill packages and hobbies from our origin. We have one basic package, two covert, military, or professional packages, and two hobbies to select. I also gain an additional number of hobbies equal to my Cognition bonus (+3 in this case), and can choose a number of my skills equal to my Cognition bonus to be specialty skills, which start higher and improve faster. Each package gives some attribute bonuses, an ability, and three primary skills. You can choose to discard one of the primary skills to replace it with an optional skill listed, or further improve the remaining two primary skills. For my basic package, I'm going to take Traversal, further enhancing my character's ability to get around. I get +1 Prowess, +1 Speed, the ability to ignore some terrain disadvantages and extra movement, and the Athletics, Climbing, and Swimming skills. Since I'm a cat, I'm going to swap out Swimming for the Escape optional skill. For my other packages, I'm going to take Predator as a military package and Life Sciences as a professional package. Predator gives +1 Strength, the ability to get WILL from inflicting injuries, and Stalk, Track, and Vigilance as skills. Life Sciences gives +2 Cognition and +1 Affinity, the ability to determine some of a creature's traits, and Botany, Biology, and Genetics as skills. (The Cognition boost also bumps up my extra hobbies and specialty skill picks to 4.) Hobbies are just individual skills, without the other benefits of a package. For my 6 hobbies, I pick Sneak, First Aid, Diagnosis, Writing, Shadowing, and Forensics, and for my four specialties, I'll choose First Aid, Athletics, Shadowing, and Genetics. My character excels on the hunt, but has also picked up quite a bit of knowledge from the lab that mutated him in the first place. I could have also traded in hobbies for weapon proficiencies, but you get free proficiencies in any weapon you start with, and that's good enough for me.

The next part is probably the most complicated bit of character generation, so real quick, as a recap and reference, my character stands at:

quote:

Cognition 18
Strength 17
Determination 19
Prowess 20
Affinity 12
Endurance 11
Perception 15
Speed 20

Specialty Skills: Athletics, First Aid, Genetics, Shadowing
Package Skills: Biology, Botany, Climbing, Escape, Stalk, Track, Vigilance
Hobby Skills: Diagnosis, Forensics, Sneak, Writing

Now, to actually calculate the value of my skills, I have to do some cross-referencing. Each skill has two associated stats, and each stat has a base skill value and a skill gain value for when you level. For package skills, I use the higher attribute's base skill and the lower attribute's skill gain. For hobby skills, it's reversed; lower base skill, higher skill gain. Specialty skills use the higher attribute's base skill and skill gain, and add my Cognition modifier to the base value as well. So, after a little work, I end up with:

quote:

Specialty Skills: Athletics 74%/+4%, First Aid 70%/+4%, Genetics 72%/+4%, Shadowing 74%/+4%
Package Skills: Biology 68%/+4%, Botany 68%/+4%, Climbing 64%/+3%, Escape 70%/+4%, Stalk 60%/+3%, Track 68%/+4%, Vigilance 60%/+3%
Hobby Skills: Diagnosis 52%/+4%, Forensics 60%/+4%, Sneak 60%/+4%, Writing 66%/+4%

Now on to Step 8: Get Stuff. Gear is simply a matter of picking the package of your choice and making any decisions it asks you. I can have a basic package or agent package. I'm going to go with agent, giving me inconspicuous clothing, a commlink set, a gimmick, and a choice between a commando, martial, or spy set. I'm going to pick martial for three traditional weapons, a basic gimmick, and -30% on my wealth roll. Gimmicks are special items and options you can choose from depending on your package. I'm going to spend my agent gimmick on a Smoke or Flash Bomb, giving me a bonus on hiding or the ability to just leave a fight, and my universal gimmick is going to be spent on Citizenship, so I actually legally exist. My wealth roll comes up a 69, modified down to a 39, so I have $1,000 in cash or liquid assets on hand. Finally, for my three weapons, I choose basic knife, stun baton, and throwing blades.

Finally, we reach Step 9: Wrapping Up. For my character's name, I choose to pull from famous scientists and go with Mendel. I need to pick three Values that represent what I'm willing to fight for; I'm going with innovation, inclusivity, and freedom. Mendel is a strong proponent of the type of experimentation that resulted in his mutation, but he's also motivated by making sure the subjects of these experiments are considered people and treated as such. Secondary Attributes are various derived characteristics calculated using Attributes and Attribute modifiers. Initiative is your Perception and Speed modifiers added together (+6), Defense is 10 plus your Prowess and Speed modifiers (18), Morale is 10 plus Determination and Perception modifiers (16), Superficial Harm Threshold(SHT) is a base determined by my size, plus my Endurance, Determination, and any unused takebacks and other bonuses (64), HP is twice my Endurance plus unused takebacks (24), Willpower(WILL), spent to gain temporary bonuses, and is my Determination modifier, plus any bonuses (5), Contacts(CTCT) measures how many people I know that can lend a hand and is based on my Affinity bonus (+1), Lifting Power(LIFT) is what I can carry and is my Strength times 10 modified by my size (85), and Move Rate(MOVE) is the feet I can move in 3 seconds, calculated as my Size times 3 plus my Speed times 3, +25% because I took Traversal (109). My abysmal CTCT rating means I have one contact with one skill to call on; clearly Mendel is not a people person. Rolling on the handy Random Contact tables, my contact is Raphael Satou, an intelligence agent who helps me out because he likes assisting mutant animals. (FYI, Alien Rope Burn, the skill listed for Intelligence Agent on the Institutional Professions table is Spy, which isn't a skill.)

And that's everything! I present to you Mendel, one feline geneticist who will also stalk you across the city and psychically throw himself through drywall to claw your face off.

Mendel, Fast Feline posted:

Mendel
Background: Experimentation Result, Agent/Employee
Species: Cat, American Shorthair
Size: 9
Diet: Facultative Carnivore
Movement: Bipedal
Prehensility: Prehensile
Speech: Vocal
Mask: Bestial
Animal Traits: Enhanced Scent, Nightsight, Swift: Sprint, Claws (Ascent, Hooked, Retractable), Enhanced Hearing, Fall Righting, Spring Leap, Teeth (Slaying), Territorial, Ultrasonic Hearing, Whiskers
Psionic Powers: Telekinetic Boost

Cognition 18
Strength 17
Determination 19
Prowess 20
Affinity 12
Endurance 11
Perception 15
Speed 20

Initiative: +6
Defense: 18
Morale: 16
SHT: 64
HP: 24
WILL: 5
CTCT: +1 (Raphael Satou, intelligence agent)
LIFT: 85
MOVE: 109

Specialty Skills: Athletics 74%/+4%, First Aid 70%/+4%, Genetics 72%/+4%, Shadowing 74%/+4%
Package Skills: Biology 68%/+4%, Botany 68%/+4%, Climbing 64%/+3%, Escape 70%/+4%, Stalk 60%/+3%, Track 68%/+4%, Vigilance 60%/+3%
Hobby Skills: Diagnosis 52%/+4%, Forensics 60%/+4%, Sneak 60%/+4%, Writing 66%/+4%
Proficiencies: Baton, Knife, Throwing

Fighting Style: Heihuquan (Black Tiger Fist: Add a die of damage to my natural weapons or strength when performing a melee strike, Tiger Gate: When I reposition a foe, I inflict prone on them. When I inflict prone on a foe, I may reposition them, Supported Maneuvers: Bully, Knockdown, Knockout, Press, Reposition)
Package Abilities: A successful dramatic roll can let me know a creature's non-psionic anthropomorphic, zoological, and animal traits; When I inflict an injury or injuries on a target, gain 1 temporary WILL at the end of my turn; I may ignore any +D due to rough or narrow terrain.

Gear: Inconspicuous clothing, commlink set, bowie knife, stun baton, throwing knives, smoke bomb, citizenship, $1,000 liquid assets

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yesssss 'splosion pig!

Whoever designed Project GOON clearly did not care about having normal agents.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The stat lines for the turtles in the Palladium game have them at Looks: None, which would map to Bestial in this game, so clearly opinions vary.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yes, the ranks of Project GOON continue to grow! A good contrast to the flying pig and the upright tomcat, I like it.

Rules as written, you can't use a takeback on the wealth roll, since it's after step 5, but I think that might be because Step 5 is the last time you can adjust attributes and then there are no more random rolls, barring wealth. I don't think any GM would object to using it like you did.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I am very excited for more everything, and anxiously awaiting that page to go live.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

:siren::siren: IT'S HAPPENING :siren::siren:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arbco/mutants-in-the-next-expanding-the-mutant-animal-ttrpg

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Before you know it, Mutants In The Next will be out in the wild. Some of us have kickstarter PDFs in our grubby hands already. You know what that means... Project GOON is getting reinforcements. Let's Mutate!

To kick things off, I'm gonna make one of the new options available in MitNext: a human! That's right, out of all the new, interesting options ARBco gave us, I'm gonna make just some guy. Who may or may not have psychic powers. We'll see.

So, for normal humans, a couple things change in the steps we've already done. They get three additional takebacks in Step 2. They don't have to worry about the species tables in Step 4, although there are some optional tables they can use.

We'll need to start with Step 3: Attributes. That's 4d6 down the line, 8 times, which gives me Cognition 11, Strength 11, Dtermination 16, Prowess 15, Affinity 15, Endurance 14, Perception 20, Speed 14. These are some pretty nice rolls, but since I've got takebacks to burn and nothing else to use them on, I'm going to reroll Cog and Str. The new results are 15 and 7. I'll take the 15 for Cog, keep the 11 for Str, and reroll it again, getting 16. That's good enough for me. Final stats: Cog 15, Str 16, Det 16, Pro 15, Aff 15, End 14, Per 20, Spd 14. This gives me a bonus GOO-P of 35, which I can use on psychic powers or buffing my attributes further.

Back to Step 4: Your Origin Story, we're gonna hit those tables. A Height result of 72 says they're Above Average, or about 10% taller than normal for their Size Rating. Weight is also a 72 after the modifier from Height, which is also Above Average, 4% heavier than normal for their Size Rating. Parentage & Siblings is a roll of 07, which is a Two-Parent Household, with an additional roll of 63 giving us two siblings. Human Social Class is an 80, for Lower Middle Class, which gives us a Basic or Science skill package. Adult Opportunities is 23, High School Graduate, which means I get a Basic or Street skill package, -35% on the Wealth chart, and I roll on the Precarious Occupations chart. That roll is 08, for Breaker, but I want to try that again, so I spend one of my remaining takebacks and get 42, Groundskeeper, which I like better. That gives me the Farming or Service skill package, two advances, +1 Str and +1 End.

So, so far we have a tall, husky fellow who's honestly kind of a beast, who got his start as a groundskeeper, possibly for the Project GOON headquarters. I like it.

Step 5: Let's Mutate! Except, uh, there's not a lot of mutating going on here. Humans are automatically Size 10, Primate classification, Diet: Omnivore, Movement: Bipedal, Prehensility: Prehensile, Speech: Vocal, and Mask: Perfect, and I can't spend GOO-P on any traits. What I can spend it on is enhancing attributes, buying psychic powers, and upping some secondary attributes. Looking at the psychic powers first, I waffle a bit on whether he should be telepathic or telekinetic, but eventually settle on telekinetic, and take the powers Telekinetic Levitation, Telekinetic Manipulation, and Telekinetic Shove. Normally this would add up to 40 GOO-P and be more than I have to spend, but purchasing multiple powers of the same type (in this case, Telekinetic) gives you a discount, bringing the cost down to 34, just within budget.

Next is Step 6: How You Fight. As a human with a Precarious Occupation, I have access to Sport styles, although I could trade in hobbies for access to Street or Tradition. I'll forgo that and just take Pressure Pugilist, so I know how to box. This will give me +1 Str and +5 SHT.

Step 7: Getting Good is where most of the bookkeeping happens. As a human, I have a Basic or Street package, a Basic or Science package, the Farming or Service package, a number of hobbies equal to my Cognition modifier (plus 6 for being a human), a number of specialty skills equal to my Cognition modifier (plus one for being a human), and two skill advances from my occupation. I'm going to go with Industrial, Automotive, and Service for my packages, giving me +1 Per, +1 Spd, +1 Cog, +1 Str, +2 Aff, and another +1 Spd. Now I need to finalize my attributes so I know what my skill values will be. I have Cog 16, Str 19, Det 16, Pro 15, Aff 17, End 15, Per 21, Spd 16. My packes give me Driver, Mechanic, Roadways, Electrician, Maintenance, Operator, Organization, Process, Tolerance, and I have 9 hobby skills to select and can make 4 of my skills specialties. I'm going to spend two hobbies on getting chain and staff proficiency (I'll get other proficiencies from my gear later on), and the other 7 on Smithing, Laborer, Assess, Mistrust, Crops, Haggle, and Visual Arts, with my specialties being Visual Arts, Mechanic, Smithing, and Tolerance. Now I die inside a little as I look at all the crossrefrencing I have to do, buckle down for a bit, and end up with:

Specialties: Mechanic 75%/+4%, Smithing 65%/+4%, Tolerance 67%/+4%, Visual Arts 74%/+5%
Package: Driver 71%/+4%, Electrician 66%/+4%, Maintenance 71%/+4%, Operator 71%/+4%, Organization 62%/+4%, Process 62%/+4%, Roadways 71%/+4%
Hobbies: Assess 62%/+5%, Crops 62%/+5%, Haggle 64%/+5%, Laborer 60%/+4%, Mistrust 64%/+5%

(The above figures include spending my two advances on Mechanic and Electrician)

Step 8: Get Stuff is pretty simple by comparison. Humans get a basic equipment package unless their occupation says otherwise, Citizenship as a bonus gimmick, and two more bonus gimmicks from the following list: Automobile, Credentials, Degree, and License. Our basic package gives us concealing clothes, a cellphone/smartphone, a pack, a non-burst weapon or basic gimmick, and then we choose a set for additional stuff. We're going with Mechanic, which gives us a full toolkit, a weapon, a basic gimmick, and another -10% to our wealth roll. For our gimmicks, we're going to take Automobile and License in addition to Citizenship from the bonuses we got, and The ****ing Manual (Electrician) as another. Our weapons will be a knife and a large, heavy wrench (baton). Now, we roll on the Wealth table, with a total modifier of -45%. I roll a 27, modified to -18, which is Side Hustle. We're involved in some sort of low-risk criminal activity on the side, and start with $500 in our pocket.

Finally, Step 9: Wrapping Up starts by asking for a name. I'm gonna call this guy Maurice 'Moe' Robinson. Moe needs three values to represent what he fights for; I'll go with Creativity, Fairness, and Sincerity. Seconfary attributes are next. Initiative is Per+Spd, or +8. Defense is 10+Pro+Spd, so 15, and Morale is 10+Det+Per, so 18. Superficial Harm Threshold is the SHT we get from our size (25) plus our Endurance and Determination scores (plus our fighting style bonus) for a total of 61, and our Hit Points are our Endurance times two, or 30. Starting Willpower is our Det mod, so 3. Contacts, which we'll handle next, is based on Aff, so that'll be 3. Lifting Power is Strength x 10 x our size mod, coming in at 190 lbs. Finally, Move Rate is our speed in feet per three seconds, calculated as Size x 3 plus Speed x 3, for a total of 78. The last thing we do for this character is make our contacts. A Contact rating of 3 gives us one contact with 3 skills. We could randomly generate this, but I'm gonna say this is an old friend of Moe's that he works the side hustle with, and their skills are Fence, Filch, and Streetwise.

And we're done! Moe, the large, beefy groundskeeper who was promoted to agent status after his telekinetic talents were discovered, is ready to report for duty in Project GOON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yep, the only difference between human-born and regular at step 5 is the ability to swap out some of your enhanceable attributes.