Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

On the mutation worksheet it says zoological traits and in the book it says zoomorphic, which caused me some confusion the first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

The Mutant Vigilante reward tier description should probably have a "for" after "looking," if it's possible to edit at this point in the process.

edit: For some actually interesting content, here's the brief description of my favorite MItNw character:
We have a 10' bullfrog man whose first encounter with humans was a hippie survivalist nudist colony. He lives in the colony because what frog wants to wear clothes and spends his time roaming the area near Great Smoky Mountains NP, eating annoying dogs and environmental criminals.
His hobbies include meditating by the commune pond seeing how many Canadian Geese he can catch with his eyes closed (the geese mess with the commune's duck herd) and composing bad poems praising god for the rise in mutants and their potential to help create a just world.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 11, 2022

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Bring in another era-appropriate work involving genetic manipulation and do some raptors from Jurassic Park.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Went through character creation and a simple scenario with a buddy to learn the rules and have a few things:

-I see that there's a fillable pdf and a basic autocalculating google sheet now that I am looking for it. Are there any fancier autocalculating character/character creation sheets out there that I should be aware of before I go nuts on one of my own? (Messing with ridiculous character sheet spreadsheets is my jam because I am weird.)

-Has anyone made a rules quick summary? We definitely struggled with having to flip between a bunch of different spots. The fight scenes reference is good, but I am looking for something that covers the even more basic stuff like when you roll which dice, what advantage/disadvantage means, etc.

-Is it possible to get a reduced art version of the book/sheets? Acrobat struggled mightily once I looked through more than 20 pages and crashed a couple times.* It would also make print on demand at home much cheaper. (I'm thinking especially about making copies of the character creation section for everyone to work through together.) I think just removing the page backgrounds would be enough to make a big difference and maybe wouldn't be a huge amount of work?

*Yes, yes, get a better PDF viewer, I know.

edit: I started working on a fancy sheet anyway: WIP

On page 58 of the Revised Edition Core Rules, which I think is the most recent version, this line should be removed: "The specific percentage values are determined by the chart on this page."

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 23, 2023

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

There are 136 skills between Now and Next: Combined summary
I was at the step of picking 8 hobby skills for my human born mutant and didn't want to flip between the two books so much. Alien Rope Burn I know you said somewhere in one of the books to let people be pretty free with which skill they use for a roll so don't worry about all the overlap, but this is just kind of exhausting to contemplate. Even my friends who are nostalgic about the Palladium stuff in theory aren't going to be excited about poring through all this in TYOL 2023 as busy adults.
I may try to condense this down somewhat to try to reduce the overwhelm.

edit: Here's a WIP list of condensed stuff.
Customer service: Tolerance, Composure, Persistence
Intimidation: Authority, Berate, Questioning
Animal handling: Companionship, Livestock, Mounting, Riding, Roping, Trainer, Whisperer
Mathematics: Abstraction, Numbers
Hunting: Baiting, Patrol, Stalk, Track, Traps
Athletics: Athletics, Balls, Climbing, Evade, Parachuting, Skate, Skiing, Stability, Surfing, Swimming, Zero-G
Caretaking: Assistance, Caretaking
Teaching: Explain, Teach
Tactics: Breach, Predict, Stratagem, Terrain
Rescue: Rescue, Search
Teamwork: Coordination, Organize

I get why many of these are broken out the way they are; they are distinct skills with different training or natural talents. I'm just not sure I care that much for purposes of playing a game that managing a dairy herd is a very different set of capabilities from roping a calf out on the range which is very different from understanding what an animal's behavior says about their internal state.
And sure, Athletics maybe becomes kind of a god skill, but is it so bad in this game about skateboarding mutant piranhas that being six X-Games athletes in one person is widespread?

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 1, 2023