Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna16196

quote:

An American research team reported that it has possibly cured HIV in a woman for the first time. Building on past successes, as well as failures, in the HIV-cure research field, these scientists used a cutting-edge stem cell transplant method that they expect will expand the pool of people who could receive similar treatment to several dozen annually.

Pretty cool news, if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
That would be cool. My godfather and other relatives of mine we're killed by HIV/AIDs

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Treatment is only for people with late stage cancer due to being extremely risky by killing someone's immune system with chemo or something like that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Even if it is true lol if you think it will be affordable/even technically accessible to most people

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Treatment is only for people with late stage cancer due to being extremely risky by killing someone's immune system with chemo or something like that.

Still quite impressive though.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Why take diet pills when you can enjoy aids?(ayds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXuM6nzoQRc

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Ive always been pretty against hiv so from my standpoint this is great news

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
No, it's a really stupid headline.

We already knew how to "cure" HIV, it involves nuking your immune system and replacing it with someone's that, to our knowledge, can't be infected with HIV because their immune system is already immune to HIV. Nuking your immune system however is much, much, much, much, much, much, much more likely to kill you than HIV with todays drugs, so they only do it when something else is going to kill you if they don't do it, like cancer.

The development here is finding immune systems to replace yours with that also can't be infected with HIV that also won't kill you is very, very difficult, ESPECIALLY with certain genetic populations. They found a way to replace your immune system with one immune to HIV that is less likely to have the new immune system kill you if you are in one of those genetic populations. The nuking your immune system is the part that is really dangerous though.

It's certainly interesting but it is not Mavyret.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
there's a once every couple months injectable PrEP now do get ur doc to get u poked and get poked & porked to ur heart's content

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Neg my poz hole?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you're thinking of bacon. we've cured bacon

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

there's a once every couple months injectable PrEP now do get ur doc to get u poked and get poked & porked to ur heart's content

Legit tho, protection and PrEP are important, as well as asking for clean checks beforehand if you can.

Don't get me wrong, getting loving reamed is excellent, but not enough to gently caress up your life imo.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my mom did HIV research in the 90s. after several years the compound they were looking at turned out to be some useless binding protein and not applicable to HIV in anyway.

as a kid, my perception of curing AIDS or HIV was like "that's impossible" so things like Truvada have been really impressive to see come about

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks like raw dog's back on the menu boys

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Milo and POTUS posted:

line 'em up

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Guess it's time I come out of retirement.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Guess it's time I come out of retirement.

Please stop calling me retirement.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

abstinence is the real cure, go with christ op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
getting plowed is a service to god, who rejoices when his children are glad

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Three Olives posted:

No, it's a really stupid headline.

We already knew how to "cure" HIV, it involves nuking your immune system and replacing it with someone's that, to our knowledge, can't be infected with HIV because their immune system is already immune to HIV. Nuking your immune system however is much, much, much, much, much, much, much more likely to kill you than HIV with todays drugs, so they only do it when something else is going to kill you if they don't do it, like cancer.

The development here is finding immune systems to replace yours with that also can't be infected with HIV that also won't kill you is very, very difficult, ESPECIALLY with certain genetic populations. They found a way to replace your immune system with one immune to HIV that is less likely to have the new immune system kill you if you are in one of those genetic populations. The nuking your immune system is the part that is really dangerous though.

It's certainly interesting but it is not Mavyret.

There's people immune to HIV? :confused:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

sigher posted:

When you're so unlovable that not even HIV wants to be with you.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I would cure hiv if I could but I had nothing to do with this

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

sigher posted:

Yep. This is something we've known for a very long time now. We just haven't known how to utilise that knowledge.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sigher posted:

Not only people that seem to not seroconvert at all, there are people known as "elite controllers" that while have an HIV infection, as far as we know, will never develop infectious HIV nor develop symptomatic HIV. I know one of these people, he has been HIV+ for 30 year and never developed a viral load over 200 cp/mL.

The HIV "cure", if it exists, will likely be like a Shingle vaccination, i.e. you will still have Herpes Zoster but whenever it pops up, your immune system will know to kill it before it becomes a problem.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 16, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Supposedly there is also research being done on stem cell injections in peoples' brains as a possible cure for ADHD, which as an ADHD sufferer myself I really fuckin' hope that goes somewhere good and I'd even be willing to volunteer myself as a test subject on that.

Stem cells are awesome stuff. Hopefully the US won't outlaw abortions so we can keep doing neat things with 'em.

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Too bad it's based on stem cells. Now the bible belt idiots are going to gently caress this up for everybody.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Magic Johnson's HIV doesn't even show up in tests. He'll likely just die of old age or cancer or a car accident like everyone else.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Magic Johnson to hiv : im gonna make you disappear

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
"We"?! I bet you didn't do poo poo OP!!! :arghfist::mad:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Three Olives posted:

Not only people that seem to not seroconvert at all, there are people known as "elite controllers" that while have an HIV infection, as far as we know, will never develop infectious HIV nor develop symptomatic HIV. I know one of these people, he has been HIV+ for 30 year and never developed a viral load over 200 cp/mL.

The HIV "cure", if it exists, will likely be like a Shingle vaccination, i.e. you will still have Herpes Zoster but whenever it pops up, your immune system will know to kill it before it becomes a problem.

The human body continues to be a crazy amazing thing.

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
it has got to own having what amounts to the Konami code for loving and sucking

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
They're also testing an mRNA-based HIV vaccine now which is pretty awesome.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't even want AIDS

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ocean Book posted:

getting plowed is a service to god, who rejoices when his children are glaad

ftfy

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Can't you take pills nowadays to be able to safely cum in someone and / or get cummed in? I can't remember what they're called but I'm sure the many gays here know about what I'm babbling about

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Can't you take pills nowadays to be able to safely cum in someone and / or get cummed in? I can't remember what they're called but I'm sure the many gays here know about what I'm babbling about

Who cares

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

PrEP is pretty drat cool medically yeah.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I care, I want to know what it's called so I can cum in folks

[edit] PREP yeah, that's it. I feel like that was a big deal that no one seemed to talk about

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

just do anal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Prep is pretty neat. Either take it everyday, or take it on the couple of days leading up to sex and one day after it. Which one you choose depends on if you get bad side effects from starting and stopping it, and how often you bareback.
AFAIK it is more reliable than condoms in protecting against HIV. But obviously it doesn't work against the other STDs.

Prep and rigorous testing among the LGBTQ population of the Netherlands has now lead to fewer HIV infections of LGBTQ+ people, than of straight people. IDK if it's relative or absolute numbers, but either way it's a mile stone. HIV infected queer people also are often much much faster in getting diagnosed and treated :)

It's genuine progress! Who knew, investing in medical science and prevention programmes work against illness.

Now hoping the new ultrashitty xtian-neolib government doesn't quit the prep program we have. Yeah it's expensive, but it's still cheaper than treating all the people who would've gotten HIV+ without prep. I think about a quarter of my friends are on prep or want to get on prep.