Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Biscuits
Mar 2, 2013
I use PetPlan (now called Fetch) for my Puli. When I adopted her from a shelter 10 years ago, she came with three months of free PetPlan insurance. I stuck with it because I didn't want to get trapped by pre-existing conditions if I jumped to another insurance.

I find it to be a mixed bag. Petplan was better before it was bought up by the DoDo sometime in 2019. I have the plan that reimburses 80% of costs after hitting what was initially a $200 annual deductible PER CONDITION. After it was bought, the deductible leaped to $350, and the annual premium went up substantially. Note "reimburse" - I need to have the money up front to pay the vet bills, then file a claim. Claims need to be filed within 90 days of the vet visit. This includes submitting the invoice and medical records.

The first year, when she was recovering from neglect (her previous owners left her in a cage to die), she was seeing the vet frequently, and on medication, it was worth it. The payout was higher than the premium. Afterwards, some years she only saw the once or twice a year for routine checkups and vaccinations, and I didn't meet the deductible requirements. Some years I paid more for the premium then the vet! Then there was year she has a urinary tract infection caused by bladder crystals, and I did receive reimbursements. The amount I got back was less than what I paid for the premium that year. (The premium increases each year, as the pet gets older and more prone to needing medical care.) One year I received a check for less than a dollar! The next year I received a couple hundred back. The year of the huge deductible increase, I got no payout at all because a)the deductible was now so high and b)her problems were classified as two different conditions. ARGH!

This year, the premium was a little over a thousand, and I have spent over 2000 in the past month for surgery. The claims are currently being processed. If the verdict doesn't screw me over, the reimbursement should make it worth it.

So, was PetPlan worth it? Over 10 years, I definitely paid more into it than I got out of it. However, if my little girl needed constant meds and procedures, I probably would have gotten more out of it. Having insurance made me more comfortable with paying for diagnostics and preventative care, since I could potentially get something back. To me, the biggest caveat is that I need to pay upfront - I have to be able to afford the vet bills to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Biscuits
Mar 2, 2013
A follow up to my previous response, since Petplan/Fetch finished processing my claim from July 25:

This year's premium (for approx 12 yr old dog): ~1000
Deductible: $350 per condition

This year's condition 1: Skin growths. Vet costs: 1800 as of Aug 2. Deductible met. Am receiving 956 back so far, and I submitted another claim for her medication today. That will prob be a $25 reimbursement. Any further treatments for her skin will be reimbursed through Jan 2023.

This year's condition 2: Dental. Cost 320. Still have not met deductible. Not getting reimbursement. If I spend more than 30 bucks on dental treatments, I would receive money back going forward through Jan 2023.