Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I also have Nationwide for my 2.5 yr old dog and 2 cats (one is 3 and one just turned 5). There are a few levels of coverage but I have the one that covers 90% of costs after hitting the $200 annual deductible.

For me, this is offered as a discount through my job and it costs about $30 per month, per pet. It comes out of my paycheck like my own insurance, and I don't think about it.

The pros:
- The 90% coverage kicks in after one or two vet visits. If your pets have any prescriptions or need vaccines, this covers a lot. There's a caveat about this in the Cons, though...
- If you have an emergency, this is REALLY good. In the spring, my dog's kneecap slipped its groove and would've meant a permanent limp without surgery. Because we had coverage, we could get her a simple operation that would've normally run over $1000. After recovery, she's completely back to normal.
- There's no "network", at least that I've found. Because you're the one filing the claims, you just have to use a legit, licensed vet.

The cons:
- I can't speak to other companies, but Nationwide is a bitch about "pre-existing conditions". My dog also takes a prescription allergy med but because she started taking it before I got the insurance, it's one of the few things Nationwide won't cover.
- As the previous posted mentioned, filing the paperwork *does* fall to you. Our vet doesn't automatically "take insurance" but they'll e-mail a pdf of our invoice. Then I have to file a claim with Nationwide and wait for them to process it and send a check. So any vet bills still have to be paid by me up front, but I get the insurance check in a few weeks if I'm diligent. Nationwide is also pedantic about the paperwork you file. If the invoice doesn't have your pet's name and the date and specific procedure on it, they'll send it right back to you (although I assume this is true for all insurance).

There are probably more pros and cons, but those are the big ones I can think of. Personally, this is the first time I've had it, and it's been a big help. My wife and I have gone through 3 cats before our current pets, and their vet bills were significant, especially as they entered the "elderly and needs a lot of special treatment" phase of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU