Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm usually against changing ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in this case I will

"make an execption"

lil bit of programmers humor there for ya

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but seriously its good. I give the OK for big usb to stop innovating and can we just let humanity settle here? its ok for sure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the direct-to-video sequel to the usb-d thread

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

When are the cowards releasing usb-a2m

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

echinopsis posted:

but seriously its good. I give the OK for big usb to stop innovating and can we just let humanity settle here? its ok for sure

Done!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
me too, I love how USB-C has like 20 different alternate modes, and some cables support some of them but not others. Also there's no labeling so you don't know what any given port's capabilities are, or whether your cable will work with that port or not.

G R E A T J O B USB consortium, real a+ design work there

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what? I just plug the cable in and it charges

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
The charging spec is also a surprisingly huge pain in the dick butt hole.

Some chargers just supply +5V and call it good, and then it's no different than using micro-B. Other chargers know how to negotiate high-power charging (up to 100W), but they do it over the analog control lines. Some chargers use the digital control lines. Some cables have one, but not the other. Some have both, some have neither. And who knows what your charger and device will have implemented, if anything.

It's bad, folks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

usb-c is an excellent interconnect design and a terrible set of hardware "standards" and software protocols.

i have at least gotten to the point where pretty much all my stuff is usb-c compatible, and any problems are mostly a matter of "oh, better get the bigger charger for this thing."

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 17, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yep, if you’re running decent stuff you don’t need to worry about a charger ruining a thing.

I am stoked that with a power delivery charger I can charge my mirrorless canon. such a simple thing but life changing.

Poopernickel posted:

me too, I love how USB-C has like 20 different alternate modes, and some cables support some of them but not others. Also there's no labeling so you don't know what any given port's capabilities are, or whether your cable will work with that port or not.

G R E A T J O B USB consortium, real a+ design work there

over time these will settle into a few useful ones, and the situation will improve and that’s fine because at least we won’t be changing our fuckin ports

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
if your laptop has two usb-c ports what happens if you plug one into the other?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

singularity

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Buck Turgidson posted:

if your laptop has two usb-c ports what happens if you plug one into the other?

I think that's called "docking", op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm about to do it. hope everyone has confessed their sins

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i did it. it made the windows plink plunk sound and logged a new USB event with all zeroes in the identifiers.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
you crazy bastard, you did it. You blew it up

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Silver Alicorn posted:

what? I just plug the cable in and it charges

my charging port is broken so this doesn’t work for me.

luckily for you wireless charging works flawlessly so I can still post.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
found out the hard way recently that apparently there are usb-c cables (that are -c on both ends) that are USB 2 and not USB 3? wtf who the hell wants to use a USB 2-only USB-C cable???

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my charging port is broken so this doesn’t work for me.

take it to the apple store

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

hope everyone has confessed their sins

charged my phone last night, in fact

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Silver Alicorn posted:

take it to the apple store

the closest one is a 3.5 hour international plane flight and 10 days quarantine away.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

found out the hard way recently that apparently there are usb-c cables (that are -c on both ends) that are USB 2 and not USB 3? wtf who the hell wants to use a USB 2-only USB-C cable???

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah i got one of those with some cheap poo poo product. i cut it in half and threw it away.

possibly even more frustrating than the 5v power-only cables, because at least then you can look in the plug and see that it's missing the data pins.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

usb c.diff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

usb c deez nuts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
usbc is dogshit. will not be reading replies

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i find it amazing that there is up to 240watts available for power in the usb-c spec.

but then you think about the kind of generic quality cables that kind of power might flow through and it seems like house fire central

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
usb c is the future

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

so are deeze nutz

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

i did it. it made the windows plink plunk sound and logged a new USB event with all zeroes in the identifiers.

:popeye:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

usb c deez nuts

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

some great stuff in this thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
right now my kids laptops are charging from usb

is it the big bulky power adapter cord or the one from the generic four port charger?

doesn't matter, both are charging and will be charged for school in the mornig

suck it other port-ailures!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

echinopsis posted:

right now my kids laptops are charging from usb

is it the big bulky power adapter cord or the one from the generic four port charger?

doesn't matter, both are charging and will be charged for school in the mornig

suck it other port-ailures!

MacBook m1 pro is best of all worlds

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

usb, see, myeeeeh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

not only is the implementation massively rando and in no way universal, but the connector is pretty trash and gets loose over time

thanks usb-c

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually it rules

every usb-sea device i’ve used works very well

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i'm okay with it

i;m kinda sick of changing plugs every three weeks or whatever, but usb type c seems ok for now

but if usb type d comes out before 2025, i'll burn this whole planet to the fuckin ground. cut it out, guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

not only is the implementation massively rando and in no way universal, but the connector is pretty trash and gets loose over time

thanks usb-c

what if someone else recognized this was a problem and made a solution