Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hate it when the extra challenge to adventure games is getting the drat thing to run.
Some games should have definitely been made 2d instead to save on development time, heck there's plenty of gorgeous 2d which use pre-rendered assets to get the look without the complecation.
The box pushing puzzles are not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

By popular demand posted:

I hate it when the extra challenge to adventure games is getting the drat thing to run.
Some games should have definitely been made 2d instead to save on development time, heck there's plenty of gorgeous 2d which use pre-rendered assets to get the look without the complecation.
The box pushing puzzles are not worth it.

Broken Sword 3 ran perfectly fine so I'm not sure why the fourth game is having so many problems. It could be down to Steam's version of the game as someone has recently posted saying that the GOG version is working perfectly fine for them (The Broken Sword series is also on sale on GOG right now too.)

This isn't the first time that I've had issues with getting games to run correctly on Steam but have been able to get them working fine elsewhere.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Update: The GOG version works flawlessly, if I knew this beforehand I would have bought it and used it for the LP.

I can still use this version for the death reel but the only problem that I have is that the save files from the Steam version don't work with this one. This means that I will have to replay the whole game from the start to capture them. I will still start Broken Sword 5 this weekend and I'll work on the death reel along the way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I can live without a death reel, and that sounds like a lot of work for a short extra video.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I agree, especially considering how lackluster this game was. Imo, bring on the better game!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've recorded the intro video using the same settings on both games to show you just how vastly different both versions are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYob82a-EK4

The GOG version is first, the Steam version starts at the 3:33 mark.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a test run for the opening video to Broken Sword 5 and some memories are starting to come back. The first time I played this game was on Christmas Day 2015 and I completed it within a couple of weeks.

I'll be replaying Broken Sword 4 here and there as it won't take too long if I skip all the unnecessary stuff. It's not going to be a priority but I will try to a bit here and there when I'm not busy doing other things.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording the opening video for Broken Sword 5 and it went rather well. Unfortunately, OBS bugged out and the video is 35 minutes of the menu screen plus the game audio and commentary. I don't have time to record again this morning but I will try again tonight and hopefully have something up tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

OBS really doesn't like this game, that's another thirty-five-minute recording down the drain. This means that I will either have to record it in windowed mode and 32-bit which won't make for good visuals or I can use Xsplit and risk the clipping bug that it's prone to have. I will attempt another recording tomorrow but things may be delayed a little while I try to figure this out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Eesh. Sympathies.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent's Curse

Paris in the spring. Shots ring out from a gallery… A robbery… a murder… and the beginning of another epic, original Broken Sword adventure.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Fromage de chèvre is goat cheese - and very good it is too! It’s probably a lot more common on the continent :)

This is already looking so much better than 3 and 4 - no unnecessary action and simple puzzle solving! Did something happen behind the scenes and they wanted to go back to a traditional Broken Sword game?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Liking the new game already - the way George's job is tied into the actual adventure instead of it falling into his lab is nice and Johnny-Dollar-esque.

Also, liking the Joey Easter egg, and I especially like that the Tricolour cafe has three colours associated with it... But not THE Tricolour. That's tres amusement.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'll have to dig deeper to see if there is a reason why they switched back to 2D graphics. I'm not entirely sure if my memory is correct but I believe that they wanted to create a game in the same style and with the same feel as the original two games.

If you want to read up more on the production of the game their Kickstarter page is still up. One of the stretch goals was to fund Beneath A Steel Sky 2, which they didn't reach but they went ahead and did it anyway.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Could be that they realised that 3d adds a whole new dimension to work and debug (+physics probably) and therefore would take dev time that could be better used elsewhere.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

From what I've been reading, the decision to make the third and fourth games in 3D was taken out of their hands. They suffered the same fate as other adventure game developers in the early and mid 2000's. During this time the publishers wanted action games in 3D for the console because adventure games and the PC were dead. They were able to partially self fund BS5 due to the BS1 re-release and then fully fund it with the Kickstarter campaign. Which meant that they were able to make and publish it in any way that they wanted to.

You can read more about it in the development section here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sword_5:_The_Serpent%27s_Curse. Be prepared for spoilers in other areas though.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 5, 2022

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Awesome, I was looking forward to this one. I noticed how much I like the music in 5.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of it seems like a deliberate homage to the original - starting with George witnessing a crime in Paris, I think we even saw this gallery in the first game?

It's probably a good thing, seems that even the devs recognize that Angel of Death was the low point of the series.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We take control of Nico in this video who is trying to re-enter the art gallery, but Sergeant Moue is blocking the way. He's really taking the pissoir!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It seems Monsieur Cafe is the type of man who thinks croissants are too Austrian to be served in France.

Edit: Wow, I hadn't noticed that... incredibly callipygian statue on the far left earlier. That's a tad... egregious.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 7, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

It seems Monsieur Cafe is the type of man who thinks croissants are too Austrian to be served in France.

I was wondering what his problem was with croissants but I think the issue is with anything but ordinary croissants. He specifically mentioned almond croissants twice, if you ask him for one with pecan he would probably try to stab you with a pain au chocolat.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 7, 2022

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
The waiter in the Tricolore is probably talking about the many protests in Paris in recent years. His spiel is that he talks about them as if it still was the Revolution of 1789.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
And yet he still served Laine!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He mentions 'running dogs', 'spring', 'barricades', 'tear gas', etc. He's pretty obviously talking about May '68. Though if he was actually around to do protesting of any sort in 1968, I'll eat my bonnet rouge.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Kangra posted:

He mentions 'running dogs', 'spring', 'barricades', 'tear gas', etc. He's pretty obviously talking about May '68. Though if he was actually around to do protesting of any sort in 1968, I'll eat my bonnet rouge.

Yeah 68 was also my first thought, which would make him a boomer. Funny thing, in Norwegian boomers are often referred to as "68's" or "the 68 generation" as those 1968 protest were seen as defining for that generation.

Barricades and tear gas could also work for the yellow jackets protests if it were not for the game coming out five years before that was a thing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:nws: There is a painting of a naked woman with her breasts exposed in this video :nws:

George has a very quick twelve-minute search in Henri's office where he tries to uncover some very interesting tips.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I thought George was from Idaho and not California?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He lied so much throughout the years that he's not certain either.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

fish and chips and dip posted:

I thought George was from Idaho and not California?

You're right! I thought there was something odd when he said that but I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George now has access to Henri's apartment and to Vera Security. In this video, George visits Vera Security to find out just what the hell they are playing at! While he's at it he makes a couple of new friends and finds an adorable new pet.

I've finished my LP of Return To Monkey Island so my free time has become even freer. I've been replaying Broken Sword 4 and have just reached the wafer factory again and I've encountered two death scenes so far. I'm going to avoid the generic stealth fail sequences as I did in Broken Sword 3. I'm going to try to finish things off by the end of the week.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Annette listening to horse racing, and her rubber gloves do seem like nods to previous games. And Bassam does remind me more than a little about Nejo.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:nws: More naked artwork :nws:

George confronts Laine and saves Henri's widow from being "comforted" by him. He also returns to Vera Security where things seem a little too convenient, he doesn't smell a rat as it seems to have disappeared.

Annette listening to horse racing, and her rubber gloves do seem like nods to previous games. And Bassam does remind me more than a little about Nejo.

I forgot about Nejo until now, I can see the reference there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why would you repair the shredder and then try to put the document back together, instead of rescuing the half-shredded document from the broken shredder? :psyduck:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Why would you repair the shredder and then try to put the document back together, instead of rescuing the half-shredded document from the broken shredder? :psyduck:

There was nothing logical about that puzzle in the slightest.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I remember that puzzle very well, I pretty much went "wow seriously?". I thought the point would be to oil the gears to reverse out the paper and get like a half-shredded letter or something.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I remember that puzzle very well, I pretty much went "wow seriously?". I thought the point would be to oil the gears to reverse out the paper and get like a half-shredded letter or something.

That's what I initially thought too as the paper looked like it was only a quarter of the way in.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Broken Sword - The Angel Of Death

Bonus video - Death Reel

Here is the death reel for Broken Sword - The Angel Of Death. I managed to find eleven scenes in total, these include: Identity Theft, Golden Retriever, The Bomb Squad, Not Quite Out Of Sight, Explosive Entrance, Close Call, George Being Careful, Taking A Breather and George Being Helpful.

If it wasn't for the GOG version this may never have happened, you can definitely see the difference in this version compared to the Steam version.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video marks the end of our time in Paris, for now. Nico has an unexpected and uninvited visitor, she also goes to meet someone who also gives her unwanted advances. Then all of a sudden George shows up. This really isn't her day!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Holy cow, Nico - I know that as an adventure game protagonist respecting people's property is pretty low on the list, but leasing out another person's flat is taking not just the biscuit, but the entire loving pack!

Edit: and that's not even getting started on the fact that Nico apparently works at her computer with her back at a 45° angle - look at how low that computer desk is!!!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Holy cow, Nico - I know that as an adventure game protagonist respecting people's property is pretty low on the list, but leasing out another person's flat is taking not just the biscuit, but the entire loving pack!

Edit: and that's not even getting started on the fact that Nico apparently works at her computer with her back at a 45° angle - look at how low that computer desk is!!!

The man who travels 500 miles without a suitcase and expects to crash on someone else's sofa? Where is George staying and why can't Tiago stay with him?