Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Just to make you all aware, Broken Sword: Director's Cut is currently being given away on GOG. The original version comes with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for the heads up!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yup, I somehow missed the notification in the email GOG sends and I'm constitutionally incapable of resisting free stuff.
so thanks.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

George and Nico visit Vladimir Medovsky's house and are greeted by his driver who has a very troubled mind, for some reason. Even though this section relies quite heavily on adventure game logic it does reveal some interesting plot points.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Vladimir Medovsky
Right? Quite the choice for character design. Mind you, he's quite a big bigger...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 24, 2022

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I can't say 100% but the faces on the box do look an awful lot like Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra. And the double-headed eagle was the Russian Imperial crest.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
The typewriter desk puzzle really managed to confuse me when I played the game, it was one of three places where I just gave up and checked the internet for a walkthrough. I was so confused that even with the in-game hint system I just couldn't do it. Watching it again, it's so obvious lol.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have a few hours spare today so I decided to record the next update, even though the last one was only a couple of days ago. In this video, George and Nico pay a visit to Hobbs' workshop where they meet an old friend. See if you can work out just what the hell is going on just from the image.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I can't say 100% but the faces on the box do look an awful lot like Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra. And the double-headed eagle was the Russian Imperial crest.

They do seem to look remarkably similar.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That was a pretty hosed-up looking van.

Hope everyone had a merry Saturnalia, like! And are not currently in bed with a cold, like some folk.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
This LP has reminded me that I really like that Jasmine song.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I recorded another update but I was an idiot and used OBS instead of XSplit and had the same troubles with it as before, so I'll make another attempt tomorrow night.

Samovar posted:

That was a pretty hosed-up looking van.

Hope everyone had a merry Saturnalia, like! And are not currently in bed with a cold, like some folk.

I hope that you and everyone else did too. I also hope that you are feeling better!

fish and chips and dip posted:

This LP has reminded me that I really like that Jasmine song.

It's quite a nice little tune, although I'll probably be sick of it by the time this LP is over as it's looped so much already and I'm sure that we haven't heard the end of it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Youtube link does contain the word Kiss after all...

George and Nico are back in Paris to attend the crime scene reconstruction. The last ten minutes contain no commentary as there was a long conversation (in which I didn't really feel like I had anything to say that could add to it) and a scripted plot event that happens straight afterwards which is several minutes long.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That priest is so intense, I'm wondering if he ends up being a surprise villain of the story.
Also I'm hoping the game is done with the dumb police jokes by now, we all had our fill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really enjoy the casual rapport between George and Nico in this game. It's not the same style as the first game, but I think it's the first time the series has returned to being as well-written as the first game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The smooth character movement combined with what seems to be 15fps for the mouth flaps is... It's something.

Also, I've listened to some lectures on Christian Gnosticism - which is often just a term applied to general unorthodox beliefs in the times of the early church. There's nothing really spectacular in their teachings, it's just more theoretical theology that went against the line given out by the Catholic church.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George tries to con a vulnerable woman and then he returns to the gallery to find Father Simeon in a rather talkative mood.

By popular demand posted:

That priest is so intense, I'm wondering if he ends up being a surprise villain of the story.
Also I'm hoping the game is done with the dumb police jokes by now, we all had our fill.

It did seem like they were trying to turn them into a modern-day Laurel & Hardy. I think that it does start to calm down from here on out.

Tiggum posted:

I really enjoy the casual rapport between George and Nico in this game. It's not the same style as the first game, but I think it's the first time the series has returned to being as well-written as the first game.

I'm definitely enjoying it more than I did in the previous two games. The writing between the two started to feel rather embarrassing at times.

Samovar posted:

The smooth character movement combined with what seems to be 15fps for the mouth flaps is... It's something.

Also, I've listened to some lectures on Christian Gnosticism - which is often just a term applied to general unorthodox beliefs in the times of the early church. There's nothing really spectacular in their teachings, it's just more theoretical theology that went against the line given out by the Catholic church.

That's interesting to know as my knowledge of the subject is virtually non-existent. From what I do know, the whole gnostic thing in the game did strike me as a little odd.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well... that was a dance sequence.

I was about to suggest (if you were interested in finding out more about the Gnostics) to follow the SHWEP... but it is a very long podcast and - lets be frank here - pretty much all of the theology of the Gnostics (and other esoteric cults that are covered in that podcast) are sheer nonsense.

...certainly MY understanding of... 'mainstream' Gnosticism isn't the belief of the Cathars... It's... ah, it doesn't matter.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George arrives back at the apartment to find Nico doing some tidying up, then they both pay a visit to an old friend and finally round things off by returning some jewellery to an elderly lady. We're almost at the half way point, Broken Sword 5 was released in two parts and we're one segment away from the end of the first one.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
just noticed that the "new inventory item"/"gained points"(?) sfx in this game reminds me of this and now I can't unhear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnTdfA5aTpY

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Mannekin Pis will pee for BELGIUM, Fleur! Not France!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm sure that there's more than enough piss for both Belgium and France.:wellpiss:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I once went for a piss in Belgium. True story!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

and how much waffles/ brutal african colonialism did you encounter whilst thusly occupied?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

and how much waffles/ brutal african colonialism did you encounter whilst thusly occupied?

I get enough of that here, just replace waffles with crumpets.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George & Nico return to Hobb's studio but nobody seems to be home, but after a short investigation things have been a lot busier than previously thought. This video marks the end of the first episode.

This was the painting that I was referring to in the video:

Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe by Manet

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This was the painting that I was referring to in the video:

Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe by Manet

If he was creating a forgery, why would he replace the people from the original? It would be spotted instantly. I know it's just there for a quick joke, but that's dumb. Just leave out the bit about it being an attempted forgery.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I thought the same thing - whilst there’s proof elsewhere of forgery, a painting clearly spoofing an existing piece of work is definitely not the slam dunk George seems to think it is.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

If he was creating a forgery, why would he replace the people from the original? It would be spotted instantly. I know it's just there for a quick joke, but that's dumb. Just leave out the bit about it being an attempted forgery.

My guess is that he was doing preliminary sketches of the character models on the canvas and then painting over them afterwards.

It doesn't explain why he wanted George to be naked and Nico to remain clothed as the women in the painting are clearly in an unclothed state. Unless he intended for George to be the model for the lady and Nico to model as the gentleman behind her.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

George really is calm for a man stuck on the roof of a burning building.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Samovar posted:

He survived being tied to a chair in a burning building with a poisonous spider about to kill him. This is just an inconvenience!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm still not clear on Medovsky's plan, he wanted to sell the painting and then have it stolen to get the insurance. He would have to steal it, get the insurance, and then sell a "hot" painting, like who would want to pay anywhere near full market price for a stole painting? Unless there's some third layer of the scam where he somehow gets the painting back? I'm way overthinking this.

As for Medovsky being sloppy, I think the Russian invasion of Ukraine has show that a lot of Russians in positions of power are indeed sloppy.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to episode two! George & Nico arrive in Catalonia and they try not to butt their heads with the locals!

Samovar posted:

Zaroff posted:

He survived being tied to a chair in a burning building with a poisonous spider about to kill him. This is just an inconvenience!

After the last four games, this is pretty standard stuff for them now.

fish and chips and dip posted:

I'm still not clear on Medovsky's plan, he wanted to sell the painting and then have it stolen to get the insurance. He would have to steal it, get the insurance, and then sell a "hot" painting, like who would want to pay anywhere near full market price for a stole painting? Unless there's some third layer of the scam where he somehow gets the painting back? I'm way overthinking this.

As for Medovsky being sloppy, I think the Russian invasion of Ukraine has show that a lot of Russians in positions of power are indeed sloppy.

I've been thinking about this and I've completely lost track of that side of things.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's a little detail, but I'm glad it's here - Nico states that the sun was in her eyes so she couldn't see the shooter... and the background/setting they are in has shadows that correspond to that. It's a neat piece of detail in a game that doesn't have an engine that models it own light source.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George solves the first of many riddles and Nico is on the trail of what was probably the worst hangover that anyone has ever experienced.

Samovar posted:

It's a little detail, but I'm glad it's here - Nico states that the sun was in her eyes so she couldn't see the shooter... and the background/setting they are in has shadows that correspond to that. It's a neat piece of detail in a game that doesn't have an engine that models it own light source.

I absolutely love the artwork in this game and their attention to detail.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

First these goats are polite and respectful, next they're eating books you're trying to read. Talk about being capricious!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We catch up with George and Marqués who discover the secrets that lay beyond the fireplace.

Samovar posted:

First these goats are polite and respectful, next they're eating books you're trying to read. Talk about being capricious!

My thoughts were that it was critiquing the poetry in its own special way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Nice. I wonder if they were meant to set off PTSD in series' fans.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That's the slowest goddamn bullet in the world...

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
When playing this, I was so stuck on the blue green red light puzzle. It just didn't occur to me that there was a lens cap I had to remove first lol.

One of my favorite Iron Maiden songs is about the siege of the castle of Monstsegur by Catholics trying to eradicate the Cathars. It's fittingly called Montsegur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George, Nico and Eva arrive at the "major tourist" destination Montserrat and it seems to be during the off-season. Even so, there are a couple of tourists there who have a familiar look about them.

Please also pay your respects as the true hero of the game finally gets to shine!