Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Walla posted:

I'm a white man in my 40's, so I'm sure there's a lot that I missed but Broken Sword 2 seems less problematic than the first. There is one character in particular who is nothing but a walking stereotype, and there's 2 obviously racist old ladies, but much of the cultures you encounter are glossed over or outright ignored.

That's... reassuring... :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm thinking specifically of Titipoco and the Ketch sisters. Maybe I'm wrong about Titipoco being a stereotype?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Let's Play: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Original

In this video, George visits Bulls Head Hill and finds out that it's full of surprises. I was debating about re-recording this video as the Baphomet talk was adlibbed in and I feel like I could have prepared more, but I've decided to leave it as people can look up more information about it if they want to learn more.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Huh... That Baphomet being a mispronunciation of Mohammed makes sense. Y'see something similar re. Confucius and Kong-Tzu

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Finally a use for that stupid hand buzzer!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - The Directors Cut

This video is fairly short as it marks the end of the fifth chapter. We've now hit the sixth of nine chapters in both playthroughs, I'm going to try to keep the pacing to similar lengths which will be a little easier now that there aren't any more segments with Nico.

There are a few changes in this version compared to the original. There are a few cuts with the animations and descriptions but they have added some extra dialogue in a couple of places. One of those places is with Klausner as the developers decided to give us a really nice close up of his dried-up corpse so we can rifle through it like a pair of clown's trousers pants. It is possible in the original version to piss off Khan so much that he shoots you, seeing as it's impossible to die in this version I decided to make the most of it.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 13, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the sixth chapter in full. In this video, George trespasses on visits the Villa de Vasconcellos to try and convince the people there to help him solve the mystery of the Templars. But, as expected, there are puzzles to solve and problems to sort out. There was one puzzle in this section that absolutely baffled me when I first played this game (The Hose), but other than that I like this area and I like the characters who live here.

I've recorded extra content from the second chapter but I don't feel like it's enough content for a self-contained video so I'm going to wait until I go through the third chapter again to make a decision on the next bonus content video(s).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There are a few noticeable cuts, mostly with scenery hotspots but they've also cut out the Countess's dialogue talk completely. I believe that I missed out on a couple of scenery hotspots in the original playthrough, one of them was the mirror in Lopez's side room and the Virgin Mary statue in the mausoleum which triggers extra dialogue with the Countess. There's also the addition of a mini-game for the sake of adding a mini-game as it makes absolutely no sense contextually.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is chapter seven in its entirety. George returns to Montfauçon to search for Don Carlos, visits Andre to find out more information about the chalice and hears news of an important discovery recently uncovered in Paris. I had a short window to record this morning and made the most of it but unfortunately, I didn't sleep well and the tiredness affected my speech and train of thoughts a little. I seem to have befriended a couple of foxes and one, in particular, is waiting for me when I get home from work in the evening or has been barking late at night to get my attention. I heard it barking just after midnight last night and I went outside and we chilled out for about twenty minutes, it didn't help that I only slept for four hours after I went back to bed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is also chapter seven in its entirety. There are some differences compared to the original with the most obvious ones being the addition of a couple of illogical mini-games. There are some additional pieces of dialogue, the soap puzzle has had a redesign and there are also some noticeable but minor changes to the mechanics of some dialogue and puzzles. I did record a video this morning but I was fatigued from a long stint of very physical shifts at work with little sleep and it ended up being a haphazard disaster. I decided to re-record now I'm feeling a little more awake and it went a little more smoothly. There is a puzzle involving Roman numerals and I've just realised during the playback that there was actually a mistake in the dialogue and not my mind playing tricks on me, it really confused me at the time as I thought that my mind was playing tricks on me.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So it’s fair game for Nico to get jealous and attack George about the Countess, but one mention of Andre and she throws a tantrum? It’s getting harder to like both these characters…

Although the hidden Annus Horribilis in the bible verse puzzle did make me smile!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry to hear about the sleep, but glad to hear about the foxes!

Also, I think this might be the ONE time in the entirety of V.A. history where a line flub (around 3:46) actually adds to the role.

Although that cop could have saved some sleep if he just read some Baroness Orczy

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That's a lovely little fox there.

I did think George got slightly better but then dipped a little back to being unlikable towards the end, as did Nico. Marib, 1990s racism aside, was kind of a high point. George actually is quite decent to Nejo and is less self-serving there. I also like how they casually drop that Duane probably actually was military intelligence or [ex?]-CIA.

There's a kind of fun thing about the Bible verses from the puzzle that is probably more worth mentioning in a future video, but as with 90% of any story dealing with medieval history steeped in religious tradition, they got something wrong. Not on the level of, 'Jehovah starts with an I in Latin!' but in that direction.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Honestly if I hadn't started with Broken Sword 5 then I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the first 2 as much as I did. 5 is very good, and George and Nico are mostly likeable.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Part 2

There are timestamps in the video description. This video has additional dialogue with Maguire, Ron, Leary, O'Doyle, O'Brien, The Empty Glass, Nico, Bunny, Moue and Albert.

I should probably say that there aren't any official chapters and you can complete a lot of puzzles in any order that you wish, I'm just making my way through this game in a way that appears to be quite efficient in progressing through the game with the minimal amount of backtracking. I'm keeping the chapters in line with a guide and each area seems to be mostly self-contained. I will be working on more additional dialogue soon, I won't move on to Broken Sword 2 until it's done. I had forgotten that you could call Nicole and she would give you hints on how to progress, it's too late to start including them now but it's something I might keep in mind for another video.

Zaroff posted:

So it’s fair game for Nico to get jealous and attack George about the Countess, but one mention of Andre and she throws a tantrum? It’s getting harder to like both these characters…

Although the hidden Annus Horribilis in the bible verse puzzle did make me smile!

In the original game, George doesn't question Nicole about her relationship status at this point or her friendship with Andre. Looking at Nico's side of things and a different point of view, she may not be jealous of the Countess as such, she doesn't seem to believe that the Spanish side of things is essential to their mission and can't understand why George wants to return there. She didn't visit Spain and doesn't understand the importance of the chalice and the knight. He's returned from there with a missing treasure and a promise to find someone who's been missing for centuries, her mind is focused on the bigger picture. I could be wrong but I don't think Nicole really believes that George has feelings for the countess, she just doesn't understand his fascination and determination to help her.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 22, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've renamed the bonus videos in the OP and in the video titles as it may get confusing from here on out. We're able to visit Spain and/or Montfauçon again before Syria which means our inventories can and will change if we do them in a different order. At this point it's just going to get confusing if I put them into chapters even though I'll be swapping and changing locations with inventory from other locations.

Even though you can visit Montfauçon again before Spain and Syria, I don't believe that the priest shows up until you get the chalice.

Edit: Phone posting typing errors.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George returns to the Villa de Vasconcellos to return a debt owed to the Countess and he also believes that he can solve another mystery for her. I have another cold so I haven't recorded for a couple of days, I feel well enough to record tonight but my brain still is a little fried. I swear that every time I've tried to set fire to that drat thing I always used that specific candle as it's the one that is actually used, it worked the first time during the test recording... :arghfist:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy, I'm 'looking' 'forward' to how Scotland is represented here, especially considering how every other country has been represented...

...well, except Spain.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video

Additional Dialogue - Part 3

Timestamps are in the video description. This video contains additional dialogue with Moue, Rosso, Goinfre, André, Albert, Police Station Officer, Gendarme, Lopez & Countess de Vasconcellos.

:siren: You may be interested in the conversation with the Police Station Officer if you haven't spoken to him at this part in the game before. It contains important information about one of the characters that can easily be missed at this point. The conversation starts at the 04:33 mark. :siren:

If you don't want to watch the video or would rather I cut straight to the point, spoilered: The Police Station Officer informs us of Moue's death.

Samovar posted:

Oh boy, I'm 'looking' 'forward' to how Scotland is represented here, especially considering how every other country has been represented...

...well, except Spain.

All I can say is that you're going to be in for a surprise, it's either going to be a pleasant one or one of disappointment depending on your expectations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

:siren: You may be interested in the conversation with the Police Station Officer if you haven't spoken to him at this part in the game before. It contains important information about one of the characters that can easily be missed at this point. The conversation starts at the 04:33 mark. :siren:

Is there any point to this revelation in the story? It feels a bit out of left field and unnecessary.

Also, after the multiple attempts to go up the stairs, I’m kinda disappointed you don’t get a game over after Lopez has you arrested.

While I’m not a fan of unnecessary game overs in adventure games, I don’t mind them when you intentionally force it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Is there any point to this revelation in the story? It feels a bit out of left field and unnecessary.

My memory is quite hazy with this revelation. I can't remember if the news is revealed in the main plot of this game or if its only found out by chance at this time. I know that it is brought up again in the second game where they add more context to it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just like in the last update, this video is George's return trip to Spain. Looking back now, I could have done things in a slightly different order to cut down on time a little more. We can snuff out the candle while we are in the mausoleum to collect the bible, I'm still not 100% so I didn't really think about doing it this way until after I finished recording. I could have triggered some extra dialogue with Lopez to ask for a torch, but it would have meant climbing out of the well and then climbing straight back down again empty-handed so I didn't really want to break the flow. I did try to record a video this morning but had to abandon it as I kept having to stop and restart due to coughing fits. This was my second of two attempts to record after work, I had to abandon the first attempt and the second attempt was cut in two due to another coughing fit (There's a small cut around the 16:07 mark).

There's not a whole lot different compared to the original version, there are some changes and slight cuts to dialogue as well as extra dialogue. The candle puzzle in the mausoleum now does the steps automatically but you can't actually trigger it until you've examined each of the components. There's also a new puzzle behind the lion's mouth... don't get me started on that one!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, uh, George was never the best human being to begin with but he's really taken a hard turn into creep town.
Given Nicole's connection to the storyline and how she was portrayed at the start of the game, I'm surprised that she wasn't a playable character for more of the game. Given how much globetrotting happens in an implausibly short space of time, I wonder if it was meant to be more of a 50/50 split and it got cut?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, uh, George was never the best human being to begin with but he's really taken a hard turn into creep town.
Given Nicole's connection to the storyline and how she was portrayed at the start of the game, I'm surprised that she wasn't a playable character for more of the game. Given how much globetrotting happens in an implausibly short space of time, I wonder if it was meant to be more of a 50/50 split and it got cut?

As far as I'm aware, the game was originally released as intended. Nicole became a playable character in the sequels and they decided to make her one in the Director's Cut. All of her lines and scenes were written and recorded specifically for this release.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The use of the Bible verses has been shown now, so here's the interesting note about them. The Psalms have two different numberings that have been in use. Most probably the Templars would have used the Vulgate, the Latin translation which was the dominant European version for about a thousand years, and even other versions at the time used by Christians would have followed the same numbering. But the game uses the numbering more familiar to modern players (the game quotes the King James Version), since almost all Protestant, Jewish, and relatively recent Roman Catholic versions use it as well.

Now the game glosses over all this historical detail to get to the puzzle (it also picks out phrases in a way to make the puzzle make more sense to the player). I'm not really knocking it for getting this wrong; the interesting bit is what those verses actually match with using the 'right' reference.

For the two Psalms in the game, the numbering is one lower in the Vulgate. Thus "Psalms 22:21" doesn't exist in the Vulgate — it's too short (that Psalm is the well-known "The Lord is my Shepherd" one). But the other funny thing is that the verse numbering also varies in the Vulgate, which means that the verse about the "lion's mouth" is just Psalms 21:22, simply swapped numbers!

The other verse that's different is from Psalms is 32:7. In the Vulgate, the 'hiding place' verse is Psalms 31:7. But Psalms 32:7 exists, and is almost fitting:

"congregans sicut in utre aquas maris ponens in thesauris abyssos"

To use the KJV as the game did:
"He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses."

Even if the game never intended it to be read this way, I thought it was kind of neat that it almost works.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of the original release of Broken Sword. As per usual, I don't want to spoil anything. I'll record and upload the Director's Cut finale within the next few days and I still have a lot of additional dialogue to record, which I will complete before starting the second game. This will probably give more time for people to catch up as I've blown through both versions of the game in a very short amount of time.

Kangra posted:

The use of the Bible verses has been shown now, so here's the interesting note about them. The Psalms have two different numberings that have been in use. Most probably the Templars would have used the Vulgate, the Latin translation which was the dominant European version for about a thousand years, and even other versions at the time used by Christians would have followed the same numbering. But the game uses the numbering more familiar to modern players (the game quotes the King James Version), since almost all Protestant, Jewish, and relatively recent Roman Catholic versions use it as well.

Now the game glosses over all this historical detail to get to the puzzle (it also picks out phrases in a way to make the puzzle make more sense to the player). I'm not really knocking it for getting this wrong; the interesting bit is what those verses actually match with using the 'right' reference.

For the two Psalms in the game, the numbering is one lower in the Vulgate. Thus "Psalms 22:21" doesn't exist in the Vulgate — it's too short (that Psalm is the well-known "The Lord is my Shepherd" one). But the other funny thing is that the verse numbering also varies in the Vulgate, which means that the verse about the "lion's mouth" is just Psalms 21:22, simply swapped numbers!

The other verse that's different is from Psalms is 32:7. In the Vulgate, the 'hiding place' verse is Psalms 31:7. But Psalms 32:7 exists, and is almost fitting:

"congregans sicut in utre aquas maris ponens in thesauris abyssos"

To use the KJV as the game did:
"He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses."

Even if the game never intended it to be read this way, I thought it was kind of neat that it almost works.

Thank you for posting this as it was interesting to read. It didn't really click with me while playing that they were using the King James Bible as it didn't come about until the start of the 17th century.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well that was not very climactic.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Yes, that was certainly... a thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It was a bit sudden, yes. But Stirling! And St. Ninian's! I'm sure I've been church once or twice, but I primarily associate Stirling with my dear ol' Nonno and Nonna. They were a janny and a teacher at the school named after the church back in the day.

And while Khan's V.A. put in a good effort... It was pretty obvious that he wasn't Scottish in his last disguise. Or a woman.

Also, I always thought Baphomet was pronounced Bah-pho-met, not Bafo-met.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of the Director's Cut and they've, in my opinion, changed it for the worse. They cut out the lines right at the start where George and Nico confessed that they have feelings for each other and they kinda spoiled the reveal of Khan. I'm not sure if they added new lines or they were lines cut out of the original version but they completely destroyed the mysteriousness of the old woman, the close up of the face didn't help either. They've also butchered the cutscene involving the Templars too. They did add a new segment at the end to kind of wrap things up even further though.

Regarding the Battle Of Brightlingsea, I didn't actually know it was a thing until it was mentioned again and I did a quick google search in mid-conversation. You can probably tell by how I spoke about it, but my main aim was to let people know that it was something that did happen in case people wanted to read more about it.

Regarding this:

I'll try this with the original version in one of the upcoming additional dialogue videos which I'm still working on. Right now I'm working my way through Marib again.

Bonus Content

As you play through the game you unlock six different shorts that form the prologue to this version of the game. They become available in full after you have completed the game, here they are in full and in order:

The Director's Cut Bonus Content - Prologue

Samovar posted:

It was a bit sudden, yes. But Stirling! And St. Ninian's! I'm sure I've been church once or twice, but I primarily associate Stirling with my dear ol' Nonno and Nonna. They were a janny and a teacher at the school named after the church back in the day.

And while Khan's V.A. put in a good effort... It was pretty obvious that he wasn't Scottish in his last disguise. Or a woman.

Also, I always thought Baphomet was pronounced Bah-pho-met, not Bafo-met.

I would love to visit Stirling, my eldest has expressed a desire to go and I'm hoping at some point in the future that we can have a holiday there.

As for Khan's voice acting, for a middle eastern man he didn't do a bad job of portraying an elderly Scottish woman.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Part 4

This video contains additional dialogue with Nejo, Pearl, Duane, Ultar and Khan. There is some dialogue with Khan not included in this video as they are going to be part of the death reel.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Part 5

The fifth and final part, this video includes additional dialogue with the Police Station Officer, André, the Gendarme, the Priest, the Guard, the Workman, Countess de Vasconcellos, the Devil & Nicole.

The death reel will follow soon and there's still another bonus video that I'm going to work on but it's going to take some time, if it starts to take too long I will start up Broken Sword 2 and I will post it whenever it's ready.

Edit: I've just found out that if you leave the cafe area at the start of the game then Nicole disappears and you have to get her number from Moue.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 5, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Death Reel

This video contains the various ways where George can die. Timestamps are in the video description, the locations where this is possible are the Hotel Ubu, Musée Crune, Montfauçon Underground, Bull's Head Hill, Villa de Vasconcellos, Train Roof, Train Carriage and Bannockburn.

I took some time out today to power through the recordings of the final bonus video. I'm hoping that I've got them all as I'd like to think that I've been very thorough with it. I'll upload it within the next couple of days. If all goes well, Broken Sword 2 should begin before the week is over.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Nuisance Caller

This is the last bonus video for this LP. I tried to be as thorough as I could be by phoning Nicole up after every plot development and minor advancement to the game, I even did some sequences out of order to see if I could garner different dialogue. I probably missed a few but I was thorough as I thought that I could be. These are all of the phone conversations that I managed to uncover between George and Nicole.

If all goes well I'll be starting Broken Sword 2 before the end of the week.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've installed the remastered version of Broken Sword 2 as I was led to believe that it was just an upgrade to the original version with enhanced graphics and sound. It does have the additions of the character portraits and highlighted hotspots though. I've also read that some inconsequential hotspots and conversations have been removed and they've made slight changes to a couple of puzzles. I'm not going to do two playthroughs again as the gameplay changes are minor compared to the original game and the Director's Cut. I just need to make a decision on which version to play, the new cutscene graphics are a definite upgrade but the character portraits with subtitles and blue hotspots are putting me off somewhat. The gameplay graphics aren't really an issue for me, I think that I may stick with the original version unless there are some valid reasons not to.

Original:

Remastered:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
This is 90% nostalgia speaking through me but I'd heavily prefere the original version.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I guess the question is which is preferable to play - would you rather have the hotspots or have you played it enough that you know it backwards?

Personally I’d prefer the original, but if the changes are so minor then I’d rather you do which is more convenient.

As an aside, it’s hilarious watching the death compilation and seeing Nico watch the man she’s fallen in love with get shot on the train and doesn’t react. Cold blooded…

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

With that overly dramatic death animation it's just hard to care ,you know.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's been a while since I last played it but I will be going through it with a fine tooth comb. I think that I will go ahead with the original version, both have their conveniences in different ways. The hotspots and character portraits ruin the nostalgia for me, but knowing that there are also cuts to dialogue and scenery interaction is also another issue.

I don't know which of the deaths is my favourite, the door collapsing on top of George is a highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I liked how the way you cut it together kind of made it look like George got electrocuted on top of the train and it somehow made him fall back into it through the open door on the side.