Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Finally caught up with the thread again. I forgot to mention it earlier but I was surprised that we didn't see Pearl and Duane in 3, wonder if they'll be back here. The Vatican seems perfect for American tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Finally caught up with the thread again. I forgot to mention it earlier but I was surprised that we didn't see Pearl and Duane in 3, wonder if they'll be back here. The Vatican seems perfect for American tourists.

They were meant to appear in the third game but they were cut out due to time constraints.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

George visits the Vatican and somehow becomes a master in the art of deception.

Broken Sword 2 should be entering the archives soon so I've moved 2.5 into the OP until it's also added.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

George really got into the role of being the most devastating German to the Catholic church since Martin Luther, huh?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamn it George you don't have to be quite this dickish to the ladies, their only crime is manufacturing flat pieces of bread.
Also was that tedious "is it safe" bit a callback to the movie Marathon Man?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nothing in this section makes any sense, but I do find it amusing.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Did George really need to play l33t hacker in order to find a phone number?

I’m disappointed - the beginning few parts of this game were a lot of fun, but ever since Nico came back George seems has to turned into a bigger dick. Not Nico’s fault, but it seems she brings out the worst.

And wouldn’t anyone notice him having an overblown Texas accent when shouting at the guards and then changing it when talking to the nuns?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was hoping to record another updater within the next day or two but the game has descended into shoddiness once again. The game started lagging so hard during the opening segment it was frequently pausing for several seconds at a time. Everything that followed it wasn't much of an improvement. I'll try fiddling under the hood again to see what I can do but the next update may end up being another lagfest.

Zaroff posted:

Did George really need to play l33t hacker in order to find a phone number?

I’m disappointed - the beginning few parts of this game were a lot of fun, but ever since Nico came back George seems has to turned into a bigger dick. Not Nico’s fault, but it seems she brings out the worst.

And wouldn’t anyone notice him having an overblown Texas accent when shouting at the guards and then changing it when talking to the nuns?

I'd like to think that the phone number is an internal one and/or one used for suppliers and logistics rather than one that could be found in a phone book.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George infiltrates the Vatican and then tries to find a way to infiltrate Mark's happy place.

I managed to find a way to improve the performance but there is some noticeable lag throughout the video. I'm not sure why this game is having so many performance issues but I'll get through it one way or another.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, things are getting a bit wacky. Monoatomic gold? Why would the gold being made of one atom give super-powers? How does Mark open his door before he reaches it? Who isn't answering the phone in the apartment? What the hell was that door-man's accent?! I mean seriously. He sounded like Kermit the Frog trying to impersonate Vito Corleone.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

OK, things are getting a bit wacky. Monoatomic gold? Why would the gold being made of one atom give super-powers? How does Mark open his door before he reaches it? Who isn't answering the phone in the apartment? What the hell was that door-man's accent?! I mean seriously. He sounded like Kermit the Frog trying to impersonate Vito Corleone.

Reasons that will become clear soon that have no logical explanations?

The magic doors have been in action since the game began. The only character who is required to actually touch the handles is George.

I did notice the ever ringing phone and was going to say something but I was preparing to cut the recording after getting the address. Then I noticed how early the time was and was to busy concentrating on trying to wing the rest of the recording.

Maybe this is one of the reasons for the lack of Italians in Rome.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This image should tell you all that you need to know about this video!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...well, Qu Lei Lei is a real person, and a real artist at that! As to why his works would be hanging in a Vatican massage parlor, I can only say this: ?!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m lost on the timeline here - a flight from Rome to Phoenix has to be at a minimum 12 hours; probably more since there’s airport time and most likely transfer time. In all reasonableness, Nico will be gone 2 days.
Meanwhile, in those 2 days, George goes straight to the massage parlour, goes back to get a pass, goes in the parlour, meets Dwayne and gets caught. Feels like somethings missing at George’s end…

Still, I liked the story idea of George getting drunk after thinking Nico was killed because of him - it’s a shame overall it contributed nothing to the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaroff posted:

I’m lost on the timeline here - a flight from Rome to Phoenix has to be at a minimum 12 hours; probably more since there’s airport time and most likely transfer time. In all reasonableness, Nico will be gone 2 days.
Meanwhile, in those 2 days, George goes straight to the massage parlour, goes back to get a pass, goes in the parlour, meets Dwayne and gets caught. Feels like somethings missing at George’s end…
Spent two days drunk? It's plausible.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Spent two days drunk? It's plausible.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the timeline, but I thought Nico was already back in Rome when she was apparently killed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It definitely seems like Nico was in Rome at the time of the shooting, but that still doesn't explain the timeline of events leading upto it.

George has been to Vatican and the Black Cat Club which are in the same city, Nico has been on two twelve hour flights and done what she needed to do inbetween them. The only reasoning I can give is that he was knocked out in the sex dungeon but he couldn't have been out for too long.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Do I want to know what the man in the box and the unseen steward who keeps resetting the room were about?
Probably not, it seems naughty.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Do I want to know what the man in the box and the unseen steward who keeps resetting the room were about?
Probably not, it seems naughty.

I'm trying to think of something witty with combining a gimp and a janitor but my mind is completely blank.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

That whole thing felt like an attempt at humour which fell flat - while it was a necessity to reset the room every time the Rube Goldberg machine failed, I wonder if it would have been better having George imagine what would happen, and when it failed have him say ‘let’s try that again…’ and reset it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

That whole thing felt like an attempt at humour which fell flat - while it was a necessity to reset the room every time the Rube Goldberg machine failed, I wonder if it would have been better having George imagine what would happen, and when it failed have him say ‘let’s try that again…’ and reset it.

I didn't mind things being reset when they were set up wrong, such as the stun gun falling the wrong way. I just didn't understand why the harness and stun gun were reset when they were set up correctly, yet the puddle of baby oil remained.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We take control of Nico in this part of the game as she has a relaxing stroll around an abandoned facility in Arizona. What could go wrong?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of Nico's time in Arizona. We've still got some work to get to the end of the game but we're very close to it now. This will probably be over within a couple of more updates.

I remember playing this when it was released and probably still have the game box somewhere at my parents, but there hasn't been a whole lot that I have remembered about it. I definitely remembered the meat-packing plant segment but the rest of the game has been a blur. This has been the weakest game in the series for me, it's an okay adventure game but there has definitely been a drop in quality and the writing. The story and characters have been all over the place, the game engine has been pretty janky, and there have been a couple of game-breaking bugs are still present even now. George seemed to have redeemed himself in the early part of the game but he's resorted to being a petty dick as soon as Nico arrived on the scene, who has completely gone out of her way to rescue him and help him afterwards. There have been some good experiences with the game, Nico's return has been a particular delight but it definitely feels like she has been under-used.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 23, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
End of the game? I somehow get the feeling the plot hasn't even got going yet. Lots of weird pacing and seemingly inconsequential setpieces in this one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah - this does seem... Abrupt.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It still feels like they're setting things up. It would have been better if they started the Nico in Arizona storyline a lot earlier instead of making her have a surprise appearance halfway through.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George and Nico head back to the Vatican where the security is extremely lax and people discard luxury goods in public bins. The next video will most likely be the finale, we are very close to the end now. This was recorded after a tiring day at work, my speech isn't at its best in this recording.

Edit: I accidentally labelled the last video as part 17, I've fixed it now.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 23, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Haven't checked the dates but this game's guaranteed to have come out during the Da Vinci Code craze, right? Everyone wanted to get on that Catholic Church intrigue.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Haven't checked the dates but this game's guaranteed to have come out during the Da Vinci Code craze, right? Everyone wanted to get on that Catholic Church intrigue.

This game and The Da Vinci Code film where released in the same year (2006) so it wouldn't surprise me if the developers took some inspiration from it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Monoatomic Gold stuff may have also hit well in the time , since when zero-point energy was a bit of a fad thing, somehow monatomic elements were mixed up in some of the bogus claims about it. Although maybe not. Monoatomic Gold itself is an actual quack supplement (probably just some salt, and hopefully people are not ingesting actual gold or other metals that this stuff pretends to be) that came about in the 1970s, promoted by one guy with basically the crazy theories we see here (including the 'historical evidence'). I don't think the game is taking it seriously, but some of what it's doing kind of leans in the 'how crazy would it be if this were true?' direction.

It does kind of seem like the series has shifted a bit in its regard of conspiracy theories. The first BS 1 (even though the macguffin had genuine powers) was a little more on the side of Foucault's Pendulum, while now it is closer to The Da Vinci Code. I wouldn't say it's fully one way or the other, but it does kind of seem to be caught up in the excitement of it as the series has gone on. Or maybe it's just the people who worked on this one are very different than those who did the first game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Broken Sword: The Angel Of Death. This is probably one of the worst videos of made live on purpose. The performance in this section has been the worst so far, the graphics are painfully laggy and the audio cuts of the beginning of numerous lines of dialogue throughout. I tried to change the setting to improve performance but nothing was making the game perform at a reasonable level. This is an improvement over my test run though as the audio had desynched completely.

I was thinking about delaying the recording of this video as my tongue is swollen making talking difficult and giving me a lot of pain and discomfort. But I thought that this video was going to be a poo poo show anyway so I decided just to roll with it.

I had difficulties with the cross puzzle but thought that I had understood it after reading a guide. But as soon as the puzzle came up the dots in my head disconnected and I couldn't make any sense of it again.

I was going to do a death reel but I may have to abandon it if the performance is going to remain like this.

Kangra posted:

The Monoatomic Gold stuff may have also hit well in the time , since when zero-point energy was a bit of a fad thing, somehow monatomic elements were mixed up in some of the bogus claims about it. Although maybe not. Monoatomic Gold itself is an actual quack supplement (probably just some salt, and hopefully people are not ingesting actual gold or other metals that this stuff pretends to be) that came about in the 1970s, promoted by one guy with basically the crazy theories we see here (including the 'historical evidence'). I don't think the game is taking it seriously, but some of what it's doing kind of leans in the 'how crazy would it be if this were true?' direction.

It does kind of seem like the series has shifted a bit in its regard of conspiracy theories. The first BS 1 (even though the macguffin had genuine powers) was a little more on the side of Foucault's Pendulum, while now it is closer to The Da Vinci Code. I wouldn't say it's fully one way or the other, but it does kind of seem to be caught up in the excitement of it as the series has gone on. Or maybe it's just the people who worked on this one are very different than those who did the first game.

This game was a mixed bag for me. I appreciate that they tried to create a new story for the series but they still managed to shoehorn the Templars into the mix.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You voice comes across fine in the video... Which is more than can be said about the game which goes downright lazy. The Room of Exposition Tablets is particularly lazy, it feels that should have been information you recieve throughout the game more organically, say, instead of dodging gangsters.

All in all, not the best game in the series. What I found especially grating was how Nico kept getting sidelined and kidnapped, especially since she usually turns out the (way) more competent of the two.

There's one more game, right? Is it any better?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

You voice comes across fine in the video... Which is more than can be said about the game which goes downright lazy. The Room of Exposition Tablets is particularly lazy, it feels that should have been information you recieve throughout the game more organically, say, instead of dodging gangsters.

All in all, not the best game in the series. What I found especially grating was how Nico kept getting sidelined and kidnapped, especially since she usually turns out the (way) more competent of the two.

There's one more game, right? Is it any better?

They could have put those Latin verses on the PDA at some point but I suspect that they probably wanted to make an empty room feel less empty.

There is one more game left in the series and its definitely a return to form. The style of the game is quite similar to the first two games.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Couldn't even get the end credits to run properly, not to mention clean up the inventory.
and that way Anna-Maria disappears for like half the game and then conveniently dies to leave no complication between the main duo.

I'm disappointed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Couldn't even get the end credits to run properly, not to mention clean up the inventory.
and that way Anna-Maria disappears for like half the game and then conveniently dies to leave no complication between the main duo.

I'm disappointed.

I said before that Nico should have been introduced sooner. It would have worked better if they did something similar to the third game where both characters were doing their own thing and events eventually pulled them together.

Nico could easily have visited Arizona for journalistic reasons and the events there eventually lead upto discovering George has been taken prisoner in Instanbul. Instead we get Anna Maria disappearing, Nico suddenly appearing out of the blue and working with a Turkish double agent because reasons and then travelling halfway around the world and back in the time it takes George to walk around Rome.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Well that started well, and ended atrociously. Is Broken Sword 5 an improvement?

I’m trying to remember - was Nico’s voice an French voice artiste this time? It gave the impression of a French person hiding their accent when speaking in English, so they don’t sound French at all.

I’d enjoy a death reel if possible, as this douche version of George deserves to die horribly, but I understand if the game has just given up at this point!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Well that started well, and ended atrociously. Is Broken Sword 5 an improvement?

I’m trying to remember - was Nico’s voice an French voice artiste this time? It gave the impression of a French person hiding their accent when speaking in English, so they don’t sound French at all.

I’d enjoy a death reel if possible, as this douche version of George deserves to die horribly, but I understand if the game has just given up at this point!

Broken Sword 5 is a definite improvement, it's been a while since i played it but i remember enjoying it. Most of the reviews for the game were positive, metacritic has it sitting at 75% and it's currently at 89% on Steam. I looked at Broken Sword 4 and the ratings are 73% on metacritic and 45% on Steam.

Nico was voiced by a French person for the first and only time in this game. It seems like they were skimping a little on the voice acting in this game as she didn't have a major role in the game like she did before. I can't blame them for wanting to cut down on costs but it just makes the game seem a little bit more generic.

I will attempt a death reel but the clips may vary wildly in quality.

I've also noticed that all of the Broken Sword games are currently discounted by 80% on Steam right now.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I noticed cost-cutting in the voice department - it was very obvious with Nico’s first section in Phoenix where her dialogue was non-existent or one-word sentences (George did this a bit in the final video too). It’s an understandable cut, but annoyingly noticeable.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That was certainly a game. The pacing was all weird, and the final felt super rushed. Anyway I'm looking forward to number 5, the only one I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The death reel will have to be put on hold for now as the game is completely borked. I've reloaded old save games and started a new game and it's still in the same condition as what you saw in the finale. The game performance is horrible, even with the graphics turned down and at low resolutions, and the audio is cut at the start of some of the dialogue. I've also cleaned out the folder and re-installed the game and I'm still having issues. I'm not going to abandon this completely but I will have to try and find a fix for this before I attempt to do any further recordings. I will attempt to start Broken Swords 5 at some point this weekend.