Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Tiggum posted:

I liked how the way you cut it together kind of made it look like George got electrocuted on top of the train and it somehow made him fall back into it through the open door on the side.

I didn't notice that before and now I can't stop laughing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

While investigating a ruthless drug gang, journalist Nico Collard unexpectedly comes across an ancient artifact. Little can she know that the ornately carved obsidian stone will lead her, and her adventuring companion George Stobbart, into a mysterious escapade of intrigue and deceit, in which they must overcome powerful forces and antagonists who will stop at nothing to fulfil their evil ambitions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh boy, that sound mixing on the games part in the opening cutscenes was... Not... Good...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, at least we have some reasonable puzzling to begin with in that opening sequence. Although I was hoping we'd somehow make friends with the spider and carry it around with us for the rest of the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Oh boy, that sound mixing on the games part in the opening cutscenes was... Not... Good...

I believe that the remastered version fixes some of the sound balancing issues, the opening cutscene in the remastered version is of much higher quality. There's pros and cons to both versions, unfortunately.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, at least we have some reasonable puzzling to begin with in that opening sequence. Although I was hoping we'd somehow make friends with the spider and carry it around with us for the rest of the game.

The spider was just chilling out with us, it wasn't attacking us or getting aggressive. Even when we tried to crush it with our feet it just stepped backwards and didn't retaliate. Yet another innocent victim in George's quest for justice!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George visits the Glease Gallery, spikes someone's drink, and then dumps a dog in the river while following another lead.

Edit: I've decided that I'm going to start recording additional content sooner rather than later so I can keep up with things at a better pace. Although not trying to play two versions of the same game at the same time will probably help.

I've also had an offer of becoming part of the YouTube partner thing, well it's actually been offer for a while now but laying dormant. I decided to indulge in it but I was rejected on the grounds that the reviewer believed that my videos look repetitive and look mass produced. I'm not sure how I can mass produce 1990s adventure game playthroughs but there we have it. I wasn't interested in it until I decided to check my adsense out of curiosity and found ad revenue that has amassed over the last eight or nine years. Not enough to hit the limit so I can actually withdraw it but I could potentially do so in the next three or four years at this rate.

Edit x amount of times: grammar.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 12, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why have the protagonist spike a man's drink when said man would gladly accept the absinthe? Is that funny?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Classic adventure game protagonists are generally complete assholes and get away with a lot of sneaky bullshit.It probably wasn't considered funny, but it was definitely considered inoffensive back then; maybe they wanted to show George as a man of many talents.

Mind you, between his uncanny talent for spiking drinks and the scene with a tied-up Nico in the previous game, George now comes across as a complete creep.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not sure why they went with "spike the man's drink" to solve this puzzle. The guy was clearly unhappy with the wine and I'm sure they could have written a couple of lines where George offers him a top up of "the good stuff" and then he willingly obliges to the point of over indulgence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm not sure why they went with "spike the man's drink" to solve this puzzle. The guy was clearly unhappy with the wine and I'm sure they could have written a couple of lines where George offers him a top up of "the good stuff" and then he willingly obliges to the point of over indulgence.

Yeah it's... Extremely out of place.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George explores further down the docks and discovers the Condor Transglobal warehouse. George has a barrel of a time while trying to rescue Nico... :wotwot:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Part 1

This video contains extra dialogue with the Gendarme, the Garçon, Glease, the Marseille Docks Storage Guard, Pablo and Nico.

I didn't probe the Gendarme further and I probably should have done it originally. There's plenty of extra dialogue with the Guard but it required knocking on the window and walking through the door numerous times, I didn't really want to break the flow of the gameplay too much while recording. The extra dialogue with Pablo is the precursor to him opening the door and shooting you, something that I've kept for the death reel.

Death counter up to this point: Two

I'm still waiting on the first game to be archived, I'll move BSII into the OP as soon as it has been added.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George and Nico arrive in Quaramonte. It's market day so there are many people that they can speak to, we also come face to face with one of our greatest foes again!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
It astounds me how a game whose storyline wants to embrace history and culture and travels to so many locales ends up being so subtly racist!

George seems to keep on going round commenting about these inferior foreigners and walking around like a smug American dick.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Ah yes, the "American Tourist" and the "South American Freedom Fighter" disguises. Nobody will ever figure out our intrepid investigators are on the case!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the 90s were chock full of those kinds of racist tropes. They sucked then and they suck now.

But, I have a particular question, since (I can only assume, but just in case I am right, I'll put it behind spoilers) that there's going to be a hidden Native American culture that George manages to trick with all the talk of the eclipse - where does such a thing come from? I mean, I've seen it several times before... Tintin, I think Scrooge McDuck...

I ask in particular because a project I've been working on (translation of Blueberry comics in the BSS newspaper comic thread - you should check it out!) brought up the trope of blood-brother initiations in north Native American cultures... Which of course, was never a real thing. It apparently originated in German Westerns stories, Karl May and the like. I can only assume the spoilered prediction must have some kind of similar pulp-fiction origin?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Yeah, the 90s were chock full of those kinds of racist tropes. They sucked then and they suck now.

But, I have a particular question, since (I can only assume, but just in case I am right, I'll put it behind spoilers) that there's going to be a hidden Native American culture that George manages to trick with all the talk of the eclipse - where does such a thing come from? I mean, I've seen it several times before... Tintin, I think Scrooge McDuck...

I ask in particular because a project I've been working on (translation of Blueberry comics in the BSS newspaper comic thread - you should check it out!) brought up the trope of blood-brother initiations in north Native American cultures... Which of course, was never a real thing. It apparently originated in German Westerns stories, Karl May and the like. I can only assume the spoilered prediction must have some kind of similar pulp-fiction origin?

I honestly can't remember but I don't think that this is the case. I think that the whole eclipse thing is more of a trope. The newspaper page does come into play at some point but it's probably not going to be something you're going to expect until the time comes.

I know that the series so far has been culturally insensitive but it doesn't go as far as that down the path of ignorance.

Edit: Forgot to spoiler.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 19, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Having recently beaten this game, I can confirm that the spoilered bit doesn't happen. Hell, the game even subverts a few stereotypes that may surprise you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Walla posted:

Having recently beaten this game, I can confirm that the spoilered bit doesn't happen. Hell, the game even subverts a few stereotypes that may surprise you.

Oh good!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I think that I made a slight mistake in visiting the mining company first. The sequence to advance the plot is slightly convoluted in Quaramonte and now I'm going to have to be counter-intuitive in my approach to it. I probably should have replayed the whole area first instead of doing them in two halves but I wanted to leave the goat sequence at the end of the first video and it made more sense at the time to enter the building that I was directly outside of.

If you're interested in knowing what I'm talking about without spoiling anything and leaving out the usual gumpf that we do in each area:

I should have entered the police station, left the police station and then entered the mining company. Things would have progressed more naturally

Now I need to enter the police station, leave the police station, enter the police station\mining company and then leave again. I forgot that one of the characters temporarily complicates matters.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George & Nico visit the mining company and the police station and meet even more interesting people. This concludes our in the marketplace of Quaramonte, once more George throws Nico to the wolves to further his goals but then ends up getting into a pickle of his own.

This part was a pain in the arse to get through and I ended up restarting the recording a couple of times. I did do a test run and made some notes but I still had a couple of issues in getting the correct sequence of events nailed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

And I thought Apollo Justice was the game most egregious in using the word 'panties' of all time. I hate that word now - not that I was necessarily particularly keen on it before.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm recording additional content and it seems like the coal is two easter eggs in one. The piece of coal is an entirely optional inventory item and it's used to trigger the conversation with the goat. I've also found out that it's also the trigger for our thong-loving friend to get out of his chair to answer the fax when we use it as a topic of conversation with Conchita. As far as I know, there are two further easter eggs in the game. One of them I may get to show off, the other may have to be in a separate video as it was a developer's way of avoiding a puzzle entirely for playtesting. Some people probably already know what they both are.

I've also found out that you can have several different lines of dialogue depending on how you approach Duane. If you walk towards the police station then the conversation with Pearl happens automatically, you can avoid her completely if you take the back roads and initiate a conversation with him before speaking to Pearl. You can also speak to Duane for the first time while Oubier is there and Duane will give you some different answers to certain questions, he will also have new lines of dialogue when you return to him later.

Samovar posted:

And I thought Apollo Justice was the game most egregious in using the word 'panties' of all time. I hate that word now - not that I was necessarily particularly keen on it before.

I hardly ever hear the word these days. Apollo Justice is now fifteen years old, that's a sobering thought.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Part 2

This video contains additional dialogue with Duane, Ramirez, the Mining Office Employees, the Custom Guard, the Band Members, General Grasiento, Renaldo and Pearl. The timestamps are in the video.

I completed a test recording of Kingdom O' Magic earlier but there were some audio issues, which I've found out how to solve for the next attempted recording.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Will George escape from jail? Will Nico escape from the General trying to shag her? Found out in the latest episode of Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror.

This is another somewhat lengthy video and takes place in a variety of locations. I probably could have handled the pacing of Quaramonte a little more efficiently and in order to make a more dramatic cut in our departure but it is what it is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

For an race-against-the-clock attempt to save someone's life medically, that was incredibly sedate, George.

Also, goddamnit Francis Drake (I assume), will you ever stop ruining things?!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

For an race-against-the-clock attempt to save someone's life medically, that was incredibly sedate, George.

Also, goddamnit Francis Drake (I assume), will you ever stop ruining things?!

It must have been a very slow acting venom, one that can apparently be cured with an obscure root and not with anti-venom, for some reason.

He was just doing what rich English people did back then, a tradition that lasted centuries. And from the look of British politics over the last decade it seems like there's still a lot of people who want to keep those traditions alive.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There's a stone in the Caribbean and a stone in London, guess who gets to go to the island paradise? This video covers the first part of Ketch Island entirely.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

George seemed to jump into the conclusion that Bronson is a cheat and a dickhead very quickly, he turned out to be right but still.
Also gently caress apologists of criminals against humanity, gently caress'em.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Huh, the etymology of the word theodolite is apparently unknown, at least according to Google. I would have thought something to do with religion.

Also, how the hell did he manage to fit that down his pants.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 27, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was going to start recording more additional footage but I'm starting a new game instead and trying to power through to catch up. Now that I know that Rio will accept other items I'm going to need a save file where I don't pick up the worm at the start of the game. When I resume recording additional footage I'm going to have to start out back in Quaramonte as I forgot to ask Oubier whether he murdered his wife. There may also be an additional thing that I can do in the police station which I will be checking out at some point.

Also, when did they add achievements to the Steam version? It seems like they've just suddenly appeared and I can't remember seeing them before now.

By popular demand posted:

George seemed to jump into the conclusion that Bronson is a cheat and a dickhead very quickly, he turned out to be right but still.
Also gently caress apologists of criminals against humanity, gently caress'em.

The only thing that I can think of is Bronson being an arrogant dick to George saying hello and asking him if he is a surveyor. Bronson's abruptness and secrecy over his plans could easily have been down to him being at work and his professionalism. Rio is the one who calls Bronson a crook and I don't see George coming to the conclusion that he is a dickhead until he gets threatened, he does express some guilt for leaving him hanging from the pole.

Samovar posted:

Huh, the etymology of the word theodolite is apparently unknown, at least according to Google. I would have thought something to do with religion.

Also, how the hell did he manage to fit that down his pants.

He graduated from the Guybrush Threepwood school of Inventory Management.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Did I miss how George and Nico managed to get a flight home? Last thing I saw they were stranded in the middle of the jungle, and couldn’t leave without an exit visa. Given what they did in the town, I don’t see them happily going back and leaving without a major issue.

And while George is enjoying time in the Caribbean, I’m sure Nico is having fun in London. Maybe Lobineau can hang out with her…

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Did I miss how George and Nico managed to get a flight home? Last thing I saw they were stranded in the middle of the jungle, and couldn’t leave without an exit visa. Given what they did in the town, I don’t see them happily going back and leaving without a major issue.

And while George is enjoying time in the Caribbean, I’m sure Nico is having fun in London. Maybe Lobineau can hang out with her…

I've been wondering the same thing and I can only speculate. Although the only reasons I can think of wouldn't explain why Father Hubert remains apart from further guilt of neglecting his parental responsibilities.

It seems like the option of an exit visa is out of the question after the events of Quaramonte, unless they were able to contact a French or American embassy to smooth things over.

The only other option I can think of is the village. One of the guards spoke about how well documented in media the village is. My thinking is that the village is easily accessible and not too distant from a river and probably fairly close to an urban town (I'm not sure of the correct term). It would make sense that the village would also have a radio seeing as it is has a lot of contact outside of its usual realm.........

.......I've written all of this out and I've just remembered Pearl and Duane and how they drove to Quaramonte in their fertiliser filled truck... :doh:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Nice! I only played #5 after it was included in Xbox Gold. I'm really curious about the earlier games, will follow for sure.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know, never mind everything else about these games but they have very nice animation. Looks like it might have been rotoscoped?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the first part of Nico's time in London and the second part of George's time in the Caribbean in their entirety. I wasn't intending to do an update right now but things seemed to have worked out quite nicely. I've been updating pretty frequently so I'm going to take some time recording more additional footage so people can catch up and before things start to run away too quickly.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Nice! I only played #5 after it was included in Xbox Gold. I'm really curious about the earlier games, will follow for sure.

I really enjoyed the fifth game and I'm looking forward to playing it again, partly because I missed an achievement involving an obscure easter egg.

Crazy Achmed posted:

You know, never mind everything else about these games but they have very nice animation. Looks like it might have been rotoscoped?

From what I've read, everything was hand-drawn in the first two games.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Teleporting children are much more terrifying than zombies, George.

Also, there seems to be an odd character design choice of guards standing around with their chests thrust out extremely far. Reminds me of Asterix and Obelix.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Teleporting children are much more terrifying than zombies, George.

Also, there seems to be an odd character design choice of guards standing around with their chests thrust out extremely far. Reminds me of Asterix and Obelix.

Part of the guard code is having the ability to stand with your nipples stretched as far apart as possible for long periods of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Part 3

I've taken an extra day off work, it's my youngest daughter's birthday today, I'm not seeing her until tomorrow but I'm still making preparations. I've had some extra free time so I decided to record more additional footage. This video contains more dialogue with Professor Oubier, Miguel, General Grasiento, the Village Guardians, the Ketch Sisters, the Cat, Bronson, Rio and some extra footage involving the Inner Tube. The time stamps are in the video description.