Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've decided to play the original (somewhat) alongside the Director's Cut for a number of reasons. As much as the newer version has added a brand new story arc, the developer's have cut a lot more than they actually added to the game as it was originally made for the Nintendo DS and Wii U. A lot of dialogue has been cut, hotspots have been removed, puzzles have either been cut or replaced with mini-games, death scenes have been removed and all signs of blood has been edited out. As much as Nicole's extra scenes are a nice addition, they chopped other content out of the game in an effort to trim the game size down to fit Nintendo's size specifications.

It's been some time since I played this game, so my memories of it are hazy. And I've got to say, I remembered liking this game but I'm still surprised at how good it is so far. Some really good dialogue, and an impressive amount of effort put into the details.

The "director's cut" (which I've never played) has not done anything to impress me so far though. So far, so generic. And is it just me or does it actually look worse than the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The dialogue in this game is so good. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

As you can see from the banner, there's also an unnecessary close-up for one of the puzzles towards the end of the chapter.
Also, the rods sticking out of the back of the statue are weirdly short in the zoomed-in version. They don't match the zoomed-out animation at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I understand why you'd take out the joke about Nurse Grendel for an updated version (especially when you're already removing a bunch of other stuff), but it's an odd decision to leave the entire setup and only remove the punchline.

Here is my take on it, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Moerlin calls Imelda about Carchon and she makes an appointment with him to visit. She is expecting him, he has an open invitation to enter the property and be in close contact with her but for some reason, he breaks into\lockpicks the door and then cuts the intercom to the front door. She doesn't know what he looks like yet he decides to dress up in a Cavalier costume while he kills her, for some reason, and if it wasn't for Imelda's call to Nico then we wouldn't know about this fact. And this all happens on the same day when Moerlin was also in Ireland?
That matches my understanding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I liked how the way you cut it together kind of made it look like George got electrocuted on top of the train and it somehow made him fall back into it through the open door on the side.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

After the first episode I was interested in where the story would go, but yeah both the "fanwanky"-ness and George being really grumpy are putting me off, but I guess it is pretty impressive for a fan game.
It's always particularly disappointing to see that so much effort has been put into something so bad. At least if it was low-effort garbage you could dismiss it as being about what you'd expect, but clearly people put a lot of time and work into this and it's such a shame that they didn't make something better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I don’t like complaining, since it’s a fan effort, but was there no feedback on the guy doing George’s voice? The bits of French and German he spoke at the beginning were atrocious, and that pronunciation of Marseilles was painful.
The voice acting is about the last thing I'd complain about in this game. The audio quality is decent and they're clearly amateurs doing their best. I've heard much worse in professionally made games that were sold for money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The banter in this section is honestly the first indication (that I can remember so far) that George and Nico actually do like each other - at least sometimes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nothing in this section makes any sense, but I do find it amusing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I’m lost on the timeline here - a flight from Rome to Phoenix has to be at a minimum 12 hours; probably more since there’s airport time and most likely transfer time. In all reasonableness, Nico will be gone 2 days.
Meanwhile, in those 2 days, George goes straight to the massage parlour, goes back to get a pass, goes in the parlour, meets Dwayne and gets caught. Feels like somethings missing at George’s end…
Spent two days drunk? It's plausible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why would you repair the shredder and then try to put the document back together, instead of rescuing the half-shredded document from the broken shredder? :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I really enjoy the casual rapport between George and Nico in this game. It's not the same style as the first game, but I think it's the first time the series has returned to being as well-written as the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This was the painting that I was referring to in the video:

Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe by Manet

If he was creating a forgery, why would he replace the people from the original? It would be spotted instantly. I know it's just there for a quick joke, but that's dumb. Just leave out the bit about it being an attempted forgery.