Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
How fortunate for George that there must’ve been a Dr. Stobbard somewhere in the hospital. After all, Benoit was very quick to say there’s no Dr. Braille - surely someone should have caught George out as an imposter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

So it’s fair game for Nico to get jealous and attack George about the Countess, but one mention of Andre and she throws a tantrum? It’s getting harder to like both these characters…

Although the hidden Annus Horribilis in the bible verse puzzle did make me smile!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

:siren: You may be interested in the conversation with the Police Station Officer if you haven't spoken to him at this part in the game before. It contains important information about one of the characters that can easily be missed at this point. The conversation starts at the 04:33 mark. :siren:

Is there any point to this revelation in the story? It feels a bit out of left field and unnecessary.

Also, after the multiple attempts to go up the stairs, I’m kinda disappointed you don’t get a game over after Lopez has you arrested.

While I’m not a fan of unnecessary game overs in adventure games, I don’t mind them when you intentionally force it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I guess the question is which is preferable to play - would you rather have the hotspots or have you played it enough that you know it backwards?

Personally I’d prefer the original, but if the changes are so minor then I’d rather you do which is more convenient.

As an aside, it’s hilarious watching the death compilation and seeing Nico watch the man she’s fallen in love with get shot on the train and doesn’t react. Cold blooded…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

It astounds me how a game whose storyline wants to embrace history and culture and travels to so many locales ends up being so subtly racist!

George seems to keep on going round commenting about these inferior foreigners and walking around like a smug American dick.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Did I miss how George and Nico managed to get a flight home? Last thing I saw they were stranded in the middle of the jungle, and couldn’t leave without an exit visa. Given what they did in the town, I don’t see them happily going back and leaving without a major issue.

And while George is enjoying time in the Caribbean, I’m sure Nico is having fun in London. Maybe Lobineau can hang out with her…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I think my problem with George’s voice is that it’s clearly someone from Europe, so he doesn’t sound American. In spite of this, I’m impressed with this so far - it’s definitely got the feel of the previous games! I guess having Germans working on this is a good sign given how they kept the point and click love going when the US market went sour on it.

I’m a bit confused by the timeline - the use of Euros and mobile phone technology would put this in early 2000s, but the previous games would still be the late 90s. Has it taken years to fix the cafe? (I’m sure there’s a ‘hilarious’ joke about French work crews here…)

I’m assuming the three games so far are supposed to take place relatively close to each other so they’re always set ‘today’, and we’re supposed to just disregard any anachronisms - otherwise George seems to be a very neglectful boyfriend, and it’s little wonder Lobineau sees him as an ex boyfriend…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Given that this is such a well made game, it's a shame that the actual story is complete fanwanky arse.

The plotline and events of Broken Sword has been frequently mentioned, with precious few original locations and a seeming persistence to have to go back to every location with an unsubtle 'remember this place, guys??' attitude. Events from Broken Sword, which are now 7 years old, are remembered by characters with such alacrity it borders on the implausible (both the receptionist and the waitress remember George perfectly?).

George is written atrociously, with a dislike of Lobineau which borders on the psychotic (at this point he's dragged out a long-distance relationship for best part of a decade - if I was Nico I'd be getting tired of waiting and having someone like Lobineau who's there and showing interest in her seems a much better option), a disrespect for Nico by going through her purse and stealing underwear and a sweater from her as well as contemplating wanton destruction of her property just because he dislikes it. This George is just a walking red flag. The persistent suicide jokes feel like German humour gone wrong rather than a less than sensitive look at depression.

The improbable return of Guido and Flap (and clearly we have Dwayne and Pearl coming, since their voice artists were credited in the opening credits) just takes away the legitimacy of filling the gaps between BS2 and BS3, and turns it into a Broken Sword's Greatest Hits.

What I am wondering now is whether this is better played between BS2 and BS3, or to play it after whichever the last game was before it was actually released?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t like complaining, since it’s a fan effort, but was there no feedback on the guy doing George’s voice? The bits of French and German he spoke at the beginning were atrocious, and that pronunciation of Marseilles was painful.

Also, it feels like there was something missing before the scene with Nico - the last time they spoke she basically told him to gently caress off, and now they’re suddenly back to normal?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The dog whistle puzzle reminded me of the puzzle in Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush has to climb the tree, but at least that had the fortitude to repeat the task a few times and then have the game take over.

I’m a bit confused where they are - the train would suggest they’re on the London Underground, but when they get off they’re still apparently still in York (based on the football team)?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m going to assume that final shot of the video was you giving up on the game entirely? :)

It’s frustrating - there are the bones of good puzzles here such as sneaking into the museum or getting past the guard, but they’re just so poorly resolved!

Did I miss where George realized he has to go back to France and (now Portugal) to find Nico? Video game logic aside, I’d have thought the logical assumption would be to look in the UK…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

What was the response to this game at the time?

I’d say most people here are fans of the series (or at least care about it), and I think it’s fair to say the overall response has been mostly unanimous in that it’s a great and impressive endeavour however let down by a poor story, odd characterization and disappointing puzzles.

I’m just curious whether we’re just miserable sods, or if the community as a whole felt the same?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Having only really played BS1 and some of 2, I’m really looking forward to seeing where 3 starts, and why the gap between the two led people to think a game was needed to bridge the gap.

For a fan-made game, it’s really strong - visually and musically it feels like a continuation of the previous games. The 3D animation feels out of place, but without knowing what’s coming I can’t say whether it’s going to be in line with future games.

As has been pointed out, the writing lets it down (although to be fair, while the idea of the Templars building a time machine is dumb, it doesn’t feel as bad when comparing it to the climaxes of the other games!) There is definitely some poor characterization - especially with George, but also other things like George meeting so many Templars experts in the strangest of places!

There are definitely some odd writing decisions which should have been edited (such as the killer on the bench, or the guy going on about airlines deliberately poisoning people) as they feel more like writers with Things To Say rather than anything to push the plot forward.

It also suffers by traveling all over the world, and not doing anything with it - everything seemed confined to one location without traveling to places on the map. It’s more like an escape room than an adventure game.

I do wonder where the game was when they got the assets from the official games - a lot of the old familiar locations seemed forced in unnecessarily, and I wonder how much was rewritten to accommodate them. Maybe we would have had a less fanwanky game had they not gotten the assets and felt obliged to use them all?

At the end of the day, the fact it exists, plays well and feels like a Broken Sword game is success enough - especially for a fan game! It would be interesting though to see someone take a second stab at it and try and fix the problems with it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I wanted to wait until we got further into the game, but I've still not figured out just what narrative gaps Broken Sword 2.5 was trying to fix?

I had assumed it might be something with George and Nico's relationship, but 2.5 ended with them happily going off on vacation somewhere, and then 3 starts with them having broken up.

I'm glad to hear that 4 goes back to a more traditional gameplay style, as while I appreciate what they've been doing with 3, the interminable block puzzles have added to a general feeling of something not feeling right.

Although (just to be controversial), am I alone in preferring to see a Nico-centric game rather than a George-centric game? I enjoyed her segment in the castle much more than the bits where George was in charge...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Well that was an ending! Susarro was killed, Petra got away and George, Nico and Bruno stopped the machine.

And nothing else happened after that….

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m kinda impressed Juanita knew to write the door code on the paper rather than something like Help!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m sure there’s an alternate take somewhere where George pushes the cabinet into the bonecrusher, it grinds open the door and the manuscript and precious MP3 player get ground to shreds…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I can't remember seeing anything about that but if you can find something I'd be interested.

Sorry - that’s just my facetiousness coming out about how lucky George was to push the filing cabinet and have the manuscript nicely fall out to the ground rather than into the grinder :)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Did George really need to play l33t hacker in order to find a phone number?

I’m disappointed - the beginning few parts of this game were a lot of fun, but ever since Nico came back George seems has to turned into a bigger dick. Not Nico’s fault, but it seems she brings out the worst.

And wouldn’t anyone notice him having an overblown Texas accent when shouting at the guards and then changing it when talking to the nuns?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m lost on the timeline here - a flight from Rome to Phoenix has to be at a minimum 12 hours; probably more since there’s airport time and most likely transfer time. In all reasonableness, Nico will be gone 2 days.
Meanwhile, in those 2 days, George goes straight to the massage parlour, goes back to get a pass, goes in the parlour, meets Dwayne and gets caught. Feels like somethings missing at George’s end…

Still, I liked the story idea of George getting drunk after thinking Nico was killed because of him - it’s a shame overall it contributed nothing to the game.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Spent two days drunk? It's plausible.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the timeline, but I thought Nico was already back in Rome when she was apparently killed.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

That whole thing felt like an attempt at humour which fell flat - while it was a necessity to reset the room every time the Rube Goldberg machine failed, I wonder if it would have been better having George imagine what would happen, and when it failed have him say ‘let’s try that again…’ and reset it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Well that started well, and ended atrociously. Is Broken Sword 5 an improvement?

I’m trying to remember - was Nico’s voice an French voice artiste this time? It gave the impression of a French person hiding their accent when speaking in English, so they don’t sound French at all.

I’d enjoy a death reel if possible, as this douche version of George deserves to die horribly, but I understand if the game has just given up at this point!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I noticed cost-cutting in the voice department - it was very obvious with Nico’s first section in Phoenix where her dialogue was non-existent or one-word sentences (George did this a bit in the final video too). It’s an understandable cut, but annoyingly noticeable.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Fromage de chèvre is goat cheese - and very good it is too! It’s probably a lot more common on the continent :)

This is already looking so much better than 3 and 4 - no unnecessary action and simple puzzle solving! Did something happen behind the scenes and they wanted to go back to a traditional Broken Sword game?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I thought the same thing - whilst there’s proof elsewhere of forgery, a painting clearly spoofing an existing piece of work is definitely not the slam dunk George seems to think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Samovar posted:

George really is calm for a man stuck on the roof of a burning building.

He survived being tied to a chair in a burning building with a poisonous spider about to kill him. This is just an inconvenience!