Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Nice! I only played #5 after it was included in Xbox Gold. I'm really curious about the earlier games, will follow for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Finally caught up with the thread. It was interesting for me to see how much the fifth game mirrors the first one in terms of story and locations if not puzzles. George is less of a dick than in the first game (hornets aside) but that Birth of a Nation reference was :chloe: I also don't like the voice acting for Nicole in Smoking Mirror compared to Templars, often she sounds flat and bored.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Raoul is a sleazy weirdo, but I don't think anyone with his apparent upbringing could ever come out of it well adjusted. When it came down to what mattered he stood up for himself and did the right thing.

I think that Jennifer Caron Hall started off a little shaky at the start of The Smoking Mirror but as time went on I barely noticed the difference compared to Hazel Ellerby's voice acting apart from the inflection. Maggie Nolan will be taking over as Nicole in 2.5 and then Sarah Crook in 3.

What is the reference that you are referring too?

On the beach on Zombie Island where they were filming, George mentioned "Birth of a Nation" in a positive light a 1915 movie which while very technically ahead of it's time is also very racist, very white supremacist, and very pro-KKK.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
After the first episode I was interested in where the story would go, but yeah both the "fanwanky"-ness and George being really grumpy are putting me off, but I guess it is pretty impressive for a fan game.

As for the arctic comment, the woman in the manor said the office was at the end of the Northwest Passage, which is the name of the sea route between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans through the Arctic Ocean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
York having not only an airport, but an international hub airport, as well as a subway system, maybe they confused it with New York?

Also, will the strange change in relationship between Nico and George be addressed? She seemed to hate him at the beginning and now it's like they've never had a falling out at all.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
It's like there is missing dialogue from Khan dropping a hint or something that he is looking for the seal and needs Nico for it. I haven't played this game, I just assume Khan and Nico will be in Portugal and that Nico is essential for Khan/The Neo Templar's plans for *reasons*.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Is it just me, or did the female voice on the TV in the Paris scene sound a lot like Nico from the earlier games? Or is that the point that she's a TV journalist now. I guess I'll have to find out.

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta say the graphics are really nice for 2003. A lot of care went into animating these models.

Came to say the same thing, a lot of 3D from that time has not aged well, this looks fine.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I didn't get the part after Nico slammed the fridge door in the assassins face. The assassin then cocks the gun, shouts "drat" and runs away? Did the gun jam? Was she out of bullets? It wasn't at all clear to me.

Also, it's strange to see Nico in pants and not in a skirt.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That guy in the robes totally looked like emperor Palpatine.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
You're right, that was a Mercedes star on the black cars. Modeled after the Mercedes 600, the car favoured by dictators and industrialists alike.

quote:

Nicolae Ceaușescu, Fidel Castro, Saddam Hussein, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Muammar Gaddafi, Kim Il-Sung, Kim Jong-il and Leonid Brezhnev

List stolen from this article: https://www.shuttlechoice.ro/en/fascinating-lineup-people-owned-mercedes-benz-600-grosser/ they also could have added Idi Amin.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Finally caught up with the last two videos. Am I just blind or did I just totally miss the part where the dragon killed Petra? I tried to re-watch it but I just couldn't see it :dafuq:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Juanita don't get all thirsty for George, he's kind of a moron.
Also that cop is going above and beyond the call of duty in being a dickhead, yes officer i'll be sure to leave any kidnap victims to languish when I could help.

In other words, a realistic depiction of a NYPD officer?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Finally caught up with the thread again. I forgot to mention it earlier but I was surprised that we didn't see Pearl and Duane in 3, wonder if they'll be back here. The Vatican seems perfect for American tourists.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That was certainly a game. The pacing was all weird, and the final felt super rushed. Anyway I'm looking forward to number 5, the only one I've played.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Awesome, I was looking forward to this one. I noticed how much I like the music in 5.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
And yet he still served Laine!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Kangra posted:

He mentions 'running dogs', 'spring', 'barricades', 'tear gas', etc. He's pretty obviously talking about May '68. Though if he was actually around to do protesting of any sort in 1968, I'll eat my bonnet rouge.

Yeah 68 was also my first thought, which would make him a boomer. Funny thing, in Norwegian boomers are often referred to as "68's" or "the 68 generation" as those 1968 protest were seen as defining for that generation.

Barricades and tear gas could also work for the yellow jackets protests if it were not for the game coming out five years before that was a thing.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I thought George was from Idaho and not California?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Annette listening to horse racing, and her rubber gloves do seem like nods to previous games. And Bassam does remind me more than a little about Nejo.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I remember that puzzle very well, I pretty much went "wow seriously?". I thought the point would be to oil the gears to reverse out the paper and get like a half-shredded letter or something.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
The typewriter desk puzzle really managed to confuse me when I played the game, it was one of three places where I just gave up and checked the internet for a walkthrough. I was so confused that even with the in-game hint system I just couldn't do it. Watching it again, it's so obvious lol.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
This LP has reminded me that I really like that Jasmine song.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm still not clear on Medovsky's plan, he wanted to sell the painting and then have it stolen to get the insurance. He would have to steal it, get the insurance, and then sell a "hot" painting, like who would want to pay anywhere near full market price for a stole painting? Unless there's some third layer of the scam where he somehow gets the painting back? I'm way overthinking this.

As for Medovsky being sloppy, I think the Russian invasion of Ukraine has show that a lot of Russians in positions of power are indeed sloppy.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
When playing this, I was so stuck on the blue green red light puzzle. It just didn't occur to me that there was a lens cap I had to remove first lol.

One of my favorite Iron Maiden songs is about the siege of the castle of Monstsegur by Catholics trying to eradicate the Cathars. It's fittingly called Montsegur.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That musical notes puzzle really, really annoyed me as well when I played the game. It felt so cheap that you have to know notes to solve it. It was one of two places in the game where I just said gently caress it and looked at a guide online. The other puzzle I think will come up in the next video.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That "south" symbol was the second puzzle that annoyed me and I had to look up a guide. I remember I was so convinced I was right about it meaning "Young City" that I didn't bother to double check it. I thought the mistake must have been with my numbers, or with "burning region" which kinda could be volcano as well as desert.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

The symbol you got stuck on is a bit of a stretch, but it kind of makes sense in hindsight:

From where you start at the east river, directly to the south is the Ju-Ha Young Cities, marked on the map as e. If you read the symbol as "Look towards the region of Ju-Ha Young Cities," you'd be facing directly south.

Yeah I guess. The more I think about it, the more sense your explanation makes. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I decided to google the platinum 12 ruble, I don't know much about coins. Seems like top valuation is around $115K

Anyway, the appearance of George and Nico in the chapel is extra funny since the stone door does make noise when it opens, so Langham and his goons didn't even hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the series, really enjoyed it. Like I said, I was very curious about the other games in the series having only played The Serpents Curse.