Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just started watching this LP. The writing is better than I was expecting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man, George gets really judgy in this video.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh man, there were more games in this series? I had no idea.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oy, 90's racism. Still, enjoying the LP.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Huh... That Baphomet being a mispronunciation of Mohammed makes sense. Y'see something similar re. Confucius and Kong-Tzu

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry to hear about the sleep, but glad to hear about the foxes!

Also, I think this might be the ONE time in the entirety of V.A. history where a line flub (around 3:46) actually adds to the role.

Although that cop could have saved some sleep if he just read some Baroness Orczy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy, I'm 'looking' 'forward' to how Scotland is represented here, especially considering how every other country has been represented...

...well, except Spain.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It was a bit sudden, yes. But Stirling! And St. Ninian's! I'm sure I've been church once or twice, but I primarily associate Stirling with my dear ol' Nonno and Nonna. They were a janny and a teacher at the school named after the church back in the day.

And while Khan's V.A. put in a good effort... It was pretty obvious that he wasn't Scottish in his last disguise. Or a woman.

Also, I always thought Baphomet was pronounced Bah-pho-met, not Bafo-met.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy, that sound mixing on the games part in the opening cutscenes was... Not... Good...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm not sure why they went with "spike the man's drink" to solve this puzzle. The guy was clearly unhappy with the wine and I'm sure they could have written a couple of lines where George offers him a top up of "the good stuff" and then he willingly obliges to the point of over indulgence.

Yeah it's... Extremely out of place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the 90s were chock full of those kinds of racist tropes. They sucked then and they suck now.

But, I have a particular question, since (I can only assume, but just in case I am right, I'll put it behind spoilers) that there's going to be a hidden Native American culture that George manages to trick with all the talk of the eclipse - where does such a thing come from? I mean, I've seen it several times before... Tintin, I think Scrooge McDuck...

I ask in particular because a project I've been working on (translation of Blueberry comics in the BSS newspaper comic thread - you should check it out!) brought up the trope of blood-brother initiations in north Native American cultures... Which of course, was never a real thing. It apparently originated in German Westerns stories, Karl May and the like. I can only assume the spoilered prediction must have some kind of similar pulp-fiction origin?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Walla posted:

Having recently beaten this game, I can confirm that the spoilered bit doesn't happen. Hell, the game even subverts a few stereotypes that may surprise you.

Oh good!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

And I thought Apollo Justice was the game most egregious in using the word 'panties' of all time. I hate that word now - not that I was necessarily particularly keen on it before.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

For an race-against-the-clock attempt to save someone's life medically, that was incredibly sedate, George.

Also, goddamnit Francis Drake (I assume), will you ever stop ruining things?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Huh, the etymology of the word theodolite is apparently unknown, at least according to Google. I would have thought something to do with religion.

Also, how the hell did he manage to fit that down his pants.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 27, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Teleporting children are much more terrifying than zombies, George.

Also, there seems to be an odd character design choice of guards standing around with their chests thrust out extremely far. Reminds me of Asterix and Obelix.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...did I miss something in this game or the last one, or is Nico being extremely blase about the existence of ghosts?!

Also, I'm pretty darn sure that Rio's comment about George looking out for the 'living dead' specifically is a Romeo reference.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oof. Timing puzzles in point-and-clicks are never very well done.

And, use this as evidence against me when I'm being brought before the Revolutionary Court accused of being a member of the bourgeoisie if you will, but I've never heard anyone use 'frothy coffee' as synonym for cappuccino seriously.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, Raoul. Your (what I assume) are your last words, and you mess up the reference of the object of the verb. It's who sacrifices whom!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nico, that was very inappropriate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy, did that opening cutscenes give me some Limbo of the Lost vibes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If you're not a big fan of fanwankery and characters returning that make no logical sense you're going to love the next part! I'm going to attempt a recording tonight and I already know where I'm going to end it.

Oh oh oh dear.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I'm definitely not going to complain about the voice acting, especially as they probably did it for free.

I can sympathize with that (since I have done EXACTLY that myself).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, it's something I've mentioned a couple of times elsewhere in the forums - but X-com 2 has an international voice pack as a mod, and I did the Scottish Male soldier voice, entirely free of charge (I just figured it would be a good laugh, and something to do while I was searching for work).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'll say this much - the icon of a literal sword being broken by a bolt of lightning is evocative. Of what, well - I suppose we'll find out!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What the hell was THAT Looney tunes poo poo in the flat?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wait a second, I think I see something untoward... Total speculation on my part, but: I don't think mystery woman is the killer, we've found an ejected bullet casing, but she was using a revolver. They really don't commonly eject bullet casings

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh dang. So much for me trying to be smart.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Could never finish Foucault's Pendulum. Felt like a joke that goes on for too long. Still, I was pleasantly surprised to see the first game being acknowledged the way it was in this vid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm attempting to do a test run for the next recording and the game has suddenly decided to revert back to the default resolution. To make changes to the resolution the game needs to restart and with every restart, the resolution was stuck at 800x600. After a quick search, I've found out that enabling Windows XP compatibility fixes the problem and it seems to have done it for now. But it's weird that this has happened after I'd already loaded the game numerous times already without any issues.

Sympathies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I was hoping the book from the Governor of Alcatraz would open up a passage behind the bookshelf.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does... Does she know how to USE a gun?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This woman is the worst assassin of all time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

'Smooth-faced' as an insult is pretty small potatoes, Nico - especially when the person in question has a beard.

Also, oh my God, Beatrice is going to be become a follower of Q in the future.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wasn't expecting the game itself to reference Castlevania, but I am glad that the survivors from Shadow Moses found employment after the Incident.

Edit: I also like the way the guards are continually cocking their guns. That way you know they're armed.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 1, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What was the reference? I've never played Castlevania.

Oops, my brain is broken and erroneously claimed that Nicole's last name was Belmont, not Collard. Sorry.

And boy, oh boy, I thought the first game's attempt at a Scottish accent was... Not good...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Neat!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The banter in this section is honestly the first indication (that I can remember so far) that George and Nico actually do like each other - at least sometimes.

It reminds me of some of the banter I've heard from old radio shows.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I confess - I was NOT expecting to see that boy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

VOICE ACTING!