Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well yeah, after the accents in the voice acting we've been experiencing, I have some very low expectations for this game's idea of a Syrian village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, uh, George was never the best human being to begin with but he's really taken a hard turn into creep town.
Given Nicole's connection to the storyline and how she was portrayed at the start of the game, I'm surprised that she wasn't a playable character for more of the game. Given how much globetrotting happens in an implausibly short space of time, I wonder if it was meant to be more of a 50/50 split and it got cut?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, at least we have some reasonable puzzling to begin with in that opening sequence. Although I was hoping we'd somehow make friends with the spider and carry it around with us for the rest of the game.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know, never mind everything else about these games but they have very nice animation. Looks like it might have been rotoscoped?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This may have been the intention all along, but it feels like they really doubled down on trying to make George into a store-brand Indiana Jones. Especially in the "turbulent and somewhat problematic relationship with female lead" way.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My thoughts exactly. I can't help but compare these games to Fate of Atlantis, which I'm sure must have been an inspiration. By and large they've handled the transition to 3D quite well, the controls seem OK and the stealth is forgiving - it looks easier to recognise when the game thinks you're hidden than it was in 2D. Never mind the bits where George and Nico are yelling at each other while ten guards with machine guns are clearly in earshot, though.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, that was certainly an ending. Fitting how it finished on some buttrock.
At least Harry got a decent send-off?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, so far this game is feeling a lot more Max Payne than Broken Sword to me. But hey, I'm still interested to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I can only remember the first Max Payne so this is a little over my head. Graphics or mechanically?
OK, so definitely not in terms of gunplay and bullet time, but the setting and graphics are really standng out to me.
This one so far has been constrained to a gloomy downtown setting at night, tons of browns in the colour pallette, and has a very pulp noir sort of feel - the killer dame bringing trouble behind her into our dingy downtown office, mob thugs chasing us through abandoned slums, dingy hotels, and a mob-run slaughterhouse. Contrast this to the first few games, which had relatively bright and colourful graphics, and plenty of jet-setting between varied locales, ancient temples and cathedrals and the like. I'm sure it'll branch out as we get past the first act, though.